Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

muscles like this? posted:

Usually that is something that is ignored in movies/books or whatever.

This seems to be an aspect of post-apocalyptic scenario that this particular writer's group is good at. See also: spoiled gasoline, expired canned foods, probably stuff I missed since I skipped the last half of last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I like the dynamic swap of Tandy legitimately trying to make amends while everyone else exposes flaws. It's a nice contrast from last season.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Sudekis nailed that radio scene.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fast Luck posted:

I totally thought Phil was gonna get in touch with him playing with a radio on his way to Canada.

Interesting that now Tandy is basically one of the "best" people in the group.

That's why I like the show: Everyone is drinking and just trying to pass time because they haven't coped with loss or figured out how to change.

Tandy has.

Edit: Even Alpha Phil is to blame - at any point, he could've taken time to show people how to repair or build something. But he keeps expecting the others to take initiative, while he's taken no initiative to take the leadership role he clearly thinks he owns.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

robot roll call posted:

I like the dynamic swap of Tandy legitimately trying to make amends while everyone else exposes flaws. It's a nice contrast from last season.

Yeah, it's more interesting when the flaws of all the characters play a part in the ongoing story rather than being purely about how Tandy is a loser, I've been enjoying this season a lot more than the last for that reason.

ChesterJT posted:

Sudekis nailed that radio scene.

He really did, I think he's relatively funny but this surprised me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Red posted:

Even Alpha Phil is to blame - at any point, he could've taken time to show people how to repair or build something. But he keeps expecting the others to take initiative, while he's taken no initiative to take the leadership role he clearly thinks he owns.
I don't know, I think he tries but people are just tuning him out while they sit around drinking and taking him for granted. His character flaw this season imo arises from the fact that he's a dick to Erica because he actually wants Carol, and because he feels entitled to a relationship with Carol even though she's not interested in him. And when Tandy laid out the facts to him, he decked him. He's flawed but he's right about a lot of things and the group should be thanking God to have him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was a nice episode in spite of how I've been becoming less and less of a fan of shows doing Christmas episodes in general. I'm glad the Mike Miller story is going somewhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

That was a nice episode in spite of how I've been becoming less and less of a fan of shows doing Christmas episodes in general. I'm glad the Mike Miller story is going somewhere.

The next episode is called Christmas so we may have one more!

edit:
Don't know if titles count as spoilers or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The secret Santa storyline is perfect for a show like this. Any excuse to pull out 'what would you do?' plots is a-ok with me.

I think I missed what Mike saw that made him want to abort, was it that his work wasn't dead after all?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

EL BROMANCE posted:

The secret Santa storyline is perfect for a show like this. Any excuse to pull out 'what would you do?' plots is a-ok with me.

I think I missed what Mike saw that made him want to abort, was it that his work wasn't dead after all?
He realized there was still a living worm.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
So we all know that he'll get back on the ship (he's tethered after all), and since he has found hope in that there's a worm left, he may figure out that there are humans left as well, so he starts back towards earth. Sudekis kills all of this scenes, and I hope we see way more of him. Also, I hope that when he gets back to Earth, Tandy kills the worm through some convoluted misunderstanding and Mike remembers what a huge jerk his brother is.

Great episode, and I hope that Alpha Phil dies.

Best scenes of S2 are the whales on the beach and the yacht part of the last episode. Great cuts in this show. Thanks, Phil Lord and Chris Miller?

PS - There's a Phil Miller. Will there be a Chris Lord? Possibly Lord Chris, the Apocolypse King?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Echo Chamber posted:

He realized there was still a living worm.

It's a baby worm. They clearly showed it giving birth in a prior scene.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It's a baby worm. They clearly showed it giving birth in a prior scene.

Truth be told, I thought it was pooping.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Solice Kirsk posted:

Truth be told, I thought it was pooping.

Yeah. He was talking about the worm eating its own poop at the time

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

This episode was pretty good. I loved Gail dipping her paper in wine to swallow it and Tandy blowing up Pitbull's yacht.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My dvr cut off during Todd's secret Santa speech (when he said Gail's present was outside). Can anyone summarize what happened the rest of the episode?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

mastajake posted:

My dvr cut off during Todd's secret Santa speech (when he said Gail's present was outside). Can anyone summarize what happened the rest of the episode?

Wikipedia, as usual, covers popular culture in detail.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Anosmoman posted:

Wikipedia, as usual, covers popular culture in detail.

*groans*

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Holy crap.

THAT certainly was something.

Amazing. Totally not what I expected from this show, but amazing.

Geez.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Cadaver? I hardly knew her! (boom)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This episode had some great moments.

The bodylocker pop-lock'n had me in stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb08ewwocvk

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 14, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The last couple episodes are really addressing head first the problems with all the characters. Mostly they just got some much needed depth. Melissa and Phil were softened up a little. Phil enough to actually make me feel sad that he is probably dead. Gail was great this episode too.

It's a Christmas miracle!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was a good midseason finale. I really hope the astronaut makes it, even though it's quite clear that only one of the two survives.

Or maybe only the worm survives. :(

But to be honest, I am retty sure that Tandys brother will survive this. Otherwise it would feel like a lot of wasted time for all the build up.

Phil Miller dies, but they keep calling the other guy Tandy, to make sure not to confuse him with the worm.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 14, 2015

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kind of overkill on the cliffhangers for a show that's ostensibly a comedy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Uh, I think that was probably the best episode of anything I've seen this season.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That was excellent. Jason Sudekis is rivaling Kristin Schall as my favorite actor in this.

I think Phil can die because he's going to be replaced by Tandy's brother, who kind of fills the same niche of competence. It didn't seem like they were vague about what happens to Phil.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah Phil was very handy but when Sudekis shows up, boom you've got an astronaut on your hands and he will instantly be the man. At least in the ladies eyes. Can't wait to see how he and and Tandy's relationship works, whether they're best buds or antagonistic or what.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm actually annoyed that Phil was killed off because he was pretty much the only rational person there for a while (though they've made the others much better just in the last couple episodes thankfully)

and it's about drat time they get his brother there somehow, geez

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
It's a long way to LA from Kazakhstan, unless Mike Miller can somehow pilot the capsule to the US. Also, after being in space for two years, I would think he'd be too weak to walk for a while.

I'll be interested what they come up with to explain this.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Sadly astronaut Mike is going to die. He's been in space for 3ish years and there's no professional rehabilitation team waiting for him.

Phil will probably live, nobody is a trained doctor and knows how to use any of the machines.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I knew they'd kill him eventually because Kodjoe has been billed as a guest star the whole time.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This is one of the more realistic post apocalyptic shows on TV. The gas doesn't work anymore and the black guy tries to leave as soon as he finds out hes gonna be a father.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Big Ink posted:

Sadly astronaut Mike is going to die. He's been in space for 3ish years and there's no professional rehabilitation team waiting for him.

If we stick to science fact, there's no way he could survive. Even if the parachute deploys, he'll still hit the ground hard enough to flatten him into a pancake... unless he lands in water, in which case he'll die with no rescue vessel. Plus, after all that time in zero gee he won't be able to walk for weeks.

But, once again, this is a comedy show so I'll give them some leeway.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My only problem with this show is that Tandy does a little too much SNL "funny" type poo poo, but I guess the 1 minute per episode is worth it to keep the retards watching in order to keep this excellent show on the air.

r0ck0 posted:

This is one of the more realistic post apocalyptic shows on TV. The gas doesn't work anymore and the black guy tries to leave as soon as he finds out hes gonna be a father.

:master:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

It's a long way to LA from Kazakhstan, unless Mike Miller can somehow pilot the capsule to the US. Also, after being in space for two years, I would think he'd be too weak to walk for a while.

Gynovore posted:

If we stick to science fact, there's no way he could survive. Even if the parachute deploys, he'll still hit the ground hard enough to flatten him into a pancake... unless he lands in water, in which case he'll die with no rescue vessel. Plus, after all that time in zero gee he won't be able to walk for weeks.

The capsule we see him looks nothing like any existing space vehicle. It actually looks far more like a KH-9 Film Return Vehicle than anything else. So there's no telling where it is designed or equipped to land. It's quite possible that it could be American, would aerodynamically stabilize itself as it begins to seriously re-enter (as that type of blunt body is designed to do), can autonomously land, and is equipped for a thumpdown on land somewhere.

The whole muscle degradation thing is a concern, but assuming he's still be working out up there (because there's not much else to do really), he'd be real weak, but he wouldn't be helpless.

But again, comedy, so they can make up whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gynovore posted:

But, once again, this is a comedy show so I'll give them some leeway.

Why would he die if he lands on the ground? The Soyuz is designed to land on the ground, so it's possible.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If he's been in space for 3+ years he would be atrophied to poo poo from what I understand so when he lands there is no way for him to get himself out of the pod while he's adjusting to gravity / etc - but of course this is a comedy tv show so I'm sure we will get something more interesting than that

And yea I was thinking "Okay so he lands in Russian tundra and then what?" but then realized he doesn't need to worry about hitting a populated area and accidentally squishing someone... unless that would be really funny in which case I hope that happens

But yea good show, the actual "Last Man" stuff is always the highlight for me and even when Phil is being a friggin tool I still find him funny - looking forward to Season 3!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Grim posted:

And yea I was thinking "Okay so he lands in Russian tundra and then what?" but then realized he doesn't need to worry about hitting a populated area and accidentally squishing someone... unless that would be really funny in which case I hope that happens

Phil survives, everyone goes to in for a big hug, Mike crushes through the ceiling and squashes them. Then we see that it as actually just Tandy and a bunch of worms all along.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really liked that they dug up Gordon to attempt to practice on. It's great how this is the most realistic and dark post-apocalypse show I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought having them actually dig up Gordon was a misstep, actually. Tandy is a moron, but even he wouldn't be dumb enough to think presenting Gail with the rotting corpse of her former lover would be a good idea. Todd, especially, would not have thought that was a good idea, after seeing Gail all hung up on Gordon's death. It just felt a little bit too slapstick sitcommy to me, like "look how silly these two are! Man, there's gonna be a hilarious payoff!" I'm glad they didn't actually go through with it.

• Locked thread