Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nope. they never talk about the modern times segments. allegedly they are trying to make it either like 4 or they may go for a real gameplay.

They've ALWAYS been coy about the modern world stuff (at least since 2.) Honestly I wish they'd just drop it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be honest I always liked the pure crunch of Unity, but my main issue was it did jack poo poo with its setting. Seems like this takes (and refines) the crunch but, ya know, pays attention to the setting, so it's a match made in heaven on paper.

On paper.

Come on Ubisoft just don't be bad and you win for me!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mokinokaro posted:

They've ALWAYS been coy about the modern world stuff (at least since 2.) Honestly I wish they'd just drop it entirely.

first 40 min of the game are up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_83Ed_H2KU

as of right now it looks like its the Unity root again.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 18, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Seems to be a bit more than that Shaun and Rebecca are back at least

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

indeed. Allegedly there will be playable modern sections.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dapper_Swindler posted:

first 40 min of the game are up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_83Ed_H2KU

as of right now it looks like its the Unity root again.

Climbing around on stuff looks fun but drat the combat looks really weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Climbing around on stuff looks fun but drat the combat looks really weird.

seems like they are going for a mix of arkham and ac 4.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm not saying you're doing this, rather commenting on a weird rationalisation that's echoed across forums. That said where exactly is this Syndicate=AC2 rhetoric coming from? I've heard it enough, and it's a very convenient PR play where consumers are convincing themselves that the sequel to a flawed game will be fixing all the problems. Was there an interview or series of articles that pushed this narrative, or did the majority decide this is how it has to play out for them to feel fine about purchasing the game sight-unseen?

Every time Ubisoft makes a game on a new engine people compare it to AC1, and then hope the followup will be like AC2. It's not some sinister marketing thing it's just basic optimism.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Tempo 119 posted:

Every time Ubisoft makes a game on a new engine people compare it to AC1, and then hope the followup will be like AC2. It's not some sinister marketing thing it's just basic optimism.

Before anyone else goes b-b-but, yeah, Unity was still a bloated AnvilNext and Ubi's been running into the Bethesda problem of refusing to move onto another engine, the principle of the thing is that it was a whole new version of the engine and the game design seemed to hit a reset button. So yes, it's not insane or "shilling" or whatever dumb poo poo to hope or even expect this next one to build on the previous game like we got between AC1 and AC2.

But seriously, regardless of any of that, don't pre-order. If you're totally deadset on getting it for the pre-load or in-game bonus garbage that either breaks the game or does jack poo poo, at least wait until the reviews go out the day before.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems like they are going for a mix of arkham and ac 4.

Yeah I was thinking Arkham, but it just lacks... I don't know, impact/oomph? Like a slap fight, all whap whap whap whap and poo poo.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So if it's 1868 is there a reason why everyone carry swords and knives instead of guns?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

So if it's 1868 is there a reason why everyone carry swords and knives instead of guns?

Well, I'd say right off the bat that guns are pretty expensive and also they appear to be fighting a lot in crowded streets and areas where a gunfight could hit and kill someone they didn't intend to which is totally against Assassin Law.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 18, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

randombattle posted:

Evie and Jacob both have a revolver, and many of the enemies have similar guns too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

randombattle posted:

Guns still weren't really that common for civilians (and even London police rarely carried revolvers, but they changed that for gameplay reasons.)

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

randombattle posted:

Its not modern day usa so most people don't have a deep need to shoot black people dangerous criminals.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Byolante posted:

Its not modern day usa so most people don't have a deep need to shoot black people dangerous criminals.

Added to the OP for truth.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh, good. I'm so glad I get to hear Danny Wallace's voice again. Oh boy.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moartoast posted:

If you're totally deadset on getting it for the pre-load or in-game bonus garbage that either breaks the game or does jack poo poo, at least wait until the reviews go out the day before.

Eh, I preordered because my sale voucher apparently expired way before the game actually gets released., and I won't kid myself, I was gonna get his game anyway so whatever.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

paint dry posted:

Oh, good. I'm so glad I get to hear Danny Wallace's voice again. Oh boy.

I'm with you. He can make pretty bad games fun to listen to, at least.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I was thinking Arkham, but it just lacks... I don't know, impact/oomph? Like a slap fight, all whap whap whap whap and poo poo.

Yeah. it looks like a fight in a guy ritchie movie. My final opinion will be how intuitive it feels. idk

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 18, 2015

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I think the combat looks punchy enough, just a bit weirdly animated (little cartoony flourishes look good in some games but real weird in PHOTOREAL NEXT GEN stuff) and very obviously set up as early tutorial bits being played by someone for the first time. What I do hope we can turn off is the glow around the targeted enemies because that has always looked naff and reminds me of Oblivion's hilarious attempts at character shaders.

From a controls perspective, it at least looks a little more responsive, but it'll need to be a lot more than a minor improvement because something about Unity's controls eventually led to me going from "mildly interested to look at some lost potential" to "gently caress this game" halfway through the story missions.

At least this story seems to get to the loving point quicker than most modern Ubisoft games. It still dawdles a bit but there's some kind of charisma in the acting and characters and it only takes 6 and a half minutes to start controlling a character in the setting you're actually here for, so maybe the needlessly unskippable cutscenes will be slightly less grating/interminably boring to sit through.

That's still a big "maybe", though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hmm, watched a bit of that play through. Looks...pretty alright? Just more 'sassy-creeds is good enough for me.

I'll be playing on the PC, so I have a whole month to hear how awful the game is. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Byolante posted:

Not when the brit can just toss some irish into a machine and charge them for breaking it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

poo poo, that Polish video made me go from "confidently not buying it" to "maybe I want to buy it."

Definitely looks like more of the same but very slick and the child workers suggest maybe they'll do something a little deeper with the setting/period than Unity.

I do have major stealth/parkour fatigue after MGS (which says I am 26% done, good god) and two of three Uncharted games, but AC was my first love in the genre.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But there's no parkour in MGS or Uncharted...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

...? Uncharted has you spent like half the games running, jumping and climbing around urban environments.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

I meant stealth for MGS obviously, and Uncharted makes several in-game jokes about how much climbing you have to do. Maybe "parkour" isn't the best word if you wanna get anal about it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wonder what version of the game that (now taken down) footage was shot on. It certainly had PS4 button prompts, but it could have easily been the PC version. The frame-rate looked very solid for a console game. I think i'll still be waiting for reviews.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

PC version's not out until the month after console release, because Ubisoft, and the Avermedia watermark is another giveaway, so yeah it's PS4 footage. Stuff I saw looked like it performed well and looked nice, but I didn't see any big open crowds in the footage I saw so idk if crowd LODs are still hosed to hell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

poo poo, that Polish video made me go from "confidently not buying it" to "maybe I want to buy it."

Definitely looks like more of the same but very slick and the child workers suggest maybe they'll do something a little deeper with the setting/period than Unity.

I do have major stealth/parkour fatigue after MGS (which says I am 26% done, good god) and two of three Uncharted games, but AC was my first love in the genre.

the setting is probably much easier to create heroes/villains then the french revolution. rich plutocratic robber barrons are easer to hate then massivily complex revolution that has gray everywhere. plus they made interesting people templars, like the 7th earl of cardigan who is famous for being part of the massive fuckup that was the charge of the light brigade, and Sir David Brewster who was big in optics. and also this dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elliotson

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

...? Uncharted has you spent like half the games running, jumping and climbing around urban environments.

So does Mario, and they're both about as similar to Assassin's Creed traversal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moartoast posted:

PC version's not out until the month after console release, because Ubisoft, and the Avermedia watermark is another giveaway, so yeah it's PS4 footage. Stuff I saw looked like it performed well and looked nice, but I didn't see any big open crowds in the footage I saw so idk if crowd LODs are still hosed to hell.

Some of the other videos have shown quite populated streets but they don't have the big riot crowds like in Unity. It's probably for performance reasons (like how they've cut down on the number of random interiors in favour of focusing on necessary higher detailed ones.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gunder posted:

I wonder what version of the game that (now taken down) footage was shot on. It certainly had PS4 button prompts, but it could have easily been the PC version. The frame-rate looked very solid for a console game. I think i'll still be waiting for reviews.

Many games are looking that smooth on PS4 now. They're finally figuring out the hardware.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Riot crowds were annoying to get through anyway. They were definitely impressive (until the bugs started becoming apparent), but I will not miss them at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Riot crowds were annoying to get through anyway. They were definitely impressive (until the bugs started becoming apparent), but I will not miss them at all.

this. alot of the crowds felt over used and copy pasted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. alot of the crowds felt over used and copy pasted.

Yea the 'oooh neat' factor wore off the fifth time you walked into a crowd of clones. I'll take a nice looking London over a pure "LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE WE CAN FIT ON THE SCREEN" dick waving thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the 'oooh neat' factor wore off the fifth time you walked into a crowd of clones. I'll take a nice looking London over a pure "LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE WE CAN FIT ON THE SCREEN" dick waving thing.

i dont mean the models. it just felt like there were a bunch of riots where there shouldnt have been. it just felt random.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea that too. That was a bad case of 'the first time it makes sense, but by the end of the game there were just riots in random streets for no real reason'

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

there were just riots in random streets for no real reason'

Welcome to France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm with you. He can make pretty bad games fun to listen to, at least.

Man, I was being sarcastic. I hate that guy.

• Locked thread