Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I just don't understand the appeal of this game. There's a million fantasy theme park MMOs already. What does this add to the mix? I know it's basically Vanguard 2 which was basically Everquest 3 without a budget, just seems like a strange concept to pitch when there's a million alternatives that are nearly identical.

I'm not implying any of you guys are actually excited about this, but help me understand the mentality of the fan base here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

xZAOx posted:

It's supposed to be group oriented, and about slow persistent-world dungeon crawls. Mos other MMOs are all about solo'ing to max level, then joining a random group for 10 minute instanced dungeon blasts.

And a lot of people really loved Vanguard's design (although it also upset a lot of them when they added a lot of the solo quest hub style stuff). But Vanguard is now shut down, and was basically impossible to play anyways because of the constant technical issues.

The only thing out there (that I'm aware of) that has that kind of group focus, would be Project1999, heh.

Oh and a lot of people are confused and think this will bring back the glory days of EverQuest being this super immersive community building style game (spoiler alert: your nostalgia is misleading you, it won't).

Oh alright, it's supposed to be more like Everquest than World of Warcraft. I can definitely see how that's an unfulfilled niche.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but this has been in development since the failed Kickstarter campaign right? The best ETA we have to go on is the January 2017 date. Accounting for the usual delays with crowdfunded MMOs, we're looking at a late 2017 release correct? That would have given it 4 years of development time accounting for the time it took to create the prototype. Seems reasonable for a content-based MMO.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I am infinitely more interested in this after reading your post. Thanks friend.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

hayden. posted:

I want to be positive about this but I can't. The TL;DW of the video is that it is almost literally identical to Everquest but with graphics about on par with Vanguard. I can imagine thinking that was awesome 5 years ago, but after doing P99 for a couple years I can't imagine wanting that gameplay style ever again.

I am not really sure I understand the motivation for creating the same gameplay mechanics that have been around for 17 years and beaten to death in every lovely MMO. Maybe they're just doing it for nostalgic purposes, or Brad really has a "vision" and won't die happy until it's executed exactly how he wants it to be, and this is his chance.

I can see the appeal in a finished Vanguard, but I don't really know if he can manage that considering he didn't do it the first time.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
XP loss and deleveling? loving dropped.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'd much rather just have a game treat gear as disposable and punish players with almost full loot (protect 3 or so items) than loving XP loss/deleveling. I really think RuneScape did a good job of that at one point where people had their high end gear for high level questing/dungeons, and they had their economically disposable gear that provided enough to remain competitive without spending millions of gold. I know Pantheon isn't going to be that kind of game but I hope something is in the near future (I'm looking at you Chronicles of Elyria/Shards Online).

What I really take issue with is this mentality of "people leave these games because it's too easy! Make the grind 150 hours instead of 20 so people know their classes!"
I don't know about you guys but when I play a generic theme park MMO, I can learn my friend's fully leveled classes in under an hour, often I can manage in the time that my friends tell me to play their characters when they go to the bathroom for five minutes. The real issue with these games is that content is completed far sooner than they can pump out more.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm definitely more of a fan of the sandbox design, but there is room for a sandbox/themepark hybrid despite the shortcomings of ArcheAge and Black Desert Online, as long as they don't treat it as a themepark up until max level and then it becomes a different game entirely.

I hope this does well because I enjoyed Vanguard and EQ1.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Outside of the nature assets (SpeedTrees) and a couple things like the loot chest and some of the structures (modular castle asset I think), I don't recognize that many assets. I'm more concerned about the poor texture work than I am about them using decent Unity assets.

:barf:

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 20, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Just to add: GW2 just reversed a bunch of "hardcore" stuff from their recent expansion. It's another example of people saying they want hardcore, but don't actually want hardcore in practice.

Eh, don't think that's the best example because GW2 expansion took a complete 180 from the original design. I do agree with you though, a lot of people think they want something (Darkfall) and then it releases and they don't want it when it actually happens (Darkfall).

There needs to be a balance and I think looking to RuneScape (a lot of current MMO fans' first MMO) would be a great way to design penalties and the economy.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I still can't believe that Brad Mcquaid's project that he couldn't secure $800,000 in crowdfunding for looks infinitely better than Richard Garriot's 9 million dollar behemoth.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

I think you're clinically insane, they both look like complete garbage.

One looks less garbage than the other and it's the one with a fraction of the funding behind it. At least Pantheon is creating their own assets.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'll buy in when I can get into the game for $40.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Believe they were talking about doing a buy2play model with content packs and a World of Warcraft-esque level 1-10 unlimited trial.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
AMA on reddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/4y7sd0/i_am_brad_aradune_mcquaid_cco_for_pantheon_rise/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

now watch alex make a new thread about it

If I was going to, it'd already be up my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Does the $100 packs include alpha access for both copies?

Edit: Nope, but if someone wants to split a pledge with me, we can share the primary account for alpha/beta access. Send me an email alexanderdelarge@outlook.com

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 20, 2016

• Locked thread