Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Does anyone ever actually play as the US in Vicky 2?
I like the US because of the insane assimilation and immigrant attraction bonus they get, so I play them every so often.. and then the absolutely ridiculous amount of pop-up spam happens and I get frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Groogy posted:

The old system was really crap though, the only charm of it was that you could create new trade centers. It's interaction was also pretty much the original eu4 cardinal system if you remember that. Oh anyone remember when it wasn't automated and you had to actually constantly mash in the merchants on every single trade center manually. Oh yes it was sooo good and dynamic, besides the fact that it wasn't.

Small countries making obscene amounts of money on trade because they have literally nothing else to do..

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It really is an interesting read, I was hoping more people would check it out instead of throwing up strawmen about how we're trying to compare Stellaris to EU4 4 years into its development. My favorite part was how the Soviet theater organically ended up getting suspicious as gently caress of the Allies

Star Ruler 2 has a ship builder and combat system that blows Stellaris the gently caress out of the water, among other things, so it's so sad that gets almost no love in these times of turmoil

I loving hate Star Ruler 2's ship builder, to be honest. Can't even really use downloaded designs either since they're either end-game or there's such a specific tech window where they'd be good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cheen posted:

I was reading somewhere that making air wings with 100 is ideal for the ace mechanics

Fighter bonuses get buffed if you use them in a less-than-100 wing anyway, and having 100 CAS in a group means that most of the time most of those planes will be sitting and doing nothing, since if say, 50 of those planes are supporting a battle, the other 50 cannot split off and join another battle. I usually make CAS wings of 30 for this reason, but it's pretty tedious!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is there no way to select/reassign multiple drones at once?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The game is pretty good, but it feels like they really did not put any thought whatsoever into logistics. Shuttles basically seem to work completely randomly, and colonists won't visit services outside of their dome.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope they've been working on getting a more dynamic trade route system inplace for EU5.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beamed posted:

If the consensus is going to be "this game needs a lot of work after release, just like Stellaris does", and Stellaris has been out for what, 2 and a half years now and is still a WIP, that doesn't bode well for a game's long term future.

That said, the game hasn't been released, so I know we're just pissing in the wind with lack of other news to discuss :v:

To be fair, Stellaris is still a WIP because the original designer left and Wiz has vastly different ideas about how the game should be. I don't think Johan leaving to direct something else is very likely, at least immediately.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beamed posted:

If the original designer had stayed on, would Stellaris be a better game, you're saying?

I mean, "better" is subjective, but I do think the game would feel more "complete" without Wiz and the development team having to rebuild fundamental aspects of the game.

Which is not to say either are better or worse outcomes - I vastly prefer Stellaris now, probably more than I would if Rikard had stayed on as game director and just expanded on the concepts that existed in the base game without needing to rebuild too much.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I half wonder if the addition of estates to the base game is a step one of that process.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

What was the chechnya chapter that the blog post refers to

Basically Vampires are behind the ongoing(?) pogrom of LGBT people in Chechnya.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wiz is moving on to an undisclosed project at Paradox. I'm assuming this means he gets a chance to make a new game instead of fixing an existing one. I'm eager to see what a Paradox game designed by Wiz from the start looks like.

Chris King is probably Game Director on Vicky 3, so I'm gonna guess it's not that. Could it be Paradox's WoD project?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

problem with ck3 is how do you really justify it

eu3 to 4 was a big jump, but just "yea you can do other, non-feudal stuff now!" isn't really a big carrot on the stick.

If they went full ham with the RPG aspect I could see it, but then you have one big hell game that I'm not sure where you'd even begin with.

Just make The Guild 3 but actually good this time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Aw crap, is it bad?

They had to completely switch developers because the ones that made the Early Access didn't know what the gently caress they were doing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HOI4 was pretty bad on release but that's probably because of how ambitious it was.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is it as micro-management focused? That was what really put me off Frostpunk.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WIZ

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

lol they didn't secure the name

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I still hope it's possible for a Great War to break out towards the end of the game, though. Doesn't feel right to reach endgame without a War to End All Wars, especially if the game lets you build complex networks of alliances that end with you declaring war on yourself.

It sounds like they've brought over the Crisis system from Vicky 2 so undoubtedly a great war will break out over some tiny stretch of land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cultures having heritage and linguistic traits will make immigration really cool.