Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hey I was told there's a game starting here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Confirming my role!! RIP varinn.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

This is pretty typical Day 1 Dongsbot, yeah. I don't feel particularly interested in the votes on him, because that's just what happens with dongsbot. I don't think it's a great indicator of scumminess one way or the other.

And do unconfirmed masonries typically get aired out in the thread quite so much as this?

Almost never this early.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Max posted:

TBH demanding to see someone's PM is pretty lovely and close to bending the rules in a way that is actively unfun so I understand where Grandi is coming from.

It's common enough for masons to do, but I do think it's scummy this PM exchange apparently only went one way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

It wasn't a jokevote.

That said, I do buy that this is town dongs. Pages 4-5 were beyond annoying, but whatever.

And I've never been a mason outside of the ridiculous 10-person masonry in Fan Fiction, which was kind of a game of mafia I suppose. Point being, I have no idea what the unconfirmed masonry strategy should be, but I doubt what we just sat through was it.

##unvote

The typical unconfirmed mason strategy is don't claim, talk to your buddy to get a feel for their suspicions and engagement levels, talk to them more to see if you have any common suspicions (or if they don't seem to have any good ones), and ideally breadcrumb your masonry so you can claim it later.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I think town Max knows Dongsbot's town game, and while it is annoying as hell it's a terrible reason to lynch dongs.

The reasons for Grandicap (potentially) being scum stand, especially the extremely angry and resentful response with very little pressure applied. However, that lack of pressure remains a barrier to lynching him, should I be correct in believing he's scum.

Max, on the other hand, is a very dangerous player to let be scummy in the long run, because his endgame is killer.

What are your reasons for wanting dongs dead, Max? Because he's playing in a manner that's annoying, despite you playing (and hosting) games where dongs was annoying town who pushed the boundaries of what game mechanics allow?

Scum scum scummy Max.

##unvote

##vote Max

This vote only works if you assume dongs is town from the start, and even then the entire reasoning behind it is "Max is too good of a player to risk leaving alive."

##vote Tobbs Gnawed

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Would scum dongs immediately out an unconfirmed masonry and bully the other guy, getting himself to -3 in a couple hours? I've played many games with town dongs, and he pushes the boundaries of game mechanics and generally gets on people's nerves. I've seen one game with scum dongs, and he was quiet as a mouse and didn't really have voting pressure on him the entire game.

I called out Max because he's intelligent and experienced enough to pick up on those nuances. Instead, he jumped on a bandwagon without any reason besides (dongs is a rulebender). That's a scum vote, and this is scum Max getting caught.

This entire post is a meta argument. Scum players always try to play up their own meta. I definitely think dongs would be capable of such a gambit as scum, it's not like claiming an unconfirmed masonry is some unwinnable all-in move. There's a few reasons he might even want to, one of the biggest being it gives him an excuse not to engage with Grandicap and possibly risk exposing himself as scum to a town player.

In other words, dongs isn't above suspicion here, so I think it is scummy you've basically just assumed it is obvious he's town and anyone who disagrees is either dumb or scum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh god the posts, the many posts.

My opinion hasn't changed, I still think Tobbs is scum, don't feel TMM for a vote at all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm commuting home, will be around for deadline. Still want to vote out Tobbs Gnawed for some very sketchy simple logic in making his cases, I also agree with whoever said his posts are often padded and over-explained.

Can someone sum up the case for voting out PMach? I can't recall seeing an explicit one besides Birdstrike calling out the conspicuous defense of AS. Is that the entire case?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Doesn't sound like much of a case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Who is adahn?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

got some chores tonight posted:

he was already on the vote leader why would he switch

Yeah, I liked my own case more than the one on PMach anyway.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Okay. I still don't really know who that is.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

tnl standing next to tobbs funeral pyre filing his nails: 'tobbs? tobbs? never heard of 'em. sounds like a nice guy, not like that piece of poo poo tobbs i was casing earlier.'

Not even close to what I said.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hello I'm here, didn't have internet access over the weekend.

Also I was jailed last night.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

A force picked me up in the air and I was floating, couldn't move a muscle.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The flavor was pretty clear about it. Described the air thickening around me, so thick I couldn't move at all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sorry, I haven't had any time to go over this game, should have a good break in an hour or two.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Boss looking over my shoulder all day.

My gut instincts tell me Birdstrike is town, Grandi is town, dongs probably town, and everyone else I'm unsure about.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have no idea who to vote for.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote Lord of Hats I'm good with voting AS too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Should have previewed. ##unvote ##vote AS

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I still think Birdstrike and Grandi are town and it would take a strong case for me to want to vote either of them. Hats' claim is suspicious, not sure why a setup with a doc and a bodyguard needs another doctor. I don't have a strong read on anyone else, maybe some gut feelings on AR.

I'll see if I can find some time to read things over tonight, work has been pretty brutal lately.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Unless we have 2 scum and an SK or three scum still alive it probably isn't lylo.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If I was scum or sk I'd have won by now

How do you figure that?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm back home. I did not realize the deadline was so soon.

Gonna hammer AR if there are no objections.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote AR :redhammer:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I agree.

##vote Taste

:redhammer:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Accidentally jailing the guy we were using an unstoppable kill on: Play Of The Game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not especially proud of this win but hey, I'll take what I can get! Was very busy the last few weeks and it's hard to put in a good Mafia performance after twelve hour work days.

This was a game where night action wise everything went perfectly for us. If a lot of little things had gone differently it would be very different. If one of the doctors had gotten a successful protection, if one of the doctors had claimed they failed to protect one of Max's victims, if anyone had noticed that Max appeared to be "burned out by magic" after two nights of people burning to death, if anyone had assumed or been worried about a four-scum team, if anyone had targeted me on night 2, or if anyone had seriously questioned why the scum jailer was killing someone, if town had actually gotten the votes together to vote me day 2... any of these could have swung the game against us so we got very lucky that they didn't happen.

As town it's really important to have due diligence and play to the worst case scenario. It's a mistake to confirm anyone as town without a really iron reason to do so and even then you should always be skeptical. Instead people made big assumptions about the setup and then used those assumptions to make bigger assumptions about what scum would and wouldn't do. I can't blame anyone for thinking there was a serial killer considering all the kills but that assumption should have been put to question when the two kills stopped. And instead it was dismissed as "scum would play it safe and jail the SK instead of killing them." I was flat worried that by jailing Hats and killing Bird we would be tipping our hand by showing the "scum" and "SK" were working together to lock down and take out the doctor, but nobody stopped to ask why a hypothetical SK would have killed Birdstrike who was basically cleared of being the jailer.

I'll say this too: I thought I was playing horribly and my "claim I jailed myself" gambit was my last throw of the dice before I got voted out on day 3. The utter strength of my clear was astounding, it let me get away with blatantly lurking. I almost never mentioned my buddies even when they were the subject of posts I was quoting, I don't think I ever gave a single reason for my suspicions. I said several times I had no grasp on what was happening in the game. On day 3 in a tied vote situation I voted Hats over scum AS and had to immediately switch back to maintain my "I'll vote for anybody" position. Hell, I was unclaimed all game, nobody every bothered to ask me what role I might have been blocked with. So I was ~very~ surprised that on a lylo day Hats didn't even wait for me to post before putting someone else at -1.

Overall I had a good time this game, even if I didn't put on much of a show here. The setup was great and I really liked my role of jailer/watcher, it's a great variant on a standard Mafia role. Very difficult to claim since my flavor was so obviously scummy that I never would have been able to claim jailer, and claiming watcher would have been a challenge by virtue of the people I watched getting jailed. The idea of scum getting kills past a bunch of doctors and bodyguards is a cool one, I felt the two factions were really balanced overall.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

got some chores tonight posted:

i thought the mason stuff was a good twist im not really sure what the other aspect of game design ppl are commenting yet cuz im still tilting at towns play

Max had two unblockable kills he could use in addition to our regular kill. So he was responsible for both fire deaths and then his own death on night 2.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Actually I guess this is a post-mortem question for Ecco since I still don't understand it.

She told me via PM after I died that Max was indeed the Godfather but ~~something happened~~ that ended up with me getting the correct result. I'm not seeing it in any of the N1 actions.

The first time Max used his unblockable kill, he lost godfather status. The second time he used it, he died.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ah, poo poo. Tricky.

Why did you guys decide to burn it so early?

Why not? It's a second kill that nobody can stop. Plus after the way day 1 went there was a fair chance Max was up for vote anyway, and unstoppable kills don't do anything if you're dead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Dumb question:

Does godfather (without these shenanigans) investigate as scum to a naive cop?
No. A naive cop gets town on everybody.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh right. It's not an insane cop.

...would an insane cop get a scum result? :v:

I would think yes, the cop would get results as if the godfather were a town player, so they would get a SCUM result.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

i think it creates a great effect when it succeeds, like it did here, but it does mean the setup can be more easily broken if that player is eliminated early. to a lesser extent i might argue that it diminishes the agency of the scumteam individually but i feel like that's not really how we play mafia.

The issue with spreading out power evenly among the scum team is you create a game where the scum team is balanced like an engine and falls apart when you lose one of its components. For example any team with a godfather, roleblocker and rolecop is permanently out of a night action no matter who they lose, since a dead godfather forces one of the other two players to forfeit their action. Our team would have been hurt if Max had gotten voted out day 1, but we would have still had my jail ability and still had a nightkill. Similarly we may have been in trouble if I had been voted out on night 2, but we still would have had one of Max's unblockable kills to take out a key protected player if needed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, I think if AS or Pmom has Max's role, then PMom goes ahead and votes Max on D1. Maybe Max still doesn't get lynched, but at least PMom doesn't look nearly as scummy.

And I'm still seriously on tilt at how nobody looked at the D1 vote after Max flipped scum.

My entire case on Tobbs Gnawed was that he was pushing Max for being a good player, a subtle defense of Max that I got away with because I never outright talked about Max or stated his name.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Busing in general is a bad strategy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Even to contribute new ideas to a wave of momentum?

I mean, if you can prevent your buddy's lynch in any way possible you absolutely should. I had a great excuse for not voting or looking at Max on day 1: I was actively going after the chief guy who was casing him. That could have come back to bite me in the rear end, but by taking a position where I clearly wasn't going to vote Max I made that vote a little less possible.

The scant credit you get for voting for your scumbuddy is almost never worth having lylo come a day later with one less person on your team to influence it. People only bus because it's really really easy to call someone scum when you already know they are scum, it's just a lazy way of going after town cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well, sure, but this is why bussing becomes a thing, and that's what TNL just said was stupid.

I see the reasoning behind letting Max die to get his two absolutely guaranteed kills; it fueled the SK theory. At the same time, though, scumteam is precious real estate and it strikes me as odd to be so flippant with it?

More to the point, though, it seemed that somber was more speaking to the SA meta in general. We do jump on busses, and scum doesn't generally have this sort of suicide bomber mechanic. I feel like there must be upside to letting Max survive for at least another day, but he was drawing enough shade that I guess you probably made the right call.

With one shot abilities you are always weighing their potential usefulness later vs their practical usefulness now. Town vigilantes have this dilemma too: do they sit on their kill to get the greatest value out of it or do they use it early before the Mafia nightkills them? There's no universal answer so it just really depends on how likely you think you'll be able to use those abilities later.

I can't speak for Max's decision, I had no internet access until that Monday morning and basically sent in my action blind. But I'll say that as scum you usually have a pretty good sense of who has it in for you and where the town momentum is. I definitely believed I was going to get voted out day 3 and I wouldn't be too surprised if Max felt similarly.

I should add that certain one-shot abilities are game-winning if you can save them for the right time, like lylo. Max's ability was not one of them, because even though he gave us an extra kill he also died on the second one.

• Locked thread