Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fuligin posted:

I unironically desire a sequel to March of the Eagles.

Seconded, I actually had a lot of fun with MotE. But not in vanilla, I had to use the "The Gods" mod, but it makes it much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've said it before, but Paradox should most definitely buy the rights to Darklands and remake that poo poo. I can think of no other RPG title that is more up their historical alley than that, and it was a fantastic game for its time.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 30, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

RabidWeasel posted:

I think that Darklands is the oldest game that I still play (unless you count Tetris derivatives) and I can't think of any other game that fits that niche. Even now it's a pretty drat fun and good game.

Same. Darklands just strikes the perfect chord for me: a healthy helping of actual history, a sprinkling of low magic, a growing sense of religious-themed horror, a fantastic character generation system, a massive world...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Westminster System posted:

Um, well, okay then.

Are you surprised by the fact that Finland is a GP, or that it's ruled by the Swedish party?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SkySteak posted:

Just starting a NNM campaign as Russia in Victoria 2. Given that I played the USA last time which is essentially auto pilot mode, I have a few questions:

1. I would wait, like the poster above said, until you've gotten literacy up and some factory efficiency techs under your belt. Otherwise your factories are going to be churning out expensive products that nobody will buy and you'll be paying more in factory subsidies than you should be.

2. To be honest I always let the AI handle all trade and stockpiles because gently caress trying to figure out if/how that whole system works, even if I have 300 hours in the game.

3. Educated pops will increase your total overall literacy, but honestly with a country as massive as Russia, I don't think it's going to make anything but a negligible difference given the population of East Prussia is only going to be a fraction of your overall population.

4. Not sure here, I never really mess with the academia types.

5. I'm bad at army stuff in V2 but I always do stacks of 6 inf/2 cav/2 art. Later on when supply limits are large enough to do big armies and I'm at war, I double that, but I generally keep stacks of 30,000 troops.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DStecks posted:

Your definition of game is a useless one.

Where's the fun in a game where there isn't the danger of losing?

Are you also the kind of person who uses unlimited gold/ammo/resources cheat codes in every game you play?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cynic Jester posted:

And then you have games like Sim City and so forth, where the goal of the game is not "To win", but rather to have fun doing whatever you want within the confines of the game.

But even Sim City has pretty strict limitations to what you can do and when you can do it. You are still bound within the confines of your city's budget, and you are still locked out of specific buildings and policies until you've reached certain milestones (income, population, density, etc). Disasters exist that can provide you with a setback to overcome with the very real possibility of your city entering a death spiral that is actually challenging to overcome. The "negative" events provide a challenge for you to overcome. Take civil wars in CK2 as a great example: they provide a very real possibility of the player losing the war and setting him or her back decades of in-game time (or, in some cases, can even mean game over). And without them, the game is 700 years of almost never having to face any challenges or consequences.

In short: losing is fun.

I do however agree with you that this really only applies to single-player. Losing in any multiplayer game is generally Not Fun, though I've had some really goddamn entertaining wars that I've lost in EU4 goon multiplayer in the past.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Good to see HOI4 is continuing the time-honored Hearts of Iron tradition of somehow completely loving up American borders.

LOOK AT MAINE. And that extra-flaccid uncut Floridick.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lichtenstein posted:

You don't remember the HoI ccg, do you?

I'll trade you a Montgomery, a Zhukov, and two Nimitzes for your holographic Hitler.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Groogy posted:

I am always surprised by people thinking we have this, why would we? We already have a whole forum that kinda acts like it for us. We all have interest in history but we do not have anyone with the professional title of "Historian". Whoever gets the task of creating the content whatever form it is (art, scripting, design) has the responsibility of researching it and implementing it. Nothing fancy.

You know, if PDS ever should find itself looking to hire someone with a degree in history... :allears:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Demiurge4 posted:

Found the barista.

Close! IT!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Groogy posted:

Actually while I was working on AI for HOI I had a big problem of Switzerland joining the Allies and kicking Germany's and Italy's rear end and conquering huge swaths of their land. Don't think you have anything to worry there. Switzerland is really damned strong, but I believe they are not gonna steamroll anymore but be more focused on defense now.

Sorta tempted to boot up HoI3 or DH as Germany and try to invade Switzerland and just count up how many casualties the Redoubt costs.

That sounds pretty weird out of context I'm sure.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is HoI4's provisional release date still "Q1 2016" or has it been bumped back to later quarters?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kavak posted:

I imagine Kaiserreich is covered under that as well, though I wonder if HoI IV will change that (We'll host that version on Steam if we have to)

I'd honestly almost say that someone should just get together and make a Kaiserreich game on its own, but I know in my heart of hearts that it would turn into a clusterfuck like East vs. West and that would be the worst crime of all.

Or Paradox finally realizes how wildly popular Kaiserreich is and just hires Kavak & co. to work on HoI4's first alt-hist DLC, which is probably the far better option

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pharnakes posted:

Yes, they are. To the extent that they have sworn never to license out their engine again I believe.

All the more reason for them to do Kaiserreich in-house :getin:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MinistryofLard posted:

They got DH from licencing out HOI2, but by the same token they also got "the Courage Push the Bravery" from the same IP.

Is there actually a story behind that quote? I mean it's obviously translated into English (poorly) from some other language where I'm sure it makes sense. Is it going to be your Paradox forums usual suspects (Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian, Bulgarian?)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ha, I just noticed it's not even on Steam anymore (I'm pretty sure it was at some point?)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Come. Let us seat the democracy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

uninverted posted:

It was a pretty :psyduck: moment for me when I learned that modern Egypt can't feed itself after spending so much time reading about it being the breadbasket of the ancient mediterranean.

Really? Here in Germany, most of the grapes you buy at the supermarket come either from Egypt or Spain, so they definitely export at least some types of food.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kavak posted:

Side question, how are coal-fired ships handled?

Very well, thank you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

quote:

Hi!

We are sorry to inform you that you did not make it to the Hearts of Iron IV Beta at this time.

You've taken away my ability to feel human, Paradox. :smith: as with every expansion, product announcement, and exhalation

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

rejected for being a Danish

And now the username/post combo makes sense

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Paradox forum is coming from inside this thread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think Ive ever played a space 4X game ever since MOO 1, but all this talk here is making me want to try.

Can someone recommend me some good games, past and present, of the genre?

Aurora.

Really though, ones that I always come back to are: GalCiv 2, Distant Worlds, occasionally Endless Space.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gamerofthegame posted:

Part of me is concerned what the hell civil wars are going to do in an 8~ year long game, Spain and China aside. Seems like it'd be just an annoying distraction, especially looking that the way Greece was split up in the example.

The rest still looks good, tho, so we'll just see.

Thought the game was still going to be '36 to '48, like HOI2 vanilla was?

Edit: the one thing that always strikes me about HOI4 DD's is just how goddamn good the game looks. I mean, aesthetically, it's very pleasing.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 20, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

vyelkin posted:

Is it possible to have a three-way civil war, like if the communists decide to fight the current democratic government and then the fascists also decide to fight since there's fighting going on?

Pave the way for Kaiserreich.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Voting stardates.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Demiurge4 posted:

Distant Worlds did that with the older galaxies. It would generate small or large empires and generally the AI of a massive 1/8th of the galaxy size empire wouldn't find you at all interesting and leave you alone if you were a minor power. If you could get in on trade early on you could even make friends. That is unless the empire was the spider dudes. gently caress those guys.

Distant Worlds is so drat good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

VostokProgram posted:

The Sharmat posted:

lol if you don't think there's going to be a dozen Legend of the Galactic Heroes custom portrait packs on day 1

Preorder un-cancelled.

Where can I pre-order this DLC?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is distant worlds worth buying on the steam sale? I saw that it was some dollars off the other day, and I love me some empire building games, but I am scared by all things Matrix gaming related...

It's fantastic, buy it.

Edit: maybe watch some Youtube videos of it first though, or read up on one of Grey Hunter's two LP's of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

In general the new world algorithm looks vastly improved, but I also kinda don't like how it seems that there's such a strong northern hemisphere bias to it in all of the preview screenshots. That screenshot above would look so much more interesting if there were at least a larger archipelago or Indonesia-type island chain populating it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

pdxjohan posted:

I recommend booking that time every week until release ;)

Ugggh please tell me you're archiving these and uploading to Youtube (or just leaving them as VODs on the Twitch page even). I'm still at work at 14:30 CET and won't be able to watch properly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

HOI4 looks super good and judging by the video it's also going to be the first Paradox game in like 12 years where I actually need to read a tutorial. :smith:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Santa Johan, if you're listening, all I want for Christmas Day Yuletide is an unannounced early HOI4 release :pray:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I really want to put in a day of vacation time for the HOI4 release date. Whenever that may be (hint hint, Paradox).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mans posted:

you're pretty cute if you think a paradox game will be playable on release day :v:

Literally can't be worse than HoI3's release (for which I also took a day off, sadly).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

zedprime posted:

If I remember right, the day of was something resembling playable but they quickly fixed that with a patch that made time advance so slowly that you couldn't play even if you wanted to.

Vivid memories of people posting their average day lengths in-game in the then-current Paradox thread. I think the best anyone had was a six second day.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Omnicarus posted:

While I agree that Cyrus's empire was great, I think this is a little narrow minded. The Empire of Serbia, founded in 1346 by Stefan Dušan The Mighty, ranks above the Persian Empire in most chronologic, military, economic, and social metrics that you can find.

Paradox, please make Serbian clay a trade commodity in Stellaris.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Koramei posted:

my bets are still on may or june

Yeah, my money is on D-Day because Paradox is just like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Putting in June 6th and 7th as days off work now, I guess.

Stellaris looks real good but I also don't get the feeling it'd be up my alley enough to play hooky.