Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Koramei posted:

Total War is still great. I definitely don't value the campaign maps in it as much as I used to before I got into Paradox games, but they still fill different niches and that's never gonna change.

Civilization on the other hand is basically dead to me now.

Goddamn seriously. I'm really curious what the hell happened to Firaxis. Civ V wasn't bad per se, but it feels like they've been on a slowly accelerating downhill run following IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Apres Moi's focus trees are generic with small tailored additions to the majors, and some variants (leftist tags and the chinese ones get their own generic trees, for example). It's flexible, works well, and still makes nations feel like they have their own identity. Kaiserreich's approach is madness by comparison.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

vicky is the paradox series that leans most towards simulation, focuses would be dumb as hell

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

catlord posted:

In a hypothetical Victoria 3, do you think accepted languages would be a worthwhile addition? I was thinking about those events people posted about "signs in Yankee vs Dixie," and how you would deal with that, and I thought about pops having a language attached to them, but that also seems like it could easily just be bloat rather than be something interesting.

Attempts to standardize dialect and language were a pretty big feature of the era, it'd be worth tracking imo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ofaloaf posted:

The best part about making the RNW tiles was that there were no colormaps or normal height maps to worry about. That's all game-generated. When I found out those weren't necessary I wept with joy.

When the North American map was first made for AtE it was just cropped and resized NASA Blue Marble images and that was it. Shadeoses rendered the normal map based off the topography map, iirc, so I never had to fuss with that stuff much there either.

Just out of curiosity, are you still involved in AtE in some degree?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stellaris is good now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Agean90 posted:

imo they should remove india or failing that make it more fleshed out instead of just "european feudalism, but with more religions"

Medieval india actually fits ck2's feudalism mechanics much more than, say, the Islamic empires, Byzantium, nomads, etc. I think when you get down to it most people jist don't know anything about the period and that makes it feel bland

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria is a better paradox game than most current paradox game because it was probably the last to use the old "expansion pack" mindset of addons rather than the modular DLC approach. Paradox's current DLC approach is much lauded and successful, but it results in these very disjointed systems that get bolted on with their own mana and bonuses and screen but don't feel fully integrated with the base game let alone previous and future DLC.

I think their DLC approach is good for a lot of things, but in the name of cohesive design I wish they weren't scared of having big proper expansion packs you need to get.

I think this is more of a problem for EUIV, and to a lesser extent CK2. Both Apocalypse and Waking the Tiger, with their respective patches, felt like major and thought out "xpac" level additions, at least imo. CK2 is in a good place, and it seems like the current dev team has a reasonable agenda of cleaning things up while they sunset the game. EU on the other hand... it's not like it's a bad game, and in many ways it still feels the most finished out of the Paradox stable, but, as many have already said, it has a metric dickload of random mechanics cluttering it up.

To give credit where credit is due, the EU team has done a really good job of fleshing out the map and tags tho. Cradle and Britannia were both great in that respect

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's obviously going to be a game set in early 60s Africa where you play as a newly independent state and must deal with internal struggles as well as external problems of neo-colonialism, CIA backed coups, and the French being assholes.

The Paradox Forums will love it.

Sankara: 1945-2035 would own

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

lol I forgot about the anarcho-lib menace

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Koramei posted:

I think it looks good but I kinda see what you guys mean. The big thing I'm not a fan of is Carthage being green, what the gently caress.

Honestly I'm tired of off-white carthage, scarlet rome, green gauls. Praise be to new colors

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Crazycryodude posted:

Based off the super limited info we have, it looks pretty much like a reskin for EU4. Which, cool I guess, but it's not exactly the most exciting thing I've seen. As we get more info I'll probably warm up to it, but right now I'm just kinda :shrug:

It doesnt look like euiv at all apart from being a map game

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Narrator posted:

I was thinking about the EU: Rome model, but now that I'm reading back on it, it did go into further depth with characters than I thought it did, and you're right that the CK2 adventurer system would be perfect. The only gap I can think of is that in Imperator you're playing as an EU4-style "spirit of the nation" guiding things along, whereas in CK2 you're a specific person, and adventurers in CK2 are characters without land or other responsibilities, aren't they (it's been a while)?. So suddenly temporarily losing a big army because their general decided he was going to take a jaunt to Gaul could be frustrating, if indeed historically accurate.

ye but so's getting stack wiped because you didn't pay enough attention to your opponent's idea picks. Setbacks aren't bad, they just need to be communicated clearly in advance

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

y'all are crazy, stellaris has been getting better with every patch

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Baronjutter posted:

It's been a real 5 steps forward 3 steps back 1 step sideways sort of thing with each update though. We payin' to try to bolt a good game on top of a bad game but it'll never be really great because the foundation is so hosed.

I mean I use to think that too, but wiz is pretty ruthlessly tearing those foundations down and building anew. Rest in piss tiles. As an actual 4x it's much more tightly paced, and when diplo is finally implemented it might actually be a Very Good Game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ExtraNoise posted:

I enjoy Roman history but know next to nothing about the details. Are there any good books to read on the subject that aren't college textbooks? (Or maybe ones that are?)

Your best bet is Mary Beard's SPQR. She's a great writer and it's on the academic cutting edge. Adrian Goldsworthy is good, but he can get a little crankish on some things. His history of Rome's decline is still probably the best chronological history of the late empire. But yeah, i would say Beard first

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

imperator might be the game that finally unleashes my inner pedant paradox forums-goer. "Citizen" being distinguished from plebs is gonna make me burst a blood vessel

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

What issues do people actually have with monarch points, anyway? You need some kind of way of limiting the player's ability to take actions and make them wait until they can do stuff again, and monarch points fill that need well.

imo there are two somewhat reasonable complaints regarding monarch points. One is that leaving it up to rng to determine your mp income can be an obnoxious pain, but I think that's sufficiently mitigated by letting you abdicate/disinherit/hire advisors/set point focus. Historically it's not unreasonable to say that the aptitude of the state's chief executive (ie, the monarch) was one of the most important determinants of success and failure, and it helps vary the pace of a very long campaign.

the other complaint, I guess, is that there are just too many instances where you use monarch points, and that it can be kind of lazy mechanically or just bland. Sometimes the game might actually be better served by being willing to dip its toe into a more simulationist framework. I'm more sympathetic to this angle. MEIOU's estate and development mechanics, for instance, are awkward and jury-rigged because of how much they're trying to do, but I actually think they are genuinely more interesting and more flavorful than vanilla and if they had paradox's dev polish I'd prefer it in a heartbeat

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea cuz stellaris is the pinnacle of game design here

...do you know the history of his involvement in stellaris?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Stellaris is trash hth.

like, that was not a post about the quality of stellaris, like, you seem like kind of a retard?? i dunno, hth

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mantis42 posted:

CK2 runs faster now than it ever did. They've really optimized it in the past year.

Yeah it owns. performance updates are the best thing

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ExtraNoise posted:

Was really excited when I saw a whole new page of posts in this thread. Thought that maybe we were talking about the lastest I:R dev diary or something.

Well if you want a break from the current topic, here's some progress on my north america post-apoc mod:

(Dont mind the pale red areas, those are reminders to finish a thing.)

Almost have the Mississippi river basin completed. Still need to finish the Wabash and Missouri river systems to complete it.

Tiny twisty rivers are a real pain in the rear end to draw. I hope someone plays the mod one day and takes a moment to appreciate that.

I can appreciate it now, and your map makes me hard

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Crowsbeak posted:

Wish they would make a expansion for HOI4 that was alternate history.

Next update will let you decide the paths countries take, so that should help

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is millenium dawn at all worth playing yet? It used to be pretty loving dull

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The UI is looking gently caress ugly, but I assume there's still a lot of cleaning up to do, and modders will polish it up anyway.

I'm not gonna lie though, I'm less sanguine about the representations of class and party politics so far. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in how any of this stuff actually like... behaved historically? At least I don't see how you get things like the Conflict of the Orders, the back and forth struggle between Optimates and Populares, Roman vs Pan-Italian citizenship and the Social War, agrarian reform and the latifundia, etc. Admittedly I'm pretty :spergin: about this setting, it's basically my Paradox weak point

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Prav posted:

i don't think they, like, set the color scheme to beige on tan by mistake

I mean more for the icons and stuff. The hideous beige is gonna be a day 1 mod fix

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RabidWeasel posted:

They're not making a fun new game with enhanced grognardry for Rome fanatics, they're making a sequel to their previous flawed-but-fun Rome game which will almost certainly retain much of the core game mechanics and will put "is actually vaguely historical" near the bottom of the priority pile because Johan.

I think the idea that historicity and gameplay are somehow opposite poles on a spectrum is just dumb as hell. I don't actually desire that Imperator have an excruciatingly detailed (or even Vicky level, for that matter) internal socio-economic internal simulation, but my big issue is that the system as it's been detailed so far doesn't really describe any civilization of this time period, whether that be Roman, Persian, Hellenistic, or whatever, at which point why bother?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

Anyway, I really want to play as Epirus and basically strange Rome in its crib before it even gets going. Also put heavy roleplay restrictions on myself for the entire run, only really go on war sprees if I get an appropriate ruler or the society changes in such a way as to justify that, and when I do go to war mostly subjugate and demand tribute rather than do outright conquest (unless I get some ruler who thinks he's Alexander come again), and in Italy mostly just ally and guarantee the Greek city states, with maybe establishing direct control if it should prove necessary or possible. It's going to be a world without Rome, and no replacement Rome either. Carthage might get to live, but I will attempt to protect the Greek states in Italy and Sicily against them. Then I am going to spend weeks of my precious time on Earth to transition the end state of the campaign to CK2 and continue playing that.

:thunk:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Goddrat that topo map gets me hot and bothered

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's like one guy on the workshop churning out these really well done society mods that are default compatible with pretty much everything (including big overhauls like After the End and CK+), I recommend checking those out if people want more variety. Orders of Chivalry and the Great Trade League are the names of two.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spiderfist Island posted:

I’m interested in seeing what kinds of total conversion mods people come up with for Imperator: Rome. At the top of my wishlist is to find one set in the ASoIaF/Game of Thrones universe that focuses on the Free Cities and Essos just after Dragon Atlantis-Rome exploded, but since I don’t know much about the world and the actual fans and books focus on Feudal politics in a much more detailed Westeros centuries later, I don’t know if that would ever be made.

Come to think of it, there aren’t that many fantasy settings that are Hellenistic in their themes or governments aside from Sword and Sorcery pulp stories and some of the D&D settings inspired by them like Dark Sun.

The setting for King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages is Glorantha, which is a strange medley of anthropology, the Bronze Age, and weird takes on classic DnD tropes. Map painting as the Lunar Empire would be pretty fun. "We Are All Us *clicks 'promote culture' widget*"

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

y'all are crazy lol imperator is looking tight

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think thats more about the enlightenment being half baked in eu, and the fact that you've generally blobbed out of control by then

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

P sure they have said explicitly imperator will never be extended into the principate era

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yeah i dont get the appeal. Late antiquity, on the other hand, would kick rear end

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just nerf the byzantines, de-jure greece has always been worth way too much in levies and tax.

Although tbf with holy fury's imperial government mechanics the empire does an excellent job of slowly killing itself with internal power struggles

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

At least 50% of the complaining and suggestions in paradox threads is from people with thousands of hours of playtime who mistake their own boredom for systemic flaws. This is not to say they are perfect games, obviously, but when you're seriously arguing for the total abstraction of warfare you might be better off sinking time into rad city builders like anno and banished, or proc gen sims like rimworld ir dwarf fortress, or supply chainers like factorio

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i would much rather devs try to fix colonisation being wildly ahistorical and wildly tedious than anything else in eu

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Imperator's latest dev diary seems pertinent to this thread's army automation kerfluffle

here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

AnEdgelord posted:

I feel like I'm the only strategy player not hyped for Imperator

...but as is I'm just not terribly interested in the Punic wars or Caesar seizing power.

Okay well it sounds like you probably should not play this game