Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You should've probably betrayed your ally already. Don't worry about staying within the state limit too much, once you have the first one or two bonii to Administrative Efficiency just conquer conquer conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Red Bones posted:

Is forming Bharat one of the exceptions to the whole "you've achieved all your goals before the end of the 1600s" thing in EU4, or am I just being slow? I started as a Nepalese princedom and by the 1690s I only own the big top half of India, I've still got to betray my ally who owns all of Deccan and eat them. I kept on running into the state limit and just focused on assembling some big marches instead of doing more conquering, was this the wrong choice?

Please, keep in mind that people saying their games are over by 1600 usually have hundreds of hours in the game and are very good at it, and probably minmax like hell. And/or just get bored.

I do have more than a thousand but I still suck, and I can certify that most of my games are nowhere near done by 1600, more like 1700-1750 or so, depending on what I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes I'm still racing against the clock in 1800...

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yep. Turns out maintaining a mod was way more effort than I could spare, when a single patch can make it stop working altogether and you've not even gotten a single hint of what change caused it to stop working. This is why you should only mod dead games.

This is from a few pages back but it's something that frustrates me a lot with the regular updates (which are good don't get me wrong). I get it's harder to keep things compatible every update and sometimes things change enough even with unlimited time you couldn't stop things breaking but it does suck a lot seeing how many mods just become dead because the manpower's not there to update them fast enough or they're trying but hitting unfindable bugs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Red Bones posted:

Is forming Bharat one of the exceptions to the whole "you've achieved all your goals before the end of the 1600s" thing in EU4, or am I just being slow? I started as a Nepalese princedom and by the 1690s I only own the big top half of India, I've still got to betray my ally who owns all of Deccan and eat them. I kept on running into the state limit and just focused on assembling some big marches instead of doing more conquering, was this the wrong choice?
Are you having fun? Then no, you did not make the wrong choice. I was going to say more but Torak Fade already said essentially what I was going to say, but better.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

YF-23 posted:

You should've probably betrayed your ally already. Don't worry about staying within the state limit too much, once you have the first one or two bonii to Administrative Efficiency just conquer conquer conquer.

This but also it's bonuses not bonii.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sampatrick posted:

This but also it's bonuses not bonii.

If you're going to be pedantic you'd call them bonum and bona for singular and plural respectively.
It doesn't actually matter as long as people know what you're talking about

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rynoto posted:

If you're going to be pedantic you'd call them bonum and bona for singular and plural respectively.
It doesn't actually matter as long as people know what you're talking about

Except that English is not Latin
I know it's pedantic but also it causes my entire existence to tilt off the face of the earth

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

Except that English is not Latin
I know it's pedantic but also it causes my entire existence to tilt off the face of the earth

I'll just stick to bonüsen and occasionally bonus-tachi :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bonusii

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bonii Extraordinarii

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Victoria, Victorii

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

it's bonus/boneese, just like octopus/octopeese.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

StarMinstrel posted:

Victoria, Victorii

Victoriae

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Red Bones posted:

it's bonus/boneese, just like octopus/octopeese.

It's bonus/bonodes, just like octopus/octopodes

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

YF-23 posted:

Bonusii

Bonsai desu ~~

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

It's bonus/bonodes, just like octopus/octopodes

Bonupodes, surely

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

What Sampatrick is trying to say is a badly translated "Perdidi meam facultatem sentire humanum."

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this conversation delenda est

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Someone on reddit just wrote up this analysis of how Victoria 2's markets actually work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/cdudtq/a_complete_understanding_of_victoria_2s_markets/

If I'm understanding this correctly, doing foreign investments within your sphere of influence will supercharge your economy because for every factory or railroad you build in a sphereling, more of their exports will be duplicated into the common market for you to buy

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Baconomics posted:

Someone on reddit just wrote up this analysis of how Victoria 2's markets actually work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/cdudtq/a_complete_understanding_of_victoria_2s_markets/

If I'm understanding this correctly, doing foreign investments within your sphere of influence will supercharge your economy because for every factory or railroad you build in a sphereling, more of their exports will be duplicated into the common market for you to buy

It's written out very weirdly, but I think it's actually the opposite. Foreign investments reduce the amount, so you can use foreign investments into countries in an opponent's sphere and starve the sphere master.

Edit:

Actually, I think I have that wrong.
It sounds like a sphered country uses as much of their own production as it can for its own needs. The remainder is lost.
Then, between 50% and 100% is duplicated to the sphere lord and other countries in the sphere, based on foreign investment. So if you invest in your sphere, that bonus goes up, but if other countries outside the sphere invest, the bonus goes down.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 17, 2019

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Something that never got mentioned here is the way the Tech and Innovation system works, I really liked that interaction, it's way more fun than EU4 tech levels.

And yeah Innovativeness in EU4 can be ignored, it does pretty much nothing and was just a bullet point to have an extra expansion feature. Like a lot of the DLC features it's just tacked on and poorly integrates with the rest of the game. So far I'd have to say HoI4 actually has the best DLC quality.

Of course Victoria 3 will have a better DLC system and will be the best game ever made.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Tahirovic posted:

So far I'd have to say HoI4 actually has the best DLC quality.

Until you can kidnap Hitler and cut his dick off this will not be true.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Often Abbreviated posted:

Until you can kidnap Hitler and cut his dick off this will not be true.

Satan would just regrow him a new one, though

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
In one of my first games in Vicky 2 i played as Brazil just to get the hang of stuff. Since I was gunning for joining the scramble, I tried to boost my industrial score by investing in factories in Bavaria. Turns out this backfired by turning Bavaria into an industrial powerhouse who ended up taking my place.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Baconomics posted:

I'm not sure if that's the takeaway, but more exports from spherelings wrecks your economy - the late game is half-defined by excessive supply and insufficient demand, not vice versa.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You saying I need to up the amount of opium my capitalists are buying?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
One economic problem is that a large end game war can cripple demand, because the soldier pops die. You can also ruin the economy by saving up a massive amount of cash and then spend it all on factories and railroads, massively increasing demand so nobody can afford any concrete anymore.

The game has so many fun ways to cripple yourself and everybody else.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Beamed posted:

I'm not sure if that's the takeaway, but more exports from spherelings wrecks your economy - the late game is half-defined by excessive supply and insufficient demand, not vice versa.

Hmm a crisis of overproduction you say 🤔

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Groogy posted:

You saying I need to up the amount of opium my capitalists are buying?

If that's your takeaway, let's make me a capitalist!

Anyway Victoria 2 is too mid-Paradox for me nowadays, so I'm drowning my sorrows in Anno 1800 and mid-game EU4.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Alley oop

If you’re not on Twitter the “timeline” is the vertical feed of posts.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Victoria 2 is 4th from the top; Victoria 4 confirmed?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Victoria 2 is 4th from the top; Victoria 4 confirmed?

and ... third from the bottom

victoria 3 and victoria 4 confirmed ???

:captainpop:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

and ... third from the bottom

victoria 3 and victoria 4 confirmed ???

:captainpop:
Victoria starts with a V, which is the roman numeral for 5, et cetera you can see where this is going.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wow VIctoria confirmed too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It must be a humbling experience for Johan; first to admit he was wrong about mana and now to admit he was wrong to deny us Vicky 3.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Can't believe they left out March of the Eagles and Victoria's Secret

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jeoh posted:

Can't believe they left out March of the Eagles and Victoria's Secret

Victoria's Secret exists in the same weird immortal timewarp that the Civilisation leaders do and is thus bound by no timeline

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Paradox has been working on making the most accurate economical simulation possible for Vicky 3 for ages. At one point a junior programmer approached Johan.

*swedishly* "herr Johan, you know how we've tasked ourselves with only releasing the most realistic system possible before we release the game?"
*swedishly* "yes, thank you for the exposition knut!"
"well, we've discovered a way to portray economical interactions at a 1/1 level..."

we've been playing vicky 3 since the day we were born. all of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

that explains my strange urges to build cement factories