Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, those EU4 screenshots. 1.13 really is like an entirely different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I remember playing Age of Empires, Red Alert, and Warcraft I/II back in the day, and being just terrible at it. I think there's just a grand understanding of the themes of strategy games you need to know to understand how to be good at them, and when you're young that doesn't exist. I think SMAC/X was the first game I figured out enough to be able to play on the top difficulty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Wait, how the gently caress was Germany supposed to win the war without an extremely unrestricted submarine campaign and why would that not pull the US in?

It probably would have helped if Zimmermann hadn't admitted that his telegram to Mexico was genuine. I mean there's just no loving way you should ever publicly admit to sending something that dumb.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

But what is a meter, really? And what, for that matter, is distance or time in a curved spacetime?

A meter is the distant traveled by light in a vacuum over an arbitrary time period. The time period is how long it takes a caesium atom to vibrate an arbitrary number of times.

All units of measurement are ultimately arbitrary. The point is to have them be independently reproduceable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is distant worlds worth buying on the steam sale? I saw that it was some dollars off the other day, and I love me some empire building games, but I am scared by all things Matrix gaming related...

Distant Worlds is top notch, definitely try it out. You do have to watch some YouTube LPs though, because there is a lot going on. But if you can figure out a game like EU4, you can figure out Distant Worlds.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 27, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

If you really want to write hard sci-fi then the whole idea of classifying organisms according to Earth norms is completely absurd. "Alien fungus" is an oxymoron, if it is alien it can't be a fungus. It might, at best, occupy a similar function as fungi do on Earth and look a little like Earth fungi, but it isn't a fungus and calling it one would be scientifically incorrect.

Assuming that the general shape of a species that evolved as endurance hunters in the African savanna is literally the best suited for any sentient species in any environment is similarly silly.

That's why you call it Xenofungus and move on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Manket posted:

"The peaceful path is the expensive option, even if I semantically refute that in the very next clause of my sentence."

This makes me wish there was a random AI option, where 1% of the time the galaxy was just extremely peaceful, and the other powers teamed up to annihilate the player the second they start wars or genocides or whatever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Was 4X really something people expected Spore to be? I remember more wishful thinking about Star Control 2

They sorta tried to sell that it would turn into that, but there's no reason that anyone should have believed that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Randarkman posted:

e: I've also wondered what culture I should make the new Tatar hordes, currently Kiev is Crimean and has some Crimean culture provinces in the south. Magyarstan is Hungarian culture and has namelist that mixes non-Christian Hungarian names with names from Crimea and the Golden Horde as well as names like "Attila" and such. Currently debating whether I should make them have a new culture in the Tatar group (what would it be called?) or have them stay Hungarian. They were all Mongol in CK2 (though that game doesn't have any events for making the Tatar or Turco-Mongol Central Asian cultures, so I take that as a mandate to split up cultures and use EU4 groups where it pleases me).

Use existing Ruthenian, at least for Kiev. Slip them all into the Ruthenian group, and it'll no doubt encourage a massive Horde-blob to form, which would be cool.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

I thought it was called fuhrermana :)

Funnily, internally we know refer to all resources as mana these days.. goldmana for money, etc

Does that mean... manmana?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dibujante posted:

In this case, longbows are actually out of character but they're still the only explanation for why England was able to hold onto its French holdings for so long.

It isn't really though. There's a lot of conflict within the French monarchy at the time, plus the whole Armagnac-Burgundian Civil War which has just wrapped up as EU4 opens. English archery was important, but the war goes far deeper than Crecy and Agincourt.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, there's no way they meant to bring it up this early. But development schedules mean that they would have to have been planning the next one before Cossacks even dropped.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Randarkman posted:

What do you mean here? North African pirates greatly threatened the Mediterranean coast from the 8th-11th century and then again from the 14th century down to the early 19th century. With the peak in that last period being in the 16th century (though the 8th-11th century were probably the most devastating as the Christian Mediterranean nations were unable to organize themselves at all to defend their coasts and many coastal regions were pretty much abandoned and Muslim pirate lords set up shop in the Alps, Italy, Sicily, Crete and the Balearic islands). And slaves did row galleys, just not war galleys as that was something that required alot of skill and dedication, forced labor at a galley oar was also a rather common punishment for crimes in Mediterranean nations. Most people captured as slaves were sold at the slave market in Tunis, where they found themselves all over the Islamic world, though alot of skilled sailors who were enslaved did end up becoming Corsair captains themselves (there were also a large number of Turks and Albanians among the corsair captains)

He's talking about Magna Mundi, an mod for EU3 that ended in a swarm of drama. Barbary Corsairs were a big mechanic there, but the effect of them, and pirates in general, was gigantic, well past the point of fun or plausibility.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Enjoy posted:

The latifundia were farms using slave labour across the empire, it wasn't just in Spain

The latifundia were one thing, but the intensive mining work, concentrated most notably in Spain, was its own special kind of horrific.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That wint guy has it backwards though, the AI is actually spending 4.081 on it's army. A very tiny amount.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Unless, hypothetically, the game is using Swedish notation...? (not recommended)

No, because the total wouldn't add up were that the case.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I can't wait to make this my flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQ-6mEbyu4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't see the thread before it was deleted, but I did see I had a forum notification.

It was a guy posting a reply to an EU3 AAR, last updated in 2011. The Audacity of Hope was a crazy game, but still. :psyduck:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

SMAC probe teams were fun.

Eh, not really. Between the AI's propensity to spam them randomly around the map, and their ability to mind control bases, requiring you to post garrison probes all over the place or build the Secret Project which rendered you completely immune (negating an entire faction's biggest weaknesses in one fell swoop), they were not very good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

After lots of trial and error I've managed to form Super Germany in Vicky 2 by June 10th 1845.

Unfortunately it lacks Schleswig because I forgot about it and just ended up sphering Denmark. I think I could do it quicker, the United Kingdom got itself tied up in a war with Russia and France for Western Canada and so they had a truce with them until 1844. I shouldn't have pussied out and just went to war with France immediately myself, I had no trouble taking them and Russia on with the very limited support the UK did give. Still, under 10 years to form fuckoff huge Germany is pretty good I think.

Missing Switzerland and Luxemburg. 6/10.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this would be interesting if it was done in the scope of larger things happening but you don't necessarily have a personal stake in them. Like the civil war from Skyrim but without the whole "you are the chosen one, dragonborn" aspect of the main plotline. So many RPGs force you into the hero role because you have to save the world or whatever - I think it would allow for more roleplaying options if the PC was just some guy and could choose how they feel about whatever the big crisis is for themselves.

Oh god this. Like you play a mercenary guy of some sort, both sides are good and bad in equal measure, some sort of civil war progresses around you, your allegiances can be fluid, and the NPCs are actually dangerous, meaning you can't just wander into the enemy HQ and kill everyone. I think for that sort of game it would be ideal to have your character be hypermobile by some conceit or another, meaning you can explore lots of places, but you won't be able to win fights with people, so you actually have to sneak and stay away from populated places.

Some of the most fun I ever had was playing Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition, where you have to walk everywhere (no fast travel), gun damage is cranked way up (so if somebody catches you off guard, you die), and also you're just some mechanic guy, so there's no plot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

yeah but i think he also implied he wanted the game to be good

I mean preferably, but it's not a hard requirement.

I'd have a stronger preference for it to be first person, and with no magic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still just upset at the setting used for F:NV. Having so much of the map be a huge empty desert was lovely. Much preferred F3s downtown, which felt downright claustrophobic at times.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

I disagree, having a lot of barren land made it feel so much more real than something like Skyrim where Those Bandits that have been hounding us for generations lived a stones throw away from the village, and where the huge trading hub for all of Skyrim has about 3 dudes and a cow in it. Post apocalyptic stuff works well for the limitations of not actually being able to put in half a million NPCs plus the desert felt appropriately wastelandy.

If anything I wish things were even more spread out.

Well yeah, F3 wasn't much better in that respect. Really almost nothing in the Fallout universe makes even a little bit of sense, most especially "it's been two hundred years, but this pre-war food is still here and also fine to eat". Pretty much every settlement in F3 defied any sort of explanation; NV did a little better I guess. One thing NV actually did really well was taking all the good mods and jamming them into a compatible package.

But I just didn't like the desert I guess. Too open, you can see too far.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Antti posted:

Thirty-one execution methods? :stare:

Including: Bear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

He's right, though he should really say Second Industrial Revolution. But yeah, those do look pretty good, interested to see if he can make an interesting game that does the same thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

On an only slightly related note, does anyone else think Paradox went too far in the other direction with how Westernization works? It seems like by the 17th century everyone and their mother is Westernized, especially in West Africa. It's better than the reverse problem of non-European powers just being minor roadblocks, but it does lead to everything feeling very samey. It's like they just can't find a happy medium even after four games. It would be more interesting and historically accurate if you start out in 1444 as a European nation struggling and getting your rear end kicked more often than not, while by 1821 you're steamrolling everything outside of Europe except for the handful of non-European powers (and not literally all of them) that managed to Westernize in the intervening period.

The EU4 dev team agrees. It just took them a while to think of a better system, but it drops this month alongside the new expansion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Or play China. Even with the nerfing of China by cutting it up into pieces, it's still really easy to become an unstoppable juggernaut by WW1 era.

I haven't played Vicky in years, but I remember PDM adding a China-explodes-into-warlord-cliques event that was crazy fun. You just play that and ignore the rest of the world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if Paradox has any dedicated cartographers on staff?

You don't have to look much past the relative position of the continents in EU4 to conclude that no, they do not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Note to Paradox: put the meridian through Florence, that way the map breaks across the Bering Strait and not any landmasses.

That would mean putting Denmark in the middle of the map. :nono:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Some Europa Engine/early Clausewitz Engine games had some truly hideous map projections, but honestly, Paradox's current map projections are basically fine. Some things are stretched out a little in EU4, but I don't find that to be a big deal. And I don't mind shifting the Americas north if there are valid gameplay reasons for it.

AFAIK the shifting is not really a gameplay reason, it's to make it fit into a smaller rectangular area so you need less map. It actually fucks up the game play (in a very limited way) in that colonial distances are weird as hell.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 6, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No penalty!

It's actually really dumb, they really need to do something to stop battles from lasting forever where one side keeps trickling in reinforcements and the other side can't (or just doesn't, because who knows how the AI decides such things); this isn't the age of Verdun. I'm actually not entirely sure why battles aren't just sped up to last like 5 days, tops.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

CK3 will be first-person perspective.

I'd for sure buy a better version of Kingdom Come.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, but it'll make you want the expansions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In Stellaris the AI will declare war on me with claims to a system, but then not actually attack anything. They just sit there and let the war exhaustion increase and refuse to make peace. My fleet is equivalent to theirs according to the dip screen. I assume they will make peace when war exhaustion maxes out but it's pretty weird.

There's a define somewhere that says not to conduct offensive operations with less than a 20% advantage in overall fleet strength. I see the same behavior if I crash build a bunch of ships when war breaks out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just watching the youtube clip show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7_MbWauBY

Gotta say I do not like the look of that vassal swarm. Combat looks just like the EU4 combat I'm so sick of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mostly how battles that take forever to resolve, allowing every army in the neighbourhood to pile in, and usually whoever gets an army in last wins. Then everyone and their dog hiring stacks of mercs.

To a lesser extent, how the AI runs tiny little armies around occupying random provinces. Which is at least less of an issue here, since minors won't be recruiting little 2k merc stacks.

e: I'm pretty stoked for whatever change in AI army behavior they're working on so that they don't all march their armies across the world to siege down some fort in Tibet. After that I hope they revisit how PU juniors behave, so it's not just a free ally that does whatever you want, so long as they're loyal. Folks should still have independent foreign policy. Give me Muscovite-Lithuanian Wars or bust.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 9, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Imperator: Rome - Veni

But actually:

quote:

Imperator: Rome - True Roman Thread For True Romans

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that like when the kaiser stole the word twenty?

:dudsmile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just want to know when the big AI revamp is coming. That's bound to be free; despite being the biggest value add in years (ever?) I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to leave the current state out there.