Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back, chos before hoes. That is the subject of your thread. Of OUR thread!

Fox. Sundays. 8.30pm.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a sitcom about a police department in Brooklyn. This is fairly evident from both its name and most of the posters. The first two seasons were both excellent, and season 1 is particularly of note because it hit the ground running from the very first episode which is pretty difficult. If you haven't seen those episodes, watch them. Or don't, it's a sitcom and it doesn't really matter.

This season...

* Gina, the human 100 emoji, and Holt, the human pigeon, have been transferred to the NYPD PR department by Wunch.

* Scully has been in the toilet for 75 minutes, and is presumed 'half way done'.

* Jake and Amy are now a thing and given how well P&R handled relationships, as well as the Gina/Boyle situation from last season, this is not a bad thing and won't ruin the show. It will be both 'good' and 'funny'.

* Bill Hader was in the show for 10 minutes and was hysterical the whole time. RIP Dozermann and the Dozerpad.

* Dennis Duffy, the fabled Beeper King of NYC, is now in charge and I didn't see that coming and should prove to be excellent.

* The first episode back this season was loving brilliant and I laughed my rear end off more than most other shows combined for week 1.

Here's some animated GIFs I stole from the handful of ones from s2 thread that aren't dead:

Welcome back to the Nine-Nine. This has been your 5 minute effort thread OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

* Dennis Duffy, the fabled Beeper King of NYC, is now in charge and I didn't see that coming and should prove to be excellent.

This is going to be amazing.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I figured by season 3 I'd be tired of Andy Samberg, but here we are. Great season opener and Chelsea Peretti absolutely is the human embodiment of the 100 emoticon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watched this with my wife last night. She was wondering who the new new captain would be. As soon as I saw those loving shoes, I knew it was the best choice possible (after Hader).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Kingtheninja posted:

Watched this with my wife last night. She was wondering who the new new captain would be. As soon as I saw those loving shoes, I knew it was the best choice possible (after Hader).

I kind of hope they keep switching them every week. There's probably a ton of actors they could get or bring back, Garrett Dillahunt would be amazing, even if just for a week.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hader was the weakest part of the episode, but overall it was pretty good. I mean the new captain is going to be PERFECT.
Hader was funny, but he would have been better without the slapstick heart attack stuff and was just an over bearing completely unself-aware perfectionist.

Still, SO glad the 99 is back!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone needs to gif the pigeon suit zoom out stat.

Hader was great in the 10 minutes he had, but I am a little disappointed they didn't have him stick around for a few episodes (toned down a tad) because more Hader is never a bad thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Odds are this is the last season? I don't know how the ratings are but I never see anyone giving this show any attention at this point.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

EL BROMANCE posted:

:toot:
Coffee. Where do you get it? You get it at my coffee vending machine.
You just go downstairs, you get the key from David. And boom,you plug in the machine: You're done.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jastiger posted:

Hader was the weakest part of the episode, but overall it was pretty good. I mean the new captain is going to be PERFECT.
Hader was funny, but he would have been better without the slapstick heart attack stuff and was just an over bearing completely unself-aware perfectionist.

Still, SO glad the 99 is back!

Hader really was the weakest part of the episode. He could have done the slapstick but the character didn't work beyond the part with him and Jake in the office.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

sbaldrick posted:

Hader really was the weakest part of the episode. He could have done the slapstick but the character didn't work beyond the part with him and Jake in the office.

Loved the episode but this is definitely true. I love Bill Hader typically but this character was too outlandish, even for this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hader was great for me :shrug:

But yeah thread title needs to be "Title of OUR sex tape!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Hader was great for me :shrug:

Yeah I loved him too. If you're only going to use him for 1/2 an episode, then going full in is fine. If he was that way for half the series, it might've worn thin.

quote:

But yeah thread title needs to be "Title of OUR sex tape!"

But then I couldn't have used it as the sub-title!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Loved the episode but this is definitely true. I love Bill Hader typically but this character was too outlandish, even for this show.

Screaming and collapsing in 15 minutes? It kind of sucked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Red posted:

Screaming and collapsing in 15 minutes?

Title of our sex tape!

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Red posted:

Screaming and collapsing in 15 minutes? It kind of sucked.

I'm having a heart attack! Get back to work!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's kinda startling how once you remove Boyle from his own equation, his fantasy relationship wingman traits are some of his funniest qualities. I'm so happy they bounced back from his S1 obsession with Rosa because as friends they are hilarious.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

Odds are this is the last season?

Those are the rumors, but the whole night is weak and networks are loathe to cancel shows in their third season. I'm willing to bet B99 is able to coast until The Simpsons ends next year, at which point Fox will probably just blow up their entire Sunday night lineup.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I thought this and LMOE had great premieres last night; B99 staying on form and LMOE suckering me back in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lets blow some tiny minds.

I cannot wait for Gina to find out about Jake and Amy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zaggitz posted:

It's kinda startling how once you remove Boyle from his own equation, his fantasy relationship wingman traits are some of his funniest qualities. I'm so happy they bounced back from his S1 obsession with Rosa because as friends they are hilarious.

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but I'm 100% certain that Boyla and Rosa will be a thing by the end if the show runs it's own course. Boyle setting Rosa up for her perfect date and knowing exactly what she'd want and a couple of other things like it make it seem like they're just having them be friends so that Boyle can stop acting as weird and Rosa can learn to appreciate him before they move things along.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

twistedmentat posted:

Lets blow some tiny minds.

I cannot wait for Gina to find out about Jake and Amy.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that Gina has a mole in the Nine-Nine.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gina will know because she deduced the meaning of Jake, Amy, and Boyle's social media updates and emoji use over the span of a week.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wonder what their plan was before Dean Winters' show was cancelled. That's the only way he could have been a regular this season.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm not caught up yet so I'm going to avoid reading the thread. Just wanted to say I've watched like 26 episodes of this show over the past couple weeks and it's loving amazing. I'm constantly amazed by how good the writing is, especially for Holt.

Glad I finally gave it a shot.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not caught up yet so I'm going to avoid reading the thread. Just wanted to say I've watched like 26 episodes of this show over the past couple weeks and it's loving amazing. I'm constantly amazed by how good the writing is, especially for Holt.

Glad I finally gave it a shot.

I attribute this to Cousin Mose, or Michael Schur.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh how I've longed for you, thread.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Democratic Pirate posted:

Gina will know because she deduced the meaning of Jake, Amy, and Boyle's social media updates and emoji use over the span of a week.

This is exactly how its going down.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought Dozerman dying was oddly mean-spirited, and a little too overboard. They could've just had him have a heart attack because of Jake and Amy and get wheeled off.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
There was nothing about that character that half-way, or funny, so good riddance. That's the first time I've ever not laughed at Bill Hader.

I think my issue was that the show has worked really hard to create characters that exist just on this side of reality, and have some kind of depth, even if they're not there for that long, and that character obviously had no thought put into him other than "Bill Hader will be wacky!" Like, there's no way that person could have left an apartment much less become a police captain. Contrast him with the Vulture who is also a caricature, but is grounded in something other than "Dean Winters will say things like Dennis Duffy."

I might have laughed at that character on SNL, but compared to the Vulture or that old guy that robbed banks who were also (at least formerly for the Vulture) one-off silly characters, he was sooooo awful.

It didn't make me lose faith in the show or anything, I just hated that character, which was disappointing because I loving love Hader and was hyped for him.

E: The closest they've gotten to a ridiculous, one-note character was the Postal Service detective, but even he was grounded in a secret acknowledgement that his job was actually NOT as important as pretty much any other agency and he was kind of a gently caress-up, but not so bad he would get fired, and so he was overcompensating for that. That's one of my least favorite episodes, and I still have no problem watching it, it's still pretty good TV.

This episode is now officially my least favorite. I'll watch it in a rematch because it wasn't painful, I just laughed about half as often as normal.

Riven fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 4, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You probably don't even like nip-slips.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If you ever want to bust out that Holt impression at home, I'd be into it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The alcohol has rendered me a simpleton. :geno:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PAAAIIIIIIIIN

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Terry dance more. Dance more please.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I wanted to know about her and I got what I deserved. A VEGAN. A GLUTEN FREE VEGAN.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
That was much better.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Jesus I almost lost it when the vulture talks about not farting in church and flips the cigarette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
boyle this is a funeral

i really like how long that gag played

hader was weak. weaaaaaak :C

• Locked thread