Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«355 »
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The cathars were succesfully wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009

I started a Vicky2 game as the Ottomans but I got horribly lost. I remember I have to set the NFs to get 2% clergy everywhere for the research. Then I realized my financial situation is poo poo so I raised taxes, which somehow led to soldier pops declining while there was a general population growth.
Not being able to enact reforms due to the government type was kinda bad too.

Once it came to war I had to recheck the wiki to see how army compositions even worked. Ended up easily taking back my Levantine cores but then got owned when I declared on Persia and the Russians intervened.

Anyone got some tips on priorities as the Ottomans? Or for Vicky2 in general, been a couple years since I last played it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

Tomn posted:

Insane for any conflict, not just the 19th century. Estimates vary, but tend around suggesting that 60-70% of all Paraguyan men died.
To put it into context, Serbia lost a little over 30% of its 15+ male population during WW1 if you trust contemporary Serbian sources. Yeah, it'd have to be pretty insane, to so outmatch the casualties of a country that itself suffered casualties that make the Western Front seem like a light skirmish.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah, them and everyone around them who had anything worth looting, but they were in a terrible position, out there in the plains of southern France.

The Hussites, on the other hand, just sat behind their mountains and wiped out all four crusades sent against them, and made peace with the Pope, then they wiped out the Pope's surprise fifth crusade and got themselves declared a legitimate Catholic rite.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Have you seen my glasses

How do I convert farmers to craftsmen in Victoria 2? I have so many empty factories even though my literacy rate is over %50.

e: Is using your national focus the only way to slowly convert them? I'd been using them to attract immigrants

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2018 around 10:39

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

You can check the chances for promotion by hovering over the individual pops. The most important is definitely making sure all of their life needs are met though.

E: NF just increases the chances of promotion. If you have too many negatives for other reasons it'll do absolutely nothing.

You could also be experiencing demotions if all three tiers of needs aren't met in your craftsmen.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2018 around 10:42

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ah, finally, oblivion

Star posted:

The thirty year war approached such levels in some places at least.

Yeah, the thirty year's war was what immediately came to mind, but it's been a while since I looked at it and the number I recalled was something like 1/3rd of all Germans. Narrowing that down to something like "fighting age men" would probably tip that over 1/2, but what do I know.

Anyway, lol, I too thought that he was describing a weird V2 game he was playing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah, them and everyone around them who had anything worth looting, but they were in a terrible position, out there in the plains of southern France.

The Hussites, on the other hand, just sat behind their mountains and wiped out all four crusades sent against them, and made peace with the Pope, then they wiped out the Pope's surprise fifth crusade and got themselves declared a legitimate Catholic rite.

Hussites were cool, shame about all the infighting and how factional they were what with some factions deciding anyone who isn't a hussite needs to be utterly exterminated without mercy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I always figured that Cathars were kind of a problem that would solve themselves, but apparently they weren't, somehow...

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

How do I convert farmers to craftsmen in Victoria 2? I have so many empty factories even though my literacy rate is over %50.

e: Is using your national focus the only way to slowly convert them? I'd been using them to attract immigrants

Protip: Unless you modded it, the Encourage Immigration NF is completely worthless. It only makes pops within your country more likely to pick a province if they migrate, it doesn't affect immigrants from other countries.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Its useful for colonies so you can make them states, but yes.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah the population of Bohemia only decreased by 50 percent, from 4 million to 2, and they had to start raiding neighbouring countries for goods and food. It took 3 centuries for the land to recover.

You know maybe we are better off without some simulation mechanics in Paradox games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Have you seen my glasses

Rynoto posted:

You can check the chances for promotion by hovering over the individual pops. The most important is definitely making sure all of their life needs are met though.

E: NF just increases the chances of promotion. If you have too many negatives for other reasons it'll do absolutely nothing.

You could also be experiencing demotions if all three tiers of needs aren't met in your craftsmen.

GrossMurpel posted:

Protip: Unless you modded it, the Encourage Immigration NF is completely worthless. It only makes pops within your country more likely to pick a province if they migrate, it doesn't affect immigrants from other countries.

Oh that explains a lot. Is there anything I can do to help pops meet their needs other than just reducing their tax rate as much as possible?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Reduce taxes and if you're a small nation without access to great power trading privileges you could run negative tariffs to subsidize the importing of goods from other countries. The highest rank GP gets first dibs on all trade before going onto the next and so on. Passing Minimum wage laws later on will drastically help with the needs and fuel an explosion of promotions. The negative tariffs will also help feed your artisans and keep people happy so it can sometimes pay for itself or even turn a profit over positive tariffs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Away all Goats posted:

Oh that explains a lot. Is there anything I can do to help pops meet their needs other than just reducing their tax rate as much as possible?

Depends - if they're missing a specific resource that you don't have within your sphere, conquering or sphereing a country with said resource could help fix things. Taking RGO-increasing techs could improve the income of the pops working those RGOs if they have a market to sell the surplus resources to - though on the other side of the coin, taking RGO-increasing techs could actually put farming and laborer pops out of work as fewer people are needed to do their jobs, which will cause them to demote to craftsmen instead, so win-win really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To put it into context, Serbia lost a little over 30% of its 15+ male population during WW1 if you trust contemporary Serbian sources. Yeah, it'd have to be pretty insane, to so outmatch the casualties of a country that itself suffered casualties that make the Western Front seem like a light skirmish.

In retrospect it was rather unwise of Paraguay to start a war with Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay all at the same time. A bit of a disparity in war making potential there.

«355 »