Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

catlord posted:

one with a big-rear end Latin title

That's always a bad sign.

Larry Parrish posted:

Masters of Orion wasn't a good enough game to deserve 85,000 remakes.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't there a CK2 mod that replaces rulers with anime girls?

Oh yes

I think there also used to be a Touhou mod, which is... are there even maps of Gensoukyou?

e: Actually, hey, this mod has a consistent art style for all ethnicities! I wish vanilla could pull that trick off.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You can mouse over the number and get a breakdown. It's not particularly detailed though, and it won't tip you to the fact that supply spending = mil score.

Can do the same with the industrial score. It always amuses me when London ends up containing more industry than entire other "Great" Powers.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Win95? Bourgeois pretension. Real Paradox fans are still thinking they can get HOI4 to work on a ZX Spectrum.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think Paradox have ever done an open beta?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

I only got the base game but I should probably grab the DLC as soon as I can because they sound like they add a lot of pretty neat stuff.

I only ever found one good reason to manually gently caress around with trade and that's flash-building troops.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Actually, mobilisation is amazing, because the AI thinks its pure-infantry conscript stacks can take your regulars in a fair fight, when actually it is more like they are shovelling their dudes into a combine harvester. Ten to one kill ratios are a thing of wonder and beauty.

No but seriously, the real reason mobilisation sucks is because pressing that button gives you a thousand new armies to manage, all of them different sizes, all of them spread out all over the place, none of them with artillery or any of that poo poo and just generally the whole thing is a) not very helpful and b) a major pain in the arse to manage.

Just, loving, stop tying brigades to POPs, give me a unified manpower pool, make the mobilisation button add the conscript MP to the national pool and let me build the brigades the old-fashioned way. Actually no, not the old-fashioned way; with EUIV's army templates.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Back To 99 posted:

Victoria 2 is too short, please somehow make the victorian era last longer next time.

1748 Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle to 2048 Rise of Immortan Joe :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:golfclap:

Though the most interesting thing about this picture is

Groogy posted:

Podcat is now making me redo the Peace Conference AI because apparently some glory for Denmark is not allowed.

oh yes

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I think they've missed a trick by not taking Austrian Tyrol.

~~~Republic of the Alps~~~

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Same but also ship design.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For ship design I'm hoping for something where it's pretty simple to design and you just make small incremental changes over the course of the game based on what technologies you research or find. Something more akin to something like an RPG where you level up and get to assign a skill point to something you want, where it's kind of a fun feedback loop that ties into the rest of the gameplay. Endless Legend did something kind of like that (Skill Points from leveling up, and Equipment from research or quests) and it was reasonably alright because it didn't involve tons of fiddling around. Or maybe something like what it sounds like HOI4 is doing with it's division design, where you want to make changes and improvements to the designs but it costs some kind of points to do so.

I was playing Star Ruler 2 last night and the ship design is just, like... on the one hand, there are a couple of cool streamlining ideas in there, but on the other it really makes me understand why people hate ship design.

So, the way it works is, you fill hexes. You select the subsystem you want to add, you plonk it down on the builder canvas, and then you drag it out to fill x number of hexes. The more hexes a subsystem covers, the more damage/power/thrust it produces, and you can add extra widgets inside to customise them. So, immediately: why are you making me fill out all these hexes? The actual underlying hex grid does seem to interact with the damage model (damage from a specific direction gets applied to the hexes facing that direction, outermost hexes first), but you could replicate 95% of the functionality- the 95% we actually care about, as battles typically involve hundreds in ships and our only interaction with combat is to ram fleets into each other- with a list of subsystems and some size sliders. Or, better yet, a selection of three or four predefined sizes, because that's all the granularity we really need.

The cool streamlining idea here is that the number of hexes you have to fill doesn't change with the size of the ship. If I'm designing a screen, it doesn't matter if it's size 1 or size 100: I have 60 hexes to fill. Except, whoops, they're not really consistent in applying that idea- if I'm designing a capital ship instead of a screen, I need to fill 128 hexes. And if I'm foolish enough to try my hand at a Titan- 512 hexes. At 60 hexes, the designer minigame is fairly fun and engaging, even if on an intellectual level little of the work you're doing is going to make much difference to the actual gameplay. At 128, it's a little bit of a chore but still not that bad. At 512, you start losing your mind once you get to the engines.

Not great. Compare and contrast SEIV's ship design:

It's just a goddamn list of subsystems. This thing contains:

• An AI brain
• 6 engines, I think these ones are photon drives?
• 2 guns, large variants of some kind of energy weapon
• 1 CIWS
• 2 shield devices (phased)
• 1 self-destruct device
• 2 miscellaneous parts I do not currently recognise

It would take about twenty clicks to design and it's got far more going on than anything I designed in SR2. Better yet, weapons have size variants and you always get the same amount of move per engine no matter how large the ship (...unless you're playing with QNP, which... nevermind), so larger designs don't take all that much longer (Cruisers are about mid-range, sizewise). Ships in SEIV take less time to design than you need to come up with a sufficiently metal class name. This is in a game that's fifteen years old and has an interface designed by and for lunatics.

It's not perfect, obvious. Do I really need to add six engines individually? Can't I just go, like, "these are the engines I'm using, give me six of them"? Or better yet, "I want this design to go at speed X, give me as much engine as I need for that to happen". Ditto every other system. It could be completely complexity invariant on ship size.

(SOTS1 has a similar system, but it managed to be somehow, fiddlier, less intuitive and more restrictive)

Of course, all of this is only interesting if you have tactical combat. If you're only interacting with ships on a strategic level, then you only really want to be designing those variables that have strategic implications.

But that's a whole other rant.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fuligin posted:

I am unironically looking forward to buying 50$ worth of alien fungus themed portrait packs and music tracks.

yes

Randarkman posted:

Wonder what "inhbition release" is. The purge?

That was my first thought. Not sure what that looks like on a strategic level, though. There's a day every year where half your leaders just die?

Pharnakes posted:

Q1 2016 isn't it? I'm sure it'll be delayed 6 months to a year though.

I thought the story with this one was that they waited to announce it until they knew they weren't going to HOI4 it up?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

Alright so let me tell you how the mind of a Greek work. Every day a greek ruler would wake up, ask himself "So who can I castrate today?" and he would look at every single living being he ruled over and ask them "Are you my prisoner? No? Well gently caress" and move on to the next one.

You have to go through each courtier and check if they're in the prison? You can't get a list of prisoners directly?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dibujante posted:

The alternative is to maintain a running list of everyone who is in prison

Yes, and? "Prisoners" is a very specific subset of the court with its own attendant interactions, a subset (I think?) the AI wants to think about more often than the rest. Sounds like a pretty good candidate for caching to me.

Though I guess the court isn't necessarily going to be that much larger than the prisons...

Dibujante posted:

and hope that the list never gets out of sync.

If you have to hope you're coding it wrong. One function to put people into prison and handle all dependent logic; one to do the reverse. Call those wherever you need to do those things; do not manipulate prison status in any other way.

I've been doing a lot of refactoring at work recently and I think it's turning me into Code Reuse Hitler.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Puella Magissima posted:

I like that it's part 1.

Oh, there are entire swathes of nefarious Scandinavian revisionism still to be addressed. For example: the Nazis can lose the war!!! Their soldiers aren't immortal automatons capable of taking any other armed force in the world ten to one!!! The majestic Hitler portrait is only slightly more majestic than the majestic Stalin portrait, when we all know that our glorious Fuhrer was at least twice as majestic as that bolshie gently caress!!! :colbert:

Another Person posted:

gotta wonder what most of these people do when presented with a well researched and sourced history textbook that defeats their crazy ideas

let me tell you about cultural marxism

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tomn posted:

You know who was more majestic than either of them?

George VI.

:colbert:

Who, this George?

No no no, he looks like a nerd. You've got the wrong George.

Look at that beard, unf

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Drone posted:

5. I'm bad at army stuff in V2 but I always do stacks of 6 inf/2 cav/2 art. Later on when supply limits are large enough to do big armies and I'm at war, I double that, but I generally keep stacks of 30,000 troops.

Stack design in Vicky boils down to: take two hussars for recon (faster occupations/reduce dig in penalties), two engineers for sieges (for attacking forts), and then a 1:1 ratio of artillery and infantry, as much as you need/can fit into one stack. The artillery's there to do the killing and the infantry's there to do the dying.

The late game units are super expensive for little benefit; planes can sub in for hussars and have mad defence stats if you have the cash, but there isn't really any point at all to tanks.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dongattack posted:

HoI3:

If i give a automated theatre in France landing crafts and marines, and tell them to attack England, will they poo poo themselves and do nothing or will they make use of them and attack?

Depends on many factors, like what mood the AI's in and the phase of the moon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Drone posted:

Is HoI4's provisional release date still "Q1 2016" or has it been bumped back to later quarters?

Johan's word was that it would take six months, minimum, to go from beta to release, and as far as I know the beta hasn't actually started yet.

I'd say that points to an August-ish release.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I like error dog.

Also it's a funny sort of game when supply systems are a sexy DD topic.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

It sounds pretty dumb tbh but i'll literally never play a HoI game so idgaf and can laugh at grogs having a strong fit about it.

Not even the mod that lets you play a communist Britain and bring the glory of the revolution to every corner of the globe?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Westminster System posted:

I had fun with Stardrive 2 - people are extremely salty over the fact that Stardrive 1 was never "finished" (Part developer fault, part random factors, part game engine being discontinued during development) - though its still a reasonably decent game let down by engine limitations. Mileage varies on the bias of other reviews as well.

The Developer has a tendency to tell you about stuff he ends up being unable to do, which is basically "muh promises" and anathema to the gaming community these days. His own fault though.

The 3ma crew reckoned the sequel stripped out everything interesting about the original and ended up being a much more conservative MoO-like. Confirm/deny?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jazerus posted:

Victoria 2 makes perfect sense, other than the economy, about which even Paradox devs know little more than the basic guidelines. Like any Paradox game, it simply requires playtime and maybe a bit of wiki use to understand

Podcat claims to know how the economy works just fine. :colbert:

It is said that the soul he sold for this dark knowledge still follows him, hiding in shadows and whispering to passers-by in fractured words of madness and power. When night falls it watches over his dreams, and feeds on the joy it finds there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SkySteak posted:

Jokes aside, given that it is on sale, is there anything going for HOI3 vs Darkest Hour? I understand that people often say not to commit onto HOI3 but is there really nothing that the game does well?

Edit: Note that I already own DH.

The custom scenario thing in TFH was pretty cool, and I hope it comes back in 4.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A White Guy posted:

The Mercator map is such an awful projection, please stop using it :gonk:, copycats and paradox designers.

Paradox actually use a (horrifically brutalised) Miller projection, not Mercator! :eng101:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

no

i will fight you for jeff goldblum's honor

Jeff Goldblum is good and cool and I am always up for watching whatever variant on "Jeff Goldblum in a movie" he's playing this week, but that trailer was terrible and the movie will be poo poo.

Also, gently caress that speech.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Takanago posted:

today's World War Wednesday

Kind of a mindfuck to see someone deliberately picking Grand Battleplan :haw:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Schizotek posted:

And despite that Finland was still *slowly* losing with their fascist supersoldiers and a crippled mid-purge Russia. I wouldn't worry about Finland blobbing out of control anytime soon.

The guy wasn't playing anything close to optimally, I don't think. Set up his units for a defensive war, then went on the offensive. Only set up his battleplans (and began building new divisions) after he declared war. Built a bunch of artillery, but didn't add it to the division template until he was losing. Went deep into fighter tech/doctrine but never built any fighters. Didn't actually encircle St Petersberg. Etc. Yes, I am critiquing this based on exactly zero hours experience with the game. :colbert:

I did think it was funny that Finland could double its IC in the space of two years, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Alchenar posted:

So without knowing more about how combat works this is guesswork but the whole thing about Leningrad being hard to take was that it it on the isthmus and with a river flowing through and beneath it, so the only way to take it once there were forces dug in around it was a frontal assault. From the screenshot it looks suspiciously like the Germans can pull off a multiple province envelopment and leverage the combat bonus you get in all HOI games from attacking from multiple directions to take the city much easier. That's the eyebrow raiser.

Would this do what you want it to?

So you've got multiple Nevas, one on both sides of the city, and if the Germans want to envelopment it they have to cross to Finland and come at it from the north? Which probably won't be a problem for them, but I'm not sure what else you could do to make it unenvelopable. Maybe add a little promontory there, stick the city on that, and give it only one adjacent province? Hmm. The geography's not really set up to support that at this scale.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, poo poo. If I'd known they were going to push a patch I would have asked them to change the top produced/imported/exported goods rankings to order by total value rather than raw units. Too late now?

(:swoon: election events, crises :swoon:)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah shift is very useful, but when you're in charge of say, Russia, or the USA, nationwide would make a world of difference.

Hey man, at least that poo poo is contiguous. Try managing the British Empire some time. :shepicide:

On that note, nationwide upgrades would be super handy for naval bases too.

What else? The population density map mode is sort of useless. And also not a population density map mode, but there's no fixing that. It'd be more useful, I think, if it was on a fixed (not relative), logarithmic scale with... a dozen? Twenty? Discrete steps. The way it is now you've got a handful of tiny red stars lost in an indeterminate sea of green.

Something like this, maybe? Greens are a bit close together.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Takanago posted:

:negative: I can't download the patch because I bought V2 on Gamersgate.

Same. I didn't even know V2 was available on Steam, it's that old. :confuoot:

e: jesus loving h christ V2 + HOD is £30 on Steam :eyepop:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Has anybody done any V2 today since the beta rolled out? I've sputtered along three different starts (USA, USA and Netherlands), and I've noticed Sweden and Russia going to war in the 1830s in all three games. That didn't happen before, did it?

I have, but I'm playing Russia. I have noticed one odd thing, though: none of my allies have ever agreed to join my wars. Also, got a CTD when the first world war broke out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-15-fallen-empires.900744/&sdpDevPosts=1
Here it is. Not a lot of info but I like that they can be snapped out of their fallen state to become truly dangerous again. I hope with DLC and poo poo we can play as a fallen empire.

Immediate thought: "Can I make friends with the fallen empire and get them to uplift me?"

quote:

Fallen Empires are isolationist and will look at newer species with disinterest or outright contempt. Diplomatic attempts are futile and they will most likely attack any unknown ships entering one of their remaining systems.

My hopes and dreams: crushed.

Wiz posted:

I updated the V2 beta patch with some fixes. Details on forums/twitter if you want 'em.

:neckbeard:

Was not expecting this so soon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gort posted:

According to Johan's Twitter, Hearts of Iron 4 will not be released in Q1 of 2016.

https://twitter.com/producerjohan

Obviously I'd prefer if it was, but I'll take a game of higher quality over one that releases to an arbitrary schedule any day of the week.

There's another tweet of his from a couple of days ago saying it's still in alpha. We're not seeing it 'til Autumn, guys. At the earliest.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dibujante posted:

It is remarkably hard to get Alan Turing facetime in WW2 videogames, despite his substantial role in winning the war.

He gets to be his own tech team in DH. :unsmith:

I actually can't remember whether that's also true in standard HOI2.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

podcat posted:

he is pretty high on my cool list so I'm sure he'll appear in HOI eventually

Glorious Turing leader portrait for use by potential Technocratic Britain???

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If HOI3 pre-orders are a free rub on the Paradox genie lamp I'll take that majestic Turing portrait, tia.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Isn't the division builder supposed to help with that, though? Early in the game, you might not have enough experience to fill every slot. So even if there's an optimal build, you might not be able to deploy it until you've earned some XP.

I think the entire point of it is to model the way that Italy had a lot of thin, lovely divisions, and the way that France had a lot of really good tanks but couldn't use them properly because they were all stuck playing fire support for infantry, and there was a lot of institutional inertia that made changing that difficult.

Actually, it might be worth looking at how that second one is modelled in the various incarnations of HOI, so we can examine the contours of the different systems.

HOI2/DH: Divisions are an indivisible block. Every division of the same type performs in roughly the same way, subject to bonuses from tech and doctrines- your only customisation options are brigades, which are like these little mods you weld on to your divisions. So France (I'm assuming this is how they work it, I don't think I've ever actually played them) has a bunch of INF divisions with LARM and (maybe?) ARM brigades attached.

Problem: you want to "fix France", get those tanks out of those divisions and into their own pure-ARM divisions so you can use them as an armoured spearhead. What do you do? Well, you start building a bunch of ARM divisions from scratch, because there aren't any actual "tanks", as such, there's just divisions and brigades, and the two are entirely different species. Nothing you can do can turn those brigades into divisions.

Pros: Simple, easy to understand
Cons: Not a lot of variation between nations, simulation weirdness caused by abstraction/reality mismatch.

HOI3: Everything is brigades now. Brigades in the HOI2-division-mods sense no longer exist; they are now the atomic building block of armies, basically what divisions used to be, only smaller and more numerous. A division is just a word for a stack of brigades. Okay, so you get a combined arms bonus if your stacks have a certain sort of composition, w/e. France has a bunch of INF brigades mashed together with a bunch of ARM brigades (...probably...).

Problem: you want to "fix France", get those tanks out of those divisions and into their own pure-ARM divisions so you can use them as an armoured spearhead. What do you do? You go through those divisions and split off your ARM brigades, of course! Nae buther. And then you flip to blitzkrieg doctrine because hell, you're not even locked to a specific tree anymore.

Also you have to remove every single one of those brigades individually by hand good luck with that.

Pros: You can do anything you want!
Cons: ...which is bad, because there's no walls anywhere, so everyone just gravitates to the most efficient solution and there's still no variety. It's really messy, too, and holy poo poo would you look at all that micro.

HOI4: The division makes its triumphant return, once more the fundamental building block of power. The brigade isn't an attachable widget, nor is it its own little baby division thing- in fact, it's gone a bit metaphysical on us. The division is a big wodge of manpower with a pile of equipment and a type or template grafted on. The latter is a sort of theoretical, abstract internal structure to the division that doesn't really exist in any sort of tangible sense, and does exciting things like determine how many trained man-dudes and the exact sort of equipement pile the division needs to fight properly, and what "fight properly" actually means in soft/hard attack terms. The template itself is a collection of abstract "brigades", which you can add to or remove from the structure using a new "experience points" resource. Furthermore, the template is a shared property of all divisions using that template- if you add a brigade to the template, then that brigade is also added to every division using that template in the field! Neat! So what does France look like now? They've got a bunch of mostly-infantry divisions with a few tank brigades in for good measure. Probably.

Problem: you want to "fix France", get those tanks out of those divisions and into their own pure-ARM divisions so you can use them as an armoured spearhead. What do you do? Well, you start by going to the relevant template and removing those brigades. All the tanks your divisions were using are returned to the pool. Then you go and whip up an entirely new template that is 100% tanks, at some outrageous exp cost I guess, and your tanks trundle out of the pool and into your new divisions, to frolic happily in the fields of Ile-de-France with their tank friends.

Pros: Flexible and sticky, Goldilocks will be pleased.
Cons: CK2, EU4, Stellaris dev teams on suicide watch as they realise they are working on the inferior games.

...sorry, that was more of a tangent than I was expecting.

Gort posted:

Yeah, I was wondering why there was a yellow line a couple of hundred miles into France while he assured us he was taking a defensive stance.

Keeping up the fine Nazi tradition of being full of poo poo :toot:

(Alternatively, laying out a battleplan for the future and hitting "execute" by accident)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Another Person posted:

is the world war wednesday twitch archive broken for anyone else? I was really looking forward to watching that

Yeah, it's hosed. You can get about two thirds of it if you switch quality to low, but then you can't see what's going on.