Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

I think it was mentioned on stream that due to the age of CK2 this isn't a thing they can do.
That wouldnt surprise me, but I know someone made a mod that uses an outside system to build the map but I'm not positive about that, and that obviously is probably out of scope for the final DLC of a 6 year old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah HOI4 nailed the level of control you should have over armies - grand strategy is about setting objectives and looking after the big picture while having the option to micromanage if you really want.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh. :flaccid: I read "random world generation" as making a new map, not keeping the same map but randomizing the countries.

Given how EU4's random new world generation has gone, and how much tweaking they do with map improvements in CK2, I feel like maybe physical maps in paradox games need more craftsmanship than procedural generation can provide. I think if they established a few base landmasses you could make a neat randomized system off of that, but full 4X style random gen doesn't work so well outside grid systems.

Also Paradox games are really light on modelling what makes borders what they are. They have mountain ranges and territory types, but there's a heavy amount of abstraction between them and actual gameplay implications. Some terrain is really slow to go across, some deserts and mountain ranges are totally impassable, and sometimes rivers are powerful borders that it's a pain to go across, sometimes they're in the middle of a province, and sometimes you can use them as highways. They don't really determine province shapes, they just pick and choose borders that have been determined in the real world over a couple thousand years with a couple of tweaks for gameplay considerations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I would slam purchase Imperator day 1 no questions asked if it was impossible to manually control armies and the game was balanced around forcing you to use the AI but I'm fairly sceptical that they'd do that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

I mean 3d rendering is just projection onto a flat surface, everything is just an illusion when it comes to game graphics. It's nothing weird.

Ok, I'll let it pass, but you're going to have to step it up a notch to a full globe for EU5. :colbert:

RabidWeasel posted:

I would slam purchase Imperator day 1 no questions asked if it was impossible to manually control armies and the game was balanced around forcing you to use the AI but I'm fairly sceptical that they'd do that.

You could do something interesting with the games where you are a character instead of a 'spirit of the roman people'. So you can only command the army that you're physically leading and the rest get instructions HOI4 style. You'd need more court poo poo and drawbacks for leaving France to go Crusading or whatever. Could be interesting if you really leaned into this, but it would be really different. Makes me want a CK3 to push even more towards rpg stuff like ROT3K, so you could play a landless knight and travel around Europe.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 12, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
When you think about it, a sphere is really just a bunch of circles anyway.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

When you think about it, a sphere is really just a bunch of circles anyway.

And in the end, all these squares make a circle.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Groogy posted:

god the new engine stuff is so nice to mod in.

:saddowns:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I think Pillars of Eternity II is a pretty good game, I enjoyed it a lot. Perhaps it feels better than it is, since there's no competition, but that's hardly Obsidian's fault.

pillars 2 was published by Versus Evil, the banner saga publishers, not paradox

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Koramei posted:

If it’s okay to ask random modding questions, can you add republican factions dynamically throughout the game? Like e.g. adding new estate types in EU4 through conditions (like holding steppe for Cossacks etc). Or will it be fixed based on the government type?

I’m (planning on) making a China mod and when I saw the dev diary on the factions I thought it’d be a great way to model emerging philosophical schools/decline of nobility, if you can get factions to come and go throughout the game, but I later realized there’s no reason to assume they should be dynamic like that in the base game, so now I’ve been wondering for a while.

Is this an Imperator question or an EU4 question?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
imperator! these ones: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-13-20th-of-august-2018.1115536/

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

After the PC Gamer and RPS articles, Imperator has my attention.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

please change my username to haruspicy memelard

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Ah not sure if okay for me to blurt out about. I know some at the company wanna talk about modding at some point. I also know the engine team also would like to talk about the cool things they've done. So I don't want to steal their limelight if they get a chance to write a dev diary.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Groogy posted:

Ah not sure if okay for me to blurt out about. I know some at the company wanna talk about modding at some point. I also know the engine team also would like to talk about the cool things they've done. So I don't want to steal their limelight if they get a chance to write a dev diary.

Run their chances over like tanks in the USSR.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Groogy posted:

Knowing the record thus far, the Imperator Dev Diary on modding will consist of an alphabetical list of triggers and conditions, and nothing else.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the imperator diaries would really benefit from being handed off to a better writer. ideally someone who can better articulate top-level vision and focus on illustrative examples rather than getting bogged down in context-free, numbers-focused details. i think the marked contrast between the response to the RPS and PC Gamer articles and the dev diaries illustrates the problem.

i know people talk a lot about wanting real input from the devs and not pr speak, but the imperator stuff could really benefit from being handed off to someone who has more experience crafting a pr message. that would honestly be more informative than very specific numbers in a game none of us can play yet.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cease to Hope posted:

the imperator diaries

This sounds like the name of a YA fiction series about Augustus' rise to power

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like the numbers are mostly just filler because people complain when the dev diaries are too short but there's better things to do than spend all day writing them. Johan's been writing the things for years and years, he's not the best writer among the devs but he's not as bad as you guys are making out, and there's still been plenty of interesting stuff that's been talked about. Y'all in this thread are just ridiculously quick to jump into being as negative as possible.

Outside of the main posts (and sometimes even in them, like the "for fun and enjoyment" or whatever it was comment re: 1 consul) I do think he's been getting needlessly belligerent and dismissive, but when you have to deal with Paradox fans for 20 years I can kind of understand that attitude.

Groogy posted:

Oh I understand, that makes sense. It's cool to know there'll be a lot of improvements to modding in any case.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I don't think Johan's a bad writer. I remember him getting me pumped for monarch points and trade before eu4 came out. He seems burnt out with pdox fans or maybe they just started the DDs too early. Regardless, if this game is coming out early 2019 as I think I remember hearing, then we're going to have to get more info soon.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm burnt out with paradox fans and I only look at the forum once a year.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Yeah I don't think Johan's a bad writer.

i don't think he's a bad writer either, just not well-suited to the sort of writing necessary, while paradox does have plenty of people who are.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Here's an article from VentureBeat about the upgrades to the Clausewitz engine and the Jomini add-on for those who are interested.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/14/the-engine-behind-paradox-development-studios-future-games/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

In the World War II game Hearts of Iron IV, if artists want to make a small adjustment, they need to go into Photoshop, tweak some pixels on the map, fire up the game again and reload the map, see if the changes look good, go back into Photoshop. It’s a bit of a slog for the tiniest of adjustments. With the new tools, all these changes can take place while the game is running live. Artists can paint the map, essentially, and the see the impact of their tweaks instantly.

Koramei

put your map mod on hold :catstare:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groogy posted:

I mean 3d rendering is just projection onto a flat surface, everything is just an illusion when it comes to game graphics. It's nothing weird.
Does 3d rendering render the fact that distances on a sphere are different from distances on a flat projection? :colbert:

OK, that's pretty huge. Here's hoping for even more quality of life improvements on the map-modding front.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Personally I'm hella hyped for the lack of curly bits to make events because that's what's stopped me every time I had a good idea

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

That's... the language? That's not gone.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the modding language has been replaced with an AI that just takes what you type in and changes the game for you

since its an ai the results will vary

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the modding language has been replaced with an AI that just takes what you type in and changes the game for you

I typed in "make a good mod" and I seem to be playing a version of CK2 where all humans are dead and the world is just run by one single computer without vassals.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

I typed in "make a good mod" and I seem to be playing a version of CK2 where all humans are dead and the world is just run by one single computer without vassals.

Fu.....
I gotta make some calls.... fast.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think it's broken. I told it to stop sucking but it just returned the message.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Rogue AI wipes out Belgium and the Netherlands to fulfill demand for "pretty borders"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
U.N. nods thoughtfully.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

That's... the language? That's not gone.
Noooooooooooooooo
My dream of simply going: "Robo-Platypus, create mod 'Remove-Europe.mod' post-haste" , ruined!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Culture groups, mayhap?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Culture groups, mayhap?

Beyond a doubt IMO.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/9oyznf/why_are_the_great_purge_apartheid_the_bengal/

Reddit has a big drama thread about the Great Purge and the Holocaust in HOI, and atrocities in general across paradox games.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

KoldPT posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/9oyznf/why_are_the_great_purge_apartheid_the_bengal/

Reddit has a big drama thread about the Great Purge and the Holocaust in HOI, and atrocities in general across paradox games.

that is a good discussion imo, and one paradox can only lose if they reply

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

KoldPT posted:

It's because Hitler and Stalin were right and did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

It's because Hitler and Stalin were right and did nothing wrong.

Truly the birth of National Bolshevism