Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Until there's a dev diary on straits I refuse to believe Imperator is real :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Really the only time war crimes have been addressed well in a wargame was in DG's Barbarossa, where you were not only a field marshal who had to actually come up with war plans and a bureaucrat who had to keep his underlings happy, but also would be faced with how much to cooperate with the ever-increasing number of genocides under your command, or refuse to cooperate and take the in-game political penalty for angering your Nazi peers/overlords. It is entirely possible to "win" the game but then be killed as the result of a war crimes tribunal. Or you can ignore all that and live the dream of A Clean Wehrmacht.

It works in Barbarossa precisely because you're not set as the architect of genocide, but the middle manager forced to work around it. There's really no ethical way to give people a "choice" to kill millions of people in a fit of racist psychosis.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 18, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Only of tangential relevance, but if you've followed the White Wolf follies at all (essentially the new Vampire the Masquerade reboot kept flirting with alt-right edgelordiness), Paradox today reminded everyone very forcefully who actually owns the company.

quote:

My name is Shams Jorjani, VP of Business Development at Paradox Interactive and interim manager at White Wolf Publishing. I wanted to inform you of some changes that will be implemented at White Wolf, starting immediately.

quote:

In practical terms, White Wolf will no longer function as a separate entity. The White Wolf team will be restructured and integrated directly into Paradox Interactive.

quote:

Going forward, White Wolf will focus on brand management. This means White Wolf will develop the guiding principles for its vision of the World of Darkness, and give licensees the tools they need to create new, excellent products in this story world. White Wolf will no longer develop and publish these products internally.

https://www.white-wolf.com/newsblog/a-message-from-white-wolf?fbclid=IwAR3ANz4NAcfPl3ikYxvgZIiOiQ_ZwnU7UnS1MLdrijrKDRgJBgbcEUc9fCk

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Sheesh, that's pretty brutal.

And also (imho) entirely called for and necessary. "Toxic" doesn't begin to cover edgelordy crap like this.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

What was the chechnya chapter that the blog post refers to

Ramzan Kadryov is literally a vampire and the concentration camps for gays are a "diversion".

Yeah.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
btw, part of why the hammer was so heavy is that, um, this is an actual news story in Russia

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3800037
https://tass.ru/obschestvo/5798487

quote:

"This is the shameless behavior of various dealers who deceive people with illusions. We are in a state of information war. I do not exclude – and this probability is large enough – that we will apply to the courts," Umarov said. A negative mention of Chechnya, the minister said, appeared in the game due to the fact that the republic consistently upholds traditional values ​​and explicitly expresses "its position on depravity and licentiousness."

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hremsfeld posted:

Well first and foremost, they're going to stop them from pushing far-right bullshit, and the rest can be figured out later.

I've heard rumors that Mark Rein*Hagen, weird-punctuation-not-a-typo, currently-hanging-out-in-post-Soviet-Georgia was responsible via contract for the worst of the new writing but most people blame someone named Martin "Swedracula" Ericsson, who apparently does not mind having the worst nickname ever. The SA WoD thread is probably the best place for this sort of gossip tho.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435

which has this great summary

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's honestly astonishing that paradox, a company that regularly puts out historical games where existing nations battle it out, has finally created an international incident and it's via their vampire rpg side- property.

Since this all blew up the Russians/Chechens had a press conference!

Foglet posted:

Well, the press conference is over.
TL/DR:
1. The Chechen side is still thirsting for blood :drac: (including litigation against Paradox and specifically those authors who were personally responsible).
2. The Russian guys in charge of localizing V20 are more or less pardoned (of stuff they had nothing to do with in the first place) provided they
a) assist to the best of their abilities in finding the culprits, and
b) possibly do a book of their own painting Chechnya in the best light or arrange for the perpetrating company to do such book (by way of apology).

I eagerly await the World of Darkness: Great Hero Kadyrov sourcebook where Dear Leader Ramzan saves young ladies from western vampires, punches tigers in the face, and turns Grozny into Wakanda.

Demiurge4 posted:

I originally assumed they'd make a variant of CK2 with it, but now I dunno.

CK2 already has immortal satanist cults in the main game though! Not QUITE vampires but it's vampire-adjacent.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 25, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, Stellaris is good now. I knew waiting would pay off.

Stellaris is basically a simpler version of Victoria in space now. Definitely a learning curve if you expect the economy to act anything like previous versions.

If you're at all on the fence, holding off on actually purchasing the DLC for now is a perfectly cromulent choice. You get the economy revamp for free and the marquee feature (Megacorps) is still in active balancing/bug fix mode. Also avoid machine empires until they get patched (shouldn't be long) - Paradox has acknowledged they got hit by the nerf stick too hard.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 11, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

I think it's just that development for Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour is going open source.

this. They've been complaining that no one is working on the DH version of the mod for a while now; considering what a trainreck HOI4 Kaiserreich has been lately it's not much of a surprise? Basically, they're making a big to-do over publishing their github repo.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Drone posted:

also apparently there are rumors floating around in those threads about one of the shooters having "kebab removed" etched into his gun. What a truly fantastic community this is, all filled with very fine people.

quote:

In the manifesto, Tarrant refers to himself as a “kebab removalist,” which appears to be a reference to a meme that gained steam in the early 2000s. The meme is a reference to ethnic cleansing, according to Know Your Meme. In particular, a “kebab removalist” aims to cleanse the land of any and all adherents to the Islamic faith. En route to commit mass murder, Tarrant also appeared to listen to “Serbia Strong,” a song which originated the “kebab removalist” meme.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/mosque-shooter-manifesto-memes/

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I had to search for this Aurora

Seems like a game for real autists

Calling Aurora a "game" is a stretch. It's more like an Excel mod.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
i think this is aimed at us a bit

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1121396220126212096

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Here's the CK2 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093

DLC recommendations are in the second post. Please feel free to ask any questions that inevitably arise during gameplay (the mechanics can be a bit opaque), we are a very helpful bunch.

I had a brief list of CK2 DLC in the OP but just linked to your recommendations instead since they're considerably better!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
look if you're gonna go evil, lean into it hard

World of Tanks sells golden bullets, EU4 should too. Your armies dying too quickly just because they're outnumbered, never drilled, and are still using spears? Buy FUNBUX and roll over your enemies in MP! Plus, anytime you lose, you can just accuse your opponent of using funbux.

I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I now non-ironically demand a synthwave video to accompany every DLC.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Thank you so very much for this treasure of the internet, kind goon.

Avirosb posted:

My liege,

I write to you with shocking news! Jacob Wohl
tried to have me assassinated to make sure I wouldn't
discover his plot to Kill Jacob Wohl.

Your humble spymaster,
Jacob Wohl

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, actually, it was changed last October and no one remember to change it back :effort:

I’ve asked! Alas, dead gay comedy forum is dead.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dramicus posted:

And how would you expect a normal person to know that? I'm afraid I can't say I'm up to date on genocide songs.

because a mass shooter literally used it as his walk-on theme before killing dozens of helpless people and it was all over the news.

and yeah, this is the exact same trolling dude did in the EU4 thread. I didn't gift him the avie but it's earned in blood (and soil).

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

You know it's terrible, but "mass shooter who was all over the news" is not a short list of people anymore. Not recalling details of them is not unreasonable.

This was the one who wrote "remove kebab" along with dozens of other ~~sassy memes~~ on his rifles and played the song on his livestream, if that helps.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
VIsit Moscow or St. Petersburg and see for yourself.

http://15kop.ru/en/

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I'd always heard that the olds in charge of the ussr were kind of dismissive of electronic computers and kept them as a middling priority until the late 70s

The Soviets actually thought that computers would be the salvation of the command economy; the problem was that they were always a decade behind the curve in implementation and also, as this video (which is a fascinating watch if you're into Soviet history and have 45 minutes to kill) and Victoria 2 both adequately demonstrate, a functioning economy is beyond the ability of a computer program to control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's just a hair too long. I can only get as far as "Paradox Grand Strategy: I'm going to die of disappoint if they don't announce Vicky 3"

That should be fine, since that state is also everlasting.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
As someone who’s worked in game dev for almost 20 years (dear god that is depressing) the only thing that leaps out from those Glassdoor posts are the sexual harassment accusations. Sadly QA often gets pooped on - it also gets a lot of entry level people who don’t fit in for whatever reason so sometimes Glassdoor complaints need to be taken with that in mind.

The real crime is all that Swedish speaking in Sweden, clearly.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Senior Dog posted:

So if you were told the place you'd be working at used English as its working language, had to apparently pay your own way over there, and then found out that actually they speak Swedish a lot in work conversations you'd be okay huh. That's cool but hopefully you can find the empathy somewhere in your bones to understand why others would see that as a problem

I have enough “empathy in my bones” to not expect an entire company to ever speak their native tongue in order to accommodate my monolingual self.

(If Paradox doesn’t pay for people to relocate that is unusual and will block them from a considerable amount of talent, btw)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

if in real history a disembodied spirit had taken complete control of the roman state in the 1400's and had unlimited retrys it would have eventually managed to turn things around at least once

(the only way this could happen in RL is if the Council of Florence actually succeeded in ending the church schism - which would never have happened - and Venice had sent a naval force capable of blocking the straits - which they had the opportunity to and passed on - and the battle of Lepanto happened a century early.

so, totally possible!)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 3, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

RNW needs another pass at the generator. I want it to make landmasses roughly the same size as what exists not....stringy islands that are super small.

Nonsense, the RNW does very realistic landmasses

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
"Oh, look, a bunch of posts in the Paradox thread! Did Vicky 3 get announced?"

(reads 3 pages of Marxist theory)

"I.... think so?"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Here's the Imperator thread, but it doesn't see a lot of traffic:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887704

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, apparently Imperator is heading towards a 2.0 "We fixed the game now!" release.

Patch description: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-dd-101-a-most-auspicious-number.1428183/
Expansion pack description (focusing on the Diadochi) https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/imperator-dev-diary-heirs-of-alexander.1444015/

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 3, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Why did they use a ck2 screenshot...

because ck3 wasn't out in 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
In EU4 playing as a mercantile nation that concentrates on colonies and trade routes is a very viable path to success. Portugal is a good new player friendly nation to try this with (keep Spain friendly and you can effectively just dabble in colonies and trading posts forever), England is also good if you can get past the initial clusterfuck of the War of the Roses and uniting the UK. You'll probably need some DLC. (Art of War you'll want regardless, Wealth of Nations and Res Publica add features for merchant republics, El Dorado if you go heavy on colonizing the Americas)

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Portugal

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 19, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There's also Victoria 2 if you want to try to understand a trade system no one can possibly understand.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Red Flood

if you're going to do alternate joke universes, gotta do the best one: Red World. All power to the soviets under General Secretary Bernie Sanders!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2166453693

(The original author passed away; this is a newer version updated for the latest HOI4 patch)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

i'm steve

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

What is NWW?

I assume New White Wolf, which published a Vampire rulebook that was so bad it started a literal international incident that forced Paradox to take over running the company directly.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/16/18098929/white-wolf-controversy-paradox-interactive-new-ceo

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Well now I really have to think whether I want to buy CK3. I was turned off by the 3D figures and stuff, but if it's a superior game in mechanics and immersion... hmmm...

The 3D figures are about as noticeable as in any other Paradox game (not very unless you look specifically for them). CK3 is definitely one of Paradox's better releases (if not the best) of the past few years.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-10-12-paradox-the-subject-of-additional-reports-of-discrimination

quote:

"I have been to meetings where I'm the only woman in the room," one woman told Eurogamer, "and I say 'Hey, I really think we should go this direction, based on my experience', and someone looks at me, and they say, 'You know what, you're just here as a token hire. So I think you should be quiet about this.'"

:yikes:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

For real? That's pretty cool, I hadn't realized it was that successful!

There's not a lot of competition. From SteamCharts monthly average players:

Stellaris 12,986
Sins of a Solar Empire 618
Endless Space 2 569
Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 332
Master of Orion 297
Galactic Civilizations 3 289
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock 73
Distant Worlds: Universe 32
Sword of the Stars 25
Space Empires 5 18
AI War 2 15
Polaris Sector 8
Stellar Monarch 4

Some of these are more properly RTS games, some are old (REALLY old in some cases) but Stellaris really does have the space 4X genre to itself for all practical purposes.

This also doesn't take into account console players at all - no idea how Stellaris for consoles is doing but it REALLY has that space all to itself

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 17, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Wiz posted:

I didn't take it as a dunk or anything, don't worry, just trying to explain that Stellaris is meant to be different and having to maintain a story mode would take resources away from the randomness that is at the core of the game, so it's a purposeful choice to not do it.

also, mods exist. The Star Trek New Horizons mod is set in a pre-configured galaxy with 50 years worth of storytelling chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

yikes! posted:

This is not even close to true.

yeah, as mentioned above the German economy was in an equally bad shape if not worse; the war didn't end because Americans marched over the Rhine, it ended because Germany collapsed into a revolution because its workers were starving. Tanks were also about to finally crack open trenches as seen in the battle of Cambrai, which happened independently of US involvement. Germans were far behind Britain in tank development.