Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jsor posted:

White Wolf!? But Paradox was supposed to buy the rights to Glorantha and make Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass!

They stopped after realizing that the Orlanthi are not in fact, vikings.

Edit: Which reminds me, they should buy Holistic designs and make a new Hammer of the Gods game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

Oh gently caress the hell yes.

They're also the company that made Emperor of the Fading Suns and the Fading Suns RPG it was based on. :eng101:

Edit: Also, Merchant prince, a Venetian family simulator where you could build a villa and burn down your rival's for political game and had a moddable table of slanderous lies to accuse your opponents with.

They and Hammer of the gods share a wonderful map mechanic sadly found nowhere else, where You start out with a full world map, but this map is not accurate. So you'd see a city on it and explore where it is only to find a mountain or a forest or something and the city itself a few squares away. This got worse the further away from your starting point it was, so you might have entire continents written down that did not actually exist.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 30, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It worked really well in Hammer of the gods because castles were a very important thing. Groups of developed Saxon and Frankish settlements would spawn within range of a castle. When you won a battle against a town, you had to decide whether to raid it for a little loot, sack it for a massive amount of cash, or raze it to the ground and maybe repopulate it as a colony with your own troops. Now, raiding you did because it didn't use up all of your turn and if there was a castle in range at the end of your turn, they sent out troops to assault you. So inaccurate maps could lead to you sacking a town and being unable to run back to the longboat (which your troops could actually carry overland for higher movement costs) before about a dozen angry Frankish knights ran you down.

Edit: Or worse, wandering about in the forests of bumfuck nowhere and running right up to a top-level castle with no movement points left.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 30, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I keep saying that a Darklands in the Fading Suns universe would be the most glorious poo poo ever. I reckon Paradox are getting into RPG's with WoD since they've been wanting to do that since Runemaster.

Oddly enough, now that I think about it, Hammer of the Gods is basically runemaster if they made it in the civ 1 era.

Though, as far as strategy/tactics rpgs go it is much more towards the strategy bit.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I think that Darklands is the oldest game that I still play (unless you count Tetris derivatives) and I can't think of any other game that fits that niche. Even now it's a pretty drat fun and good game.

I thought age of decadence would do it, but while it has the right sort of atmosphere, it's a very linear experience, albeit a very good one.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
If fallen empires are as full featured as they seem to be, just based on pre-dev diary peripheral information, does this mean that this will be the first game in which you can make a full-galactic-scale 40k mod that can actually replicate all the insanity of the setting, instead of just being a reskin?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I hope everyone will temper their expectations on Stellaris. Especially considering it is obviously a dry run in the vein of Sengoku for Rome II with a procedurally-generated unexplored map.

Rome 2? I think you mean Rome 4(5,6): Rome'ing Space. :agesilaus:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Warhammer 40k mod seems more and more likely. If these mechanics can be tinkered with, along with tech development in general, it might be possible to simulate 40k's terrible tech stagnation except for incredibly advanced stuff that is just dug up situation. Plus, I can see the fallen empire state in general working for a lot of races in general, maybe even the Imperium depending on how exactly it plays.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think the most important question of all is: Will Stellaris allow for the storyline of star control 2 to unfold exactly as it did in that game?

Seriously though, star control mod.

Edit: I will be sad if there's no slave shielding for defeated enemies and even sadder if the only reason there isn't is because no one thought of it earlier on in production.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
My opinion on the topic is thus:

All races should be able to adopt the doctrine of Now and Forever. :colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Danann posted:

I guess it was too much to expect Rule the Waves in space with regards to the ship designer. Although I guess implementing events like building ten death stars or lose prestige would be easy enough to implement.

This brings to mind the age-old question: One ten million ton death star, or ten one million ton death stars?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I would really like to see more information on how sectors work. I'm hoping they're a little more complex then just worlds you can't directly build on.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Space Pussy posted:

I agree with you especially after the shitpile which was Beyond Earth. Brian Reynolds rolling in his grave.

But man, Civ 5 is a straight up money factory on steam.

Brian Reynolds is still alive though. :v:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm looking at the Lunar New Year sale on Steam right now, does anyone have an opinion on Warlock 1 vs Warlock 2? I know they're published by Paradox rather than developed, but still. Warlock 1 seems to be the more highly regarded but at the same time most of the complaints about 2 seem to be focused around it being too similar to 1 rather than being an inferior product, and since I've never played 1 I don't think that would matter to me. Is the first one actually superior to the sequel?

If you don't have 1, get 2. If you have 1, don't get 2.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Oh my god I just realized I am genuinely super-excited for the total conversions that'll inevitably be made for Stellaris. There are so many possibilities, and a galaxy is a galaxy anyways, not like having to turn Europe into Westeros or something.

Personally, I can't wait to finally see a fitting engine with which to make a warhammer 40k 4x game.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Give me a Dune universe TC or give me death. It'd be interesting just to see how modders would tackle the whole Spacing Guild, Bene Gesserit, and CHOAM mechanics.

Luckily, the game seems to come packed with butlerian crusade mechanics from the get-go.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Riso posted:

It's the Butlerian Jihad, young man!

I guess I'll never be fit to be an immortal worm-emperor then. :(

My personal favorite sort of basic scenario that I want to play is the good old fashioned collapse of the Terran empire/the war of earthly aggression.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Why do people think that the Persian Empire didn't have slavery? because it's not really based in much fact (do people think the women, boys and eunuchs in the harem were volunteers?). There weren't many slaves in Persia (that is Western Iran) itself because that was more of an aristocracy-ruling-peasants type of place than a greatly urbaninzed region at this time, however slavery had a long tradition in Mesopotamia (the heart of the empire), Egypt, the Levant and Anatolia, and in all cases was allowed to carry on as it always had in those regions. The Achaemenids are also noted to have enslaved large numbers of people as punishment for rebellion.

The later Sassanid Empire had laws regarding slavery that are very much like the later Islamic laws for slaves, that is slaves who converted to Zoroastrianism could buy their freedom, and some laws regarding the general treatment of slaves are also pretty similar.

But there never really was a large scale aversion to slavery as an institution, if anything ancient Persia is more like Medieval Europe in where you had a large population of unfree agrarian subjects ruled over by the aristocracy, but very few actual slaves.

This is a mostly good post, but your example is terrible. The Women and Enuchs were mostly volunteers, yes. For mostly the same reasons too: It was a way to gain political power without being born into it, one of the few possible paths to advancement in society. Either that, or with the women, they were mostly the relatives of the satrap or shah.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mans posted:

can't wait to turn the galaxy purple with the Xerxes 3000 battleship

They had slaves, but what would've happened if Persia had slavs???

I'm afraid that to learn this you will have to play Atilla Total war when the slavic faction pack drops.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

This is very clearly going to be DLC at some point. The round-robin is an obvious stopgap so that they don't spend a load of effort coming up with federation presidency systems if federations aren't a huge part of the game at launch.

I think this is the case. I mean, for one thing, it lacks a mechanism whereby a single member state can effectively consolidate control over the whole thing. Which, continuing the star trek analogy would be the dominion?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I really hope we have the ability to mod in starts for multiplayer and single player games. One of the ideas I'd like to be able to do for multiplayer is having several people playing factions of humans, starting out in the solar system, possibly either fighting over that, or having to abandon it because earth's all doomed or such.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In the vein of people asking for real time Total War style battles for EU4, I want an espionage DLC for Hearts of Iron featuring fully realized tactical espionage action, guest produced by Hideo Kojima.

The new MGS: Playing Aztecs only to discover your Tarascan neighbors have developed Metal Gear.

This is a terribly, horribly obscure joke and I make no apologies.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 25, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Comedy option total war: Europa Barbaroum/Europa Barbaroum 2 mods.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Groogy posted:

Joking aside I would love more stuff with the Mesoamericans.

Aztec Total War, imagine Spain laying siege to the magnificent city of Tenochtitlan and your legions are desperately trying to protect the last remnants of your once great empire.

You mean the americas campaign of Medieval 2? Ridiculously hard for the natives when you fight the spanish in that one, by the way.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Groogy posted:

I never got that because it came at a point where my interest of Total War was dying. Is it good? Is it just simply new factions unlocked with barely any content? Or did they actually put time and effort into it besides graphics.?

I guess what I mean as important is that it should feel like you are an empire of millions, which at the time was remarkable how well populated the region was.

It's a very dense piece of map settlement wise, mexico. Overall I'd say there's a moderate amount of effort put into things. They're about as well developed as say, the muslim factions in medieval 2 proper. Acceptably so, but not ideal. It is nice for them to talk about how mesoamerican cities were as bit and impressive as any in europe in the description of the highest level temple-pyramid though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Dude there's more than just Trois-Eveches. Here's some screenshots I took when I tried to run M&T a while back. I cannot tell if this is post-Cossacks or post-Mare Nostrum, but in any case it lags a bit behind where we currently are. Also, I think M&T is still only compatible up to 1.17, what with being as huge as it is, it always takes it some time to get compatibility up after a major patch releases.

I have this strange urge to scream, also I taste copper and my arm is numb.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

tombom posted:

EU2 had the best interface of all

I can't believe they sank france.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I for one can't wait to play the mauryans and build a stupa on the palatine hill.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I hope there's lots of formable tags. Want to create magna grecia and stomp down the perfidious latins.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, with the moddability of pops according to that dev diary, you just know that the first mod that's going to come out is adding patricians and plebians as special rome-only pops that add a billion overpowered bonuses and as many unimportant penalties, plus probably some grafted-on romanization system that lets rome convert as many other pops to them as they want without paying or any disadvantages to doing so.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Imperator Dev Diary on roads, unrest, and civilization levels.

Huh, this looks... actually really bad. Like, restricting road-building to certain cultures and a fairly arbitrary civilization mechanic that seems obtuse at best? It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing that really concerns me about all that's been shown so far though is that pretty much everything shown seems to be an update/reworking of Rome 1's mechanics in some way. But many of those mechanics were.. not good. Some, admittedly were good concepts done poorly that should be reused, but many, like populists and civilization, were just strange, obtuse and not really fitting to what we know about the time period.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know quite enough about roman populism to understand why it's a trap faction.

That's the point I was making: there is no reason why it should be. In fact, a lot of effective politicking was done by Populists, whose reforms inevitably lead to them getting stabbed by the conservative-aristocratic wing of roman politics.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Hm but have you considered that the history of hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle?

The only good roman red, is the kind that makes patricians dead!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mans posted:

OK am i the only one who saw that dev post and read it not as "only the romans can build roads" but as "the romans have a special military ability to build roads"?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This would make a lot more sense since as mentioned, lots of people knew how to make roads but the idea of having soldiers build roads as they marched to aid military campaigns was a particularly unique Roman one.

The problem with that is: wasn't this the dev diary about roads? I mean, sure it makes sense that there's non-military ways to do it, but why isn't that in the diary? Or even in the responses with people asking that same question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On the contrary, the Malkioni have an incredible amount of magical insanity. Also modelling them would require modelling central Genertela, as Tansior/Seshnela politically is built around their interactions with the former lands of the Autarky/Stygian Empire.

Not that Imperator Rome will work any better for modelling Glorantha in any of the times when anything of note was going on. Just right at the beginning of the opening we have stuff like the entire southern lunar empire's provincial army and leadership getting eaten by a dragon. Not to mention any of the things that happened in the second age, like two continents and a peninsula disappearing into the sea alongside a good portion of a continent becoming completely inaccessible. And that's still less complicated than stuff like a moon being made up of earth torn out of the ground and then said moon being invaded by ghengis khan.