Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

This is the thread where we talk about the 27th season of The Simpsons.

Yes, this show is still on, and we're still not sure when it'll end. Whenever I think Fox is done ordering new episodes, they announce another two seasons.

Yes, Al Jean is still the showrunner.

Yes, we know the show's greatest days are long behind us.

Yes, the show's been in "bucket list" mode for a few seasons now. The past few years had a non-Halloween Kang/Kodos episode. And episode with LEGO. And a talking rag. And a Futurama crossover. And one where they go to Antarctica. And a handful of celebrity vehicles. And (admittedly good) episode based on a 1990 script written by a then-obscure Judd Apatow. It's been weird the past few years.

No, Harry Shearer isn't leaving. The voice of Skinner, Ned Flanders, and Mr. Burns worked out a deal with the show after all so he can stay on.

Yes, it looks like they're going through with the marriage separation thing. I'm not quite sure how long it's supposed to last. Homer will probably have to save his marriage again. I don't have high hopes for it. At least the "actual future" episodes (which does not include the episode which mentions a Trump presidency) showed Marge and Homer still together, so we don't have to deal with pretend tension.

Season Premiere
Every Man's Dream

September 27, 2015 - 8/7c on FOX

Season 27 begins with Homer being diagnosed as a narcoleptic, which sends him on a bender, after which he returns home drunk. This prompts a visit to a marriage counselor and results in a trial separation from Marge, during which Homer finds himself a 20-something companion. Lena Dunham, Jemima Kirke, Zosia Mamet, and Allison Williams guest star. Also, Laura Ingraham.

Simpsons Quote thread
Season 26 thread
Season 25 thread
Trumptastic Voyage
Don Hertzfeldt Couch Gag
Rick and Morty Couch Gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Worst episode ever will be covering this episode as it comes out.

http://www.weepodcast.com/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been watching the Simpsons since day one. I now watch out of habit, like SNL, in hopes I'll get to see a great episode.

At this time, season 17 is the last one available as a DVD box set (a no-frills set of season 20 was issued to take advantage of the mid-season switch to HD). The rumor is that, due to decreasing sales and the rise of streaming services, they will not offer any future sets. It seems that they could go to MOD (Manufacture on Demand) for the hardcore fans who must have pristine copies.

I have bought several TV shows that way and have had no problems. The lack of extras like deleted scenes and commentaries is of no concern.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been watching the Simpsons since day one. I now watch out of habit, like SNL, in hopes I'll get to see a great episode.

At this time, season 17 is the last one available as a DVD box set (a no-frills set of season 20 was issued to take advantage of the mid-season switch to HD). The rumor is that, due to decreasing sales and the rise of streaming services, they will not offer any future sets. It seems that they could go to MOD (Manufacture on Demand) for the hardcore fans who must have pristine copies.

I have bought several TV shows that way and have had no problems. The lack of extras like deleted scenes and commentaries is of no concern.

Whenever the show finally ends they'll probably release a single complete box set.

It'll also cost like $900 because it's 30 seasons.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

computer parts posted:

Whenever the show finally ends they'll probably release a single complete box set.

And they would probably try to do what CBS did with MASH and offer extra stuff only available in the complete set.

Fans who had bought each season got pissed and let CBS know it. CBS relented and released the extra stuff (reunion specials and documentaries) in a separate set.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Laura Ingrahm and the cast of Girls in an episode of The Simpsons? Sign me up!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

It'll cost $899.99

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
I'll still keep with this show, I don't know.. I think the marriage separation thing will at least be semi-interesting.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'll keep watching the show out of habit. I'll stick with owning only the first eleven seasons, though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Long story short, I typically defended the show up until maybe Season 20. After the classic era and after many fans tuned out, the show still had an evolution with its ups and downs.

Seasons 15-19 had less energy with its jokes, but made up for it with more consistent plotting than the Scully seasons. Starting with 20, the plots just started feeling a lot blander. Even a lot of the more experimental plots and good episodes since 20 still suffered from a sense of exhaustion. I don't blame the jump to HD, though others do. I just get a greater sense that behind-the-scenes morale in the writers room just eroded greatly as the show entered its third decade, and they just more frequently settled on certain ideas and formulas. And even "concept" episodes suffered from that loss of enthusiasm.

But I still see the characterizations of the characters I loved from 20 years earlier despite other people's complaints about Jerkass Homer. I'll keep watching until Fox pulls the plug.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I really liked the Lego episode last season. It was the first one in a long time that felt almost like a classic episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
So far, so meh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's a little disappointing because I really want to hear the writers get increasingly defensive about the show in the commentaries.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
:suicide:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bullshit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What is reality?

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
That sucked a fat cock

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll admit I laughed at Homer marrying himself and felt some tension that the marriage was really being threatened.

But that last act managed to do something lamer than "it was all a dream".

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Tonight, on The Simpsons

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Someone spoil it for me so I won't watch it on Hulu if it's truly terrible, as it must be, given the comments.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Someone spoil it for me so I won't watch it on Hulu if it's truly terrible, as it must be, given the comments.

Most of it is okay but the end is a bunch of "it was all a dream or was it?" Fake outs and I'm not sure what the final answer is supposed to be.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It was all Homer's dream within Marge's dream.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I probably would have accepted a multi-episode arc where Homer and Marge really have to work to save their marriage and earn it in a way that couldn't be wrapped up in 30 minutes and that might have been the original plan.

But then they chickened out of it. Not a nice start to a new season.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

My god does Julie Kavner ever sound rough these days. If they could go ahead and write Marge out of the show that would be fine with me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Holy poo poo was that bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I yelled "Oh gently caress YOU" at the screen. Will this finally be the season that gets me to stop watching out of habit?

Echo Chamber posted:

But then they chickened out of it. Not a nice start to a new season.

And that's after they hyped the season by telling everyone that Homer and Marge were separating.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And that's after they hyped the season by telling everyone that Homer and Marge were separating.

Obviously they did because dumb marketing gimmicks involving characters you used to care about are the only tricks this show has left to get anyone to pay attention

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

Holy poo poo was that bad.

I'm only 5 minutes in and it's already really painful. ANOTHER marriage on the rocks episode? If you can't rehash the same plots over, and over, and over again then you need to stop making the show. This thread is literally just stockholm syndrome in action. I stopped watching week-by-week in about s23 or so but I pop in at the start of a season on the off chance they've finally put some effort in. I saw a few episodes at the rear end of last season that weren't completely dreadful, but nope... back to the same old poo poo again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm only 5 minutes in

Stop now. You can still turn back!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something that generates this much hate is something I am now compelled to watch. drat it, guys.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Something that generates this much hate is something I am now compelled to watch. drat it, guys.

It's not set a new low or anything, it's just frustratingly poor. I wish I'd turned it off after 5 minutes too. I was warned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's not set a new low or anything, it's just frustratingly poor. I wish I'd turned it off after 5 minutes too. I was warned.

Uh holy poo poo, I'm glad I kept it on for nothing else other than the fact that they used, not just a Spacemen 3 song, but a Spacemen 3 song off Recurring.

That's almost as weird as the time an episode of The Real World used a Labradford song.

e: oh wait, Lena Dunham probably suggested the song, :ms:

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005
I always thought the future of The Simpsons lay in a spin off called "Springfield".

It could feature the many other characters in the show and opens up a lot of different story possibilities and further characterisation of much loved folk...

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rog McDodge posted:

I always thought the future of The Simpsons lay in a spin off called "Springfield".

It could feature the many other characters in the show and opens up a lot of different story possibilities and further characterisation of much loved folk...

Professor Frink will finally get his chance

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that's the thing about this episode. It's bad in a really boring way. It's not a meandering non-sequitur like the saga of Moe's bar-rag, and the celebrity guest star is a named character instead of being a full throated tribute to themselves. If it didn't have the legendarily lovely ending it wouldn't even be worth complaining about.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rog McDodge posted:

Not a bad idea, just about 10 years too late.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Let me think of a good thing to say.

Ah. Hrm

I liked the character design for Dunham's character.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

twistedmentat posted:

Let me think of a good thing to say.
Had they actually cut back to Homer in the bar realizing the breakup wasn't a dream, and that this moment of marriage trouble is Totally Different Than Last Time, I probably would have thought it was a bold move.

Of course, that's not the route they chose, so... yeah... nice character design.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Rog McDodge posted:

They could keep the same opening except sing "It's Spring-field"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Homer the Narcoleptic was one of those things that has been kicking around forever according to the commentaries on the old episode. Also, i really liked Dunham's voice acting.

• Locked thread