Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

V for Vegas posted:

Victoria. All you need to conquer Africa are 6 guys and a machine gun.

Isn't that basically how the UK did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Same, I got HOI4 & Stellaris from Humble Bundle and that's my exposure to Paradox.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Imperator: Rome: Back in the SPQR is the only choice for me.

They leave the Gauls behind
And Genoa girls make me scream and shout
that Piedmont's always on my mind
Aw come on!

Yeah I'm back in the S.P.Q.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the S.P.Q.R.
Well Palermo girls really knock me out
They leave the Gauls behind

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

They'll extend this to late antiquity and you'll be able to do this at the tip of a sword, Inshallah

But Zulfiqar has two tips?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

...And I just realized that you'd have to choose to play as Ali or Abu Bakr, so maybe the idea of doing this without any controversy miiight be a no-go after all.

If only Muhammad had specified multiple times that Ali was his successor and that had been written down in some kind of holy book...

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Wow has someone told the Sunni about this

You'd think they could read it for themselves in that book, but I guess not. :shrug:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I not only never use the '39 start in Hoi4 but wish we had a '33 or '30 start option.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

It should be game over for the affected nations as they no longer have a functioning state but it would be neat if you were playing Brazil in a post WW3 world and had to compete with, say, India over controlling the vital surviving natural resources.

TBH even up through the mid 60s the US would have probably survived a nuclear war. The Soviet's nuclear capabilities were highly exaggerated before they started rolling out the ICBMs by the thousands.

Farnham's Freehold Mapgame when?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also the entire foreign policy focus tree for the soviets is loving useless beyond belief

Hey the prereq that gives some infrastructure's ok! But yeah gently caress that middle tree entirely.

How much of the purge tree is bypassed by just doing the civil war? And do you get to pick between Trotsky and Stalin when it fires?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

What's this "fascism is the best mechanically" narrative? I'm at a loss for what, if anything, fascism gets that communism doesn't. I play mostly as USSR and just like a fascism I can send volunteers regardless of world tension, can justify on whoever I please, etc etc.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Enjoy posted:

It wasn't paranoia, it was political infighting between different power bases in the government (Stalin's core vs the provincial peripheries) with the general populace caught in the crossfire

http://home.ku.edu.tr/~mbaker/cshs522/GettyMassRepressions.pdf

This was a good read, thank you for posting it. Only USSR could set off a mass repression by having a new constitution that gives people more rights + planning for an election.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Gort posted:

The Purges in HoI4 are optional, though they are optimal play bizarrely enough

Only kinda sorta. Rt56 at least lets you have Trotsky take over without a civil war.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Kyle Hyde posted:

I, for one, won't be satisfied until I can pay for a 6/6/6 ruler.

Ronald. 6. Wilson. 6. Reagan. 6.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Asimov posted:

Still waiting for the space 4x game that's better than MOO2.

I get my hopes up from time to time but then go back and play the old poo poo, and, well... masters of orion is basically a masterpiece and I still can't understand how so many attempts have failed to slightly improve it and make better game. Kickstarters, sequels, AAA studios and modders have tried but I still think the original formula works best. Probably because I'm getting old.

Space Empires 4. Be warned it's not MUCH more recent than MOO2 so infinite colony syndrome, basic tile graphics, and no resolution support for wide/large screens are all in full effect. The AI's not great at the game but makes up for it via a combo of cheating and being super aggressive. If only Space Empires 5 hadn't been lousy, we might've gotten a 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Snips posted:

I was thinking about how fun it is that each time a DLC comes round paradox games becomes buggy and sometimes completely unplayable for a month until they patch it, sounds like a great idea to charge people for that month too

You joke but I actually miss when MTG first game out and the base game's AI didn't understand how to run USA with the new demagogue advisers but not the MTG DLC with focus tree reasons to appoint either. End result? USA appoints fascist AND communist demagogues ASAP and by '43 could be anything. My fave was watching the CSA win the 2nd American Civil War, then turn Communist.