Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

I can’t wait for some crazy bastard to try and start a mega-campaign from Imperator: Rome
heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Question about the original Rome, how civilized were the Gauls relative to Rome?

I don't recall exactly how much worse off than the Romans they were, but I remember my Averni game was a slow, painful slog of waiting to become civilized enough to reform into a civilized state, all while the Romans were getting bigger and scarier. I don't remember the exact details of how it worked, but in EU: Rome "civilization" was a provincial value that sloooowly rose from things like trade with and proximity to more civilized neighbors.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the only thing that would be better than a mega-campaign would be a succession mega-campaign.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Glad to see Pontus will be playable from the get-go. Always enjoyed playing as the Poison King.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

long haired gauls and blue faced celts, in the phalanx?

yea, massalia

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Imperator>Attila>CK2: Winter King>CK2>EU5>Vicky 3>DH

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I can’t wait for some crazy bastard to try and start a mega-campaign from Imperator: Rome

it's time for a mega-MP-campaign

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I'm really excited at the political and trade emphasis that seems to be in I:R. I'm hoping these are really flushed out and I can plot backstabbing of my would-be emperors who really should just get out of my way for the better of the Republic.

Ninja edit: Also overhaul mods that could utilize this system. No mesopotamia-based standalone game? I:R might make a good base for one. Or a post-apoc North America map. Or, or, or...

Ofaloaf posted:

Also, Johan said "Imperator" in a way that didn't sound the same as other times I've heard it said in a Latin sense, and that makes me angry.

Now I'm really worried I have no idea how to pronounce Imperator. I've never taken any Latin studies or listened to any lectures on the topic. How is it usually pronounced?

Ofaloaf posted:

After the End won an award at pdxcon. :)

As others have said, amazing work. You deserve that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

whats the timespan on imperator again

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

whats the timespan on imperator again

303 BC - 27 BC if we take their "to the end of the republic" comment literally. If they want to give the player some wiggle room they could give them a round 300 years. Or maybe take it to 14AD and the death of Augustus.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They also mention there's only gonna be one start date, which makes sense I suppose given how many times they've mentioned that like 99.9% of all games are only ever from the earliest one. I hope we'll see some DLC extending it though like there is in CK2.

ExtraNoise posted:

Now I'm really worried I have no idea how to pronounce Imperator. I've never taken any Latin studies or listened to any lectures on the topic. How is it usually pronounced?

didn't you ever play Rome: Total War?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Koramei posted:

It starts right around 300 BCE and goes for 270 or so years apparently

didn't you ever play Rome: Total War?

Total war pronounces it wrong.

It has a long A, not a long E.

ImpeRAtor, not ImPERator

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Nah it's too entrenched in my mind at this point.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Koramei posted:

They also mention there's only gonna be one start date, which makes sense I suppose given how many times they've mentioned that like 99.9% of all games are only ever from the earliest one. I hope we'll see some DLC extending it though like there is in CK2.

Plus they said it increases the amount of QA work massively for so little pay off. It’s listed as one of the biggest regrets of eu4 from their 2017 pdxcon presentation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

That's nothing I ever heard and not really something you can read from the the actual sources, so whoever is saying that is making a whole lot of assumptions based on very little evidence (they are also assuming that you could speak of any coherent Roman foreign policy in that era, other than a general agreement to further the glory of Rome, and hence establish and maintain hegemony over the Mediterranean world). There was no such thing as a united Gaul. Rome was allied to a number of Gaulish tribes/cities, and Caesar's conquests were not official Roman policy, and widely condemned by the Roman political elite (for instance because he had attacked many people who were Roman allies).

It has however become more and more clear that Gaul was very rich, and had a number of large settlements, some of which might be called cities, and were ruled by what seems to have been some sort of republican system, at least some places.
I might have laid it on a little too thick, meant it more in a civilizational sense than Gaul being a united empire. Obviously you're right that there wasn't like a unified Roman policy, but they must still have had stories about the world they live in - stories that would then influence how they behaved toward outsiders, even if they did some heavy propagandizing after the fact. The fact that Gaul was rich and somewhat civilized was probably enough for Caesar, if you're gonna make a great big conquest to fuel your political ambitions the developed Gaul is probably a better idea than the deep forests of Germany.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I might have laid it on a little too thick, meant it more in a civilizational sense than Gaul being a united empire. Obviously you're right that there wasn't like a unified Roman policy, but they must still have had stories about the world they live in - stories that would then influence how they behaved toward outsiders, even if they did some heavy propagandizing after the fact. The fact that Gaul was rich and somewhat civilized was probably enough for Caesar, if you're gonna make a great big conquest to fuel your political ambitions the developed Gaul is probably a better idea than the deep forests of Germany.

"Gaul is rich and somewhat civilized" honestly sounds less like "We must cut down a potential rival!" and more like "Think of the LOOT! And they're savages, so it'll be easy!"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The only thing I know about Gaul is it's divided into three parts.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Charlz Guybon posted:

ImpeRAtor, not ImPERator

This is correct in both Swedish and English but like a lot of shared Latin and Greek loan words they're still pronounced with different phonemes in the two languages. I've got a fairly mild accent overall but I still pronounce "imperator" with a Swedish ɑː and not an English ä for the third syllable when speaking English.

After living in the US for a couple of years I've learnt to not say things like "centaur" and "cephalopod" with hard k-sounds because that particular tic confuses the hell out of people, but it's still been strangely difficult to rewire myself to Greek-as-English rather than Greek-as-Swedish.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just the thought of Imperator proncounced with a Swedish accent gives me chills. I can picture it perfectly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're right. Game better start with everything written in the Old Latin alphabet, then have new letters introduced if Rome conquers Greece. :v:

HOI4 dumping the faux Cyrillic from HOI3 was a real shame.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're in luck! :gonk:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730496493&searchtext=map+font

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Actually being able to read Cyrillic, I hated it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

SOWJET UИIOИ

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CHIИД = SNEEEED

Please use Cyrillic responsibly.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

unwantedplatypus posted:

From Ptolemy to the Stars

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Fister Roboto posted:

CHIИД = SNEEEED

Please use Cyrillic responsibly.

Mao’s feed and succeed

Formerly Chiang’s

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter

Koramei posted:

drat. That’s one of the best features of EU4, especially because the earliest start date sucks soo much.

Also, I suppose this means that Parthia won’t be playable? Cool.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Potzblitz! posted:

drat. That’s one of the best features of EU4, especially because the earliest start date sucks soo much.

Also, I suppose this means that Parthia won’t be playable? Cool.

Why not? They are on the map. The Parthians were a thing long before they conquered the Seleucid east. Dependign on how they end up doing the Seleucids they could still very well make it in. Otherwise there's always the option to save a game and load up as someone else.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 21, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Is there an Imperator thread? Sorry if I missed it but tried to find any link to one :/

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Omnicarus posted:

Glad to see Pontus will be playable from the get-go.

But...I don't want to play as loving Pontus.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Groogy posted:

Is there an Imperator thread? Sorry if I missed it but tried to find any link to one :/

I don't think there's one yet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't think there's one yet.
Yeah, doesn't seem like there's quite enough information to justify another thread for it just yet. Not like this thread can't serve perfectly well as an Imperator thread with the occasional discussion about other Paradox stuff, given that they've yet to make their surprise reveal of Vicky III.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Why not? They are on the map. The Parthians were a thing long before they conquered the Seleucid east. Dependign on how they end up doing the Seleucids they could still very well make it in. Otherwise there's always the option to save a game and load up as someone else.

Forgot this, but the actual "Parthians" (as in the founders of the Arsacid dynasty) were the Parni, a Dahae people. They didn't come into Parthia until later when they conquered it. They should probably actually be on the map as a nomadic/tribal faction outside the Seleucid empire by the Caspian sea.

So there should really be nothing stopping the Parthians from being playable at the 304 BC start date. They should start out as just the Parni though, with "Parthia" or "Parthian Empire/Kingdom" being a formable tag for them.

The Parni should be somewhere around here I think, in Dahestan.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 21, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
At least 9 unit types, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a siege engine unit as well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

I was actually seriously considering starting up a mega campaign LP beginning with EU:Rome last week. Don't know how I feel about now, but Imperator is still quite a way off.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So for the goons that were able to go to PDXCon this year: was going to the event itself worth it? Someone (Ofaloaf?) had mentioned before that they kinda ran out of things to do my mid-afternoon on Saturday. Did Sunday's events/panels/etc. and the party thing make up for it?

Also: anyone know if there is a VOD up of last night's Hearts of Iron multiplayer thing yet? I haven't seen one on the PDX official Twitch channel (tbh there's not a ton of VODs from PDXCon up there at all...)

Edit: alternately does anyone have a recommended multiplayer LP of HOI4 on Youtube, ideally post-Wanking the Tiger (and not the official ones that PDX did for release)?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed it, but I live here. I thought the panels were pretty interesting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

quote:

aradox Grand Strategy: Veni, Vidi, Vicky

I like this perfect new title.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Half the problem was that the goon group had been out drinking the two nights before Saturday, so by the afternoon half of us were shattered. It was worth it to meet some other goons, but it wouldn't be worth travelling to solo. Although I did enjoy playtesting the new CK2 board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter

Randarkman posted:

Forgot this, but the actual "Parthians" (as in the founders of the Arsacid dynasty) were the Parni, a Dahae people. They didn't come into Parthia until later when they conquered it. They should probably actually be on the map as a nomadic/tribal faction outside the Seleucid empire by the Caspian sea.

So there should really be nothing stopping the Parthians from being playable at the 304 BC start date. They should start out as just the Parni though, with "Parthia" or "Parthian Empire/Kingdom" being a formable tag for them.

The Parni should be somewhere around here I think, in Dahestan.
I’m aware of the history here, but the point is that Parthia is not on the map, and I don’t expect nomads to be playable on release. Maybe there’ll be a Dahae or Parni tag and “Parthia” will be easily formable by the player (although you’d need very favorable conditions obv) or maybe they’ll even have mechanics in place that’ll make AI Parthia pop up in most games. However, this is exactly why I prefer to have later start dates to play around with.

But I hope you’re right and this will be a non-issue.