Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Year: 1440
Constantinople: Conquered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It looks like the main thing the game stole from EU is the map, with gameplay a generic 4X type. I guess maps are hard to copyright.
Maybe the wonkiness of the paradox map is to make copyright claims easier.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Furious posts on the official forums about how no, Paradox, Memel was not a perfect circle with C inscribed in it!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I love everything about this theory.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

quote:

Map: Earth
:thunk:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

They've got big dreams.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing I really appreciate Paradox doing is maintaining good wikis for their game. I'm getting back int Total War: Warhammer 2 for the new DLC release, and it's insane how bad the online documentation is. No good wiki, no talent calculator for the lords and heroes, opaque information, etc. And Total Warhammer surely has more players than all Paradox games together, I just can't understand why there's no decent wiki. So I appreciate that Paradox spends money and man-hours into maintaining their sites.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Torrannor posted:

One thing I really appreciate Paradox doing is maintaining good wikis for their game. I'm getting back int Total War: Warhammer 2 for the new DLC release, and it's insane how bad the online documentation is. No good wiki, no talent calculator for the lords and heroes, opaque information, etc. And Total Warhammer surely has more players than all Paradox games together, I just can't understand why there's no decent wiki. So I appreciate that Paradox spends money and man-hours into maintaining their sites.

Steamcharts gives Stellaris 70k and Total Warhammer 80k.
Edit: And the Warhammer record seems to be happening just now. What's up?

genericnick fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 21, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

Do actual Paradox employees manage the wiki or something? I was certain that it was managed by the public.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah. I think with Paradox it's simply easier to read the event files and figure out what exactly everything does.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

genericnick posted:

Steamcharts gives Stellaris 70k and Total Warhammer 80k.
Edit: And the Warhammer record seems to be happening just now. What's up?

Really, this low? That's surprising.

Of course there's a new DLC and major patch for Warhammer 2 out for like 12 hours. I haven't finished downloading yet, but it would make sense to see TW2's numbers spike right now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do actual Paradox employees manage the wiki or something? I was certain that it was managed by the public.

This is the core page for all Paradox wikis, with Paradox copyright mark at the bottom. Combined with the fact that wiki updates are usually super fast, and give pretty detailed information about a lot of in-depth mechanics, I was under the impression that those were indeed managed by Paradox employees. But I can't prove it right now. Does anybody know more?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 21, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

doingitwrong posted:

I love everything about this theory.
It has historical precedent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

Of course there's a new DLC and major patch for Warhammer 2 out for like 12 hours.
The DLC has been out for ~5 hours, not that it makes a big difference.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Torrannor posted:

This is the core page for all Paradox wikis, with Paradox copyright mark at the bottom. Combined with the fact that wiki updates are usually super fast, and give pretty detailed information about a lot of in-depth mechanics, I was under the impression that those were indeed managed by Paradox employees. But I can't prove it right now. Does anybody know more?

https://central.paradoxwikis.com/Central:About#Paradoxian

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Many people play Total War: Warhammer because it is a good and fun strategy game and, this is important, all of it's poo poo actually loving works right.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yes, thank you. As I suspected, the wikis are actually owned by Paradox, they're no longer merely fan projects. The creator of the wikis sold them to Paradox, and they hired him as wiki manager. Now he's even become a developer at the studio.

Chomp8645 posted:

Many people play Total War: Warhammer because it is a good and fun strategy game and, this is important, all of it's poo poo actually loving works right.

I'm a huge fan of Total Warhammer, but saying "all of it's poo poo actually loving works right" is... bold.

Edit: Just follow the SA Total Warhammer thread, you will quickly learn which things the patch has broken.

The DLC has been out for ~5 hours, not that it makes a big difference.

Sorry I wasn't more precise. The only thing I cared about was that the DLC was released while I was at work, so I didn't bother to remember the exact time.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 21, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well dang, that explains why the other CK2 wiki was so much weaker.

https://crusaderkings-two.fandom.com/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

Weird when things get multiple wikis. I remember Dark Souls had 3, all with their own horrible shortcomings.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

YSorry I wasn't more precise. The only thing I cared about was that the DLC was released while I was at work, so I didn't bother to remember the exact time.
Oh no need to apologize, I was just clarifying because I think that its pretty impressive that its only been out a few hours plus it is still the workday in the western hemisphere and its already setting records.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well dang, that explains why the other CK2 wiki was so much weaker.

https://crusaderkings-two.fandom.com/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

Weird when things get multiple wikis. I remember Dark Souls had 3, all with their own horrible shortcomings.

The trouble with something like Dark Souls is you get fandom splits where everyone wants to be the One True Wiki. Having a properly managed Paradox one helps prevent that because people will just naturally gravitate towards the official one rather than having internet slapfights over which unofficial one is the best.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oh no need to apologize, I was just clarifying because I think that its pretty impressive that its only been out a few hours plus it is still the workday in the western hemisphere and its already setting records.

dunno if workday means quite that much right now

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Age of Civilizations 2 is actually a tolerable pseudo-grand strategy game (clearly made for mobile as noted) and was made by one guy so can't knock it that much.

It has plenty of issues though, but that's just good old fashioned paradox emulation.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

No, I meant magic, like fun events. It's a Paradox game set before CK2. Dionysus should be walking around the map like Bowser in SimCity.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Big Hubris posted:

No, I meant magic, like fun events. It's a Paradox game set before CK2. Dionysus should be walking around the map like Bowser in SimCity.

this is exactly what the city bulder Zeus did

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I do find it funny that the game is about Rome, has Rome in the title, is a sequel/remake of a game about Rome, and shipped with Rome having a single consul. That'll always make me chuckle a little.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Agean90 posted:

this is exactly what the city bulder Zeus did

Which is still my favorite city builder to this day.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I haven't played Imperator but my big idea for that game is that you should build road networks that appear on the map a la the railroads in Victoria 2, and it should be incredibly hard to move large armies overland without said roads. So basically you have to do what Rome did and build the infrastructure of empire if you actually want to blob out.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mantis42 posted:

I haven't played Imperator but my big idea for that game is that you should build road networks that appear on the map a la the railroads in Victoria 2, and it should be incredibly hard to move large armies overland without said roads. So basically you have to do what Rome did and build the infrastructure of empire if you actually want to blob out.

I'm playing it, and haven't gotten to being able to build roads yet, but this does sound like the mechanic.

I'm playing as Armenia. The Seleukids allied with Macedonia, and the AI made the calculation that two of the biggest powers in the game working together could take me and my allies, so they wardecced me. Except, between Macedonia and me there's the whole of Anatolia and a chunk of Greece. And Seluekos is enormous. By the time they actually started bringing their armies in from the hinterlands, we already had a string of victories in battle and several provinces captured. I just sued for peace and grabbed a bunch of their land.

So yeah, needing roads seems to be the mechanic.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mantis42 posted:

There is that but it's not as important as you might think. Plus there's a food system - your army carries food with it and only suffers attrition when there's no food. So in a sense to maintain an empire you need to create roads between large population centers and keep your armies in breadbasket regions on the frontiers. Also roads improve assimilation and migration. It's a tiny bonus IIRC but everything counts.

I say it's not as big as you think cause the map is huge. There are so many territories and the roads exist not just in a specific territory a la Victoria 2 (or Civilization) but you need them to connect every pair of provinces to work. For a small state it can be useful to defend the border but if you're big enough it's just there to move armies between regions faster.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Apparently Paradox is having Johan spin off into a new studio in Spain?
https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1267440940588941314
From RPS (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/01/paradox-have-opened-a-new-studio-focused-on-grand-strategy-games/)

quote:

"I am excited and grateful for this opportunity to build up a new studio in a new location, putting the knowledge accumulated through the decades of building games and development studios into good use,” studio manager Andersson said in today’s announcement. “My goal is to assemble a team and create a fully functional studio to keep on developing the Europa Universalis brand, and later design and develop new grand strategy games."

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This part is interesting:

quote:

“We currently have around 70 open positions across our seven studios, with plans to recruit roughly 200 people in 2020 alone.”

Their studios have ~270 employees as of their year-end report in April. So that’s a pretty big change if they’re all going to the development side.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are... are they going to start spinning their successful games off into their own studios? The EU franchise is one of their foundational games so this is weird to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Obviously they wanted to extend their colonial range further.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Need a 100 devs to work on the economy system in Vicky 3

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Need a 100 devs to work on the economy system in Vicky 3

probably a few hundred too few :v:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm the guy in the comments worried about businesses moving to Catalonia.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm the guy in the comments worried about businesses moving to Catalonia.

I'd be more worried about Covid than the political situation though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe if they move to Catalonia they'll finally make a system to break up all those big blobs.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe if they move to Catalonia they'll finally make a system to break up all those big blobs.
:lol:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Yay outsourcing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

SlothfulCobra posted:

:vince: