Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

The Glumslinger posted:

I've made better looking UE3 games

I also like their response of it being something put together for fun by the QA team. So the big video to get people hyped up for the convention was thrown together by people who should have been testing it? Or was it assembled out of bug report videos? And that if they hadn't made this, your marketing team would have not put anything out? And that this looked good enough that your marketing department said this is a good representation of our game?

All marketing efforts are currently concentrated on making new ship jpegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

G0RF posted:

I really think you're selling everything that's wrong with CIG's decision-making short.

True, but CIG can make even the most arbitrary and capricious decisions with approximately zero impact to 95% of their community's decisions to pull out their wallets and throw money, so there's that going for them I guess.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Delaying concept sales "forever".

Wow. So every month is forever now, sure is some infinity. I regret spending the money I've sunk into this "game" more and more every day.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

That's legit a great song nd I'm sure seraph84 would be honored if he were stills here but he went home like 45mins ago so you're poo poo outta luck.

I'll admit that it was amusing to see Seraph post in one of Beer's threads on the RSI forums a few weeks ago and subsequently watching as the mods nuked every single post in the thread that contained any quotes from him, regardless of how tangential the comment. Scorched earth policy.

Priorities.

Synchronized fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2015 around 05:38

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

"Unclean thoughts must be purged! The purity of the Hivemind must be protected at all costs!"

I'll admit that it's amusing that you kid think your own little echo - chamber is somehow above groupthink when it's blatantly clear to any passerby that groupthink is present here in spades.

Realtalk you guys, the level of toxicity and defeatism here affects everyone after a while, no matter how level-headed they start out.

Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.

I admit it, my three posts in this thread have thoroughly indoctrinated me from day one. Just looking at this thread for the first time an hour ago sealed my fate. Until I clicked it, I was pro-SC all the way.

Synchronized fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2015 around 05:52

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Sarsapariller posted:

Saved.

God drat it I was actually about to compliment him for saying something halfway thoughtful.

Regardless- Seraph, it depends on what you consider "Defeatism." Personally I think both sides are echo chambers and most people are parroting the opinions they think are going to win them approbation from their peers- it's just human nature. BUT, and I've said this before- this place may poo poo on you for going against the grain, but it will not outright ban you (note how you haven't been banned yet this time, or even really witch hunted?) if you disagree. I genuinely wish there were more people in here making a strong positive case for the game, because CIG are their own worst enemies and lately the quality of the average fan-defender has dropped dramatically.

Also, even if it is echo-prone, at least the echos line up a lot more closely with my own personal observations. Even if 70% of posters here are repeating "Lol doomed" because it's funny... if the game is doomed, that becomes a lot less obnoxious.

I was a serious business defender for a long time, I've sunk over 10K into SC after all. Having it fail is the absolute last thing I want, but it's what appears to be happening. I'm pretty vocal on the RSI forums about my views and I get attacked there constantly so I'm unconcerned about what my "peers" think of me. Thing is, I'm happy to have a reasonable discussion about my concerns and I still subscribe to Hanlon's razor vis-a-vis CIG, but I don't see much grounds for a positive case at this point.

In any case, I haven't refunded or dumped my ships in profit-schemes yet so that demonstrates that at least I haven't entirely given up, but it seems pretty bleak.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Sarsapariller posted:

Right there with you which is why I think interesting conversation has been at a minimum here lately- everyone's pretty much in agreement. I was already in the process of selling a couple ships and just decided to get rid of them all- I still have the locked stuff, but at this point I'm cash-neutral and I find that lowers my anxiety level a lot.

I'm still of the opinion that something will come out. I just think it's going to be a mess, meet a quarter of the promises, and everyone who bought a wave 3 or later ship is going to get severely burned or possibly even completely ripped off. I just haven't seen anything out of them that indicates an even partially functioning alpha is coming within the next year. To say nothing of the fully functional Squadron 42, which was supposed to be out... now, actually.

I'm in agreement with you there, I also expect something to come out but along the lines of what you mentioned rather than the over-ambitious space utopia being promised. I'm financially comfortable, so even if the money I put in does turn into a wash its not a big deal (though obviously nothing to be happy about), so I'm not anxious about it, just disappointed. I have a firm policy of not putting in anything that I wouldn't be willing to lose outright, though I am done putting money in now. My wallet won't be opening again for anything. Good call going cash-neutral though.

I just wanted a solid spaceship game, now look what its turned into.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

I dunno, I might cash out. I've been considering it, I'll watch for a bit longer I guess. I just meant to say that if I do lose it, its okay. I would never put money into an unmade spaceship game that I wasn't willing to see disappear. Of course there are guys that have put in 50K+, for what purpose, I don't know. If they can afford it whatever, I guess.

I can't imagine what's going on in the heads of people that put money beyond what they're willing to lose into it though. Some of the guys who I've spoken to who have actually borrowed to put money in or other such nonsense especially.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

The Glumslinger posted:

Your better off taking that 10k and burning it, atleast it'll keep your house warm this winter

And just because there are bigger idiots with more wasted money doesnt mean you made a good decision

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying I made a good decision. Just that for me its a neutral one due to my personal circumstances. Believe me, this is the last place where I'm gonna argue about my spending decision being good.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Sedisp posted:

No you are currently making bad decisions. It's not really even about the amount. This would be different if you couldn't get the money back.

You're right, objectively and from a personal profit standpoint it is a bad decision. It was a gut decision because it was something I really wanted to see turn out well. Emotional decisions aren't the best ones.

I'll probably pull out.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Justin Tyme posted:

It's good that you see it that way but you shouldn't even question it, you WILL pull out, there is 0 reason to have any money in a game before it is released. And be honest to yourself, you might say you pledge money because you want to see the project be a success, but you know deep down you are excited to be able to use all those different ships you paid for more than just being able to play the game period.

Oh absolutely haha, I wasn't trying to indicate that my decision was altruistic. I wanted to see it turn out well and I wanted to have the maximum fun I could get out of it as easily as possible. At the end of the day it was purely an entertainment decision, to maximize the enjoyment I could get out of it.

Shame that it seems like its not gonna be fun, which is really the unforgivable part.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Oh boy.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

SelenicMartian posted:

Who is in charge of PR and are there any black people in the future crowd?

There are no non-whites in Chris' utopia.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Can't even prepare a timer correctly, evidently.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

gipskrampf posted:

New business model for Star Citizen: Pay 500$ to decrease the timer by 5 minutes.

Another few mil in the bag.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Anonymous hate campaign.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

What is actually happening right now?

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Sandi is pretending she's accepting an award at the Oscars.

She got a bouquet. The circle is complete.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Already a thread on RSI gen-chat "supporting" Sandi and congratulating her speech.

Par for the course.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Congratulations on not having jobs guys.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Cuntpunch posted:

People not dedicated to making this game shouldn't be on the team.

lol

People with rational though processes shouldn't be on this team.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Those who missed the speech and want to experience it for themselves can see it here: http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/20068257

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Berious posted:

Crowd is very quiet. They're all thinking how much delay this will mean.

They're just waiting for their cue to cheer.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

A DEMO?!

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Pretty much a whitewash.

Oh dear.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Map is more impressive than the game.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

havenwaters posted:

Oh god. I forgot about the Million Mile High Club.

Ughhhhh. I can't believe that of all things they're talking about this.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

A.... Referral program.

I would be ashamed to refer anyone.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

I am honestly, really and truly amazed that they'd release a referral program for literally nothing.

There is no game. There's nothing. THIS IS NOTHING.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris doesn't give a poo poo that they are making a game, not a movie.

Evidently. It's baffling that cinematography is showing more progress and polish than anything gameplay related.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Eonwe posted:

someone please link Sandi's opening speech, i missed it

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/20068257

27 minutes in.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

CrazyLoon posted:

The best counter to any dipshit true believer troll right now is: "Hey guise! Where was the FPS shooting and fighting bit?! You know! The poo poo they actually showed off working 1 year ago?!"

Still drips off them like water.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

D_Smart posted:

btw, as I had previously reported, Sandi was about to quit. That's what the embarrassing opening scene drama was about. But Erin ruined it when he interrupted her at the last minute.

My guess is that she may still quit as planned.

Epic flower interrupt.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

randomcommoner posted:

This is the best thing to come out of a game in months though, if this was the kind of jpg you could buy at star citizen I could see myself joining.

Fly Gary Oldman's distorted face through space? In Star Citizen you can, for only $200.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Yes, they fixed it but it was up previously on the store page.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Furious Mittens posted:

Weren't a lot of the military ships sold before as being "this is the only time we are selling them! Once they are gone, they are gone!"?

Well, originally that was the stance on all "limited" ships, but of course that went by the wayside fairly quickly.

The ones they've put up now haven't been number-limited in the past though (aside from the Idris, though it has been made available in various $5000+ packs). They were "limited" in the normal sense though, yeah.

At this point anyone who actually believes CIG when they say anything is "limited" is badly deluded.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Aesaar posted:

Yep. And like I said, in the past, the Idris was always sold as "there's only 50 of these available". I think it was sold three times like that. Now it's being sold in unlimited quantities.

That's not entirely accurate. The Idris has always been available in unlimited numbers, it has always been in the $5000 pack. The other sales with number caps were just for the ship in a stand-alone capacity. All that's changed is that they lowered the price of admission to a $2500 pack to move more product.

For what should be obvious reasons.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

AP posted:

The thing about the sale is putting all military ships up will give them lots of cash but it's really just bringing the November sale forward. So it's going to hit the November figures.

They must be really struggling for cash, considering they've already reduced their work force by 50% since June and that's the fastest way to cut costs.

Yeah, exactly. This is the sort of sale we generally see in November each year, although this time its a bit more extreme than usual. I expect the $2500 package to move at a brisk pace due to people deciding what a great "deal" it is. Same with many of the "mil-spec" (lol) ships.

This sort of marketing is par for the course though, its just what they're selling in particular that demonstrates how money hungry they are at this point.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

drkeiscool posted:

Do they still say Hilton on them?

That is a picture of the actual poster and I can see the Hiltons in it so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

CrazyLoon posted:

Guess they've decided to commit all of their forum purge atrocities right now, when the full zeal of their ever-faithful is backing them with their shitposts all over the internet, huh?

Between this and Beer's permaban, it's safe to say that CIG forum moderation has now also visibly and willingly moved into the full out cult arbitrary status, considering they're now just blatantly breaking their most basic probation/ban rules. I was willing to stand up for mods like Toast up until now...but considering that he's part of this poo poo, and that it's going on with multiple people who have in any way been critical...yea, gently caress it - no sense in pretending anyone over there is 'good' by this point, sans them quitting or being fired for trying to actually do their jobs.

I'm half-expecting to get probated into oblivion due to my negative comments despite the fact that I have a clean rap-sheet on the RSI forums.

• Locked thread
«2 »