Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Why do they keep pretending to build these gameplay systems for specific ships like space farming and space drink mixing, they're clearly not going to actually make them - they can't make any of their existing bits like multicrew or shooting as it is, let alone the 50th gameplay system to increase the scope.

They just seem an excuse for random staff members to write design documents and pretend to be game designers.

Does anyone actually think they're going do Cargo Commander based on a design document from the community manager? Anyone think there will actually ever be space court in the game? Or space astronomy? Or any of the fifty other minigames that are supposed to make their gameplay systems fun and yet connect seamlessly with every other bit of the design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I made a list of gameplay that isn't any further than a written post by a (usually non-technical) member of staff playing game designer like :lesnick: 3 years in:

quote:

• trade
  • exploration
  • industry
  • economy
  • science
  • law and order
  • shield management
  • radar ops/scanning
  • EWAR
  • communications
  • module overclocking
  • salvage
  • power management
  • avionics
  • cpu management
  • refinery management
  • navigation
  • cargo management
  • cargo loading
  • ship repair
  • character interaction
  • astronomy
  • first aid and surgery
  • space tribunal system (!?)
  • beverage mixing (!?)
  • space dvr repair (!?)
  • farm citizen (!?)

Did I miss anything?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

I think a pet system is only complete if it allows breeding, including cross species breeding with a realistically modeled gene system, including special breeding ships of course.

You joke, but people are suggesting this for the space farming on reddit:

quote:

This more-or-less sounds like there's a "recipe" that is to be discovered by the farmer. Wouldn't this really defeat the point of these "exotic" plants, having the recipe easily searchable online?

quote:

There may be an answer to that: genetic drift. While a published "recipe" may provide okay to good results, variation of seed stock, plus changes to ideal conditions in subsequent generations, means that each farmer may have to adjust specifically to what they have planted.

quote:

Do you want them to last longer, looks better, taste better, have better mouth texture, grow faster, require less fertalizer, require less light? etc. you find the 'best' combination for your market. hopefully seeds + pants have traits they can pass to children, (with some random variation) or be genetically cloned for an exact copy (like current day bananas).

I mean, I think it's bad enough everyone has to pretend that CIG is actually going to make all these minigames designed by non-technical staff members in their MMO, but when you start going down the rabbithole and thinking this tiny side activity available in a single configuration of a single ship is going to model genetic code including defects and mutation, and that you'll stake out a valuable market segment by designing for mouthfeel in a virtual world where that concept literally doesn't exist, then you've lost all grip on reality.

Virtual mouthfeel

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

quote:

One former employee compared the campaign for Star Citizen to the back of a book.

"You pick up a book, and what's the first thing you do? You read the back. The back is the best part of the book, because you can project what your experience is going to be. And usually the book isn't as good as what you imagine it will be," CS2 said. "With [Roberts], it would be, like, 'look at these beautiful renders of characters, and of this spaceship.' But none of it was real. He shows some artwork, and then people project what their experience is going to be. Like the back of a book."

These are my favourite quotes:

quote:

In addition to Gardiner's alleged conduct, many felt they were required to be on constant guard when addressing Roberts as well.

CS3 stated that it wasn't uncommon practice to round up four or five people to review an email intended for Roberts, to make sure there was nothing potentially upsetting in the wording. "His immediate response to everything was to insult people, and accuse everyone of being idiots," he said. "It was like the Eye of Sauron. You never wanted to say anything in an email or a meeting that would bring the Eye of Sauron on you. He couldn't control his temper, and had no problem making a public scene of it."

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
"Chris Roberts isn't a leader fuelled with rage, as shown by this rage fuelled, very aggressive refutation"

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Adventure Pigeon posted:

"Hmmm... how do I calm the agitated masses and restore dignity to my game in this time of trouble"

*begins to type out the word 'Gamergate'*

Quoting this so hard,

Anyone have a list of the people who quit/forced out from CIG Austin since last week? Some Shitizens are asking me

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Countdown has started, 42 minutes

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Haha, timer rolled over to 50:00

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Brown sea poasting statistics

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Walk sounds from LSD: Dream Emulator

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Ubisoft "clear the tower to unlock the nav coordinates nearby" game structure

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I'm the complete lack of music or ambience

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
At least it has route-planning

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Someone screenshot that referral program

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
$170 not $175, last minute change there

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Gary Oldmans bad southern accent

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
"Without victory there can be no survival"

Not exactly a great line to build up to

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

D_Smart posted:

Smoke & Mirrors as I mentioned in my blog last week

CitCon is going to be more smoke and mirrors. Just like GAMESCOM and every event before it. They have nothing tangible to show. If they did, all the stuff they have recently shown, would be in backers hands by now and in decent form. In fact, you heard it here first:

They are going to parade all the A-List actors - all of whom cost a ton of money - for SQ42. This despite the fact that the stand-alone game is reported to be almost fifteen months away from completion.

1) They are going to show the opening cut-scene sequence for SQ42 with Gary Oldman giving his speech, someone flying and landing, NPCs waving etc.

2) They are going to show Star Marine. Again. It's still a mess - and nowhere ready for production release. Reports tell me that if it gets released before year end, it would be a miracle.

3) They are going to show multi-crew. Again. Problem now is that, as of the last report I got, it doesn't run smoothly at all. And so they are now running the demo on super computers with 16 cores, loads of memory etc. Again, not production release ready.

4) And a new ship. Rumored to be the Vindicator fighter priced at $175 (UPDATE: This price has been increased I've heard)

There is nothing new being released to backers, other than another AC patch apparently.

Derek Smart was right on everything.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Oh God they're scope creeping Squadron 42 now as well!

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Chris Roberts is "a bit of a George Lucas on this stuff"

RubberJohnny fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 10, 2015

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
So most of the characters they spent all the money at 5 weeks at Imaginarium aren't going to be done to the "Tier 0" level of Gary Oldman and Rhona Mitra?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Originally Star Marine and Arena Commander were supposed to be "in-universe" videogames they would support as basically multiplayer service games like War Thunder and fund development through micro-transactions. Then as the game got further in development, they'd combine all of them into a Persistent Universe alpha of the full Star Citizen game. They seem to have stealthily scrapped this approach though - AC hasn't had an update in 14 months (and was 6 months late), Star Marine just got cancelled (despite being 18 months late) and its gameplay and AC's future update of Multicrew (also 18 months late) are instead getting integrated into the Persistent Universe alpha (no date so far, 10 months late). Maybe they realised they were making more than enough money from ship sales that they didn't need to do it?

I wouldn't be surprised if Arena Commander wasn't left to wither and die at this point - the codebases have probably diverged too far. The Planetside module (16 months late) is a bit of an oddity, it is a shadow of what it was supposed to be, with no NPC interaction, missions or shopping yet, just a lobby where you can /dance, but it is getting updated (and yet weirdly doesn't seem like it's being integrated into the Persistent Universe).

Generally refocusing and only launching and supporting 2 games instead of five seems pretty smart, even if from the outside it makes it look as if there's less progress happening because less stuff is being delivered (the backsliding of the shooter seems to be proper mental though, no explaining that).

They do seem to not be hopeless - there is some visible awareness that their production is a bit hosed and steps taken to fix it.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Remember when they sold the Caterpillar for $2500 and then had to stop because it was over some sort of federal accountancy limit where stuff starts to get looked at a bit more closely? And then everything they sold since was under that limit?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
That's just a standard damage state though, they're supposed to be able to walk around in the separate instance in multicrew, but instead people keep doing this thing where player 2 is locked into an animation so the external physics aren't acting on them and gushing over "OMG Multicrew, they must be so far along!"

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
That planetary terrain generator looks better than the Elite one already.

Lighting model too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

:frontear: will be rolling out their new terrain generator tweaks in a few months. One of the threads has a youtube video link of a stream the planet guys did to explain how they make them/are making them for the new expansion.

Yeah, those were the ones I was talking about that don't look as good as that footage.

Plus this Infinity game looks like it's only doing a single solar system, which should get away from the "mile wide, inch deep" problems. I think smaller titles like this and Everspace look like they're the proper return of the space games ahead of these overreaching ones that keep trying to be more massive.

• Locked thread