Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

I meant more that they keep getting claims on adjacent provinces that allow me to swiftly go to war and get them and I don't remember this being a thing the last time I played.

Vassals don't just get claims, the have to fabricate them just like you do. How likely they are to fabricate claims depends mainly on their ruler's personality. Sounds like you have gotten a lucky string of militarist vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

If that article is right and Paradox really had 500 million in sales this year, they could probably just flat out fund an Obsidian Vampire RPG, and not even bother with kickstarter.

500 million Swedish Kronor, or about 60 million US Dollars. That might be enough to fund a single AAA game if they felt like betting the company on it. Paradox have been doing pretty well lately, but they're not really up there with the big boys yet.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox clearly needs to include super-science in HoI4, now that they've included super-science (canals) in EU4. Atlantropa is a must.

Just as long as I can make Aircraft Carriers out of Pykrete.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Tellus supremacy or bust :colbert:

Tellusians, just rolls of the tongue!
Tellusedons? Tellusi? Tellans?

(Tellus never gets any love :negative:)

That's because the proper adjective of Tellus is Tellurian, and only in the cheesiest of cheesy space operas will a character voluntarily utter the line "Face the wrath of the Tellurian Empire!"

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In other news, it looks as though Paradox is indeed swimming in money as all of their major releases from 2016 (and some from earlier) all made Steam's top 100 sales list for 2016; Stellaris came in at 13th, EUIV at 29th and HoI 4 is 39th. Hell even Cities: Skylines came in at 33rd. I guess it helps that they compete in genres that don't have a lot of other options unless you're willing to drive into the grognard rabbit hole but here's hoping they keep up the good work.

Are you talking about this list or do you have a better one. The one I linked to only sorts games into four categories. If you reload it a couple of times you'll notice that the placement of games within each category is random, so while it tells us that EU4, HoI4, and Cities:Skyline are all among the Top 40 games of 2016 it doesn't give us any idea which of them sold the most.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 1, 2017

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Mordred Viking is also tolerable. Here's his Imperator playthrough as the Dwarfs Longbeards Langobards.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I suppose one way to model losing men to retirement rather than battle would be to make Maximum Manpower = Force Limit. So if a country could at most raise 20 000 troops and had a standing army of 10 regiments, that would give them an effective max manpower pool of 10 000 and halve their manpower gain since half the young men coming of age would be sent directly to the regiments to replace retiring soldiers.

I'm not sure this would be fun, and it would certainly require a rework of how manpower is calculated, but it's a way it could be done.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

But these things are a big part of the game. Someone wanting to know the game will probably want to try those.

I maintain tha Portugal is good cause you will be doing a bit of everything that makes EU4, but is not hard, nor it is too easy too

I think you are forgetting just how confusing EU4 is to a brand new player. What would actually happen if you tell someone that Portugal is a great first nation to learn the game with is:

• The Hundred Years War starts up again and France murders all their armies and raises their war exhaustion to 20
  • Burgundy joins the party and murders any armies they had rebuilt and again spikes the war exhaustion
  • Morocco notices Portugal is busy losing to rebels, and their only ally is having a War of the Roses and declares for Ceuta.
  • Morocco takes Ceuta and half of mainland Portugal in the peace.
  • Player quits in disgust and swears to never try a Paradox game again.

Even if you impress upon them the need to break the English alliance and replace it with a Castilian one they'll probably still try to expand into North Africa. That's what you do in strategy games, right? And not knowing the military system they'll lose all their manpower to high attrition and lose every battle to bad terrain. Final result won't differ much from the above.

If you further impress upon them that they should never start a war and only colonize, well that's honestly quite boring. Particularly as a new player playing Portugal. Played by someone who don't know how to work the economy Portugal probably won't have money for more than a single colony until nearly 1600.

In short, you should only tell someone to learn the game with Portugal if you want to convince them that Paradox makes horrible games only played by hardcore masochists.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 12, 2019

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Hellioning posted:

It feels really weird to have a stream on youtube for the CEO and CFO to go over their quarterly earnings report. That seems like something to be given at a board meeting not to everyone on YouTube.

It's very common to hold a conference call for financial analysts. Streaming it on Youtube is rather less common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

As I recall, Paradox Tectonic is the studio run by a former Linden Lab CEO. I hope they haven't been making Paradox Metaverse With Innovative Totally New Blockchain Technology™.