Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

WayAbvPar posted:

I honestly miss getting power leveled by high level friends. EQ was the best for that.

Thorns/Regen from a druid and go have fun. EQ to me was a chat room that you get to kill things in. Todays rush to finish a instance is not as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Uziduke posted:

Thorns/Regen from a druid and go have fun. EQ to me was a chat room that you get to kill things in. Todays rush to finish a instance is not as fun.

That is exactly the combo I had in mind when I posted :holy:

I also miss selling Breezes at the docks in the sand giant/spectre zone (Oasis?).

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

WayAbvPar posted:

That is exactly the combo I had in mind when I posted :holy:

I also miss selling Breezes at the docks in the sand giant/spectre zone (Oasis?).

Yep Oasis, also EC tunnel was a nice place to get buffed and healed.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Uziduke posted:

Yeah that was one aspect of EQ I've never recaptured. The pace of play was such that text based chat was great. More contemporary hottton mashing makes chatting while actually, playing difficult, and I don't really like voice chat.

The social piece was one thing that made some of the real obnoxious stuff kike ssra emp keying or VT shard / anguish signet camping actually enjoyable.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Yeah that was one aspect of EQ I've never recaptured. The pace of play was such that text based chat was great. More contemporary hottton mashing makes chatting while actually, playing difficult, and I don't really like voice chat.

The social piece was one thing that made some of the real obnoxious stuff kike ssra emp keying or VT shard / anguish signet camping actually enjoyable.

Enjoyable is probably not the right word. Tolerable is probably what you are looking for.

For what it's worth, the forced player interdependence is really how they forged those social bonds to form in old school EQ1. Unless you were a Necromancer (or sometimes druid or wizard or bard depending on circumstances) there was very little you could do by yourself. There also was no auto grouping tool and very limited lfg tools, so you couldn't just have the game shuffle you into a party based on your class; you had to communicate with another person to get a group. Even in groups getting experience was often slow and dangerous to the point that you potentially risked leaving a group with less experience than you went into it with.

While sticking to that style would result in a strong social experience in a new game for those that play it, it's also going to turn off a very large chunk of the population right of the bat. EverQuest 1 happened what is approaching 20 years ago. Forcing people into groups to do any sort of exp content is completely midevil by today's standards and brings up a lot of hard questions in the long run (See: the game isn't as popular as anticipated and/or everyone else is max level, who is John Q StupidNewbie going to level with if he can't get a group?). I just don't see that style of game working in the modern context.

I think there is room for a game that is harder than the MMO status quo whilst not being torturous to the casual player, but there would have to be a pretty aces balance in the game content between leveling content meant for solo players, duo players, and groups. I know I've banged on this drum before, but Vanguard circa when they shut it down would be kind of a good reference point for that. There content was balanced to where do players could level through to max solo level, but there were plenty of quests meant for duo/trios mixed in with it to at least getting you talking to other people. From there they need to add a tool to allow you to see nearby people who are on the same small group quests as you (or people you've grouped with in the recent past) and allow you to streamline getting people together to do stuff on the fly.

That being said: I don't trust Brad McQuaid to get that and fully expect whatever he puts out to have some good ideas but have significant issues that need to be fixed by whoever takes the reigns after him.

Edit: vvvv I never claimed Vanguard's balance was prefect. :v:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 6, 2015

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Conversly you could just roll a disciple and solo raid bosses all day.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

Conversly you could just roll a disciple and solo raid bosses all day.

My second favorite class in the game. New mechanics to classes in the MMORPG genre, along with the Blood Mage. You want to heal your group? Punch things more, or do fancy elaborate attacks with swords and staves. No standing behind the tank and just mashing the heal button.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Enjoyable is probably not the right word. Tolerable is probably what you are looking for.

Nah, I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of what I found enjoyable in 2002 than you do.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

From there they need to add a tool to allow you to see nearby people who are on the same small group quests as you (or people you've grouped with in the recent past) and allow you to streamline getting people together to do stuff on the fly.

One of the few things that I think RIFT did right was their auto-grouping functionality. Someone fighting a critter they can't take? Tag them, auto-group, and both of you get credit for the kill. Planar incursion occurring? Group up with a few people with as many clicks. Person you've tagged is already in a group? Click, and you've got a raid interface. Not something you'd want to do for serious dungeons or the like, but it was great for dynamic poo poo and the occasional tougher than average world spawn.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So nerds managed to get some VC, at least this shows that unlike virtually every other indie studio out there, there's someone on their team that knows a thing or two about running a business.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

SweetBro posted:

So nerds managed to get some VC, at least this shows that unlike virtually every other indie studio out there, there's someone on their team that knows a thing or two about running a business.

If the VC is the person nearly everyone thinks it is its a eq1 true believer with a trust fund.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Quick reminder: Brad's largest contribution to EverQuest's development was fostering discussion of the game during development while pretending to be Aradune the Ranger.

Quick reminder #2: Brad was the guy SOE hired to lead the conversion to their hilariously dreadful F2P system for EverQuest 2.

I agree with whomever suggested that a significant number of game developers are snorting something, but I'd also like to point out that these developers have something to show for their time. Aside from EverQuest (the design of which he was not an integral part of, I would argue) and Vanguard (AKA Brad's Pharmacy) what else has Brad done since 1999? I mean, at least with Chris, Josh and the rest at Obsidian we can point at some definite products that were released since Baldur's Gate. Sure not everyone likes their games but the niche they've carved out loves them and generally have good reasons for doing so.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of what I found enjoyable in 2002 than you do.

In an expansion that was comparatively speaking fairly flush with fun and interesting things to do, Vex Thal keys was objectively the worst part of the game at the time. Especially when you had competition in zone for drops. If sitting around staring at a patch of sand for multiple hours was your idea of high times just because of guild chat than literally anything else you could do in the game would of been significantly more enjoyable. I think the only reason I got through it was because I could play Final Fantasy on my TV while I waited for the ground spawns.

The worst part was that Vex Thal was kind of poo poo anyway. The Gray/Ssra temple and The Deep were way cooler from a thematic standpoint.

To get things back on topic of McQuaid: in my mind I compare him to John Romero. They both floated on their developer star power to get their own studio and capital to make a game. They then get caught up in their own hubris and ego confident that they can do no wrong. Both studios big game goes way over budget and have very little to show for it and by the time it does come out its a janky, buggy mess. The difference being that after Romero's flop was very humbling for him, and he spent his time post Daikatana doing mobile games and generally keeping his head down. McQuaid on the other hand keeps doubling down and insisting he is God's gift to MMOs, and while there was some good things to be said about Vanguard (diplomacy, good class design especially with healers, a world that resembles a place that actual people could live in) the game was largely a broken unplayable mess at launch and only got good after he had left the company. I'm not holding out for Pantheon unless he can prove that he's able to do the QA and balance passes necessary to ensure people would actually want to play it.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

In an expansion that was comparatively speaking fairly flush with fun and interesting things to do, Vex Thal keys was objectively the worst part of the game at the time. Especially when you had competition in zone for drops. If sitting around staring at a patch of sand for multiple hours was your idea of high times just because of guild chat than literally anything else you could do in the game would of been significantly more enjoyable. I think the only reason I got through it was because I could play Final Fantasy on my TV while I waited for the ground spawns.

don't boss people around. let him have his opinion!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

The worst part was that Vex Thal was kind of poo poo anyway. The Gray/Ssra temple and The Deep were way cooler from a thematic standpoint.

Agreed, more or less. I enjoyed it the first few times, it was an annoying farm though. There was a lot of untapped potential in SoL. It's too bad the end game wound up being bags of hit points wearing robes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

a real jerk posted:

don't boss people around. let him have his opinion!

opinions can be dead wrong and loving halarious

like the opinion he deserves respect

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm not holding out for Pantheon unless he can prove that he's able to do the QA and balance passes necessary to ensure people would actually want to play it.

I would be extremely surprised if the Angel Investor keeps the dude on as anything more than a vague ideas/lore guy. I know investors are pretty dang stupid, but leaving Brad in charge of actually making the gameplay part of the game is a plain-as-day way to flush several million dollars down the toilet.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Am I the only one that really loving loved Vanguard's crafting system/minigame?

Then again I only played it in the beta like a decade ago so it could have completely changed multiple times between then and its cascading failure.

It was good. On some other fora, I'd recommend that aspiring MMO developers check out Vanguard for both the crafting and diplomacy minigames.

Gildiss posted:

Not sure how any human being reached max level crafter in that game as running a bot for almost a solid month got me to about 47ish? Seriously insane amount of exp required at the end.

Quests did a lot. I made it to 50 as a tailor. I believe that level 51 in crafting required level 50 as an adventurer.

Byolante posted:

What idea does he actually have that's any good though

Kunark. That sort of success pre-forgives a lot of drug abuse and failure. Such as Will Wright. His success with SimCity lead to EA dropping 9 figures on Spore.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/05/27

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Huttan posted:

Kunark. That sort of success pre-forgives a lot of drug abuse and failure. Such as Will Wright. His success with SimCity lead to EA dropping 9 figures on Spore.

http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/kunark.php

Kunark wasn't that popular at the time for a lot of people. It was seen as grindy content lacking filler.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Byolante posted:

http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/kunark.php

Kunark wasn't that popular at the time for a lot of people. It was seen as grindy content lacking filler.

I mean, let's be honest, eq1 didn't get 'good' relatively speaking until Velious. Kunark tried too hard to have some amount of content across all levels (so iksar theoretically could level 1-60 without having to hassle with other cities factions until they were good and ready) and was left kind of content thin across all the levels. The fact that Brad can play this expansion up as a plus for him was because there really wasn't poo poo to do in vanilla and it could be argued that he set the framework for the next couple of expansions.

Velious really hammered down on it being level 40+ content and had a swathe of cool things to do for anyone at the mid to high levels. Velious was the point in the game that I had the most fun back in the day. The non raid dungeons were really cool and unique (I'm thinking Vektor's lab, sirens grotto, dragon necropolis, the non raid portions of Kael and Skyshrine) and had one of the coolest raid encounters in EQ1 full stop with the Coldain ring war.

Huttan
May 15, 2013
My experience was different. Kunark seemed to be very popular with some zones heavily over-populated. I remember Lake of Ill Manners having 200+ players in local "back in the day". For the end-zone raiding guilds, it didn't add much worthwhile (while folks did the VP key quest, I don't recall any guilds raiding VP at all, and the VP key used to access quests when VP was "revamped"). I was never in an end-game raiding guild. The guilds I was in would raid the end-content for zones 1-2 expansions old. I was a guide and much of my time ended up reporting bugs in "current" end-game zones (Uqua was the worst).

That said, there were dozens to hundreds of Kunark quests that were broken for years. It took 8 years to fix the serial Cabilis necromancer hat quest (the piece that dropped in Dreadlands was supposed to be a container, so no one could advance until the bug was fixed, not that the final item was worth doing, in contrast to the shadowknight serial quest which was extremely useful when Luclin was "current" content). Many of the oddball lore items that dropped in City of Mist were for quests that were so broken it was easier to remove them from the game than fix them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Huttan posted:

My experience was different. Kunark seemed to be very popular with some zones heavily over-populated. I remember Lake of Ill Manners having 200+ players in local "back in the day". For the end-zone raiding guilds, it didn't add much worthwhile (while folks did the VP key quest, I don't recall any guilds raiding VP at all, and the VP key used to access quests when VP was "revamped"). I was never in an end-game raiding guild. The guilds I was in would raid the end-content for zones 1-2 expansions old. I was a guide and much of my time ended up reporting bugs in "current" end-game zones (Uqua was the worst).

That said, there were dozens to hundreds of Kunark quests that were broken for years. It took 8 years to fix the serial Cabilis necromancer hat quest (the piece that dropped in Dreadlands was supposed to be a container, so no one could advance until the bug was fixed, not that the final item was worth doing, in contrast to the shadowknight serial quest which was extremely useful when Luclin was "current" content). Many of the oddball lore items that dropped in City of Mist were for quests that were so broken it was easier to remove them from the game than fix them.

Generally 1 or 2 zones being heavily overpopulated is a massive redflag of either content starvation or the treadmill causing people to focus on a single facet to the detriment of the game due to poorly thought out reward structures.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Byolante posted:

Generally 1 or 2 zones being heavily overpopulated is a massive redflag of either content starvation or the treadmill causing people to focus on a single facet to the detriment of the game due to poorly thought out reward structures.

In modern mmo terms yes. In "Back In The Good/Bad Old Days" terms there was a feedback loop with regard to where you go to level. Because it took significant time and effort to get anywhere meaningful you tended to stay in one zone and level through it. Certain zones like Lake of ill Omen and Highpass Hold got the reputation of being the places where groups lived, which brought in people and thus the groups bringing the reputation to life.

That was actually part of the big draw of wizards and druids at the time in game. Wizard damage was bursty and could get you killed often, but there was a big draw in being able to relocate a group from a densely crowded zone like a LOIO or a Dreadlands to somewhere relatively empty like Sol Eye, permafrost, Cazic-Thule, and then get them back at to the popular zone at the end of the night.

I made so much goddamn money in pre-luclin eq1 just teleporting people around it wasn't funny.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That was sort of the thing, you wouldn't necessarily go to specific zones to level so much as where a group was willing to invite you, at least if you didn't have a set group or guild with people in your level range. I remember multiple occasions going to poor/overcamped locations in "the good exp zones" rather than finding/taking a group to a less populated area like Permafrost (though the ice giants outside were always, always camped). Often, people were unwilling to move and so you'd be stuck in a "bad" camp.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Important update, visiting the site without javascript enabled reveals this scandal

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao comic sans

also loling at "Rise of the Fallen"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao comic sans

also loling at "Rise of the Fallen"

what else are the fallen supposed to do

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

Piss the night away?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Node posted:

if this game knew what was good for it, stay down

also

jabro posted:

Piss the night away?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

Piss the night away?

*nods sagely*

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is the religous fanatic who wanted to ban all gay people still on the dev team or did she kill herself after the supreme court decision

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

RottenK posted:

is the religous fanatic who wanted to ban all gay people still on the dev team or did she kill herself after the supreme court decision

I think she is too busy refusing to sign marriage certificates in Kentucky.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RottenK posted:

From what we've been able to tell, the only connection to the old development project is the name (which, I'll be frank, I would've loving dumped immediately given the baggage attached to it, but whatever) and Brad McQuaid in an unknown role.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

RottenK posted:

Not on the dev team anymore. So hopefully killed herself.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

WayAbvPar posted:

On the retro gaming subject-

I would like to see an updated Wizardry/Might & Magic/Bard's Tale* 1st person dungeon crawler. I bought Wiz 6 and 7 from GOG and have been having a lot of fun with the character development/class switching aspect. Something with a modern UI and some more in depth character/class tweaks would be a lot of fun. It feels like you could do it relatively cheaply since you aren't burning as much of your budget on art assets, but what do I know?

*Yes, I am aware there is a Bard's Tale reboot that was Kickstarter'ed recently, but I am not sure if it is the same thing I am describing here. I bought TBT on my phone expecting a 1st person crawler and got some 3rd person crap.

Apologies for the derail, but there is only so many Percocet jokes that can be made without new info coming out about Pantheon.

Sorry to continue the derail but wanted to respond to this. I hven't played it yet but isn't Legend of Grimlock/2 basically this? A modern love-letter to that old style of gaming? That also reminds me that I need to play both ASAP.

Back on topic, I bought into the Vanguard hype hook line and sinker and will never trust Brad's ~*vision*~ bullshit again. That being said, despite the fact that an old-school style MMO would be extremely niche because most people hate forced grouping, it's still a lot of fun to a certain percentage of people and I really hope SOMEONE brings it back and does it right. I'd rather see someone (not Brad) attempt this and release a small, niche, but fun and well-done MMO that recaptures that spirit than WoW Ripoff Fantasy Themepark#487. MMOs that focus heavily on soloing just end up feeling like single-player RPGs with lovely mechanics.

Also RIP Vanguard. I was in a beta event where some GM showed up as a huge dragon and a flood of newbies attacked him while we flew around on free gryphons, it was so much fun. The Bloodmage was so uniquely fun and no caster dps/heals hybrid comes close to feeling similar in other MMOS. :(

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

Haha, what was this?

Cuckoo posted:

The Bloodmage was so uniquely fun and no caster dps/heals hybrid comes close to feeling similar in other MMOS. :(

I actually thought the Chloromancer from Rift was pretty drat satisfying as a dps/heal hybrid caster.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 13, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

Situational Gear
In Pantheon, there often won't simply be a weapon or piece of gear that is the absolute best item for your character’s class and level. Instead, many items will be more situational, and the player will need to ask himself, 'where am I?', 'what am I going to fight next?', and 'who in my group is what class, and what items do they have that may help defeat the next encounter?' Items that protect against climates/atmospheres (areas of extreme heat or cold, or disease, or absolute darkness) will often be important. So also will 'bane' items that are especially effective against certain types of mobs (for example, the Undead, or Dragonkind).

Multiple sets of 22-slot resistance gear carried in 5 slot bags.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I want the item that protects me from absolute darkness. Is that a codeword for something racist?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Oh I see offensive target, I hope they do the offensive/def target like Vanguard did, best MMO feature ever for a healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Asehujiko posted:

Multiple sets of 22-slot resistance gear carried in 5 slot bags.
A Guy Fawkes mask as mask gear.

Nice Everquest reskin.

• Locked thread