Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

aparmenideanmonad posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/visionaryrealms

Streaming now, everything is being compared to EQ1 nonstop, they know their audience at least.

as poo poo as this looks, and it looks completely terrible, it is still more of a game than star citizen will ever be. and that is loving hilarious to me.

croberts are you are a worse failure than a junkie with no funding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

It looked like an actual, real, functional multiplayer game. I am shocked. The game they're making is 99% the same as EQ1, but with modern lovely graphics. 1200 people watched the stream on Twitch, and the chat was surprisingly non-hostile. It was obvious to everyone what kind of game Pantheon is going to be: Vanguard 2.0 (design-wise). Brad and the other developers on the stream seemed to know exactly what kind of game they want to make, and twitch chat was just eating it up.

This game might actually come out some day, and some players might actually enjoy it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ator posted:

It looked like an actual, real, functional multiplayer game. I am shocked. The game they're making is 99% the same as EQ1, but with modern lovely graphics. 1200 people watched the stream on Twitch, and the chat was surprisingly non-hostile. It was obvious to everyone what kind of game Pantheon is going to be: Vanguard 2.0 (design-wise). Brad and the other developers on the stream seemed to know exactly what kind of game they want to make, and twitch chat was just eating it up.

This game might actually come out some day, and some players might actually enjoy it.

This is what I have been saying since I posted the first thread. Jokes on you, fuckers, Pantheon is coming!

I wonder if they had someone within Daybreak Games telling them when the cancellation announcement was coming, so they could time this stream. It seems awfully coincidental.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ator posted:

If 1200 people watching meant 1200 subs, that's enough to keep the server up and a couple guys with a decent paycheck.

There are at least two MMOs I know of pulling less than that and are still alive (a tale in the desert, pirates of the burning sea). If they can make this to release, McQuaid can finally pay for his own pain killers!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I actually think there is a chance that this game will successfully cater to a small, harder-core crowd than is normally targeted by MMOs. I'm not saying the game will be good or that it will be financially viable, but I could actually see this thing happening and in a way that's not usually targeted these days.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I want to be positive about this but I can't. The TL;DW of the video is that it is almost literally identical to Everquest but with graphics about on par with Vanguard. I can imagine thinking that was awesome 5 years ago, but after doing P99 for a couple years I can't imagine wanting that gameplay style ever again.

I am not really sure I understand the motivation for creating the same gameplay mechanics that have been around for 17 years and beaten to death in every lovely MMO. Maybe they're just doing it for nostalgic purposes, or Brad really has a "vision" and won't die happy until it's executed exactly how he wants it to be, and this is his chance.

Sir Vanderhosen
Feb 18, 2011

hayden. posted:

I want to be positive about this but I can't. The TL;DW of the video is that it is almost literally identical to Everquest but with graphics about on par with Vanguard. I can imagine thinking that was awesome 5 years ago, but after doing P99 for a couple years I can't imagine wanting that gameplay style ever again.

I am not really sure I understand the motivation for creating the same gameplay mechanics that have been around for 17 years and beaten to death in every lovely MMO. Maybe they're just doing it for nostalgic purposes, or Brad really has a "vision" and won't die happy until it's executed exactly how he wants it to be, and this is his chance.

I'm pretty sure if you don't have positive feelings about a (slightly) more modern EQ, then this game isn't for you. Within the first 10 minutes of the stream, you got to see fizzles, slow mana regen, long cast times, and horribly tedious inventory management. As other posters have said, they certainly understand their market.

That being said, I'm just autistic enough where I'll probably give it a try if it ever comes out and if this was 10 years ago I would probably even pledge.

Sir Vanderhosen fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 12, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
What I want to know is how can it copy Everquest1 so much and not expect a copyright lawsuit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Russian mob isn't big on litigation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Inimicul posted:

What I want to know is how can it copy Everquest1 so much and not expect a copyright lawsuit.

daybreak games wouldn't know how to handle a lawsuit, let alone getting up and wiping itself each day

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

daybreak games wouldn't know how to handle a lawsuit, let alone getting up and wiping itself each day

If Daybreak want control of Pantheon they have a more traditional method of getting what they want

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-03-07/blavatnik-sued-by-norex-in-new-york-court-over-yugraneft-1-

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm surprised that they've kept at it things long, and actually had enough done for it to be that playable.

Obviously way far from a finished game worth paying for or anything, but still, good on them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I unironically want Pantheon as it is, but with much better graphics because as it was shown was pretty ugly looking. I assume it will look way better since it's not even in alpha yet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I unironically want Pantheon as it is, but with much better graphics because as it was shown was pretty ugly looking. I assume it will look way better since it's not even in alpha yet.

iirc it's mostly pre-packaged assets, so that's about as tight as those graphics get.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

iirc it's mostly pre-packaged assets, so that's about as tight as those graphics get.

Yeah, that stream wasn't a "Hey look how tightened up our game is!" stream, it was a "This can ostensibly be called a game that can be played, albeit with janky programmer/open source art" stream. From the brief bits I looked at on the stream, they were basically recreating Orc Hill in EQ1's Greater Faydark.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I saw nothing in that stream that wasn't purchaseable on the unity store

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, that stream wasn't a "Hey look how tightened up our game is!" stream, it was a "This can ostensibly be called a game that can be played, albeit with janky programmer/open source art" stream. From the brief bits I looked at on the stream, they were basically recreating Orc Hill in EQ1's Greater Faydark.

I thought that footage looked very familiar.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I got a Twitter ad for Pantheon the other day. What the gently caress, Brad McQuaid?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
.....Rise of the Fallen?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pissing the night away

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If the design team makes the game they want I'm going to play it but the team doesn't inspire confidence, so if games were murderers I'd call pantheon just a person of interest.

It got some mention on a recent massively op podcast and I agree with their general sentiment, surprise at the progress so far so maybe see where it goes.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
Umm I kind of want that game as it stands but it does need to be fleshed out more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same,I'm playing p1999 right now because it's what my friends play but I'd kill for more modern graphics.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
My hope is that if they go HARDCORE and do heavily emphasize grouping and whatnot that they give an incentive for higher level players to mentor down and help lower levels. It would suck if 3 months after release it's super difficult to do anything group related because everyone outleveled you and don't want to do scrub poo poo anymore.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DeathSandwich posted:

My hope is that if they go HARDCORE and do heavily emphasize grouping and whatnot that they give an incentive for higher level players to mentor down and help lower levels. It would suck if 3 months after release it's super difficult to do anything group related because everyone outleveled you and don't want to do scrub poo poo anymore.

The problem is going to be 3 months after release not having a large enough player base to do the raid, if he can find a raid module on the unity asset store

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I do want to play a game that revisits some of the design aspects of pre-WoW MMOs, but that's in terms of featuring mechanics that emphasize social interaction, not bad UI and controls...

With that said, the Pantheon threads have always been a riot ever since Brad "Aradune" McQuaid himself started posting in the first one trying to drum up hype/dodge questions about painkiller addiction.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I do want to play a game that revisits some of the design aspects of pre-WoW MMOs, but that's in terms of featuring mechanics that emphasize social interaction, not bad UI and controls...

With that said, the Pantheon threads have always been a riot ever since Brad "Aradune" McQuaid himself started posting in the first one trying to drum up hype/dodge questions about painkiller addiction.

I'm seriously curious what pre-wow stuff you want. EQ didn't encourage social interaction, it just basically locked you out of the game completely unless you aggressively searched for groups. FF11 did the same thing and aside from some people with mental illness nobody holds it up as the high water mark for giving you the wonderful experience of sitting in town spamming 'DRG LFG crab farm pst plz' for 3 hours. In a post alakazam world there is no mystery in a mmo.

GW2 encourages social interaction because regardless of what level you are you can go do literally any content with your friends at any time and play it roughly as intended, except for raids which were a hilariously terrible idea anyway, so basically rip GW2 you were good and then you added raids.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In p1999 I have to ask in chat for a player to teleport me, I can't solo, and I can go long periods of time without progressing, and I like that.

but I can only stand to play the game for a few hours a week. So it works for me but I'm not declaring it the one true mmo design.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

In p1999 I have to ask in chat for a player to teleport me, I can't solo, and I can go long periods of time without progressing, and I like that.

but I can only stand to play the game for a few hours a week. So it works for me but I'm not declaring it the one true mmo design.

Yeah most issues with games and poo poo are caused by nerds just not chilling the gently caress out when they play games. Just take it easy guys. Don't consume and dissect and analyze every inch of content in 5 days. Maybe an item will drop maybe it wont. :chillout:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Games that have an xp penalty on death are like a singleplayer game that only autosaves and deletes your last 3 hours of playtime worth of autosaves when you die because it gives you more risk or some bullshit. I understand and embrace the quit getting mad at videogames concept, just I flat out don't understand the desire to play a game that arbitrarily wastes your time for no good reason.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's just a penalty for failure. I like the death penalty and other punishing mechanics in eq for the sense of accomplishment.

And things like the travel and death mechanics, combined with the variety of levels in a zone, give the game world a feeling of complexity and weight.

Not every mmo needs to be like this, but currently there isn't any punishing, pve, leveling mmo out there but p1999 and I'd like something newer.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 14, 2016

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's just a penalty for failure. I like the death penalty and other punishing mechanics in eq for the sense of accomplishment.

And things like the travel and death mechanics, combined with the variety of levels in a zone, give the game world a feeling of complexity and weight.

Not every mmo needs to be like this, but currently there isn't any punishing, pve, leveling mmo out there but p1999 and I'd like something newer.

The problem with MMOs that punish failure is twofold

1) Everything is RNG and others to not leave you in a hosed over state through no fault of your own
2) The amount of progress you lose is vastly greater than any normal 'punishing' game, save perhaps hardcore diablo

Don't get me wrong, I love harsh but fair games like dark souls or the like, just that a dark souls where it warped you back to the undead burg when the knights in anor londo hit you off the bridge with their longbows with no way to warp back and you took -1 to every stat would be real lovely.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

only correct opinions allowed

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

hayden. posted:

I can see the appeal in a finished Vanguard, but I don't really know if he can manage that considering he didn't do it the first time.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I can see the appeal in a finished Vanguard, but I don't really know if he can manage that considering he didn't do it the first time.

I am sure he will manage the same contribution he did to the first shot at vanguard, those oxys aren't going to take themselves

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
First time I've seen someone miss EQ's xp on death. Losing literal weeks of xp and deleveling due to a bad night is not something I remember fondly. It's an archaic design with timesink front in center. It's punishing enough just getting back to your camp or body.

To each their own, I guess?

Octave
Jan 9, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

First time I've seen someone miss EQ's xp on death. Losing literal weeks of xp and deleveling due to a bad night is not something I remember fondly. It's an archaic design with timesink front in center. It's punishing enough just getting back to your camp or body.

To each their own, I guess?

Losing exp on death sucked but it made the world have impact. Without a death penalty that stings, the world is meaningless.

You're in an amusement park, not a dungeon.

It's why roguelikes remain popular after all these years and also a big reason Dark Souls attracts such a following.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, there's a gulf of difference between dying in a RogueLike or losing souls in Dark Souls, and losing levels to death in a game like EverQuest. Let's not pretend they're proportionally equivalent in terms of time invested and impact , that's just stupid.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never played ever quest so we'll see if I sing a different tune when I'm dying at level fifty instead of level ten.

I'm completely willing to accept that eq is an interesting but flawed game I'm only playing because my friends are on it and I'd probably benefit greatly from pantheon following it in spirit and not in mechanical detail.

But in a very broad sense I'm just happy that devs are getting away from the theme park design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've never played ever quest so we'll see if I sing a different tune when I'm dying at level fifty instead of level ten.

I never played on p1999, but from what I gathered, they like the old school stuff. Hopefully it's not too harsh.

• Locked thread