Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
(I'll probably accept, I think I need a TE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And/or a D that tends not to get negative points.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's got a two week delay.

What's your rush?

Sounds like desperation to me.

two week delay??

i would like a rb before sunday lol i am starting a justin forsett right now and its a terrifying prospect

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

got some chores tonight posted:

its now a delayed trade over two weeks since you didnt accept the original trade before teh game last night lol

And I gave you a RB!!!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

(I'll probably accept, I think I need a TE)

on the one hand, i hope jordan reed retires because six concussions in six years is terrifying; on the other hand, there are literally no streamable tes and trading for a mediocre te would be a heartbreaking experience

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Somberbrero posted:

hey genuinely ecco, i know i give you a lot of poo poo in general but i think you put together a creative and well balanced game here. thanks for running it and pouring on the flavor.

90% of the poop people give me washes off like tears in the rain, but every compliment I hear goes straight to the vault. thank you.

If you two could take your tradechat to discord or the discussion thread I'd appreciate it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not especially proud of this win but hey, I'll take what I can get! Was very busy the last few weeks and it's hard to put in a good Mafia performance after twelve hour work days.

This was a game where night action wise everything went perfectly for us. If a lot of little things had gone differently it would be very different. If one of the doctors had gotten a successful protection, if one of the doctors had claimed they failed to protect one of Max's victims, if anyone had noticed that Max appeared to be "burned out by magic" after two nights of people burning to death, if anyone had assumed or been worried about a four-scum team, if anyone had targeted me on night 2, or if anyone had seriously questioned why the scum jailer was killing someone, if town had actually gotten the votes together to vote me day 2... any of these could have swung the game against us so we got very lucky that they didn't happen.

As town it's really important to have due diligence and play to the worst case scenario. It's a mistake to confirm anyone as town without a really iron reason to do so and even then you should always be skeptical. Instead people made big assumptions about the setup and then used those assumptions to make bigger assumptions about what scum would and wouldn't do. I can't blame anyone for thinking there was a serial killer considering all the kills but that assumption should have been put to question when the two kills stopped. And instead it was dismissed as "scum would play it safe and jail the SK instead of killing them." I was flat worried that by jailing Hats and killing Bird we would be tipping our hand by showing the "scum" and "SK" were working together to lock down and take out the doctor, but nobody stopped to ask why a hypothetical SK would have killed Birdstrike who was basically cleared of being the jailer.

I'll say this too: I thought I was playing horribly and my "claim I jailed myself" gambit was my last throw of the dice before I got voted out on day 3. The utter strength of my clear was astounding, it let me get away with blatantly lurking. I almost never mentioned my buddies even when they were the subject of posts I was quoting, I don't think I ever gave a single reason for my suspicions. I said several times I had no grasp on what was happening in the game. On day 3 in a tied vote situation I voted Hats over scum AS and had to immediately switch back to maintain my "I'll vote for anybody" position. Hell, I was unclaimed all game, nobody every bothered to ask me what role I might have been blocked with. So I was ~very~ surprised that on a lylo day Hats didn't even wait for me to post before putting someone else at -1.

Overall I had a good time this game, even if I didn't put on much of a show here. The setup was great and I really liked my role of jailer/watcher, it's a great variant on a standard Mafia role. Very difficult to claim since my flavor was so obviously scummy that I never would have been able to claim jailer, and claiming watcher would have been a challenge by virtue of the people I watched getting jailed. The idea of scum getting kills past a bunch of doctors and bodyguards is a cool one, I felt the two factions were really balanced overall.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

And I gave you a RB!!!

no, we're just doing the charles for wilson part before sunday (so you can get a qb and i get a rb) and then ill give you the ride-on williams next week cuz we cant trade him this week

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i thought the mason-cop stuff was good im not really sure what the other aspect of game design ppl are commenting yet cuz im still tilting at towns play

i underlined my compliment because im probably just going to say eccogame when i read the setup but i want to make sure ecco realises i like (a part of) her setup and im just tilting at how bad town played

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

got some chores tonight posted:

i thought the mason stuff was a good twist im not really sure what the other aspect of game design ppl are commenting yet cuz im still tilting at towns play

Max had two unblockable kills he could use in addition to our regular kill. So he was responsible for both fire deaths and then his own death on night 2.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Why did you investigate Max over grandicap?

That would have been such a hilarious D2 and I'm sad it didn't happen.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Why did you investigate Max over grandicap?

That would have been such a hilarious D2 and I'm sad it didn't happen.

i figured grandi was town for reasons and if he wasnt i was gonna die anyway since i sent my cop pm back after evry1 called me a scum piece of poo poo for not doing it

i investigated max cuz i thought he was scum

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i think naive cop - town; cop - godfather is cool i think godfather jugg that costs things is cool not sure i agree w/ it being a second kill and not sure i agree with it being in the same setup as the duo masonry thing cuz i find it doubtful the losing godfathrr cost will ever be relevant in that setup

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Actually I guess this is a post-mortem question for Ecco since I still don't understand it.

She told me via PM after I died that Max was indeed the Godfather but ~~something happened~~ that ended up with me getting the correct result. I'm not seeing it in any of the N1 actions.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Actually I guess this is a post-mortem question for Ecco since I still don't understand it.

She told me via PM after I died that Max was indeed the Godfather but ~~something happened~~ that ended up with me getting the correct result. I'm not seeing it in any of the N1 actions.

The first time Max used his unblockable kill, he lost godfather status. The second time he used it, he died.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Ninth Layer posted:

The first time Max used his unblockable kill, he lost godfather status. The second time he used it, he died.

Ah, poo poo. Tricky.

Why did you guys decide to burn it so early?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Apologies if I missed it on the last page or something :blush:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ah, poo poo. Tricky.

Why not? It's a second kill that nobody can stop. Plus after the way day 1 went there was a fair chance Max was up for vote anyway, and unstoppable kills don't do anything if you're dead.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, poo poo. Tricky.

I'm assuming it's because I was right about Max/PMom, so they wanted to get rid of me quickly since I surely wouldn't let that go. Plus they probably didn't want you to have a chance at identifying Max as scum through the masonry.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EccoRaven posted:

The Nuns of Nolaisko

A Game for 15 players

- 4 mafia
--- 1 godfather mason (w/Town Mason below). Unconfirmed. Also has a two-shot assassin kill (can be used at any night, doubled up with the normal kill, removes GF and then kills player)
--- 1 watcher/jailer (jails target, sees all who would have targeted player)
--- 2 goons

- 11 town
--- 1 lurker daykiller: day 2 onwards can ##kill once a day, twice total. The kill is X% successful where X is the difference between their posts and mine (need to figure out an exact algorithm since I posted so much in my own thread pre-game).
--- 1 cop mason, unconfirmed. Sane. w/godfather.
--- 1 cop mason, unconfirmed. Naive. w/town mason.
--- 1 town mason, unconfirmed, w/naive cop.
--- 1 doctor
--- 1 backup doctor
--- 1 faith healer/BG (if their target is selected for the kill, 50% chance the kill is blocked, 50% chance the faith healer dies instead and the kill is revealed)
--- 4 Vanillas

===========

so, i think this setup succeeds on a couple levels. at its face the scumteam has much weaker roles in comparison to their town counterparts, but with greater rewards for effective usage and an enhanced action economy. it's certainly a fragile setup, i suppose. i probably would have distributed power a little more evenly across the scumteam rather than concentrating most of it with max, but then that dilutes the risk/reward mechanic of the extra kills. the extra kills themselves are an interesting mechanic here, we're all so locked into the idea of the stand mafia action economy that it leads us to a certain amount of unhealthy certainly regarding the way things are 'supposed to be.' the extra kills and godfather's self-implosion changes the meta-play of the game based on these assumptions, and i think that's a neat effect.

the town side of the equation is a little less inspired, but it's a smart distribution of power. i experimented with a lurker vig in my last game and i have to admit that ecco's implementation is more elegant. i mean the kill success percentage is nonsense and should not be in the game, but that aside it is clever. the mason sets are more interesting to me as a whole rather than individually, the implication of 4 masons in the game creates a certain amount of passive pressure on one of them being scum, almost a soft counter to the godfather ability.

i don't know, i liked it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dumb question:

Does godfather (without these shenanigans) investigate as scum to a naive cop?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Dumb question:

Does godfather (without these shenanigans) investigate as scum to a naive cop?
No. A naive cop gets town on everybody.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Ninth Layer posted:

No. A naive cop gets town on everybody.

Oh right. It's not an insane cop.

...would an insane cop get a scum result? :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

so, i think this setup succeeds on a couple levels. at its face the scumteam has much weaker roles in comparison to their town counterparts, but with greater rewards for effective usage and an enhanced action economy. it's certainly a fragile setup, i suppose. i probably would have distributed power a little more evenly across the scumteam rather than concentrating most of it with max, but then that dilutes the risk/reward mechanic of the extra kills. the extra kills themselves are an interesting mechanic here, we're all so locked into the idea of the stand mafia action economy that it leads us to a certain amount of unhealthy certainly regarding the way things are 'supposed to be.' the extra kills and godfather's self-implosion changes the meta-play of the game based on these assumptions, and i think that's a neat effect.

I really like the concentrating powers on one player, it really changes the dynamics of the scum team in an interesting way and forces interesting decisions that are different from a typical mafia setup~

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh right. It's not an insane cop.

...would an insane cop get a scum result? :v:

I would think yes, the cop would get results as if the godfather were a town player, so they would get a SCUM result.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I really like the concentrating powers on one player, it really changes the dynamics of the scum team in an interesting way and forces interesting decisions that are different from a typical mafia setup~

i think it creates a great effect when it succeeds, like it did here, but it does mean the setup can be more easily broken if that player is eliminated early. to a lesser extent i might argue that it diminishes the agency of the scumteam individually but i feel like that's not really how we play mafia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I would think yes, the cop would get results as if the godfather were a town player, so they would get a SCUM result.

Everything about this leads to comedy options. I dig.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Somberbrero posted:

i feel like that's not really how we play mafia.

What do you mean by that?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, dongs, what did you think about your role PM after I flipped sane cop and Max claimed the masonry?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

i think it creates a great effect when it succeeds, like it did here, but it does mean the setup can be more easily broken if that player is eliminated early. to a lesser extent i might argue that it diminishes the agency of the scumteam individually but i feel like that's not really how we play mafia.

Well, that's one of the interesting and unusual decisions, right? If the power role is in danger early, like Max was here, the other scum players have to choose between exposing themselves to protect him or jettisoning their big gun. Scum are usually going to be able to stop a dunk on someone day 1, it just depends on how much they want to invest.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well, that's one of the interesting and unusual decisions, right? If the power role is in danger early, like Max was here, the other scum players have to choose between exposing themselves to protect him or jettisoning their big gun. Scum are usually going to be able to stop a dunk on someone day 1, it just depends on how much they want to invest.

Yeah, I think if AS or Pmom has Max's role, then PMom goes ahead and votes Max on D1. Maybe Max still doesn't get lynched, but at least PMom doesn't look nearly as scummy.

And I'm still seriously on tilt at how nobody looked at the D1 vote after Max flipped scum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

The issue with spreading out power evenly among the scum team is you create a game where the scum team is balanced like an engine and falls apart when you lose one of its components. For example any team with a godfather, roleblocker and rolecop is permanently out of a night action no matter who they lose, since a dead godfather forces one of the other two players to forfeit their action. Our team would have been hurt if Max had gotten voted out day 1, but we would have still had my jail ability and still had a nightkill. Similarly we may have been in trouble if I had been voted out on night 2, but we still would have had one of Max's unblockable kills to take out a key protected player if needed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, I think if AS or Pmom has Max's role, then PMom goes ahead and votes Max on D1. Maybe Max still doesn't get lynched, but at least PMom doesn't look nearly as scummy.

And I'm still seriously on tilt at how nobody looked at the D1 vote after Max flipped scum.

My entire case on Tobbs Gnawed was that he was pushing Max for being a good player, a subtle defense of Max that I got away with because I never outright talked about Max or stated his name.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The answer there is that you give your scumteam a breadth of tactical options to let them choose how to best play their game. like in snowbound i thought it was cool how i gave you three different killing powers but then you got dunked d1. what i should have done was spread some of that kill power to capps and some of his power to you to create a less brittle scumteam that could take a hit and still have options.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

well yes, it was an interesting decision and it played out well here. i don't think it would ever make sense to bus max in this game if that's what you are saying.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Busing in general is a bad strategy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I will say that this game is a lot more balanced than the last Ecco game, and I appreciate the people who know more than I do weighing in on that.

Honest question to Ecco: had you built this setup a year ago, or was it the flavor? I think the personal story is super cool, and you always go all out on the flavor, which is a big part of why I've been digging your games.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Busing in general is a bad strategy.

Even to contribute new ideas to a wave of momentum?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What do you mean by that?

Taking a stab at it: We don't really care about the agency of individual members of the scumteam - you're kind of an rear end in a top hat as scum if you play to maximise your own chance of living to the detriment of your team's chance of victory.

Like, if you play Pandemic or similar games, it can easily turn into everybody following the lead of the most vocal player at the table because everybody has full information and the same agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Honest question to Ecco: had you built this setup a year ago, or was it the flavor? I think the personal story is super cool, and you always go all out on the flavor, which is a big part of why I've been digging your games.

the setup was made a year ago, though it went through some modification over the past year (it started as 15, got reduced to 13 [without me remembering what I changed to make it smaller], and then got pumped back up to 15 for this game.) Things like the assassin kill were in the initial setup but got tweaked when I wrote role PMs (part of the eternal process of writing them is also doing balancing tests in my head as I do so).

I wrote a thing in the discord a last week about my process, let me see if I can pull it up.

e: lol nah that's not happening sorry!

e2: actually I found it, neat. though it's more about writing role PMs than setup creation.

quote:

rebecco - Last Monday at 12:35 PM
the first role PM I always write is the head mafia PM, and I always take a lot of time with that one because it's the motivation for the entire game.

(I do all my mafia work in a single .txt file)

for the mafia leader I have to present a scenario where "some people want to murder an entire town" is a reasonable response to whatever is happening in their lives. so that takes a long time to figure out. the rest of the mafia PMs either build off that leader's PM (I assume, incorrectly, that mafia always share and read each other's PMs), or include background information for the world of The Imperia

so yeah the mafia PMs take the longest

then I get to the town PMs, and those are usually easier. depending on which player rolled which role I try to tailor it a little for who they are; sometimes I try to give their character a personality, some broad strokes, but usually I don't.

since the town PMs are reactive generally, their motivation is pretty easy, so I can get through them quickly. sometimes their character's role is something about which I am unfamiliar, so I have to do some research to see if what I want to write even makes sense
e.g. say they're a butcher, I may google around to learn how butcher's get rid of all that blood, where does it go, do they do something with it after, what kind of knives do they use, etc.

then I get to the vanilla PMs, which in recent years are entirely identical and I post them right before the game starts. generally they're short and sweet.

it only takes maybe an hour or so of actual writing, but the preparation going into it (and motivating myself to actually write at all) can take days, maybe weeks at my worst. (which in turn stems from slight ADD, it takes mental energy to focus myself on things and I not-unreasonably prioritize mafia role PMs very lowly.)

so yeah in general that's the issue. I can spit out setups in a few minutes, and when I have a Tricky Gimmick that makes me go "oooooo yeah!!!" I write it down as soon as I can (this is how I managed to get a dozen setups made this summer).
figuring out the setting takes a while but I do that behind the scenes before even opening a thread.
I try to find attractive pictures that engage people's interest, I'll lightly photoshop them as well to better suit my purposes
then I post the thread and hope for the best!
oh and generally when I write role PMs I am also going through the game and thinking about its balance
(this is how I created the "unstoppable object" action we talked about earlier, and why it was written sloppily)

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 15, 2016

• Locked thread