Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

EminusSleepus posted:

and expenses for this lifestyle:

Monaco and Cannes have a reputation for being a dockside brothel for young actresses and actors to secure a billionaire sponsor for the season. Its called Yacht Rent, and its age old Hollywood custom.

And yet Sandi able to magically bring that environment down a notch with her even-more-corrupt presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is left for a publisher or investor to get back after funding more development?

There is no monthly fee, right? All the shiplords have already been whaled out. The game has near-total market awareness among everyone that is a possible space sim customer.

The post-launch revenue seems pretty minimal, if not microscopic. I guess there is China, but things like the 100gb install size and presumably high system requirements for all the no-budget model work make it unlikely to translate into something that market can digest. The glut of people hungry for another WOW-like experience of fresh quests and old guilds wont gravitate to the game. The youth-trend-frenzy market is mostly in Dota and LoL.

All that's left are the people that are waiting for the real launch and review scores before handing over $59. But for the genre that group seems tiny as its a rabid segment and there is some incentive to already be a customer and fiddle with your hangar.

Who the hell would invest?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gryphon0468 posted:

Because I've been actually following the development, I've seen all the videos, read all the articles and seen how enthusiastic CIG are to make this game. I've met Chris Roberts in person in Melbourne last year. To those who follow development at the source rather than take the word of anonymous goons and trolls on the Internet, it's pretty clear the progress SC has made.

What is your take on Chris Robert's history of identical failures in game development and failure resulting in lost lawsuits in the movie production side of his career?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gryphon0468 posted:

Sure, $2486.50. Go on, howl in rage or laugh in disbelief. I don't care hahaha.

I can give this one to your for $759, a good discount off MSRP. Paypal is username at gmail, no spaces.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This is extremely my jam. Please post all good, exasperated rants in this thread.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How did the $8,000 of donut money come to light?

Also, while its explainable as a daily purchase, if I were mega millionaire already that got his vanity project funded on dreams, I'd probably pay for gratis food and staff holiday parties out of my own pocket to avoid even the smallest hint of fiscal impropriety. As I'd want to be able to keep going back to the well of public funding for the rest of my career and keep a sterling reputation for judicious use of backer funds. But with Chris I doubt that is part of the thought process.

Its like how Tim Schafer couldn't help himself to not take a poo poo in that same well.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 6, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

D_Smart posted:

I know the ship. But I am not going to reveal that information. Sorry. I didn't write that section to ruin surprises; that's why I only stated the obvious and based on stuff that was already hinted at or speculated on.

Derek, thank you for all your work on this. It brings me a little slice of joy while I wait for the Xbox One to implode.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Synchronized posted:

I dunno, I might cash out. I've been considering it, I'll watch for a bit longer I guess. I just meant to say that if I do lose it, its okay. I would never put money into an unmade spaceship game that I wasn't willing to see disappear. Of course there are guys that have put in 50K+, for what purpose, I don't know. If they can afford it whatever, I guess.

I can't imagine what's going on in the heads of people that put money beyond what they're willing to lose into it though. Some of the guys who I've spoken to who have actually borrowed to put money in or other such nonsense especially.

Why would you be 'willing to lose' any money where there is not an actual investment made that carries a measured potential for a financial return over and above your initial investment?

You cant short star citizen by hanging on (but it would be great if you could).

Get your full amount of money out, throw it behind one of those blue-sky tech billionaire space ventures and then buy the retail game for $59 when it comes out and pull money from your real Space Fund to buy fancy ships piecemeal after launch.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Agrajag posted:

sorry folks the convention is going to be delayed for two weeks because of blockers

I've always meant to ask, what is a 'blocker'? It comes up so much when reading screenshots of CIG forum posts.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This timer is incredible.

I am really looking forward to Chris masturbatorily cosplaying as a live tv director shouting about Cut to Blue Camera 1! at the expense of being able to actually cogently demo the product he is meant to be showing rather than getting stiff at the thought of looking like the guy that calls out the camera shots for monday night football.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

She's leaving?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Awful lot of "I" statements.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Why do you kick off a convention with a singular person's narcissitic Oscar speech?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"How much I have helped changed their lives for the better"

Holy poo poo, why woudl you phrase it that way?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

LMAO the whole miss america moment. She scripted all this.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Why the gently caress did that open with a speech about how great she is at her job?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You'd have to know the content, tone and full timing of that speech if you were going to "spontaneously" give someone flowers in the middle of it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This whole thing would be more explainable if it was all shot with Chris as a new Steve Coogan character.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Are the only screens for the audience those two waist-high ones at the wings that nobody can see? Amazing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A million square kilometers, with 38 missions.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The know the exact number of kilometers, down to the decimal, but nope, no idea about the date.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jst0rm posted:

THE FEVER DREAM OF A WILD COKE ADDICT WITH 90 MILLION.

You can really hear the cocaine-hastned degradation of his soft palate tissues. He sounds like kermit because he is speaking with a softball sized expanse of ruined throat and sinus tissue open to each breath.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Watch me tromp about on "super Cruise" as I look for space cock in the space toilet

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This is so bad, I love it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

pim pom bim bom pim gim pam pom pim pao pim bim

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Eyts A Trauhp!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A Neurotic Jew posted:

AHAHAHA the audience getting hyped-up for that missle and than no explosion animation.

And none of them will learn from that microcosm of disappointment to evaluate the project as a whole.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'll always cherish the memory of Sandi refusing to admit she's departing in her departing speech.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

beze posted:

What's the selling point here? Is this supposed to be like a space age WoW?

Lotta superficial bullshit.

Its supposed to look like one of those german X-Simulator games, but its a space reskin of Aldi Supermarket Manager. The satellite was actually a bottle return machine and the refuel pad was a faulty scale in the meat department.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yessss. More walking sounds.

Clop blop gop pop romp bomp clop clump

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

More huge bezels. Looks like Toshiba became the dominant-DNA zaibatsu.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cheering at the emptyness of the promises.

What a cult.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They are going to be trying so hard for the Spore demo continual camera pullout ecstasy.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There needs to be walking sounds here too.

Clomp clomp clomp clomp

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How many weeks away is blinking?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chris' insecurity and psychology of perverse perfectionism is really laid bare by all pre-apology and post-apology that he is so compelled to do.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Paladinus posted:

The cake looks lame.

Spontaneous flower budget blew apart the pre-planned cake budget.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I absolutely love that all this poo poo is happening. What a mess. Chris spent so much time disassociating the presented visuals from his actual vision. He must be in a troubled state where he came close to admitting that the "game" will never live up to what he wanted and so the eminent failure is then made excusable in his mind.

And Sandi having to get out first and away from the wreckage with her pre-retirement speech as well. Both of them know its going to collapse soon and they dont want their inner ego harmed by the vanity they put out in front of the world.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i wonder if they will implode spectacularly or keep cutting costs and slowly die with a skeleton crew in a few years like DNF

The payroll is so large that its likely they'll miss it completely rather than cut enough staff, fast enough to keep slipping out ahead of NSF charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sarsapariller posted:

So what did you think of the Con?

It went on a little long.

• Locked thread