Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

vyelkin posted:

You can walk into a cushy high-paying job if you as a young person are willing to dedicate your life to learning 50-year-old programming languages and then maintaing 50-year-old computer systems.

hold the global financial system hostage for even more money imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

You can walk into a cushy high-paying job if you as a young person are willing to dedicate your life to learning 50-year-old programming languages and then maintaing 50-year-old computer systems.

I'm sure nothing could go wrong with that career decision.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Agean90 posted:

hold the global financial system hostage for even more money imo

I'm surprised they haven't already made a hacker thriller movie out of this premise, tbh.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

DrSunshine posted:

I'm surprised they haven't already made a hacker thriller movie out of this premise, tbh.

Wasn't that the plot of one of the newer die hard movies?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

BenRGamer posted:

Wasn't that the plot of one of the newer die hard movies?

Featuring an F-35 so useless a freeway managed to defeat it. Yes.

Despite how stupid the premise was I always enjoy watching Bruce Willis shoot people so I enjoyed it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

should have gone with a light shower for realism

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Update on my Imperator: Rome mod. Still working on rivers. So many rivers...

I've completed the Mississippi (and Missouri, Ohio, Red, etc), the Columbia (and Snake, Pend Oreille, etc), the Mobile, the Great Lakes rivers, and am currently working on the tributaries to the St. Lawrence.

This will never end.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

Update on my Imperator: Rome mod. Still working on rivers. So many rivers...

I've completed the Mississippi (and Missouri, Ohio, Red, etc), the Columbia (and Snake, Pend Oreille, etc), the Mobile, the Great Lakes rivers, and am currently working on the tributaries to the St. Lawrence.

This will never end.

That's awesome. Are you doing this for a particular mod or as an asset for future mods by whoever wants to use it?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though that means they will call you every time something goes wrong.

Which will happen a lot

Yes, that's what "maintaining 50 year old computer systems" means. What a weird post to make :psyduck:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm sure nothing could go wrong with that career decision.

That's like saying if we cure cancer your degree in medicine is suddenly useless. It doesn't work that way. You still know how to program and you still have a college degree.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

vyelkin posted:

From what I hear, the bad part isn't the 50 year old language or the 50 year old system, it's the 50 year old development practices: fixing only the immediate bugs, being afraid to make any improvements, refusing to allow for tests, frequently no modern source control, frequently old code editors, and no comprehension that all of that is why the code base is a creaky mess just waiting to blow up.

I considered that career path once, but it sounds worse than working for an AAA game studio.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

idhrendur posted:

From what I hear, the bad part isn't the 50 year old language or the 50 year old system, it's the 50 year old development practices: fixing only the immediate bugs, being afraid to make any improvements, refusing to allow for tests, frequently no modern source control, frequently old code editors, and no comprehension that all of that is why the code base is a creaky mess just waiting to blow up.

I considered that career path once, but it sounds worse than working for an AAA game studio.

If it was a fun job that everyone wanted to do it wouldn't pay so much

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

idhrendur posted:

One final whammy of why even the brightest new grad would fail even if they were ready for the technical challenges is that the first generation were accountants first and computer scientists by experience. The documentation if any is going to assume an accountant is reading it so it's going to be like this program does an interest free triple lutz and nobody is going to understand why you don't understand the steps in doing an interest free triple lutz because the last guy knew what an interest free triple lutz is so what are you some kind of imbecile?

That goes for a lot of worthwhile business systems jobs but is aggravated for the legacy stuff because noone understands why you might need a green accountant and a green programmer to replace one experienced guy.

All bets are off for Fortran because you can't just hire a guy who knows Fortran, you absolutely need someone who knows fortran and also the science being coded.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

That's awesome. Are you doing this for a particular mod or as an asset for future mods by whoever wants to use it?

A particular mod, but I'd be happy to let anyone have the source files so they can do their own mods with it once it's done.

My mod is set in a post-apocalyptic North America, essentially replacing ancient Mediterranean city-states with neo-feudal American ones.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Chalks posted:

If it was a fun job that everyone wanted to do it wouldn't pay so much

It is pretty cushy though, just a bit of a gamble as to how long it will last.

zedprime posted:

All bets are off for Fortran because you can't just hire a guy who knows Fortran, you absolutely need someone who knows fortran and also the science being coded.

Brand new Fortran is still being written everyday lol, to the point where even Visual Studio supports it OOTB

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Flavius Aetass posted:

Cool and good imo, looking forward to crushing DC by marching my tanks over the Appalachians

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"Vae Victus" I intone as an endless line of tribute leaves the smoldering ruins of Atlanta, preparing for the triumph back home where I will adopt the title of Sure Man

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Despite how stupid the premise was I always enjoy watching Bruce Willis shoot people so I enjoyed it.

That movie was so drat unrealistic, it had a flying F-35.

On the note of Cobol, UBS still teaches it if you do your IT apprenticeship there. Yes it's still in use on some backend systems for some reason.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-13-20th-of-august-2018.1115536/

Senate's back, looks more or less the same as how I remember it. That's good! Internal politics is good and cool, and imo it's gooder and cooler when those politics have a hard lock on what you can and can't do.

Now: complaints and nitpicking.

I'd side-eyeing that penalty for having dominant populists. So, the faction empowered by discontent, the iconoclasts, the ones least married to the status quo... are the party least capable of changing things? :thunk:

If they had to have a penalty, maybe an increase in global corruption gain?

Also:

These party icons? Paradox have a pretty strong icon game in general, I think, but these are bad. They're super noisy and they're dominated by neutral colours- they have no strong colour identity and they don't pop against the background at all (that marble interface strikes again).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'd side-eyeing that penalty for having dominant populists. So, the faction empowered by discontent, the iconoclasts, the ones least married to the status quo... are the party least capable of changing things? :thunk:

populists are just the generic bad thing party to paradox, they were a penalty party in rome 1 too

don't stop and think about the political dimensions of that decision (because they never have)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The populists are universally bad in the same way that peasants in EUIV and CK2 are universally bad. They're from the point of view of the ruling class.

It does seem weird that there aren't more (explained) negatives to have certain parties in power, though, like opinion maluses between two states with militarist parties in power or bonuses for two countries both with a religious party in power and the same religion.

Those icons are also bad and difficult to read at a glance. The EU:R icons may have been ugly but had a very strong colour scheme that doesn't quite come through here.

It's also not a big deal but I would like it if it showed what party the country's ruler comes from on the diplomacy screen, especially if it could help plan around AI actions.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 20, 2018

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jazerus posted:

populists are just the generic bad thing party to paradox, they were a penalty party in rome 1 too

don't stop and think about the political dimensions of that decision (because they never have)

sons of zeus were the penalty party in rome 1 :colbert:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
The real key part of this dev diary is that we'll be able to mod in custom factions. :helladid:

Now when I make a Crete mod I'll be able to represent factional politics in their true glory:

Okay well maybe not all of that, but at least the standard/radicalized version of each party, crypto-populists and anti-populists, and of course sons of zeus...

If they had to have a penalty, maybe an increase in global corruption gain?

Maybe it's just the fact that everybody hates the Populists so much that all the landowners and people in charge oppose everything they try to do and make it more difficult to get things done.

That was my experience at least when Populists were in charge. :v:

Takanago fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 20, 2018

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, they have Stellaris on consoles now. Interesting.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Victoria 3 on switch confirmed

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Populists are the people who are going against all establishment and structure and have nothing going for them aside from popular support. Even if they're in favor of what the player wants to do, they'll just make things more difficult from all the institutional friction.

These party icons? Paradox have a pretty strong icon game in general, I think, but these are bad. They're super noisy and they're dominated by neutral colours- they have no strong colour identity and they don't pop against the background at all (that marble interface strikes again).

Imperator seems like a neat game, but all the aesthetics seem kinda crap. The map is covered in gray, the portraits seem kinda uncanny valley, the icons are a bit crap and not easily identifiable, and the flags are all muted and indistinct from eachother. They can't ALL be laurel wreaths.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I'm assuming the endless laurel wreath flags are placeholders lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the graphics when the army icon is still a platypus.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm pumped for Rome 2 and all but man if that UI isn't off-putting to me for some reason. Maybe because everything is the same granite shade.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The marble UI theme is a bad choice imo, the pale yellow-white is terrible for color contrast and making things easily recognizable.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm not sure what's up with the art direction in general. it's certainly a step down from ck2 and eu4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm definitely not a fan of the 3d character models. CK1 style profiles would work a lot better, make them look like Roman coins.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

V for Vegas posted:

So, they have Stellaris on consoles now. Interesting.

Wait, I didn't dream that? :psyduck:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ms Adequate posted:

Wait, I didn't dream that? :psyduck:

Is that real.

Controlling a paradox game on a console seems unfun

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm definitely not a fan of the 3d character models. CK1 style profiles would work a lot better, make them look like Roman coins.

I really like the Romain coin idea, but honestly I really like the 3D character models even more.

The only thing the characters need is a little twinkle in their eye so they don't look so corpse-y.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

The marble UI theme is a bad choice imo, the pale yellow-white is terrible for color contrast and making things easily recognizable.

Yeah, it looks pretty tacky too. I hope it's not final. Someone did a mock up of what it would look like with a mosaic theme and it was great.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the graphics when the army icon is still a platypus.

I think the platypus is actually their debug console. You see a similar thing on their HoI4 development screenshots, except it’s a dog wearing a helmet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Prav posted:

i'm not sure what's up with the art direction in general. it's certainly a step down from ck2 and eu4

It almost reminds me of an AGEOD game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope there'll be a mod that replaces them with faces from Oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Agreed, looking forward to the game but the UI is just not looking good. Useable sure, but not particularly pleasant to look at. Also I'm surprised at how much of the map is still wastes in that picture.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the platypus is actually their debug console. You see a similar thing on their HoI4 development screenshots, except it's a dog wearing a helmet.

It is.