Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Whats this clicker thing you all are talking about?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didn't HOI2/Darkest Hour/HOI3 list Cordell Hull as Head of State of the US? I vaguely remember seeing his portrait next to Roosevelt's.

Or maybe it was John Nance Garner?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Do we know what nations come with those beautiful custom leader portraits by default? I would have assumed just the big 8 (US/UK/USSR/France/Germany/Italy/Japan/China). but I remember also seeing Finnish portraits in a dev diary somewhere. Maybe Canada/Australia too?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is Shadow Hitler the only difference between the German version and the Rest-of-World version? Or did you guys have to rename him too a la HOI2, or any other weird video game censorship things?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dylguy90 posted:

Would actually pay money for a dlc where D-Day was an Aztec invasion of Europe and the U.S.

I'm still holding out for alien invasion DLC.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Last time I did a France game, I took an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach to Germany. I spent the vast majority of my game working on biting off pieces of Spain and colonizing, all the while keeping good relations with Germany. Eventually I just let them have Alsace-Lorraine since I had already eaten pretty much the entire Iberian peninsula, so the territory trade was worth it, since Germany and I became inseparable bros who conquered Europe and dismantled the British Empire together.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Star posted:

We all know of the famous and feared zebra regiments of WWII.

Kavak, please implement zebra cavalry for Mittelafrika in the HOI4 version of the Kaiserreich mod.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Apparently Killerrabbit has already started up the Modern Day Scenario mod development for HOI4.

I'm the lensflare in Hollande's portrait.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

John Charity Spring posted:

Is this the guy who thinks 9/11 was fake or was that someone else involved with the development of MDS?

I vaguely remember hearing something like that? I'm pretty sure he's the one who has been one of the Paradox forums' most notorious old guard prima donnas and has abandoned and then come back to the project multiple times. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure that the Darkest Hour version basically never worked despite years of "development", and I think the last time I actually played a workable MDS mod was back in the HOI2:DD days.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Westminster System posted:

Surely you are mistaking him for the greatest drama queen, novapaddy.

Yep, that's the one, my bad.

Though I forget why he was a drama queen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Weren't NATO counters based on existing and commonly-used symbols in France/UK/US that ultimately descended from the Napoleonic era?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Paradox Forums are coming from inside the thread!

GrossMurpel posted:

I think you're all glossing over the biggest problem, which is that you can't disable the awful loving models in the first place.

The models look totally fine though?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I was promised war dogs, preorder re-cancelled

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sky Shadowing posted:

Is Turtledove actually any good? The only thing I've read from him is the short-story The Road Not Taken (which, if you haven't read it, is alternate history where FTL travel is super easy and the galaxy is controlled by Age of Sail level civilizations, that is, until one of them decide to invade modern-day Earth (because we just somehow never figured it out)).

It's pretty lowbrow airport guilty-pleasure trash fiction, but I quite like them. I started with In The Presence Of Mine Enemies which is actually pretty good, but I felt like he had a hard time properly conveying the caution that a Jew hiding in Nazi society would need to feel, instead relying on constantly reminding the reader when "oh no, that barber cut my hair the wrong way! Do you think he knows I'm a Jew?" or "poo poo, the waitress brought my soup out cold, could it be because I'm Jewish?" Overall an enjoyable read though.

I didn't read the whole Southern Victory series (the huge series of books that details the timeline from mid-19th to mid-20th centuries if the South won the Civil War), but I did read the American Empire sub-series (the interwar years) and quite liked them. There is a WHOLE lot of "it rhymes" happening though, where he straight-up copies character concepts from real life and applies them to his own world. One of the biggest offenders: the US has an Irwin Rommel analogue named... Irving Morrel. I do really, really like some of his writing styles and think they make for excellent worldbuilding (the American Empire sub-series has sortof a "cast of thousands" feel, with like 20 main narrators that bounce back and forth around American/Canadian society, and he shows you a lot of how this alternate world looks through their eyes).

But I really enjoyed those books too, you just have to be aware that they're trash and sorta revel in it. There's a reason why Turtledove gets nods all over alt-history though, because he's probably the most well-known and prolific writer. I dunno if it was Ofaloaf or not, but I sorta smiled when I discovered a Turtledove easter egg in the After The End mod for CK2 (Cincinnatus Driver is the ruler of the county of Covington, Kentucky)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

There's just something about HOI games that brings out the worst in people it's the grognardism

I'm more pumped for Stellaris than I thought I would be... what's better is that I was watching one of those Wiz/cKnoor videos with my fiancé (who is definitely not the Paradox strategy game type) and he looks really intrigued by it. If it turns out to be good, I think there's a ton of potential for this to be a breakout into the mainstream for Paradox.

I mean, you could argue that CK2 was that way as well, but I think this will be on a whole other level.

Also the music is kickin' rad, and hopefully it's that way in HOI4 too (is it still Andreas Waldetoft?)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

YF-23 posted:

HoI2 had them and they were legitimately the better choice in that game since the soldier sprites didn't allow you to distinguish different types of units as well. Infantry, marines, mountaineers, paratroopers all used the same generic soldierman sprite, with counters you could actually tell them apart. For me at least, that's where my affection for counters over sprites comes from.

I played HOI2 and DH with counters on, but that's solely because the unit sprites looked like literal turds, unlike HOI4.

Also HOI2/DH/iirc 3 had this completely logical and totally aesthetically-pleasing problem with counters: http://believableworlds.tumblr.com/image/136820258055

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gfanikf posted:

Is there a reason chemical weapons aren't modeled in Hearts of Iron? I don't think it's one of the taboo things (ie weirdos with why can't I have SimDachu). Is it that in the end it would be a pita to model counter measures to make it more detailed then just an artillery bonus and/or morale hit for defenders?

Ostensibly because warcrimes aren't modeled, but gas attack is present in Victoria 2, so who knows.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lawman 0 posted:

Russia just went bankrupt and is about to fall to the communists should I go snag something off the far east from them or will the soon-to-be ussr crush me if I do that?
(I'm Japan)

In my experience, countries don't stay communist/fascist for very long. Either they'll have a successful revolution that flips them the other way before the new regime has enough time to build an army that can defend itself, or they'll have a Jacobin revolution and then stay a democracy for the rest of the game.

I'd take the chance, as long as Russia had no allies anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Watching the Angry Joe HOI4 preview right now. I'm noticing again something that I've seen several times before: why does the game refer to WW2 as the "German-Polish War"? Does that eventually change to just "World War 2" or something like that after it becomes clear that this isn't just a normal regional war or conflicts that aren't related to the world war?

It will be kinda annoying to have the war referred to as the "German-Polish War" in like 1944.

Edit: oh man as pumped as I am for this game, I gotta say that the animated plane movement looks kinda awful. Love the idea, but they don't turn in ways that... like... are physically possible (it seems the models rotate around an axis that is located far outside the physical body of the plane).

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mans posted:

with counters there'd be no problems of planes flying like UFOs :)

Stop.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Re-watching some Blorg videos. Where exactly is cKnoor from? I've been trying to figure out his accent (as a non-British person) for ages.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Riso posted:

Blood bowl.

He is from the country of Blood Bowl, yes. That green and pleasant land.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DStecks posted:

Is it a common thing for Europeans to have a slightly British element to their English speech? Because I noticed in a talk by Rami Ismail that even though he's Dutch, his accent sounded more British, and then I thought "well duh, Europeans would probably learn to speak British English... right?" Same as Canadians learn to speak Quebecois French. But I'd never definitely noticed it with anybody else, so maybe I'm completely mistaken?

I've lived in Europe (Germany) for four years now and I've only really heard it a handful of times, and in all of those cases it was because either that person had married a British person and picked up some of their accent in their English, or they've spent a considerable amount of time in the UK.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If I were to take a day of flex time for a Paradox game release (Stellaris and/or HOI4), what time of day does Paradox generally push out their releases to Steam? From experience I want to say they do it before the normal Steam update time of 10am Pacific time (i.e. they deploy it live while the business day is still active in Sweden), but I'm not completely sure. tl;dr I don't know if I should take launch day or the day after.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Day after it is!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Funky Valentine posted:

Better Germany mod

Carefully renamed as "Black ICE"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I already play CK2 and EU4 with Sabaton in the background generally, so nothing really changes for me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GaussianCopula posted:

Paradox should publish a statistic one month after the game is released with a % of playtime spent with each nation. I'm pretty confident that Germany will be by far the most popular, which means random events that tell you that your country is actually efficient are not that much fun, especially given that fact that you are controlling stuff like production and for many players their goal is to outperform the Nazis.

I thought they previously stated that some kind of market research or whatever had determined that a majority of players did play as Germany, but that statistic is almost completely meaningless in a world where people like playing games as the historical losing side to see if they can beat the "challenge" of history.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'll probably either do France, Italy, or my perennial favorite that I always come back to for some reason, Canada.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Was with you up until your first comma and then it slid off the rails real fast. :stare:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kavak posted:

Since we were just talking about Kaiserreich...

Hell yeah, the most fun I've had with Darkest Hour was in a Kaiserreich game as a democratic but expansionist Japan. It owned. I created the Co-Prosperity Sphere, then I joined the Entente and liberated Great Britain against the syndicalists.

Edit: oh and Delhi was my puppet, since Bartiya had previously succeeded in uniting the subcontinent.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I actually enjoy playing Britain in HOI, sorta. The only real issue is that you constantly feel like you're overextended since you have to defend a massive empire, but when playing against the AI you almost never have to actually fight the Japanese in Burma, meaning your only real land war outside of continental Europe should be against the Italians in North Africa. In previous HOI2 incarnations this was generally pretty manageable, we'll see how that theater works out in HOI4.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tahirovic posted:

Since some of you here actually have a clue about history, is Christopher Clark rated as a good author/source for history books? Looking at Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 because it seems to be one of the best rated books about Prussia.

History books are hard, you need a different author for every topic or you'll suddenly be reading about God Emperor Chiang Kai-Shek and his achievements during his prosperous rule.

It's a well-regarded book, and Chris Clark is a well-regarded historian (and one of the best current scholars of modern Germany in general) who is innovative without being outright contrarian. He's one of the major voices against the old Sonderweg hypothesis of German history (that Nazi Germany was the inevitable culmination of hundreds of years of German history leading up to it) and generally provides a much more modern and objective view of German history compared to some of the other major 20th century scholars of German history like A.J.P. Taylor, etc.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doesn't help that Kaiser Wilhelm II was kinda... not the kind of person you wanted to be in charge of Europe's premiere rising economy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Narrator posted:

Do the Scottish-dominated UK from Wiz's Azerbaijan game (is that the right source?)

Hohenzollern, I think.

But rebuilding mods for some of the more famous goon LP's of old (Hohenzollern, Jerusalem, maybe Texas) would be pretty neat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oberleutnant posted:

From what I've heard HoI scenario modding has always been a huge pain because the games are basically scripted to within an inch of their lives.

HOI4 promises to be much more EU-like in its scripting.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Stellaris went up for pre-order on Steam.

Normal Pre-Order ($39):
  • "Send your name to space" gimmick where they write your name on some weather balloon or something.
  • Blorg forum avatar
  • Mobile ringtones
  • "Creatures of the Void" racial cosmetic pack DLC which include some really awesome ones like: Hydra/Xenomorph, Evil Porcupine, Dinosaur Bird, Shadowy Anthropoid and Fungoid Infected Mammalian

Digital Deluxe "Nova" Edition Pre-Order ($49):
  • Everything included in the normal pre-order tier
  • 2.5 hour soundtrack
  • Forum icon
  • Exclusive alien cosmetic DLC (space spiders)

Collector's "Galaxy" Edition Pre-Order ($69):
  • Everything in previous two tiers
  • Stellaris novel by Steven Savile (e-book)
  • Digital collector's art book
  • Signed desktop wallpaper
  • A unique forum avatar that looks like a spacefrog
  • A different forum icon

Everyone hurry up and pre-order so you can cancel it at the drop of a hat!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What kind of National Dogs do the various Kaiserreich nations get

i mean sure Germany will have a shepherd, what does commune of france get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm actually now thinking I might do the UK as my first HOI4 game, and going all-in on sending as many troops as possible to France for the British Expeditionary Force. I've done UK games of HOI2 and Darkest Hour plenty of times before, but I've never gone whole-hog on committing anything to French defense -- in fact I usually keep Britain completely out of the land war on the continent until a bit later in the war. I imagine if I throw everything into it, France and I could have a good chance.

Would probably be more fun as a two-player game with France and UK played by buddies though.