Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
  • Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Also for the people just looking into all of this madness, I think that the real turning point of the old thread and goon opinion on SC was probably around the time they announced FPS as a big thing. It was also the time around when they stopped giving a gently caress about the stretch goals that had anything to do with flying spaceships and you were getting a bonsai plant for 49 million bucks pledged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sarsapariller posted:

All those 10FTC links really emphasize that Chris just says stuff and then immediately forgets it. Run your own business! Shuttles for big ships down to planets! Beam weapons for large ships! Changeable ship gravity! Ancestral trees for your characters! Organization taxes! Cyborg limbs!

Chris unfortunately adopted the old improv advice of saying "yes, and"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

mdxi posted:

Everytime someone links to a reddit thread, the forum's link-shortening results in /r/starcitize...blahblah, and my brain keeps interpreting "starcitize" as a portmanteau of "to criticise Star Citizen". As in "Dr. Smart has posted another 6500 word starcitizm of Sandy's academic credentials and Ben's dietary choices."

Stark Criti-zen

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Shala posted:

Basically I see DSmizzle as having the same mentality one of those people who were wayyyyyyyy to invested in one side of GamerGate or the other. They both acted like they were talking to anyone in particular, rather than screaming into the void of the internet, and assumed they had some army at their behest.

VVV Derek's self-confidence comes from being a time traveler VVV

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2015 around 23:54

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

BurnBlackJay posted:

Is there a summary for what happened whit this game ? I wanna laugh to .

You can pay 100 dollars for a picture of PART of a ship

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...Biodome-Pod-LTI

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

Wi

What was combat in SC supposed to be like? More like long distance railgunning etc?

Generally when describing combat CIG would just say "Newtonian physics!!!" Over and over again.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Skoll posted:

So I just played a game of Angels Fall First. I was helming a Battleship, that had like 30 other players in it who were running around it fixing battle damage, or manning turrets, or flying out of it in Interceptors.

Anyway it was the middle of a giant gently caress off battle, I had no idea what I was doing, explosions and klaxons were going off everywhere. I rammed another battleship and we won.
That sounds great, like a space based Guns of Icarus. How hard was it to find a game and get playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=625_eECEw4A
Man, gently caress Battlefront 3

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2015 around 16:27

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Christ (Roberts) this thread moves fast.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I wish more CEOs would respond to articles by making personal attacks on the reporter

it';s refreshing

The only better thing for a game maker to do is perhaps threatening Gabe Newel's life but this does come close.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Even though this thread has had it's ups and downs it has delivered more drama than any hollywood film and more comedy than any tv series.

Generation Internet posted:

From the Forbes post:

Jesus Christ, I hadn't paid attention to this game since about early 2013. What the hell happened?

They switched from "more money means you get a better game, sooner" to "buy these pictures of ships and we'll add more games into our game which we'll add someday!"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The full version is still the best

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

All employees entering or leaving a CIG office will be required to stamp on an image of Derek Smart or risk exposing themselves as traitors and earning the Shogun's displeasure.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Been posted before, but worth posting again

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Even if the allegations by former and current employees are bullshit, even if CIG is still flush with cash, the turnover of employees, using concept sales as a main source of income, failure to deliver important features and improvements to the game and the verifiable scope creep is not something that can be waved away with "well, it's just jealous people with an axe to grind"

Gorson posted:

I wonder what Curt Schilling thinks of all this.

"They ain't allowing MUSLIMS in space now are they?"

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2015 around 22:28

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Bolow posted:

"I'm hungry"

Also I just realized, in a bout of massive irony, Chris Roberts has responded in the exact same way Derek Smart would have in the same situation.

“The creatures outside looked from Smart to Roberts, and from Roberts to Smart, and from Smart to Roberts again; but already it was impossible to say which was which”

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Meanwhile in a review for Line Of Defence:

Derek Smart rallying the internet to take down Star Citizen then having them turn on and take his game down afterwards would probably be the most appropriate ending to this whole story.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I really enjoy that there are people who are just releasing solid, or at least complete space games quietly while the battle of endor sized drama explosions are going on.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I guess CIG would need to have a shitload of things to show at CitizenCon to quell rebellion. What's the over/under of it being more embarassing than OUYA at (outside of ) E3?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

There are people who have completely poo poo on the world, ruined lives, conned people, and even committed atrocities, who honestly believed they were the good guy doing the right thing.

Lando, I'm already a demon

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Xaerael posted:

Lol at all the folks scrambling for their refunds now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfkNvOOiZ_8

Star Citizen: Evacuate the zoo

Star Citizen: What you've got is what we need and all we do is dirty deeds

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

doughny montana

Scent of a Wingman

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

D_Smart posted:

I have tried to stay in one corner of social media while this shitstorm continues. I only wanted to post here so that you goons are aware of my official statement about all of this.

1) Nobody "doxed" Chris Roberts. It’s FALSE:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snimul

2) He data mined our social media feeds and grabbed stuff out of context to attack myself, the researcher, and the author of the article.

This is the Harper issue he completely skewed.

http://dereksmart3000ad.tumblr.com/...media-discourse

3) This is how it came to this

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sniofq

The project is FUBAR. And anyone who says otherwise is an idiot who cannot be trusted.

That is all. As you were.

- DS

Please don't call us your goons, tia.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

Has this game crashed and burned yet? Unless burger chat is getting super intense, something had to have happened for there to be 1300 new posts since I last read this thread

Like TNA wrestling, Star Citizen is in a constant state of collapse but it's not burned to the ground yet.
An escapist article went live with criticisms of the company from employees. Christ Roberts went into full panic mode and posted up a wall of text to respond. Mostly saying the writer is part of gamergate, mouthpiece of Derek Smart, etc.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Eonwe posted:

we've got to be hitting peak crazy as far as star citizen goes

we just have to

"I am so mad about this article I'm gonna buy more spaceships!!!!"

-some rear end in a top hat in the year of our lord 2015

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

Let's summarize some key moments from the past week.

- Sandi tweets about how she "found" old college awards or some bullshit that nobody cares about

- Christ Roberts posting a 10,000 letter that starts with a piece against Derek Smart only switching gears to accuse a Journalist of being some kind of Twitter person named bandit or something.

- Something like 10 people fired from Austin, which has been described as a "minor restructuring"

- Wulf Knight has taken it upon himself to go after former CIG employees, and attack them or something.

- People have been pushed to tears and opened their wallets because a website article made them angry.

- People were genuinely disappointed that the hospital ship was only $900.

I'm sure there's more.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ragequit posted:

It's like the power up battles in DBZ that last across 5 episodes. Instead of gold super hair it's gold earrings and instead of yelling it's word salad. Derek is Gohan and Chris is Cell, but Chris is sucking up donations instead of townfolk. Derek tries to end it with a Kamehameha of 10,000 word blog posts, but will this be enough to defeat Chris? TUNE IN NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z.

I hope this is an analogy you can relate to.
Who is Mr. Satan in this analogy?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I wonder what percentage of people in the brown sea actually have doubts but don't want to risk getting kicked out of eden

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so for someone who dips into these threads every now and then to see a trainwreck, has anything at all actually been released? I keep seeing talk about modules--is there at least a basic flying-around or dogfighting module that's been released, even as an alpha or beta?

Also, what on earth makes game development hemorrhage money? After you've sorted out your engine and licensing and hiring, isn't it just a matter of paying your people their salary for an extra year or two? That latest ship sale alone paid for another year of a mid-level artist or programmer.
They didnt get the fundamentals in place and chose a poor engine for spaceflight and even with people who worked on that engine couldn't get more than a handful of people able to play on the same server IIRC

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

no_recall posted:

Also, every batman CRoberts needs his joker DSmart

It's more like Clock King versus the guy with the ketchup and mustard guns

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Time to transfer my pledge over to another lovely game, 40K Eternal Darkness here I come.

I mean, if there's a company I trust more than CIG to provide quality , it's definitely Games Workshop.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Agrajag posted:

How is it possible that nobody thinks holding a convention for a game that doesn't exist is a good idea? Lets also talk about the cost of holding this convention.

- cost of renting out the venue
- catering
- event planning
- entertainment
- whatever the gently caress else the plan on renting for the event

lol...

The announcement of Citizencon was definitely one of those warning signs of "this company is putting the cart before the horse"

I think it's probably a big moneymaker for them to get their biggest fans in a single room and sell whatever new thing they've come up and they might as well pass around a collection plate while they're onstage.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Star Citizen: Your belief is overwhelming

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Man I miss Larry Holland. I was looking on wikipedia to see what he's been up to and saw his last game was for Wii and PSP. That's the saddest poo poo imaginable.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

thatguy posted:

What's the best thing for a person to yell out during CitCon?

Probably doing a live re-enactment of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hell hath no fury like a goon swarm'd

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

(realtalk) I imagine it was a lot of rampant speculation about how this fake-game will have grand faction battles like EVE, since everyone seemed to think that it was going to basically be FPS EVE. This lead to people buying up every ship they could get their hands on in hopes that goonfleet would happen in SC

so, in essence, people with so little impact or control over their own personal lives felt a little twinge of glory giving crobberts their retirement funds and school loans

The moment I gave up on the game not being a complete scam was when they announced a sale of a insanely expensive battleship or something (guns literally sold separately) and they'd use the money they made from that to subsidize lower cost starter packages. Sounds cool! However, the number of the subsidized was ludicrously small (for an digital item with no real value) and most were purchased by whales who were going to have their NPCs fly them.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...nniversary-Sale

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of MSSV, I wonder if Kojima is going to be the next Celebrity Developer to hop on the Kickstarter craze. Nerds are nothing if not terrible at pattern recognition.

As much as I'm curious about seeing what he'll do post Konami, Kojima would probably be the worst game developer possible to be given the gigantic amounts of time and money that Kickstarter can provide.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

3 posted:

In the Tanker chapter of MGS2, there's a bucket of ice that when shot, spills ice cubes everywhere that are programmed to melt realistically based on size and distribution. It is the only part of the game where there is any ice at all, and has literally zero bearing on the rest of the game, Kojima just put it in because he thought it was awesome. And it was.

Yeah this has more of these insane details: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...thing/MetalGear

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

thatguy posted:

No Man's Sky was just demoed on The Late Show and the dude absolutely killed the presentation. It made me think of how terribly things would have gone if instead Roberts was showcasing Star Citizen.

Well my dreams are pretty big Stephen, it's like WHOOSH WHOOSH

*does swooping motions with hands for 10 minutes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Decrepus posted:

It is an IED an irony explosive device. If an enemy detects the mine they might want to peer inside the window, inside they would find a tiny sheet saying "This mine is about to make make you its bitch" just before exploding causing between 20 and 100 points of damage depending on how much real life money you spent on it.

• Locked thread
«6 »