Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Larry Parrish said something stupid? Must be a day ending with y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I say let the stupid players be stupid because they will buy your game anyway rather than punish people that aren't stupid by taking away options they may want to use for some crazy gimmick game or mod or something.

Then leave in the capacity for it to be modded in. I really hate this notion that more options is always, always better, because the inevitable result is always sloppy games that bear no relation when actually played to the game as it was designed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Why the gently caress was "secret" even a prefix?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I like the character system, it sounds fairly similar to how Endless Space/Legend allowed your heroes to be either be military leaders or governors (probably done in some 4x's before then but those were the first that came to mind).

Total War has done that at least since Medieval 2.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

The galaxy will tremble before my army of billions of cloned hitlers.

Endless Space beat you to it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Actually I think it's sufficient in and of itself. Paradox games don't have endings, they have 'the clock ran out, here is your arbitrary score', and this works for every game... except HOI.

HOI has always felt like it needed a bit more of a 'this is what the post-war world looks like' moment in order to contextualise your victory (or loss) and how well you did objectively and comparatively with your co-belligerents.

I think some kind of epilogue slideshow would be ridiculously cool in theory, but probably insanely hard to make it work as anything more than a very shallow "Then there was a Cold War between WINNER FACTION 1 and WINNER FACTION 2".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

You're not but failure and disappointment are actually vital to a game experience.

This is objectively wrong.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

It's not a game if you can't lose.

Your definition of game is a useless one.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Drone posted:

Where's the fun in a game where there isn't the danger of losing?

I'm not saying that losing is bad, I'm saying that it is not needed for a game to be a game. You can't "lose" Myst.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

zedprime posted:

A game literally needs losing to be a game,

It literally doesn't, but for argument's sake, let's say that it does. What does policing the definition of "game" actually achieve? It is inevitably a bludgeon being wielded by people who want to enforce their video game preferences as the only legitimate ones. "A game without losing isn't really a game" is perhaps a statement of interest to, say, developmental psychologists studying the animal origins of play, but in the field of video game design it's a worthless statement, which can only ever serve to stifle creativity.

Pharnakes says "I find it frustrating when a game says "hey, maybe a cool thing!" and then says "actually no, nothing at all!"

The Sharmat says "You're not allowed to! If there's no chance at failure, then it isn't a game!" conveniently ignoring, for example, random events in the very games this thread exists to discuss. Plenty of Paradox game events have only positive outcomes. Does this mean they delegitimize these games? Make them lesser? Because that would seem to be the argument Sharmat is making.

This is why I said that Sharmat's definition of a game is a useless one. All it exists to do is tell developers there's certain things they aren't permitted to do, that there's certain things games aren't permitted to be. It's video game fundamentalism.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Yes, they are. To the extent that they have sworn never to license out their engine again I believe.

I mean, one one hand it's kind of a shame, since you can imagine that maybe eventually it would produce an interesting game PDox wouldn't make on their own time. On the other hand, licensing engines resulted in two projects that crashed and burned hard, and two completed projects that didn't sell worth a drat, so it's not like it's a loving mystery why they've decided that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Paradox is the only game dev in the world that would make less money if they sold season passes.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Stellaris tech system sounds very loving cool and elegant. Surprised nobody else thought of it first, and kinda wish I had. :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A White Guy posted:

The Mercator map is such an awful projection, please stop using it :gonk:, copycats and paradox designers.

Yes, that is clearly the thing most wrong with the images being shown :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Woe be unto the high school history student who thinks they just made the find of a lifetime.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

canepazzo posted:

New dev diary on primitive civs

Excerpt:

So your options are Federation, Greys, Vulcan or Reptilians. Every time I think my hype levels can't go any higher, I'm disproven.

Stellaris is shaping up to be the game Spore was supposed to be.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I hope that if you do aggressive observation or try to conquer the planet, a sufficiently advanced civilization might try to resist you, XCOM-style. I've always wanted to try seeing it from the other side! :swoon:

this:

quote:

Just so - outright conquest! As you can imagine, primitive civilizations have few means to resist a technologically advanced invader. Industrial and especially post-atomic civilizations can prove harder nuts to crack, but their weapons are still markedly inferior to those of a typical spacefaring culture.

Would seem to indicate that this is the case.

EDIT: And the event system would probably mean "invasion taking too long gives natives time to reverse engineer your tech and they uplift themselves to spacefaring civilization" wouldn't be too hard to put in, or even mod in.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

popewiles posted:

I'm sorry but it looked generic and terrible as hell. And I say that as a guy who quotes president Pullman's speech to this day. Goldblum was the only thing that got me to finish the trailer.

I got really excited when it looked like they were teasing that the alien ships had largely survived the crashes, with alien refugee cities springing up around them, but then it went in the inevitable direction of "The first movie again BUT MORESO!" Like, I couldn't even visually parse what I was looking at for half the trailer.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTaiWInZ44

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That loving panhandle :argh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

America consistently takes our best comedians and our worst musicians.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Any feature that prominently gives you an "Eh, let the computer figure it out" button is deeply suspect.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

That's needlessly fiddly, to me. Why can't I just have "Soldiers, Tanks, Planes, Ships"?

an aircraft carrier is basically the same thing as a submarine

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't know; I see a lot of stuff in Conclave that looks like it will prevent blobbing, or blobs from growing out of control, but not much to break up or diminish blobs which already exist.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

There is really no reason that your cultural buildings just vanish when your successor has a different culture. Especially considering that said cultural buildings are the most expensive and most time consuming structures to build in a castle.

Isn't the reason so you can't cheese things to get a whole bunch of different cultural bonuses by having each successive ruler be of a different culture?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a thought about Federations in Stellaris. The round robin system is serviceable but also kind of primitive and a lot of players will resent the loss of control during the time they aren't in the big chair. So what if you model federations on the Systems Alliance from Mass Effect? Superficially it's just humanity, but it actually represents the collective nations states of Earth and humanity as a whole but is separate and independent from any one nation. So if you take Federations and make them the Holy Roman Empire in space, except the Emperor is the pope and doesn't have any planets or colonies. Throw in a bit of parliament from EU4 and make the federation an independent AI entity whose behavior is based on laws that are voted on and implemented by its member states.

Most federations will apparently start off as a defensive reaction by smaller empires so that would influence the laws and policies of it's first iteration. You could limit this to the combined fleet (under permanent AI control) whose mandate is defending it's members core worlds. This means that if any member declares war on another state the Fed won't intervene, but it will defend your core worlds (not sectors) and use it's influence to push for a white peace if it's member loses too many battles. Over time reforms (HRE) expand the scope and control of the federation and the goal of the system would be to give the player interesting internal politics while giving up some foreign policy control.

This is very clearly going to be DLC at some point. The round-robin is an obvious stopgap so that they don't spend a load of effort coming up with federation presidency systems if federations aren't a huge part of the game at launch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm not entirely sure where MMO players went--MOBAs, maybe?

I think a lot of the die-off of MMOs has been due to the new generation of Post-Minecrafts attempting to pay off on the failed dreams of MMOs past. It turns out that the best solution to having in-game player housing and guild control and poo poo is to not have a bajillion players in your game, because 64 is usually good enough.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BillBear posted:

I think you'll need the ability to play opposing political parties

I have always wanted to play Walter Mondale Simulator, yes

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've never played HOI3, but my 15-year old cousin does, and he says he doesn't even touch the OOB because it's such a pain in the rear end. And this is a kid who figured out Dwarf Fortress without consulting the wiki.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So is PDS going to keep on trucking, simultaneously having teams working at producing content for four games simultaneously, or is CKII development going to be winding down soon?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I swear paradox is just trolling leftists at this point. I'm surprised there isn't a "cultural marxism" event that hits if your country is too respectful of foreign cultures and immigrants.

Have you seen this movie The Matrix? Hugely MRA, couldn't believe it!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is it a common thing for Europeans to have a slightly British element to their English speech? Because I noticed in a talk by Rami Ismail that even though he's Dutch, his accent sounded more British, and then I thought "well duh, Europeans would probably learn to speak British English... right?" Same as Canadians learn to speak Quebecois French. But I'd never definitely noticed it with anybody else, so maybe I'm completely mistaken?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There's two main schools of English teaching when it comes to accents; received pronunciation and yank newscaster, which I forget is called (It's the clear midwestern one that all the news anchors have).

GenAm (General American)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

This guy doesn't agree with me about playing a particular political map color = literally being a neofascist, and honestly its these kind of kuckservatives are ruining the forum. Catch me in the Let's Play forum where retarded people fawn over me and inflate my self-worth

Oh my god shut the gently caress up

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I just got EU: Rome on Steam, which program is the one I should start up, Gold Edition or Vae Victis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Trying to get into Endless Legend has revealed that what I really want is Stellaris, but for fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. I just find all the of the factions kinda less than interesting, and it's always them in every game. Stellaris definitely solved the "Oh hey it's the Drengin" problem, and it would be amazing to see that applied to a fantasy setting somehow.