Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Aphrodite posted:

This game would have been over a year into development by the time Unity came out, so they can't just stop like that.

If they were going to slow things down, it would always be 1 game later.

I'd be fine with them slowing the gently caress down (and said as such on the last big survey they sent out), but if they did decide to stop releasing AC games annually, it's probably better that it happens after Syndicate. Unity's biggest flaws were technical issues and the like, and it's very likely that they'll have a much better grasp of how to use the engine in its second game, just like with AC-->AC2 and AC3-->Black Flag. Delaying Syndicate probably wouldn't make much of a difference for Syndicate. We probably won't find out, though, since they're not likely to actually slow down. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So Rogue is the most polished ship combat game then? I thought there was going to be a spin off of the ship combat.

There was a survey released after Black Flag that indicated that Ubisoft was thinking about it, but there's no indication that it went beyond that point.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

AC4 had guns, I assume there are rudimentary ones in this?

More than rudimentary, the game is set in 1868. Jacob has a revolver as part of his kit I believe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The last tv video game show on earth (Canadian) did a special on this game that isn't bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHecmRnw2w

Victor Lucas is usually Mr Everything's Perfect so for him to be mentioning Unity-like bugs this close to launch after getting a free trip to London is pretty interesting.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

The last tv video game show on earth (Canadian) did a special on this game that isn't bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHecmRnw2w

Victor Lucas is usually Mr Everything's Perfect so for him to be mentioning Unity-like bugs this close to launch after getting a free trip to London is pretty interesting.

It would be nice if they got some basic facts right, every time Victor Lucas mentions the date the game is set in he gets it wrong, and I'm not sure Paul Amos will thank Lucas for calling him English.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Did I see it right that at one point the player sneaks behind an enemy and you have to actually fill a button meter instead of an immediate execution like before? gently caress changes like this, adding nothing but tedium.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Palpek posted:

Did I see it right that at one point the player sneaks behind an enemy and you have to actually fill a button meter instead of an immediate execution like before? gently caress changes like this, adding nothing but tedium.

oh man when in the video was this? That looks hilariously terrible.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Iron Rose posted:

oh man when in the video was this? That looks hilariously terrible.
At 16:38, although now that I look at it on a big screen it says 'Knock out: Hold [circle]' so it's probably only for non-lethal strangulation.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

The closest thing to that I could see in the video was at 16:39(ish) where Jacob creeps up on someone then knocks them out, which requires a button hold (which is displayed as a filling meter), rather than an assassination.

I'm pretty sure knock out has always been a button hold, rather than an instant thing like assassinations.

E: beaten!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

This game would have been over a year into development by the time Unity came out, so they can't just stop like that.

If they were going to slow things down, it would always be 1 game later.

Technically not.

According to Ubisoft/everything we've seen and heard, after AssCreed 3 was so poorly received, they pushed back the next game in the series to better "polish" it up, and instead put out Black Flag which was supposed to be a new IP. They just loosely tied it into the Assassins Creed setting to try and salvage the situation.

Rogue was a new game they made off the success of Black Flag, and WAS made in a year, because they reused almost all the assets. Unity was the game that was supposed to come after AssCreed 3, and was originally supposed to come out in 2013.

Syndicate was started after the success of Black Flag, by the Black Flag team. It has no connection to Unity.

I'm guessing an awful lot of Unity's problems came from the jump from last gen to current gen, and the addition of co-op in that year they were supposed to be polishing it up in.

So far each of the teams keep jumping ahead, the AssCreed 1 guys made AssCreed 3, the AssCreed 2 guys made Unity, Black Flag was a new IP showhorned in, and now they are making Syndicate. Brotherhood, Revelations, Liberation, and Rogue were all made by smaller studios as kind of oneoff expansion type deals. I'd say the Black Flag guys are 1 for 1 right now in Assassins Creed games, and maybe being able to start from the beginning with an Assassins Creed game rather then having to turn it into one halfway will be good for them, but then again the AssCreed 2 guys made Unity, so who knows.

They really need to remove the Assassins Creed 1 guys from that rotation though!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And Brotherhood was the best one.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Aphrodite posted:

This is a good post.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Brotherhood was brilliant. I'm going to play that again.

I know some people got burned by Unity and there feel justifiably, well, let's say wary about Syndicate, but I'm pretty excited about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brotherhood has design decisions that were so good that I have no loving idea why they backed off on them.

Like "optional objectives where doing all of them unlocks cheat codes at the end of the chapter." That was fuckin' great. It encouraged you to go for them and they weren't too tedious and it was a steady stream of fun stuff. Then they kept the optional objectives but removed that part and even when they returned to cheat codes they were locked behind tons upon tons of tedious collectables.

You had it right the first time guys!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Some of the full synch requirements were so loving obnoxious, though. I'm sure there's a happy medium, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Black Flag's system of earning cheats through mini-achievements and collectibles. Might be tedious at times, but at least I can actually do it without trying 20 times in a row.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brotherhood had plenty of obnoxious design elements, especially related to the optional objectives (god that loving tank mission). Let's not forget that it was the first game in the series where instant fail stealth became a real problem (I don't remember whether it was in 2, but definitely not as much as in Brotherhood). It was a good game, but it was also the beginning of the end as they started to double down on some of the choices that just resulted in way more tedium. Remember when AC was supposed to be a free-form assassination game and not a super-linear collectathon full of Facebook minigames?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hakkesshu posted:

Remember when AC was supposed to be a free-form assassination game and not a super-linear collectathon full of Facebook minigames?

Honestly, no.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No. You're thinking of Hitman.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I liked the original Assassin's Creed precisely because of its linearity vis-a-vis its mission progression. Maybe it was a little too hand-holdy but it was far less intimidating to me than the Hitman series was.

But yeah, the collectathons have always been some of the worst aspects of the game, at least they reined it in a little and gave you a checklist/markers, gently caress Templar flags

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

effervescible posted:

Some of the full synch requirements were so loving obnoxious, though. I'm sure there's a happy medium, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Black Flag's system of earning cheats through mini-achievements and collectibles. Might be tedious at times, but at least I can actually do it without trying 20 times in a row.

Full synch requirements are still part of unlocking all cheats in Black Flag though!

Hakkesshu posted:

Remember when AC was supposed to be a free-form assassination game and not a super-linear collectathon full of Facebook minigames?

Not in the slightest. I can't think of an AC that was really non-linear except for certain assassination objectives which themselves were pretty gated.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 2, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

They can't make assassinations totally free-form because of the framing device Ubisoft stupidly trapped themselves in with the Animus because everything needs to have happened in a rather specific way or you'll desync.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I liked the original Assassin's Creed precisely because of its linearity vis-a-vis its mission progression. Maybe it was a little too hand-holdy but it was far less intimidating to me than the Hitman series was.

But yeah, the collectathons have always been some of the worst aspects of the game, at least they reined it in a little and gave you a checklist/markers, gently caress Templar flags

I don't mean freeform like in Hitman, but more like a sandbox where you didn't get penalized for playing a specific way. Arguably the only good thing about the design in the first game was the main assassinations where they gave you a fair number of ways to go about your mission. Somewhere down the line they got way too focused on telling bad stories and taking away any sense of agency.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They can't make assassinations totally free-form because of the framing device Ubisoft stupidly trapped themselves in with the Animus because everything needs to have happened in a rather specific way or you'll desync.

The Animus framing device is not some insurmountable iron wall and a decent writer could justify a framework for open gameplay within a determinant narrative. So not probably going to happen with Ubi, but...

"Hey Jojo, this Animus fragment has a lot of non-coding DNA in it, to unlock the MacGuffin you have to do X to achieve sync but there are many ways to get there"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They still have those, they're just not the plot ones anymore.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

ImpAtom posted:

Full synch requirements are still part of unlocking all cheats in Black Flag though!

Right, but you can unlock a poo poo ton of the cheats without getting 100% synch. I'd have to go check, but I think only the skeleton crew cheat (admittedly the best cheat) is tied to full synch, but I know I got a ton of them just by playing the game and not repeating missions or specifically doing a collect-a-thon. It's still not ideal, but I like that method better. Plus I felt like Black Flag's synch requirements were more forgiving than in the previous games, though that is very subjective.

ImpAtom posted:

Not in the slightest. I can't think of an AC that was really non-linear except for certain assassination objectives which themselves were pretty gated.

The "black box" missions in Unity with different ways of approaching the big targets were a good step toward providing more options, though. I hope Syndicate has more of them. Honestly, the series is never going to be fully free-form when it comes to the assassinations, and it never has been. But a few extra paths toward the same destination are nice to have.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The Irish accents in Rogue are really grating. Cool game though.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

The Irish accents in Rogue are really grating. Cool game though.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about those accents. They are pretty shocking aren't they?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't mean freeform like in Hitman, but more like a sandbox where you didn't get penalized for playing a specific way. Arguably the only good thing about the design in the first game was the main assassinations where they gave you a fair number of ways to go about your mission. Somewhere down the line they got way too focused on telling bad stories and taking away any sense of agency.

i feel like unity tried to go that route in some ways and in some ways worked. they got rid of the follow this dude tasks and the instafail stealth which is great. the problem was the game was a technical mess.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rookersh posted:

Technically not.

According to Ubisoft/everything we've seen and heard, after AssCreed 3 was so poorly received, they pushed back the next game in the series to better "polish" it up, and instead put out Black Flag which was supposed to be a new IP. They just loosely tied it into the Assassins Creed setting to try and salvage the situation.

This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. In fact I heard that the ship combat for AC4 was already in development when AC3 was being worked on, so they worked an early version of it into 3, which is why it felt a little shoehorned in.

Do you have a source that Unity was supposed to come after 3 and was pushed back? Or that AC4 was originally an original title? I'd love to read it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Does this game have the ability to summon ninjas at will? If not, then it's not as good as Brotherhood.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The most obnoxious element of Brotherhood was how drat artificial the whole thing felt. I mean you have the mercenary boss assassination target, the spy boss assassination target and the mage orgy priest boss assassination target. And to help you you have the mercenaries, thieves and prostitutes. I liked the free-ish form stuff :(

E : Or hell, even in the dark days of AC1 you still uncovered how each target had a part to play in a bigger story. Brotherhood was just pope gay. so kill

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Speedball posted:

Does this game have the ability to summon ninjas at will? If not, then it's not as good as Brotherhood.

Amen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Strategic Tea posted:

The most obnoxious element of Brotherhood was how drat artificial the whole thing felt. I mean you have the mercenary boss assassination target, the spy boss assassination target and the mage orgy priest boss assassination target. And to help you you have the mercenaries, thieves and prostitutes. I liked the free-ish form stuff :(

E : Or hell, even in the dark days of AC1 you still uncovered how each target had a part to play in a bigger story. Brotherhood was just pope gay. so kill

it felt like it was supposed to be an expansion pack of 2.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it felt like it was supposed to be an expansion pack of 2.

Pretty sure most of the single player was just stuff they'd originally planned to have in 2, but got cut.

Maybe not the entire sprawling roman countryside, but I'm pretty sure Rome was supposed to play a larger role in 2 than it did. Hence the timejumps and corrupted (but eventually added back in) memories.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm sure Brotherhood is actually, technically better than 2 if you had to put them side by side and play them today, but it did give me diminishing returns, and in hindsight 2 was the last game in the series I was entirely enamored with. It just felt like such an improvement on the first game and the story was really fun and crazy and the characters were likeable.

Brotherhood is essentially the same game with more stuff added on top, and although it did a lot of creative stuff like that one mission where you take part in the passion play, the overall story felt largely superfluous, and the added systems made everything feel more mechanical and rigid.

Revelations I did not like at all, it's better than 3 but not by much.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm disappointed they didn't arbitrarily decide that everyone in the game should speak with a french accent for Syndicate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I am going to play Unity in French audio with subtitles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I loving loved Black Flag, but I think it was more for the environments. Exploring the lush green jungles and beaches of the Caribbean was a blast. I even liked most of the Assassin stuff. The eavesdrop missions were too many and too annoying but I was surprisingly addicted to that game for a long time despite me still not having finished Brotherhood. I always get to the part where you have to destroy the war machines and I just stop playing.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Speedball posted:

I have this vague memory of reading somewhere you could summon members of your cockney urchin gang. I'll see if i can find anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
It's a stupid little thing, but something I really liked about Brotherhood more than AC2 was that I could hop out of the Animus at any time and parkour around as Desmond (Although there wasn't actually anything to do).

• Locked thread