Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
  • Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

I have tried to stay in one corner of social media while this shitstorm continues. I only wanted to post here so that you goons are aware of my official statement about all of this.

1) Nobody "doxed" Chris Roberts. It’s FALSE:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snimul

2) He data mined our social media feeds and grabbed stuff out of context to attack myself, the researcher, and the author of the article.

This is the Harper issue he completely skewed.

http://dereksmart3000ad.tumblr.com/...media-discourse

3) This is how it came to this

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sniofq

The project is FUBAR. And anyone who says otherwise is an idiot who cannot be trusted.

That is all. As you were.

- DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Jethro_E7 posted:

Derek has returned!

Derek, in your opinion, how solid is the info from the escapist article? Did the escapist work with you / have contact with you about this issue?

From my sources, most of what she wrote, I was already aware of. Some I wasn't.

I will let the author speak for herself

https://twitter.com/lizzyf620/status/649700436275036161

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

This was a long con. I said so right here, complete with context. You should read it.

http://www.dereksmart.com/2015/09/s...n-the-long-con/

And my next one "Star Citizen - The Great Gaming Heist" is almost completed.

They think they're mad now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

RuckusRouser posted:

Derek, if Chris Roberts finally caved and said he would step down as Chairman ONLY if you swore to never wear earrings again for the rest of your life, would you make the sacrifice for the greater good of gaming?

Yes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

I know the ship. But I am not going to reveal that information. Sorry. I didn't write that section to ruin surprises; that's why I only stated the obvious and based on stuff that was already hinted at or speculated on.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Romes128 posted:

What's in the other letter that was sent to cr?

What other letter? All the official letters are linked in the blog.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

Derek, question:

Could you ask LEGAL if there is any chance or ground to stand on to have a class action lawsuit? They've sold a product to nearly a million people that hasn't been delivered.

I don't need to ask them. We have enough people to file for class action; and that was the plan all along. This was never about me. Even though they keep trying to make it about me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

Just to check: when you say Squadron 42 is 15 months out from release, do you mean the release of the first episode, or completion of all planned episodes? I just want it to be clear later.

As I understand it, they were talking about the first episode because most of what's needed have yet to be created. Chris has been loving around with cut scenes and playing movie director. All this, oblivious to the fact that there's no loving game to plug the cutscenes into.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

The problem is that there's no proof you knew before hand.

Also you keeping saying that you've released 25% of what's out there and there's terrible stuff in the other 75%. Why don't you release everything you have? Why would you let more people be taken in by the sales at Citcon when you could stop it? Why would you let more people be taken in with the anniversary sale when you can stop it?

I'm guessing they'll throw the hail Mary and sell the F4.

Good points.

Fine. I will reveal the name at 4AM EST / 9AM GMT

Because most of it is highly sensitive material that I simply cannot in good conscience put into the public domain. It can only go into a legal complaint and sealed by petitioning the court. Remember, my goal is not to hurt them or kill the project.

I have written SIX blogs since July. I have done my bit. I have taken abuse from a bunch of assholic White Knights. So nobody can't say they weren't warned. In fact, I WANT them to keep buying poo poo. So when the crash comes - and it will - they get taught a valuable lesson.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

Derek. I sent an email to support@3000ad.com asking for a signed headshot. Can I please get that? It would be my treasure.

Oh that was you? It was forwarded to me and I was a bit skeptical that someone was just trolling me. Will sort it out. No worries.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

redwalrus posted:

Hi Derek,

If you were to recommend a specific jpeg refund method, would you choose ebay, reddit grey market, playerauctions or direct cig refund?

Nothing beats cold hard cash. Plus since I'm going to completely crash the Grey market by year end, you probably don't want to mess with that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Hey Derek what do you think about that idea of making a Derek Smart themed shitter?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ubscriber-flair

Edit: I don;t like that idea I think it is disrespectful

Well, for starters, it would be a fitting tribute to the man who flushed their dreams down the very crapper they'd be sim-sitting in.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

universal combat is cool and good and he should upgrade the art assets on lyrius conflict

and add bridges

A major graphics overhaul is what The Lyrius Conflict will be

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

What about the people that aren't white knights, which is probably 99.5% of the community? The people who just kicked in 30$ or 100$ and then stopped paying attention, why are you trying to hurt them, unless the root of all this is really just your own fame? What is the assholic white knights keep CIG afloat long enough to release some sort of minimally viable product?

Also, how can you get insider information stuffed into a lawsuit that will have standing? You know class action lawsuits usually result in the lawyers going home with all the money and the class getting pittance? Also that it's a years in the making process. If CIG is insolvent they'll be long gone by the time it resolves, and if they aren't, there's a chance that even they will have a a game out by the time it's done. What happens if their arbitration clause holds? What happens if you don't get class certification?

In this case I'm really not trollin', I'm interested to see if you or those around you have thought this through all the way.

Yes, all good points. Now you see WHY I've been trying to work it out with them? Hence my legal letter from Aug.

Their arbitration clause won't hold. And even if it did, it would be their fault it even became a legal matter because all they had to do was provide the financials as required to. Case closed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Dear Mr Smart. I just want to thank you for time spent on this E-Crusade. Its very important to me that the shithead Croberts gets properly poo poo on for destroying what would be my absolute Dream Game. I never backed it, but im still considering sending a refund request for my dreams and hopes.

Edit: What is the price of a mans hopes and dreams? How emotionally distraught can one be upon learning their very future, which was set in stone (the verse) is now shattered and scattered among the stars that you shall never see...

Mr Smart is the goons Jayme Dawson. Rip those CIG's to bloody shreds!

Well, I'm certain that your hopes and dreams are worth something. After all, that's why the legal system invented punitive damages, restitution and "pain & suffering" remedies

I'd say, in your case, $100 should do it. Go for it!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

64 job openings, 6 of which are in Austin. Tell me again why a company about to run out of money would be looking to fill a further 64 positions?

Because it's false and it's common practice for corps to have job openings to show growth and stability even if they're not hiring.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

Derek disappoints, as usual. Btw the ship will almost certainly be the Prowler, due to Ben stating its not the Crucible, and shares a name with a ship from Wing Commander and it's the only ship besides the Crucible left in the line up that is still unseen. It's pretty simple to figure that out if you follow along.

I will reveal it on Sat morning. No, it's not the Prowler or the Crucible.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Paladinus posted:

How likely is it that current shitizens buy more accounts?

Aside from the fact that the math is wrong (I ran the numbers myself and this chart also helps https://goo.gl/fz1Tso), there is no question in my mind that backers are creating new accounts and pledging. Heck, I have three accounts.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It's the Olympic to go with the sister ship right?

No.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Paladinus posted:

Hello.

Do you have any estimations on how much money was refunded to this date?

I don't have the numbers on hand; but it's quite a bit last time I checked from the people who contacted us.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Because it is common knowledge that goons ruin everything I will reveal the name of the ship to Beer4theBeerGod and he can then decide if he wants to leak it - and when. So, B4BG, go ahead and DM me on Twitter.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

Oh I can't wait. Btw how many people were playing your game on average? What was it, 3,4?

trbh, I don't check those metrics because since most of the game's critical components (aircraft, vehicles) aren't unlocked yet, there's not much to "play". My plan has always to focus on networking, stability, while doing all the easy stuff first. As a small team, we don't have the luxury of pissing around without direction. If the game wasn't even on EA, nobody would be part of the dev process. gamedev is not always glamorous but it is what it is. Anyway, aircraft and vehicles, as well as another open free play test are coming before the holidays.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Romes128 posted:

how many people are playing star citizen?

Less than 100 last time we checked the metrics. And that's from over $1m people. Yeah, there is that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

btw, I have seen a few references to DickWulf. If that's notorious whale White Knight, Wulf Knight, then read this piece I wrote the other day

http://goo.gl/CnAaO1

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

Thanks. It seems we have the same information.

I've also heard that the FPS and multicrew modules are nowhere near ready and will not be released during or immediately after citizen con (as if this wasn't obvious).

That's true. And I mentioned it my blog released yesterday

btw

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2015/10/...ar-citizen.html

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Dante80 posted:

We read that. How do you reply to this though?

https://kevin-dent.squarespace.com/blog/

Why would I reply to a rant? I didn't even read it. I glanced at it and move on with what was left of my consciousness.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Romes128 posted:

I missed this, but in your lawyers letter it says:

"These will be discussed in a separate demand letter to Mr. Roberts as this letter is intended solely
to respond to your most recent missive, within the artificial deadline you’ve created. "

what's the other letter about?

Oh that. It's related to the mentions in CR's rant in which he made various defamatory statements which Keith didn't want to get into in that reply (to Ortwin's laughably bad C&D)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

DS hasn't told me yet. Pre-DS prediction: Volper Bomber

Nope. That's not it

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

DoctorStrangelove posted:

People reply to your rants all the time tho.

LOL!! yeah, but in the case of this nitwit Kevin, he's not even important enough to give the attention. And I wrote the article because I didn't want to get involved in any back and forth with him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Wafflz posted:

wtf is Twin Bros GMBH? how many companies is the money spread between?

We stopped counting at 9. Seriously, 9.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Make this happen, Derek.

Yeah, I would totally do it if Beer wanted to co-host with me. We could set it up on my TwitchTV channel and totally gank the CitCon hype.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Ho Lee Cow!! That's 1hr of my life I'm never loving getting back! Don't you bastards have LIVES! Oh wait! Nevermind.

Anyway, I just caught up from page 212 and my brain is fried, my eyes bloodshot and I think my rear end is fused with the chair seat.

Oh, tomorrow is CitCon. I'm going to bed early so I can be up bright and early ready for the shenanigans. Follow my Twitter feed as I'm going to be trolling them through the whole thing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

So all this stuff? That's why Derek Smart has been consulting legal this whole time (if he had access to this aforementioned information).

Now, CIG fans have gone full "defamation!" but the thing is, most of what Smart has said has been opinion, and CIG has to prove that he knowingly or recklessly made false statements of fact for him to be liable for damages, in addition to proving that damages were caused.

CIG is very, very likely building a legal case for damages through the refund questionnaires. But Smart is saying: CIG is full of incompetents. CIG is over-promising. CIG won't complete this game on time and within the scope offered (which is already demonstrably true). These are opinions or actual, true facts. He's entitled to his opinions.

Allegations of criminal misconduct? That raises the stakes. Here CIG wouldn't have to prove actual damages, though the company (as the plaintiff) would have to prove that the claim was false. But Smart hasn't (!) alleged that CIG has broken any laws. Someone could presume that CIG is breaking the law after reading Smart's blog posts, but that's merely a reasonable and innocent presumption on the part of the reader.

Edit: Also what time is this CIG shindig on Saturday and where can I watch it?

Don't be silly. They don't have a case. And ANY sort of legal action, even if it's just a parking ticket, leaves their financials (the crux of the matter) open to discovery. I was hoping they'd sue me or The Escapist for some bullshit because then I don't have to wait until Nov (which is when the original ToS conditions for refunds and financials kick in, and is a crucial element of my legal complaint) to introduce them to the law firm handling it. No, it's not Keith. If you've seen him smacking Ortwin around, let me tell you, that's nuthin'.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Kimsemus posted:

Dr. Smart, can you give us your up to date opinion on what's been going on? Or are you going to wait for Citcon?

A bunch of things are happening atm, but I'm not at liberty to reveal yet. But as usual, Goons will know first.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

D_Smart fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2015 around 01:07

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

weird. don't img tags work anymore?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

3 posted:

I've got your back, Derek

Thanks!

That's weird. The tags are correct but it displays for you and not for me. Is it an account (I'm Platinum) thing?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

How I Would Fix Star Citizen

In case you missed it.

quote:

If I were somehow the head of RSI/CIG tomorrow, this is what I’d do:

CORPORATE PLAN

1) Fire Chris Roberts, Sandra Roberts, Ortwin Freyemuth effective immediately. Note: Erin Roberts remains where he is.
2) Strip all three of all shares in all companies (aside from Ortwin’s previously established companies used for this project e.g. Twin Bros GmBh which has been doing some refunds)
3) In exchange for 1 & 2, construct an agreement whereby the company would not pursue legal action against all three if no evidence of fraud exists or later uncovered
4) Work with the FTC on a reasonable plan to alleviate whatever it is they’re planning on doing as per their investigation
5) Hire a competent person with experience heading multi-studio gaming companies
6) Layoff all non-essential personnel and maintain the 3 (US, Frankfurt, Manchester) studios essential to the short-term goals
7) Further cost cutting by hiring experienced third-party contractors to handle critical work
8) Create a plan for the game’s production, communicate that plan to backers

DEV PLAN

01) Halt any/all production work on Arena Commander, Star Marine, Multi-Crew, PU 2.0. No more updates. Maintain as separate branch until further notice. See #7
02) Replace the CryEngine3 netcode with a more robust and massively multiplayer capable middleware solution such as either ReplicaNet or RakNet
03) Focus on Squadron 42. Strip out any dependencies on Star Marine, Arena Commander, PU 1.0. By retaining the core functionality of what’s needed for and crucial to SQ42, it cuts down on the resources required to maintain these differing code bases and allows SQ42 to go full bore ahead.
04) Focus on building the Social/Planetside module for those areas that are pertinent to the SQ42 story line. Nothing else.
05) Focus on building ONLY the assets (ships, planetside, weapons etc) crucial to SQ42
06) If SQ42 requires fps modes to move the storyline forward, either strip (since SM is required) that, or strip all non-essential items from SM module to the bare essentials
07) Setup a ghost team (4 people) to come up with a plan for Star Citizen (includes Hangar, Star Marine, Social/Planetside, Persistent Universe)
08) Hire a third-party contractor to build a parallel XB1 and PS4 branch for SQ42. Some backers are going to cry foul. They’re inconsequential to the big picture; so ignoring them is better than arguing. They’re going to still be pissed; but they’ve been lied to so much already, my guess is that some truth and hard decisions would go a long way. Alternate sources of legit revenue is better than selling goddamn pictures of ships!

END RESULT

1) A PC/XB1/PS4 stand-alone mission based SQ42 with space combat. And depending on storyline, stripped down elements of Star Marine, Social/Planetide. Note that SQ32 is already using the flight dynamics model from Arena Commander anyway.
2) A separate more manageable Star Citizen project with an open world MMO environment. Anything (hookers? farming? alien languages? – seriously?) that even looks like a pipe-dream, get rid of it.
3) A lot of pissed off backers.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2015 around 01:19

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

Octopode posted:

Derek Smart, noted game developer and technical savant, hard at work figuring out the complexities of imgur.

No, the tags were correct. Apparently you have to use i.imgur.com instead of imgur.com or it won't display in a tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

College Slice

redwalrus posted:

no, you need to change http://imgur.com/sVhkEPu to http://imgur.com/sVhkEPu.jpg
instead of inserting an image with image tag you're inserting a url

is this real life

Yup, that was it. Cheers! I just cut and pasted it, forgetting to add that. That's what I get for reading 20 loving pages of mind-numbing bullshit.

• Locked thread
«10 »