Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Something that I had somehow missed about Syndicate is that your Assassin's Hideout is a train. A train!

Also, this:

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Something that I had somehow missed about Syndicate is that your Assassin's Hideout is a train. A train!

Also, this:

Calling Bozza to the AC thread. Also, I'm trying not to get excited for this. I'm waiting until at least Christmas to pick it up so that I can get an idea of a) how broken it is, and b) how bad the story is. I want to like it, but Unity really spoiled it all for me. Also, I'm not thrilled by the fact the inventory system seems to be following in its footsteps, even given the amusing info.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

Calling Bozza to the AC thread. Also, I'm trying not to get excited for this. I'm waiting until at least Christmas to pick it up so that I can get an idea of a) how broken it is, and b) how bad the story is. I want to like it, but Unity really spoiled it all for me. Also, I'm not thrilled by the fact the inventory system seems to be following in its footsteps, even given the amusing info.

Sadly it's far too late for me not to be excited about it, so I shall take the hit in terms of a) potential broken-ness and b) potential terrible story. I really didn't like the way you had all those different trousers and coats and gloves etc etc in Unity, I'm pretty sure that's been mostly done away with, in terms of clothing at least, so you still get a variety of weapons but fewer meaningless hat choices.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Sadly it's far too late for me not to be excited about it, so I shall take the hit in terms of a) potential broken-ness and b) potential terrible story. I really didn't like the way you had all those different trousers and coats and gloves etc etc in Unity, I'm pretty sure that's been mostly done away with, in terms of clothing at least, so you still get a variety of weapons but fewer meaningless hat choices.

I said try, but I know I'm going to invariably pick it up as soon as I'm finished with Rogue, because I can't quit this horrible series. I just want one 'no war but class war' style quote :3:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

I said try, but I know I'm going to invariably pick it up as soon as I'm finished with Rogue, because I can't quit this horrible series. I just want one 'no war but class war' style quote :3:

I'm just hoping you can burn down a hipster cereal cafe.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I liked the choices, since they let me be more strategic about mission approaches. Infiltration? Wear the sweet Phantom outfit. Battle? Musketeers or Military outfits.

Just wish that it was more of a straight upgrade path instead of 6 or so levels to one line of gear.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Seems like Steam has a sale on "stealth games" and for some reason it includes most of the AC series:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/stealth_sale/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always fall for the stupid loving hype on this series. I've bought everyone but only beat 2. But i'm getting hyped for this ugh.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Kopijeger posted:

Seems like Steam has a sale on "stealth games" and for some reason it includes most of the AC series:

Has Rogue gone on sale ever?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

Has Rogue gone on sale ever?

It's $18 on uPlay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I am going the story will be ok at least. every time they ever tried to make a super serious assassins creed with no humor at all it turned out bad. (1,3 and unity) the characters seem likable enough and the villain/hero dynamic is simple like in 2/brotherhood. glitchs are up in the air and so is combat.

also new trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yEh3r35II yeah it forrest gumpy but so was 2, brotherhood and revelations and 4, its just no body remembers the pazi conspiracy and sulyman the magnificent and Benjamin hornigold.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 14, 2015

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sylphid posted:

Have there been any screenshots of the Baker Street outfit? That's one of the main reasons I preordered the Gold Edition.

Wait, did you seriously pre-order the rip-off version of a Ubisoft game for an in-game item you hadn't seen? :stare:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's $18 on uPlay.

Oh, nice. I didn't see it on that Steam sale page. $18 is pretty solid for Rogue.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also new trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yEh3r35II yeah it forrest gumpy but so was 2, brotherhood and revelations and 4, its just no body remembers the pazi conspiracy and sulyman the magnificent and Benjamin hornigold.

:laffo: The folks joking about Queen Victoria being an Assassin got it right! This is gonna be the best or the best trainwreck. No in-between

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Oh cool Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is on sale?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

Well, they are ostensibly games that require or encourage stealthiness.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

HaitianDivorce posted:

:laffo: The folks joking about Queen Victoria being an Assassin got it right! This is gonna be the best or the best trainwreck. No in-between

This isn't new info though.

I'm pretty sure prior glyphs revealed she had an Apple of Eden. I don't think she was an assassin though.

Not sure why people are getting worked up about historical figures showing up. They always have in these games...its just the people showing up weren't "common knowledge" figures. I'm sure to someone who studied Renaissance Italy, 2 and Brohood are just as Forest-Gump-history.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

More historical figures means more historical figures to high five and/or hug :3:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
If you failed to hug Leonardo you need to quit video games forever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This is going to be the most Forrest Gumped AC ever, they will be unable to have one cutscene without a brass knuckle fight against a famous writer, every beggar will be a member of the Royal Family in disguise, there will be memes with words switched to fit the historical period.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

They should do one of those murder mystery sidequests where the victim's face has been all cut off and they look like the busted people from Unity

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Snuffman posted:

This isn't new info though.

I'm pretty sure prior glyphs revealed she had an Apple of Eden. I don't think she was an assassin though.

Not sure why people are getting worked up about historical figures showing up. They always have in these games...its just the people showing up weren't "common knowledge" figures. I'm sure to someone who studied Renaissance Italy, 2 and Brohood are just as Forest-Gump-history.

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely exaggerating about Queen Victoria out-and-out shanking motherfuckers but it's still so goddamn goofy that the game seems to have had its characters picked by opening up a textbook to a description of Victorian London and sucking out all the proper nouns.

It just feels like such a producer-mandated thing. "Oh, our consumers really liked it when we included Leonardo da Vinci in our game set in Renaissance Italy, so why don't we include literally everyone that people might associate with London circa 1880? :downs:"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People see thing they don't recognize, it's eh. People see poo poo they do recognize and it makes them feel smart or something. It's why every piece of DLC or pre-order stuff has a name that you will drat sure recognize.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Palpek posted:

This is going to be the most Forrest Gumped AC ever, they will be unable to have one cutscene without a brass knuckle fight against a famous writer, every beggar will be a member of the Royal Family in disguise, there will be memes with words switched to fit the historical period.

Oh no, Queen Victoria is gonna say "keep calm and carry on" at some point isn't she

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"We are not amused."

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's not like this is new, either. In AC1, all of Altair's targets are either real historical figures or stand-ins, and of course both Al Mualim and King Richard were real guys. It's just that fewer people recognize namedrops from the time period.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I'll be the first to poo poo on AC and Ubisoft's embodiment of cynical bullshit, but honestly the best writing this series has produced is when it's self-aware of its absurdity and just embraces it in cool dumb ways. Unity's story was boring loving trash because it barely utilized the big things most people know about that time period, and when it did "utilize" them it was in the most dull way possible.

There's a bunch of poo poo that will always, always be mandated in this series, it's up to the devs saddled with those mandates to try to make them work. You know what other game made it so you could play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with its conspirators and pop conspiracies? Deus Ex, and it loving owned. Granted, that's also because they weren't forced to make it so it can neatly fit into an annualized franchise, so it could actually, you know, end, but the point is you can make this dumb poo poo be surprisingly engaging.

Regardless of how entertaining the story is, though, it'll still be great fun to sit through needlessly unskippable cutscenes, or if they stop being pretentious about cramming their ~vision~ down our throats that way, they'll still find a way to have overlong walk'n'talks or rigid instafail tailing missions or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's a really cool interview with the architctural consultant of AC2 which shows how they were researching the time period: http://www.archdaily.com/774210/maria-elisa-navarro-the-architectural-consultant-for-assassins-creed-ii

quote:

Another aspect we dealt with was the look of the buildings -- they were modeling, and I would meet with them periodically to verify the accuracy of the historical reconstruction. Sometimes, for gameplay purposes, they needed to have walls with a lot of texture so that Ezio could climb them, but when the time came to lay those parts out, there were some inaccuracies. For example, I remember a balcony with a wrought iron railing that couldn't have existed in that time period. I was responsible for detecting those issues.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I actually really miss the laid-back AC poo poo. after playing MGSV and mad max, I do miss just being in a big city with tons of people and clambering around roofs, climbing giant clock towers and poo poo. I haven't had that experience since AC2 and didnt play another since AC4, which was fun but made me miss grand architecture--AC4's mudhuts and plantations didnt do it for me. I'd love for Syndicate to be a good game but I've heard it's technically rough and lovely which sucks.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

MinibarMatchman posted:

I actually really miss the laid-back AC poo poo. after playing MGSV and mad max, I do miss just being in a big city with tons of people and clambering around roofs, climbing giant clock towers and poo poo. I haven't had that experience since AC2 and didnt play another since AC4, which was fun but made me miss grand architecture--AC4's mudhuts and plantations didnt do it for me. I'd love for Syndicate to be a good game but I've heard it's technically rough and lovely which sucks.

I'm reserving judgment until there's actually a proper review out and not just previews based on an unfinished product, personally.

(Though it wouldn't surprise me if it's Unity all over again.)

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
New videos:

Lambeth
https://youtu.be/JUojoruiDfs

The Thames
https://youtu.be/5XSeNlSP_Uo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For those that haven't played Dying Light, the movement system is more or less first person Assassins Creed. In some ways it's even better than Mirrors Edge in that department.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

There's a really cool interview with the architctural consultant of AC2 which shows how they were researching the time period: http://www.archdaily.com/774210/maria-elisa-navarro-the-architectural-consultant-for-assassins-creed-ii

thats neat.

oh poo poo they brought bar songs/shanties back. I remember them talking about that in one of earlier videos.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
When I played AC1, I was caught up in clues and conspiracy pointing to something amazing happening in 2012, and I kept playing the games towards that goal. The Italy arc really seemed like it would lead to a huge payoff. Then we got AC3's ending, killing the overall arc. I guess I'm admitting I liked the modern storyline. Before it was running and climbing and stabbing for a hugely important reason. Now it's just running and climbing and stabbing because Ubisoft thinks it has a cash engine. They should bring back that guy who had an idea of which way to go with the franchise.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do we think this will have actual out of animus stuff? I missed it in Unity. I enjoyed the game dev office thing from Black Flag and Rogue. It's been a while since they had proper out of animus sections like the old games had.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Uplay Challenges/Rewards leaked and Karl Marx has a motherfucking mission chain YES

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The Uplay Challenges/Rewards leaked and Karl Marx has a motherfucking mission chain YES

he is in the trailers.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yEh3r35II

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh poo poo they brought bar songs/shanties back. I remember them talking about that in one of earlier videos.

Yeah this year they're doing murder ballads, which will be amazing.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
All of the district videos are here:

http://eaglevisionlondon.com

each with a different song. I like the Whitechapel one the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pork Pie Hat posted:

All of the district videos are here:

http://eaglevisionlondon.com

each with a different song. I like the Whitechapel one the best.

All I get when I link there is a making-of video on Youtube.

• Locked thread