Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
White Wolf!? But Paradox was supposed to buy the rights to Glorantha and make Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'd say EU4 as well. EU4 you can probably just hop in and play and do okay, even if you don't understand the menus... with the problem that if you start looking at the menus you may be overwhelmed.

That applies to CK2 as well, but to have even basic success in CK2 you need to come to grips with understanding how to efficiently suck up to your vassals. You realm WILL implode with a faction or rebellion or due to dumb succession laws if you don't know what to look out for. Sometimes you can think you're doing fine and then suddenly 3/4ths of your country is independent and out for blood. However, once you know the mechanics CK2 almost becomes a flowchart that you only deviate from for fun's sake, because aside from some luck based starts you can very easily blob on any half-decent country sooner or later.

I think it's in this weird place where overall EU4 is a bit more complext, while it's harder to get over that initial hurdle in CK2. CK2 kinda has a difficulty cliff that plateaus really quickly, while there's always a few more mechanics that you can abuse in your next run that you had no trouble ignoring in your previous run in EU4.

Which isn't to say there aren't landmines in EU4 that can cause a new player to implode spectacularly, just that things like aggressive expansion and manpower are a little more straightforward than figuring out how to placate your ambitious nephew whom you gave a duchy. It's harder to subtly kill yourself in a way that only becomes apparent in 10 years.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 2, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The Sharmat posted:

Being stalled is a failure state

This discussion is a failure state.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

What will be the worst mod made for HoI-4?

"Historically Accurate Germany" (The mod thumbnail will be a swastika)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Actually, the worst best mod will be my Border Gore mod which makes all countries have wacky fun borders!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groogy posted:

We tell a scripter "We are making this" then the scripter looks poo poo up on Wikipedia, sometimes he googles it to find other sources and very rarely read a book.
The more obscure some historical detail in the game is, the more probable it is that it was made by some beta that asked us to add it so we added it after he had already done all the heavy work.
Disclaimer: I am bastardizing this a lot, it is not as laid back as I've made it sound but it is not as fancy as people expect.

I am always surprised by people thinking we have this, why would we? We already have a whole forum that kinda acts like it for us. We all have interest in history but we do not have anyone with the professional title of "Historian". Whoever gets the task of creating the content whatever form it is (art, scripting, design) has the responsibility of researching it and implementing it. Nothing fancy.

I like the perspective of "gently caress hiring historians when a bunch of obsessed internet randos will happily complain about our factual accuracy for free."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

This is really disappointing, tile-grid planets are one of the things I hate the most about space 4X games, right alongside overcomplicated ship builders. I figure if you're going to do planet buildings either go full-on minimal effort and give it the EU4 system, or go whole hog and make each planet its own mini strategic map. These grid compromises always end up being busywork optimization problems. You can't ignore it because there's a "right answer" and it needs to be done, but the work always just ends up mind numbing.

I like the system Star Ruler 2 had, where having a planet import certain resources exerted "pressure" on that planet, which caused the population to automatically build building to fulfill its pressures. You could build things on your own if you wanted, but it was really expensive. The pressure system was maybe a bit too complicated (or at least I never fully figured it out), but in principle I feel like it was a reasonable compromise where the player had input without micromanagement. But it also doesn't translate well to other games because Star Ruler 2 is like 98% importing resources to the correct planets.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Demiurge4 posted:

I personally thought Star Ruler was over simplified and pretty boring, it was basically the tile system with planets anyway since you were chaining modifiers. Tiles generally suck (see Galciv) and Stellaris's system doesn't look much better but we are aware that the game is supposed to open up in phases and it could be the tile system is simply a part of the early game to give the player something to do and is discarded for another system later.

I liked the idea in principle more than in execution, admittedly.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Pimpmust posted:

Maybe a later DLC will have a civil war system adopted for the bigger contries so we can have multi-faction affairs (or in the US/USSR cases: Multi-state, member states trying to break away etc).

It would also be interesting if there were cross-national rebellions that could happen across country lines. Like if a chunk of the northern US and Canada declared it was its own state and not part of either country.

It would probably be too hard to manage as a fun game mechanic, though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Earth Has 4 Days In Same 24 Hrs., 1 Day God Was Wrong.

Or something like that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What if your planet is Gallifrey?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
E: rogue planets still orbit :downs:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PittTheElder posted:

Distant Worlds is top notch, definitely try it out. You do have to watch some YouTube LPs though, because there is a lot going on. But if you can figure out a game like EU4, you can figure out Distant Worlds.

Are there any good Youtube LPs you'd recommend? I saw Quill play it on a stream ages ago, but he wasn't all that experienced at the game. Right now I'm checking out the LP Archive one by Grey Hunter mentioned above, but it's an SSLP which abstracts some of the things that happen for brevity.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groogy posted:

Genocide is Paradox number 1 solution to most problems.
For instance performance problems in Ck2? Ramp up the plagues.

Hmm... so that's why my secretary died when she opened that letter from Paradox "to our fans"...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Panzeh posted:

I have similar opinions about DW- all the stuff under the hood doesn't come out to much. There are a zillion resources but an hour into the game you can get anything you need so there's really no point in having a zillion resources. I like Star Ruler 2- but that game has ship design and I don't care for that aspect of space 4x games. I'm reallly sick of designing ships and the terrible things that come with that decision(Hi GalCiv3).

I'm garbage at Star Ruler, but a lot of people in the thread for it suggested that after getting new military tech they mostly just hit "random" to generate a random design until they get something reasonable looking. Apparently it's not that noticeably worse than spending however long designing your own thing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I've watched a few videos on Distant Worlds. It actually looks pretty cool, but the complexity and UI also just makes me wonder if the game is going to open my space inventory.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groogy posted:

Also to think of the CK2 automation is an actual gameplay element which you interact with and influence and have to "fight" to make it do what you want. It isn't supposed to be a fire-forget solution.

This is a good point when I think about it, but it can be kind of "fire and forget" since after you "get" the game, the vassal system becomes pretty flowcharty (provided you're not RPing, obviously). Granted it does spice up a bit if you're playing Muslims or Hordes and such with extra territory considerations beyond "don't put your ambitious brother in charge of your empire's most powerful kingdom, you fool!"

E: vvvvv Sounds like it's working as intended to me!

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 27, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Westminster System posted:

It's Focuses or Foci, actually.

Focupodes

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

As a counterpoint to my negative reaction on tile-based planet building, this is really exciting. Though I do wonder if there are going to be "game-changing" techs like Death Star shenanigans. If it's in the tech tree, you can rush it, but it'd probably feel more "unfair" if another player just randomly drew the Death Star in the late game and you're running a never-ending stream of 2% better missiles.

(I literally just blew up a galaxy in Star Ruler 2 a few minutes ago so it's on my mind)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groogy posted:

Sorry but we decided we actually want to make Hitler a challenge if you decide to fight him :colbert:
I know horrible decision.

Okay, but at least make Hitler AI take really dumb event decisions to send entire divisons to go find Shambhala and other occult nonsense.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm kind of sad that I have to use ground troops to clear filthy xenos instead of just slagging the planet and turning it into a moon colony pretty much. But whatever, it would probably be really unbalanced if some rear end in a top hat could just send a large scouting fleet around to glass all the habitable worlds that are too far to colonize just to deny them to everyone else.

Maybe with that empire's permission...

"Hello, new friends! We, the Molten Slag Death Fleet would like to offer you terraforming services for your colonies. For a reasonable price, of course!"
<later>
"To be fair, we didn't specify the exact nature of our terraforming services."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I hope there's an event where you can uplift a race of super soldiers to fight a war and have them rebel on you after the war is over because they're bored.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If my infiltration is going poorly, can I redirect a comet so their feeble primitive governments lose stability?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't wait until I get an epidemic because I've made the animal equivalent of a monoculture.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have a feeling some of this is DLC material. I can see them doing a lot with uplifted civs in a Conquest of Paradise-like DLC.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mans posted:

you think doctors without borders fight in wars for profit?

In the Metal Gear games MSF = Militaires Sans Frontières which is a private military corporation/merc group. The name is, indeed, a play on the real MSF.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The thing I'm not liking about the ship designer is that from what I understand there are a few sections you can choose from, and then a boatload of things you can equip on those sections. I think it would be sufficient to just scale back to section choices without the slots. I'm coming around to the opinion that, largely, less is more when it comes to game choices. With 3-5 different choices for each section (let's say) -- or maybe 3-5 sections per hull size increment or whatever -- they can really ensure the different choices are more distinct and meaningful like idea groups in EU4. The current system seems like it has the same problem as MMO/ARPG "talent trees" other ship builders, niche skills in ARPGs etc, which have started disappearing from games for IMO good reasons. The systems that replace them, while less complex on the surface, are easier for both designers and players to keep in their head and thus ensure each one has a meaningful place and thus offer more real choice. Otherwise you just end up with dead end "trap builds" and tedium.

Obviously I haven't played with this system, so for all I know it could be brilliant, but I agree that the presence of an AI builder tool makes this more suspect.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to introduce a friend to CK2 or EU4 in multi sometime soon. I know EU4 a bit better, so I can handle that, but is (original starting date) Ireland still a good "starting area" in CK2? I think they changed it a bit? I was thinking either doing that, or making him a vassal under me in a larger nation so he can kind of sandbox and I can intervene to protect him if things start going south.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is there an issue loading CK2 if your most recent save is from an old incompatible patch or something? Because the last time I played was a long, long time ago and I couldn't get the game to the menu (it crashed on "loading graphics") until I deleted by entire ParadoxGames\Crusader Kings 2 folder.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

GrossMurpel posted:

Wait so if your ruler lives to 50, he has a 100% chance of dying? That's below the average life expecency of rulers, how is that immortal?

I think Groogy means raises their levy. "On the saddle" as in "on their warhorse".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have to admit, I'm actually really bummed at losing other FTL methods. However, I think that's because of what I wish the game was more than what it's trying to be. I wish we had a game that was maybe a bit more... simulationist isn't the right word, but closer to those lines than an event driven 4X. SimCity + Vicky II (+ inspirations from other things) in space where the FTL methods help set different races apart. But as it is (or was at release) the game needed to pick something like hyperlanes to really get the systems and gameplay style it decided to use working properly.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Radio Free Kobold posted:

its literally just EU4 monarch points

Um excuse me I believe you'll see there are 4 values here not 3 like in that peasant game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Charlz Guybon posted:

Licensed Turtledove expansion. Everyone forced to drop their ideological conflicts to fight monarchical space lizards with 1970s weapons.

Modern era Paradox game that becomes a stealth X-Com sequel 10 years in.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SlothfulCobra posted:

Paradox games tend to skimp on internal politics, since the player can't exactly be "part" of internal politics, because the player isn't a person, or a faction, or an ideology, the player is some kind of nebulous brain parasite hivemind taking control of leading statesmen and commanders. There's never been playable sub-state entities.

Either they're stating that an attack on the plutocracy is an attack on the functioning of the state itself (since that's how what democracies of that time developed into), or they're stating that populism only arises in times of crisis and disappears once the crises resolve, and isn't viable long-term. Either way, they're basically reskinned malcontents. I doubt that there'll be much modeling of a greater populace to either suffer or thrive outside of manpower or revolt chances. Although there's probably a lot of potential to do interesting things with revolts.

You could probably get a pretty good media analysis out of Paradox games (with ancillary examples from things like Civ) about how games like that are naturally sort of opinionated (and often, after enough balance patches, unintentionally so) about what sort of ideology can work in a state just via sheer modifiers and numbers. In addition, the very obvious notion that since you play a state it naturally creates an opposition with things like anarchism.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, in EU4 and HOI4 or whatever it's not a loss condition (or territory change) for your nation to lose its ruler or change its government type or dynasty or whatever. You're the "spirit of France", and except for your ruler's stats or your cabinet's bonuses or whatever their rule doesn't matter, hence why, say, communist Germany is possible in HOI4. CK2 is much different because a change in administration for a kingdom directly means a change in the land you control since you follow very specifically a single person and a single lineage down the line of succession.

Basically, CK2: I'm only France as long as my ruler Louis remains the King of Francia
EU4/HOI4: I'm only Louis as long as my nation France has a ruler named Louis.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook