Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

For the first 10 entrants, this year's Rumble was one of the best of all time, and oh boy did it go off the rails for the other 2/3rds.

Bubba Dudley and R-Truth are still my favorite tag team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mkay0 posted:

Where is the bottom for these ratings? It's still September, there is a long football season still to go.

How close are they to dropping the average rating of USA? I can't imagine they are close, but these are free falling.

USA's average viewership is like 1.4 million, below an 0.5 rating in 18-49. I don't think we'll get that low without Vince being forced into retirement long before.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

mkay0 posted:

How close are they to dropping the average rating of USA? I can't imagine they are close, but these are free falling.

I'm honestly wondering how they're going to handle Bryan returning and when it'll happen. They'll probably want to avoid bringing him back for the Rumble/Mania build because it'll threaten to derail the build for the third consecutive year, but I doubt he'll stand for being held out til after Mania, especially if he's apparently got a legit non-quack doctor who's cleared him to return already.

If he truly is ready to go they might as well clear him to return for Survivor's Series as a challenger for Seth and run the feud through the Rumble so hopefully the crowd can get it out of their system. Having him in the title match for RR with said match occurring after the Rumble itself will probably be the best way to control the crowd reactions for him. Unless WWE really does want to try holding him out til post Mania and hope he doesn't flip out and demand his release so he can go back to the indies or something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If Raw gets to 1.anything anytime soon, expect people publicly fired that week

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

If Raw gets to 1.anything anytime soon, expect people publicly executed at a top of the third hour segment that week

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

please don't let daniel bryan come back

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I don't want to watch a man die in the ring

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Chris James 2 posted:

Kevin Dunn covered in pitch, lit on fire, and tossed into the Grand Canyon.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

LET'S GO 1.ANYTHING

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

BrigadierSensible posted:

I, for one, am happy that Bo Dallas is back.

It sucks that he keeps losing, but I Bolieve in him.

Seriously though, I don't Bolieve in his booking. He is back doing the same thing as he was before he was injured, which is cool. And he is getting time to cut his promos and get teh crowd to hate him, which is also cool. But I don't think that WWE has any idea/plan with what to do with him apart from feeding him to babyfaces. I legitimately enjoyed his "streak" untill it was inexplicably ended by R-Truth of all people. And now, without any sort of direction, and no hope of even upset victories I can see him getting stale and lame very quickly.

Bo should win the WWE Championship in a surprise rollup and carry it for several months.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

schweens posted:

Bubba Dudley and R-Truth are still my favorite tag team

"Hey, he's black, he says what's up, same thing"

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Ruggington posted:

please don't let daniel bryan come back

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Daniel Bryan vs. Kurt Angle cripple match please

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Delsaber posted:

and survives

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
A 2.3 rating in 2015 is not the same as a 2.3 rating in 1997, the TV landscape is completely different. This week, with the bad rating, the 3 hours of RAW were 4th, 6th and 7th top rated programs on cable TV on Monday. Frankly I'm amazed that WWE manages to maintain this kind of a rating on the reg

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

LET'S GO 1.ANYTHING

That's a human life shame on you

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AfroLine posted:

and survives

By the rivers of Babylon we wept as we remembered Zion. There upon the poplars we hung our harps for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell. “Tear it down,” they cried, “tear it down to its foundations!” Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us. Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

he's the only thing that moves ratings. let's go commissioner bryan

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Delsaber posted:

Ring around the rosey
Pocket full of posies
Ashes, ashes
Buck Tooth lives

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

RacistGuidingLight posted:

By the rivers of Babylon we wept as we remembered Zion. There upon the poplars we hung our harps for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell. “Tear it down,” they cried, “tear it down to its foundations!” Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us. Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

i think it was the walls of jericho that got broke down actually

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

LET'S GO 1.ANYTHING

1.ANYTHING SUCKS

But yeah, as always my hope remains that the rating gets low enough that they're forced to book like a sensible promotion again and try to actually make new stars. They had success during the Attitude Era primarily because they had a very solid 3-4 top guys, a midcard of solid workers, and fairly good storytelling, at least compared to the modern "stories." Right now I'd say all they have is a good midcard with guys like Owens, Cesaro, Reigns, Ambrose and Wyatt. Pick a few of those guys, even if they're getting bad reactions at the moment or aren't darlings of the internet, give them a good story and cool lines, and stick with them for more than a month. Off the top of my head, have Ambrose win the title off Rollins, Reigns turn heel against him in jealousy, build to a Shield Triple Threat at Mania somehow, and do some believable promos along the way. Then at Wrestlemania give another midcard guy the first clean win over Lesnar in forever and stick with that guy too. That should give you 2-3 new stars and away you go.

I mean, it's the typical WWE Rant.txt here, but still.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mystery Opponent posted:

A 2.3 rating in 2015 is not the same as a 2.3 rating in 1997, the TV landscape is completely different. This week, with the bad rating, the 3 hours of RAW were 4th, 6th and 7th top rated programs on cable TV on Monday. Frankly I'm amazed that WWE manages to maintain this kind of a rating on the reg

Don't spoil the fun

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I wonder if they've offered him this, or thought of it. Bryan in a non-wrestling position as an anti-Authority figure could actually be pretty cool.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Under the vegetable posted:

Bo should win the WWE Championship in a surprise rollup and carry it for several months.

You wouldn't even have to adjust the booking too drastically compared to the current champ.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I guess it makes sense that Bryan's career trajectory would follow Mick Foley's.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
GODDAMNIT BURNED MAN KEVIN WHAT WAS ALL THAT ABOUT BEATING KIDS WITH ROCKS?

Wait a minute... beating kids with Rocks? :vince:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mystery Opponent posted:

Yeah, but it's still bad for WWE since one of their big pitches is 'everyone watches us live not on DVR or Hulu or the WWE Network so give us more money tv networks' and either that's not true (it's probably not) or just a lot less people are interested in the ole WWE these days (also probably true)

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Half a billion YouTube views last month, no wonder nobody bothers sitting through all of Raw.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah, but it's still bad for WWE since one of their big pitches is 'everyone watches us live not on DVR or Hulu or the WWE Network so give us more money tv networks' and either that's not true (it's probably not) or just a lot less people are interested in the ole WWE these days (also probably true)

The art of goalpost moving is phenomenal on this board.

Not saying the rating is great mind you but I'm sure USA isn't raging even if Vince is.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It's a bad number for WWE because losing 700,000 viewers year to year is bad, and WWE still has 14 more weeks of this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

USA's average viewership is like 1.4 million, below an 0.5 rating in 18-49. I don't think we'll get that low without Vince being forced into retirement long before.

They don't have to get that low though. They're paying a good deal of money to WWE for the rights and the show brings in less advertising revenue than your typical show, even with the demographic advantage. They can be well above network average while still reaching a point where they're not really economically feasible for the network any longer.

The odds of hitting that point are admittedly low, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. I mean, they're not even in the heart of the typically dead period yet and they seem to be doubling down on retarded poo poo thinking it'll right the ship, so this could get realllllll lovely for them by Christmas unless the McMahon family reaches some type of self-awareness that we're all pretty sure they're physically incapable of.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if they've offered him this, or thought of it. Bryan in a non-wrestling position as an anti-Authority figure could actually be pretty cool.
Is opposing the Authority even a face thing to do anymore? The booking is so weird.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I hope they continue airing Raw and going more and more wacky with the booking until there's just 20 people, all of us in the GDT, watching (And 10 more posters who aren't watching). I won't rest until Zack Ryder: World Champion is the random thing they try to save the ratings.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's funny you think the panic booking will involve wacky stuff, and not just more old people

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The art of goalpost moving is phenomenal on this board.

Not saying the rating is great mind you but I'm sure USA isn't raging even if Vince is.

Just FYI, people on TNAMecca were saying this exact thing last year about Spike TV. I'm not saying WWE is in trouble of losing their deal by any means, but trying to put lipstick on this pig is just as wrong.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The ratings don't really matter but it's interesting to see what wwe does in response when they are low

Hace posted:

It's funny you think the panic booking will involve wacky stuff, and not just more old people
Did you watch Raw this week because it definitely involved a bunch of wacky stuff

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
If Daniel Bryan isn't allowed to wrestle again in WWE he'll just go to New Japan and carry on regardless. So WWE might as well bring him back and put him in a tag team with Randy "one concussion away from the farm" Orton and let nature take its course.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

oatgan posted:

The ratings don't really matter but it's interesting to see what wwe does in response when they are low

Welcome to WWE, were the show's made up and the ratings don't matter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So Xavier is going to get his trombone taken away like when Cena got JTG de-pushed for saying hustle and loyalty in an interview right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just FYI, people on TNAMecca were saying this exact thing last year about Spike TV. I'm not saying WWE is in trouble of losing their deal by any means, but trying to put lipstick on this pig is just as wrong.

In the case of TNA their ratings weren't actually that much higher than Spike's network average while WWE's are. WWE's ratings are valuable to USA for as long as their originals continue to lag and they still care about being #1 on cable.

• Locked thread