Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This reminds me of that other star game that hasn't been completed for the past 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I'm surprised that nobody knows how gangtags actually work.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Where is all the money going from these gangtags being purchased. I demand to see financials.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

joats posted:

Where is all the money going from these gangtags being purchased. I demand to see financials.

Never mind, just keep spectacles like this happening every year. Thank you Lowtax.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
He looked like one of those films where they take a chin, turn it upside down, and put googly eyes on it.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

quote:

"Devs shouldn't criticize unfinished work of other devs, each developer is unique in their own right."

quote:

"Excellent TLDR, I agree with pretty much every point you made. Well done!"

Each developer is a unique snowflake that should be told that they are unique and special and their dreams can become true if they believe hard enough.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I imagine that's the last look he gave before getting smart bombed.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This "game" is an inevitable failure. I feel like i'm watching the progression of generating train simulator dlc for a space adventure. The only notoriety it will achieve is having to pay over 3k for a complete fictional, intangible, product. The only reason the "games" backers haven't jumped ship yet is because these are people who like to cling to a brand. Chris Roberts projects that brand of space exploration simulators as much a Gabe Newell projected his brand of what it was to belong to STEAM. However, Gabe Newell's product was actually feasible and marketed towards all demographics to help "better" PC gaming. Star Citizen is marketed towards Whales that have addictive spending habits and too much expendable income. If I made an average to slightly above average wage, this game would not include me in its demographic. I am not going to drop $150 to $2000 on something intangible that provides that same service as a $40 dollar video game. It disgusts me that the evaluation of price, product, and demographic, is not taken into account under polygon's or other "game reviewer's" videos or writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOh5pL4zCpU
This video seems like the reviewers are on a pay roll from the developers.

quote:

"And you can actually get in"
"Oh that looks like a starship."
"Isn't this awesome"
"Yeah"
"So, I can't actually fly this ship in the game yet. I can't take it into the multiplayer setting and dogfight or anything, but I can get in and out of it."
"you know that would be ok for now, that's kind of awesome."

So what we have is a love of a brand, ideal, the specular that provides backing without logic. However, their scope for a game far exceeds what can be reliably expected to be delivered so they require MACROtransactions that they can support the weight of such a huge budget and doing it voluntarily. So since their game is out of scope of reality, I am out of scope as a demographic that would enjoy this game, and since I am out of the scope of the pricing of this game I am out of scope of the demographic. Prices will remain high because power creep will cause ships to cost more money because those that spent 150 bucks originally will complain that a better ship can be bought for 20 dollars. So what the gently caress is even happening with this trainwreck.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
But who really is D_Smart?

edit: My sources tell me that he is Derek Smart a former game developer. Here is his Twitter. https://twitter.com/dsmart

joats fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I'm sure if creamsoda posted here about his point of view, we would all have a better understanding and it would help out Star Citizen more than hurt its reputation.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

The Mantis posted:

i saw someone in these and i think they got doxxed

please advise

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Omi-Polari posted:

Kinda. I doubt it's direct like that. Here's how it works:

Tech/gaming reporting and really trade reporting in general is all access-based. But more importantly Polygon is (I'm guessing) mostly VC funded. The VC types want to maximize views, which means the reporters are under a lot of stress to produce a lot of content quickly. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Where it gets far more shady is when the VCs want to drive funding into *the industry,* which then produces content that brings ad revenue into the publications. It's a glorious self-licking lollipop and is not even about Star Citizen per se. It's just how trade rags and VC-funded blogs cover games, tech, model trains ... whatever. CIG doesn't have to pay any publications to give them good coverage, there's just lots of heavy disincentives to do otherwise.

Edit: Basically this is a recipe for a giant blob of hype for every conceivable thing spreading across the media industry.

What I don't understand is why Star Citizen fans feel aggrieved and oppressed by Derek Smart and The Escapist. For crying out loud, 99 percent of the coverage has been nothing but breathless hype. The company has scored $93+ million. They have media organizations with tens of millions of dollars in combined VC funding promoting the game. In terms of crowdfunding games, Star Citizen is commercially dominant over all of their competitors. It's not even close.

Oh I understand the need to have good standings with developers, publishers, and other media sources. I am a fan of Giant Bomb's (a professional review site about video games) honest video coverage of gameplay in quick 30 minute segments. And I have read a bit about the repercussions and strange dealings with publishers and media outlets. However, what is being said in the video I have linked has no weight in sanity given towards what is coming out of their mouths. It might as well be as transparent as a GIF image of Chris Roberts throwing money around and yelling "talk about my game and we will give you more stuff". Especially since Giant Bomb has shown that speaking the truth, while upsetting to the developer, can be entertaining to the viewer. Honest opinions and media can still be successful but rare.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Wulfling posted:

I'm out! Finally!

Congrats on not falling down the hole and wasting more money on promises to come.

Were there any delays, backpedals, better offers if you stick with them or was a painless release?

joats fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

no_recall posted:

This is the best thread!

You can tell this man isn't lying!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Unfunny Poster posted:

Those were from 40 mins ago, he just posted this

Him being made into a cuckboy on Reddit must have hit close to home for him.

You are making him go insane on twitter.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

AP posted:

link?

https://twitter.com/TheRoadbeer

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
gently caress, that was a Doxx. I didn't know. I was just looking for a reddit article in google.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Ledenko posted:

You took a thousand dollars worth of ships out of circulation, do you have any idea what this does to the limited ship supply and economy of the game? You and your ilk are literally ruining this game.

He is just furthering the investment. Might as well buy 20 more for the eventually turnaround.

(don't do this)

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Of COURSE he would be a loving #Benghazi "truther".

Off topic, but is there a way to make Reddit readable in a way so I don't have to click "continue this thread" in obscure parts of the page?

joats fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Truga posted:

I honestly have zero idea what a cream soda is or how it tastes like.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

When people say cream colored, do you think green?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Truga posted:

I can stand behind a guy and his hobbies 100%, but that doesn't mean I won't also laugh at them.

You would stand behind a guy while he sniffs his sisters panties? Gross dude.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Thronde posted:

I just thought of a potential issue. Let's say (hypothetically, since we know this scam isn't releasing) the game goes gold. What sort of server structure do they have in mind? I've never even seen mention of the backend hardware. EVE is about to upgrade the Tranquility cluster AGAIN, and they still have issues with lag and whatnot. Unless Croberts 20k coffee machine doubles as some badass server cluster, I don't think their office IT guy's dell inspiron is going to make a decent server.

The real plan is to get as much money from "investments" of an unreleased game, THEN have that game play like utter crap while everything has been released half assed. Then they just sell the game rights to Korea for a profit. Look at Hellgate London as an example.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Szcwczuk posted:

I'm really impressed they are getting so many people to pay so much for nothing. When this is all said and done and the smoke clears I hope someone does a book or talk no how this was all done.

People will do dumb things for their dream space sim just like idiots will invest in lovely survival games.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

D_Smart posted:

"Star Citizen - The Gizmondo Connection" was completed a few days ago and has been going back and forth with legal. I got some more feedback from legal yesterday about some stuff I need to source, remove etc. Hopefully it will be finished this weekend and posted with Mon or Tue.

Looking forward to this!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Agrajag posted:

looks like poo poo

Needs a larger scoop, maybe some neons.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Gwaihir posted:

heh, that's a good point- Blizzard gets away with just plain saying :dealwithit: for huge launch day queues and lag, because fundamentally they know people will suffer through it because blizzard games. Other games don't get nearly that level of dedication or benefit of the doubt, where if you have to wait in a 6 hour queue, gently caress that I'm out.

Blizzard games are also not comparable to other developers due to their unique freedoms of budget and deadlines. There were one of the first big companies to turn independent or publisher/developer much like VALVE. There were some serous thoughts that BLIZZARD could have even been a competitor for STEAM, but nothing came from those rumors.

I think that getting to the point of a playable release is going to be the most problematic. If predictions are right, they will run out of funds and will need to look towards sources for further investment. What is the most logical approach? Right now it would make no sense for a reasonable investor to see a positive return on investment. Smart, third party entities are out of the equation. I predict that they will pump out a jpg or two when the funds get low, just to get the whales to sink further into the hole. Eventually they will be at a point where it can be called a game, employees will be cut to a minimum, copies sold, and false promises forever told until the project can break even or find some way to incorporate in game advertising income or some other third party profit.

Rumors of downsizing have already begun. What is the best way for them to escape with minimal losses?

joats fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Next stop is that early access dough.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
A good backer pays up and stays quiet. :)

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Skoll posted:

They're making a new Burnout game?

Burnout Rush 2049

IDK what the joke is. I just want it to be made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwRRpnQGLqM

joats fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbF8cWOLwEI

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Keith Elwood posted:

Google Earth coords please

Are you going to use them for malicious intent?

joats fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

So it's SA /DS now? We are a team! Everybody GO TEAM!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

D_Smart posted:

On Derek Smart - What Not to Do

LOL!! They're in full melt-down mode over there. And I keep getting messages to "respond" even though I'm still shadowbanned. I have no interest in creating an alt account. gently caress Reddit.

"Dig into public information" is a bit of an oxymoron.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

G0RF posted:

Seconding the mention of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbF8cWOLwEI

Sandi talks in much greater detail about her Marketing background, CIG history, and plans in this awkwardly conducted interview with INN. (This is worth listening to, as she's doubling-down on her credentials, education, and career experience to try to seize back some of the narrative from Derek. Methinks thou doth protest too much but whatever... )

This actually prompts a question.

Import/Export relations between Australia / China started to flourish in the 80s. It makes you wonder. CIG uses China to ship most of their goods-- a practice which makes little sense, given that the vast majority of their customers are in North America and Europe. Is it possible that Sandi chose China because of pre-existing relationships she and/or her mother developed in their import/export business? It's absurd to think-- yet, the fierce commitment to China is such a huge liability to the professionalization of their shipping business, and it begs the obvious question, "Why China?" It will always mean poor tracking. It will always mean 3-5 week deliveries to North America and Europe-- which is maybe 75% of the buyers. It will always mean an inferior solution to something she could set up in Europe or America. It will always mean a solid flow of "Where is my order?" type trouble-tickets coming in.

Yet-- despite the fact that she "studied marketing and law and managerial practice and a lot of that stuff"- she's apparently happy with a bog standard solution that makes little sense for backers.

Whoever the vendor is, we know they lose merchandise in their factory, then discover it behind boxes a year later and make it available for sale again as "NEW Old Stuff". Ben rubbishes it a lot on RtV-- as if joking about how poorly they handle the physical goods business is funny to those who actually want to buy the stuff. It seems so conspicuous that CIG would stick with China, stick with a solution is the butt of jokes on their own subscriber-funded live show. But maybe this really is the reason? Pre-existing family relationships due seems to cloud the judgment at cloud imperium.

I didn't put that much thought into it, I just thought it was a recent video that showed lack of confidence through speech patterns, pauses, stutters, and crackling and thought to myself "This is one of their MANAGERS?".

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

D_Smart posted:

Fort Lauderdale
Miami
NYC
London

Those are all very nice and important places to have homes, but what about the west coast?

Except for Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Florida ain't that great.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

MeLKoR posted:

I don't understand why people keep asking this question, there was never such a thing as ethics in games journalism. Can these people point to me when these legendary ethical times occured? They've always been a mouthpiece for games developers that got direct and indirect incentives to give good reviews. For gently caress's sake the Battle Cruiser 3000AD that was released in an unplayable state got raving reviews just weeks before hitting the stores, that's how I got burned. We're in 2015 and these people are only now discovering that games journalism is useless for anything other than getting a general idea of what the game is about?

The whole thing is like asking what about "ethics in wrestling journalism".
Kayfabe - The New Taqiyya? don't miss our special report

I'll stand by it that Giant Bomb is the most ethical group of journalists. The loving stories Jeff has told about bullshit like the BMX XXX guys flying journalist to a strip club for a promotion event and the crew's reaction was like, Ew, no thats loving disgusting and sleazy and we are not going to waste time and money to go to a loving strip club for a promotion event. Or the video of Jeff and Ryan opening the package of ground meat with bullet casings, hair, a flash drive, and fake body parts inside. It was a marketing package from bulletstorm. Once again they declared it as sick and a waste of money. Just really strange stories that make it clear that marketers in the games industry have NO idea what they are doing and love to waste budget. I may sound like a shill, however they are the only group that I have seen as trustworthy.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Beet Wagon posted:

threatened to bend him over a barrel maybe?

I dunno, the guy spent about 6 hours crapping his pants and then Smart let him go.

Well, Smart recommended that he delete himself from Reddit, so he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Wafflz posted:

wesha is the funniest cultist on reddit

"These dates are only rough estimates" Or "How can we phrase this so we can still pretend to know what we are doing if we miss deadlines."

• Locked thread