Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm always kind of astonished when I see people on the paradox forums with the Victoria 2 German Fascist not-swastika flag as their avatar, especially when they're posting something fairly unobjectionable. Why discredit your arguments by outing yourself as a nazi right off the bat? It's also kind of weird paradox lets people use that flag in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I like that it's part 1.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I'm looking forward to the civil war and coup diary next week. Call me crazy but I'm really more interested in politics than warfare in WWII games.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

Princess Maker 2 was the pinnacle of medieval politics sims. Get on it, Paradox.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=511390130

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Kavak posted:

HOLY poo poo TROTSKY'S LEADING THE USSR

Preordered

Kavak posted:

AND HE SHAVED

Preorder cancelled

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That would be pretty cool to have the more primitive planets slowly progress as the game went on, with maybe some industrial, post-atomic worlds discovering space flight and joining in - even if they are minors like in GalCiv or something.

But it also wouldn't suprise me if primitive civs are 'stuck' in their current state. Considering a really primitive, prehistoric civ would have to be around for thousands of years to naturally progress from stone age to space age what is the point of modeling their evolution if you never see it?

Industrial age civs seem to have more detail being created for them (assuming the points in the lecture weren't just fluff) and they would have a better chance of developimg space flight within the scope of the game's time frame (which I'm assuming isnt thousands of years).

Maybe next week's DD will touch on it when they discuss uplifting?

quote:

Civilizations can and will progress between the ages, but it's a fairly slow process so you're not going to see a Bronze Age civilization work their way up to space technology within the span of a single game... on their own, at least. Technological Enlightenment does not move them up through the various ages, it's essentially a progress bar (with associated events). The time it takes depends on how advanced the primitives are.

And yes, there is always a risk of civilizations wiping themselves out in a nuclear war if they have reached the Atomic Age.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I haven't been nearly as excited about Stellaris as the rest of the thread and I'm not that big a fan of 4x games generally, but I really like this dev diary.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
And the Caliph for that matter!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
People here greatly exaggerate how bad the paradox forums are. Sure, there's lots of idiots and nationalists, but the majority of posters are fine, or at least inoffensive, and bad posts get dogpiled with disagrees.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

podcat on pdxs forums posted:

Q: Is Franco-British union going to have it's own flag in the final version of the game, or it's going to stay as UK?
A: probably stay, we dont have the tech for changing the flag in that way right now

That's too bad for Kaisserreich. I really love all the flag changes :(

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I think a bunch of countries have different flags if they become puppets of Germany or Russia even though their govtype could be the same. Some have different monarchy/republic flags. Actually there may be even more flag changes then are probably necessary, but it's nice flavor.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
It's an okay couch at best imo

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Victoria creates capitalists.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
This is dumb and bad.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I can't stop cringing.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Finally something good.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
D-day release!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
June 6th

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I want that hat

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
May 9th! #makespacegreatagain

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Man I'm going to be out of the country for June and most of May. Why are you doing this to me paradox :(

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

yeah I actually like cookie clicker but this one is literally just.. you press a single button. and occasionally you click things on the screen too.

It is exceptionally tedious even for a clicker liker like me. I'm using an autoclicker and I'm at close to 100,000 clicks but essentially nothing has happened. The number of active users makes me think it might be some sort of collective thing but if so that's very unclear.

Bold Robot posted:

A kickstarter? Why would anyone donate money to a profitable company that is about to do an IPO?

A kickstarter for $2500 no less.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
MAHYHEM!!!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

cool and good posted:

Does this happen often? It is awesome

:eyepop:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

uXs posted:

How about an RPG based on the Malazan books, that would be sweet.

Hundreds upon hundreds of DLC's.

I would be amazed if anyone could manage to adapt even a fraction of the scope of those books into an actual game and not just a lore dump with an impenetrable magic system bolted on. But as long as they include the most important questline, i.e. literally destroying civilization as a teblor, I'm on board.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
"Go Left"

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
There's only been one major expansion and it was pretty good and fixed a lot of my problems with the government and pop systems. My only big problems with Stellaris are that the combat is awful and warfare in general is totally tedious. And unfortunately I'm skeptical that they'll ever fix the latter. There are a lot of cool and interesting things about Stellaris and it is getting better, but it just sucks to actually play.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
For me the pop management is not horrible, but that may only be because if it weren't there you would have nothing to do most of the time. But I don't mind it. At this point I'll probably still buy future expansions once they go on sale. I hope they can at some point try to rework some of the fundamental design decisions that are holding the game back, but that's not really the usual expansion MO. I really wonder how long a life Stellaris will have. It seems to be popular enough if only due to the popular yearning for space 4X's, but I would be disappointed to see PDS resources tied up in it for two or more years longer.

I'm at a low point of excitement for Paradox right now. Eu4 is really starting to creak under all the expansion features, ck2 is winding down soon, hoi4 is good but the expansions have been good but underwhelming, and Stellaris continues to disappoint. The sooner they announce Vicky 3 the better imo, even if it's still a couple years away.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

GrossMurpel posted:

Those trees must be completely incomprehensible.

Usually they're alright or crazy in a fun way, but the one for the Fengtian Republic (read the "informal empire" part for the worst of it) seems batshit and horrible.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Once you separate language from culture, I think culture becomes a (more) nebulous and mostly useless thing to keep track of. Are monolingual German-speaking but Polish-cultured pops accepted in Germany? Would they prefer to live in Poland? When do they start being culturally German? Are the Arvanites cultural Greeks who happen to speak Albanian or cultural Albanians? What precisely is cultural assimilation if not language acquisition? If culture is distinct from language, the natural assumption is probably that it represents ethnicity, which becomes... problematic.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Janissary Hop posted:

Alphas are games now? How low our standards have sunken.

This isn't much of an own considering it's literally true thanks to early access

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Otoh Hoi4 and Stellaris came out at basically the same time.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
That's basically the default state of Paradox games tbh

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
March of the Eagles is pretty underappreciated imo. I wish they had supported it more/at all and it had been a little more ambitious.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Preemptive denials are like the number one sign people are definitely going to do something.

So what you're saying is that Vicky 3: Rome 2 is imminent?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Doesn't PDM completely snap the economy in half with all the new goods? I seem to remember that in the one or two games I played with it almost every country in the world, even the GP's, were in a constant bankruptcy death spiral while I had millions and millions because I was the only one who bothered to build the pharmaceutials factory or whatever.

Kind of, but this thread or the old one used to hate PDM (and MEIOU) so that was probably exaggerated here. It does make the game easier because money is so plentiful but iirc bankruptcy spirals mainly hit smaller countries. I wouldn't call it significantly worse than vanilla in that regard, though it does add totally unnecessary complexity.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm also surprised there's no mechanic for trade embargoes against other nations either, although maybe this would end up breaking the economy entirely if it was possible.

Now that you mention it, that is surprising! I wonder if it's possible to sell guns and boats to a country you're at war with.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Personally I'm betting against a grand strategy game. Iirc Johan has talked a fair bit about wanting to do an RPG and just because Runemaster was scrapped doesn't mean the idea is dead for sure.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Paradox Grand Strategy: Still Waiting On Victoria III

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's really not that hard coming up with a name list. Here's one for German women:

Sieglinde
Gutrune
Woglinde
Wellgunde
Flosshilde
Brünnhilde
Gerhilde
Ortlinde
Waltraute
Schwertleite
Helmwige
Siegrune
Grimgerde
Roßweiße

Hmm, isn't it a little anachronistic to use modern-ish orthography like sch, ü, and ß? How did Rome 1 do it?