Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Node posted:

TRAILER FOR "WILD'S END"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY-O0_cf0aQ

Pantheon is coming out, scrubs. Just you wait. Please ignore the fact there are no NPCs present in this video. It was on purpose. Yes.

I want this game to not suck but holy poo poo that looks terrible. Like Vanguard circa 2007 terrible. It's honestly not any better than Vanguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I mean seriously, look at this screencap:

It looks like a big grey turd. Literally. Even with the camera far away, the textures look lovely and grainy. Have you ever seen a rock face that looked like this in real life? The geometry is so simplistic I think my phone could run this. Oh and check out that awesome view distance. It reminds me of Elder Scrolls Online, which has a perpetual fog on the sunniest of days that prevents you from seeing the ground when standing on a tower like 6 stories tall. I don't get the point of this video. Do they want us to suck their dick for having grass that looks like cardboard cutouts, a day and night cycle, and lighting/shadows that looks ten years out of date?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 1, 2016

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Guys it's SUPPOSED to be blocky. It's Blocklandia, home of the Blockands. And the grass IS cardboard, made from the cardboard elves, I'm glad you noticed our attention to detail. And that rock face that looks like a turd? It actually is a turd. It's the special bonus level Colonville.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

You misunderstand the video. It was actually tech demo for the in-game in-game MMO, a sub-MMO if you will, like the movie Inception, but with MMOs. Pantheon's graphics are so good that our second level MMO looks as good as you saw in the video. Pantheon is actually based around the lore of an ancient elven race that invented the microprocessor and began throwing sacred LAN parties where they play the sub-MMO and eat lembas Doritos.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

haha Givin.

Cool to see they've made so much progress. I am not sure why they stick with concepts like having trainers. Maybe it's just part of "The Vision", but it's not really a fun gameplay element to have to run back to a city and talk to an NPC to allocate skill points or learn new stuff. Maybe it was novel 15 years ago, but now it's just a chore.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think Vanguard would have been a smash hit if not for technical problems at launch that were also never really fully fixed. I think design and vision wise it was spot on. I remember going to Best Buy the day it came out to buy a copy (to avoid long download time I think) and even the random sales guy at Best Buy was like "I wouldn't buy that, it's buggy and slow and your computer won't run it". I told him I was playing the beta just fine.

Of course, these days I think there needs to be a lot of evolution for the same vision to remain relevant. From what I can see, there isn't much evolution, but I hope I am proved wrong.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

xZAOx posted:

It's being worked on: http://vgoemulator.net/

I think it's silly that mostly a single guy can do so much in his spare time as a hobby but an established company with a budget of tens of millions of dollars makes an unmaintainable pile of garbage.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Found some leaked footage from the build they'll be showing Friday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXPyk1ARwgc

Some guy mistakenly uploaded to Youtube as Elder Scrolls Arena, just ignore the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I want to be positive about this but I can't. The TL;DW of the video is that it is almost literally identical to Everquest but with graphics about on par with Vanguard. I can imagine thinking that was awesome 5 years ago, but after doing P99 for a couple years I can't imagine wanting that gameplay style ever again.

I am not really sure I understand the motivation for creating the same gameplay mechanics that have been around for 17 years and beaten to death in every lovely MMO. Maybe they're just doing it for nostalgic purposes, or Brad really has a "vision" and won't die happy until it's executed exactly how he wants it to be, and this is his chance.

• Locked thread