Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Writes letter so they can sue for defamation

Proceeds to insult the company they write the letter to

Good job guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

If they sue for defamation, wouldn't they have to present evidence of what's being defamed? I mean, wouldn't they have to disclose their finances, since that's one of the key points of that Escapist article?

Speaking of which, if they're going to turn this into their solicitors in the UK, what about the fact they missed their public disclosure of corporate finances they have with to the British government?

Basically yes. They're opening up themselves to being investigated to verify the claims of the article.

The worst that would happen to the Escapist is they would have to give up their sources, which will never be made public because it involves people's livelihoods and job status.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

madcow posted:

Someone posted earlier laughing about how they got asked if they were requesting a refund because of the Escapist article. They don't do that just to satisfy their own curiosity, they do that, at least in part, so they can document economic damages to the company as a direct result of the article.

Also people forgetting the allegations of racism and embezzlement in the article, which obviously can have a materially adverse effect on business, not just in terms of refunds, but it terms of business partnerships, etc.

Recording the reason for a refund is basic business accounting. Then again they should be asking everyone, but I have a feeling this isn't a professionally run company.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

The silence from CIG about the lack of money is telling. The most damaging part of the article was that they were running out of money and had made little progress. I guess their strategy is to focus in on a tiny hard to prove detail (that Sandi said something to an ex-employee?) and get everything else discredited along with it.

On the other hand if this goes to court and an independent investigator verifies the claims of the sources as far as financials go, the other claims will be deemed credible even if the HR office mysteriously catches fire.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love for this to go to court only to hear a prosecutor deny the claim that someone with a hairy cooter wasn't hired.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also good job at publishing a letter with Keefers personal email in the header. He's gonna get a lot of angry nerd emails.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Waiting for the new ship to release so they can fund their legal team.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if CIG will ammend the Escapists response even if it amounts to "nah, gently caress you"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

A lot depends on the judge at hand, for California's libel and defamation laws. If Sandi/CIG isn't considered some form of public figure (which she may or may not, based on California's definition), then all that needs to be proved is that the Escapist was negligent--they don't have to prove actual malice. CIG tried to lay the foundation for that by showing that other publications had refused to print the same allegations with the same information available to them. If they are a public figure, then actual malice has to be proved, and there probably isn't much chance of that (unless there's an email out there between Derek Smart and the Escapist saying something like "publish this! It'll destroy Chris Roberts!" and the statements do turn out to be false). But, essentially, it all boils down to 1) did the Escapist do what other reasonably prudent publishers would have done to verify the statements were credible and true (it's not enough to prove they were from legitimate sources--it's about the statements themselves) and 2) were the statements actually true. If either one of those is true, there's no case. If both are false, Escapist can be held liable.

So what exactly do you do with $1500 worth of "spaceships" in a "game" you can't play? Do you just look at them?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

The only time you're protected by the identity of the source alone is when you are reporting on statements from official sources, such as government officials or reports. If you're reporting on the statements of private individuals, you're liable for the content of the statements themselves if you failed to meet reasonably prudent standards of validating them.

so do you just look at pictures of your spaceships and make "pew pew" sounds while spinning around in your computer chair all day?

or masturbate to pictures of your spaceships like your tag implies?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

Im cumming.

cr: redo it. not high res enough. we need to be able to charge at least $500 for it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gryphon0468 posted:

You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

As much an idiot DS sounds like, he's been right about everything that's happened. His blog post back in July basically outlines everything that's gone down so far.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gryphon0468 posted:

You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

show us on the doll where chris roberts touched you

*pulls out wallet*

oh....

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gryphon0468 posted:

Wow you gunes are rabid! I never thought I'd get this crazy enthusiastic response. You all must have a lot of free time on your hands. I'm honoured, really. I'm even on holiday to boot! Thanks fellow gunes for making me feel so welcome :D

oh yeah, we're the ones with a lot of time on our hands;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inpuWTBhVB8

also spending 2k on pictures of ships, then begging for money online.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

Please be real.

it is.

he posts on reddit.

hes obsessed with sc.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gryphon0468 posted:

Yeah that's me, so what? I didn't make it a secret I am a SC fan. I must say your journalistic digging skills are quite impressive. I hear there's gonna be an opening at the Escapist soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd3OWyEeyZM

which do you like more, sc or got?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

bres0048 posted:

Gryphon what will come out first, SC or GRRM next book?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

i would have spent that money on a nice vacation or something myself. do you feel that spending 2000 dollars on a videogame is a good idea?

what videogame?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

Jesus christ this thread goes fast, any new evidence of CIG fuckery with money?

holding our cocks waiting for derek our lord and savior smart to post on his blog tomorrow.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

You've convinced me to spend my life savings on sc.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
how can she SLAAP

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

Peter Molyneux - Failed. badly.

Lord British - Failing, quite badly.

Who else is on the chopping block?

Kojima. Say what you want about the direction Konami is going, but it's well known that they had to step in and tell him to stop loving around on at least 2 of the MGS games. It's rumored that he spent a ton of money on things like music that he immediately discarded in MGS5, and it started to irritate the higher ups at Konami.

MGS2 had a ton of cut content and 5 was released basically incomplete and the end was rushed.

But at least he's released games.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MEET WULF KNIGHT - STAR CITIZEN WHALE (OK, PIG)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

cig should hire kojima i'm sure they could finish the game in fox engine

also metal gear module :neckbeard:

kojima couldn't even finish his last game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

The problem here isn't that you're woefully ignorant of the basics, but that you revel in that ignorance as if it's profound wisdom.

you try really hard to justfiy spending $1500 on a game that doesnt exist.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

thats the opposite of what you said.

wtf, are you really retarded?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

nopantsjack posted:

the reddit faithful are getting a little shakey
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nn26d/sigh_escapist_are_not_backing_down_and_intend_to/?sort=old&limit=500

Interesting because I haven't seen a single post like this not get immediately downvoted into oblivion or ignored, whereas people are actually discussing it now and theres like 2-5% of people who are concerned at the allegations rather than 0.

I really hope more people try to get their money back before this whole thing implodes and cr hangs himself with his belt from his balcony.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think their numbers are bullshit.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

Who's Brianna Wu? In 4 words or less please.

Some oval office.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked X3:AP, would E:D be my thing?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

So, uh, whatever happened to all the goons who used to post about all the pretty pictures they paid $200 for in this thread?

they're either getting refunded or still vigilantly defending sc because they don't want to believe they've funded a racist and cokeheads personal lifestyles.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

That's just Octopode though.

some australian limp dick was in here too trying to defend it, but he hasn't posted.

octopede though, very insistent that he didn't waste $1500 (he did. there is no game).

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

You'd be wrong, but I wouldn't want to take away the joy of people that need to be mad about people spending money on spaceships.

nobodys mad. we're making fun of you because you spent $1,500 and got nothing in return and you never will. lol.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

Let me assure you I am very upset about this, and totally convinced that the foremost legal minds in the world reside on the somethingawful.com internet forums. I've compiled a list of usernames and forwarded it to Derek Smart to assist in his own libel crusade.

are you upset because you're not on that list?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
ahahahahhahahaaaaahhaa

derek smart and his lawyers brought the funk.

i imagine cig won't respond until after their "con"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
summary of what ds lawyers said,

"you can't do that you stupid fucks"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kimsemus posted:

I suppose the con will also be an easy litmus test to see whether or not Dr. Smart makes true allegations. If everything he said about the con (citcon, not SC) is true, to me it goes some ways in making his entire platform more believable.

he should have released that bit of info the day before the con happens. blow everyones fuckin mind.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

True story I actually paid real money for that once years ago. I think it was on a bargain bin at Best Buy and I was bored and thought the box art looked like a fun game.

:ssh: It was not

still more of a game than sc.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

theultimo posted:

20k coffee machine

Jesus gently caress

um excuse me, it's a cappuccino machine

you dont just have regular coffee during a 40 hour coke and muff shaving binge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Alternately, he can release the name a hour or two before Citizen Con. It's likely that they have video and graphics of the new ship, with embedded text, or even physical signage which would be hard to change in that time. And real time editing would likely be noticeable.

They can literally make up anything they want right before the reveal. They're already selling poo poo with no jpegs, just a name. lol.

I'd rather see one or all of their big name actors drop out because of the racism and other accusations.

• Locked thread