Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
  • Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

We are riding the crest of the wave my friends. This thread is going to be magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

1stGear posted:

Wait wait wait I don't pay attention to Star Citizen except to occasionally come in and see how much money you guys are wasting on a game that doesn't exist. Is this actually curtains for SC or something?

The short version is that there have been some high profile terminations, a bunch of not so high profile terminations, and lots of rumors swirling that they are hemorrhaging cash. Like, so much cash that they will be broke at the start of next year. Things look grim enough that many in this thread are bailing.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait what? It finally happened? This scam finally imploded and is going down in flames?

Now is our time of dying friend.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

working at CIG is like being part of a happy family

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I'm really looking forward to that point where there is completely radio silence, all media updates just stop coming and Lesnik and Lando or whoever hasn't posted in weeks and mass confusion starts to sink in. Meanwhile Octopode is still posting about how this is a completely normal thing to be happening.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

I seem to see this Chris fella doing that a lot with his arms, why does he do that?

His handjob game looks pretty on point imo.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Unironically buying this.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

but I mean that ironically

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Monohydrate posted:

I kept calling this space Darkfall. What should I call it now that it's pretty much officially never going to be released?

deez nuts

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Can a mod/admin change my name to Ortwin Freyermuth, tia.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

is it true what they say about Derek Smart?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mister Adequate posted:

Actually if there's an effortpost in the old thread about how the whole thing was supposed to operate, that'd be neat, because it kind of looks to me like even if they were delivering everything as promised it would still be completely goddamn insane.

It's hard to know what the game is supposed to be because the lead designer just says "yes" to whatever sperg-phantasm it's fanbase comes up with. It's a a single-player theatric space shooter featuring Nathan Fillion and Mark Hamill, but it's also an MMO featuring Harvest Moonships and Hamburger-Time minigames, and it's also the next big First Person Shooter. You can buy ultra powerful ships with real cash but the game is not pay-to-win. There are lots of dynamic space battles but it's not really PvP if you want to hold on to your precious ships. The game is basically whatever it needs to be at any moment. Which is easy because there is no game.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lesbian baphomet posted:

i would like to know more about the firings please, that sounds neat. sounds like the start of a collapse maybe, like the part where the train's brakes start making bad noises a few miles before it crashes. is there a press release or news article about it or anything.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...a-Boiling-Point

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

owns.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Thanks, a million times thanks!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

I understand that it has gradually taken a while to get to the point where people post stuff like this but as someone who just discovered all this at once it's loving insane

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Or perhaps DS and his minions are making things up, just saying?

Holy poo poo, sometimes I don't know what makes me more sad those white knights buying 1000$ farms or those who think DS and glassdoor are valuable and reliable sources of information.
Just copy and paste them all into word and search for similarities . An eye opener...

Derek Smart actually broke news about some of the most visible members of CIG being terminated or walking out the door, which later in the day turned out to be true. It's one of the major reasons star citizens fans are having breakdowns these days...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Karl_Ramseier posted:

You can be sure that he is tracking every linedIn page and whatnot to "predict" such layoffs and that he has at least one low level source.
Has nothing to do that the most things he says are blatant lies.
FTC, lawsuits, TOS (he is not even able to understand that a v1.1 TOS has a v1.0 TOS...) all bullshit and you can be sure that no ones beside the closest inner circle knows how much money they have left. Shouldn't be so easy to determine either with those many companies and subsidiaries they have.
But hey he was right with some layoffs so lets just assume he knows everything even if we know that most of the info can't be true or is totally unrelated to the case.

Having at least one claim come true within a manner of hours makes him alot less shady than CIG on the whole. Seems to me that if CIG had the proof to shut Smart up they would have already, considering they very clearly read and react to the stuff he puts out. Why can't they be held accountable for the money they've sunk so far? Why is that such an unreasonable request?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ciaphas posted:

I can't really tell because my ability to google about games is limited to work, is this more or less a shitposte thread or did something new and funny actually happen re: Star Citizen?

(it can be both)

This should bring you up to date:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...a-Boiling-Point

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I think the key to enjohying life is to think everything Derek Smart says is good and true.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Drunk in Space posted:

So after not really following this game at all since backing it in the original kickstarter, completely losing interest very early on, and sitting on an LTI Rear Admiral package with all the bells and whistles . . .

is this finally a good time to sell?

naa.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I'd like to humbly request that the Escapist article or an article like it be added to the op so that people who haven't been keeping up can have some idea of what's going on. People have been asking every couple of pages for a summary and it's good if we don't ignore them and also good if we don't have to keep repeating it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

yea plus he buys them pizza I wouldn't an alienate some guy who bought me pizza either.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Getting pretty hyped for Derek Smart's latest missive The Great Gaming Heist

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

haha he plans on releasing it the same day as CitizenCon.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

can anyone confirm/deny that Kevin Sorbo will be announced at CitizenCon? The answer has a direct effect on my families finances so please let me know as soon as possible tia.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

It's me. I am the doxxer.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who dox.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

The dam has burst. Holy poo poo. Remember when we were like "there's no way that one glass door review is true". It turns out Sandi is a loving monster. So much moreso than I would have imagined.

And if they really used the money for private real estate?? Things are not going to be ok.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Smart just put this out - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sniofq

quote:

In July, after I got wind of the Star Citizen project in trouble, unable to deliver, backer money being wasted, I started to investigate it.

I got in touch with Chris to try and get some more details from him. He ignored both of my inquiries on LinkedIn and Facebook.

So I continued with my research and subsequently published that first blog, Interstellar Citizens.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/i...ellar-citizens/

Then, in what can only be described as sheer madness, they lost their minds and made it personal.

They canceled my backer account, and refunded me. Without my asking.

Then to make matters worse, they sent out a press statement about my being refunded, and my account canceled.

http://www.pcgamer.com/derek-smart-star-citizen/

Then tried to make it look like I had somehow violated their ToS for the game and the website.

Problem is 1) I have never posted on their forums 2) I have never downloaded the game due it not being complete nor playable. They actually confirmed this in their legal response letter as mentioned in this blog.

http://www.dereksmart.com/2015/09/s...n-the-long-con/

Then they doubled down when Ben Lesnick in customer service, made a public forum post about it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...Comment_5304637

All these actions were taken in obvious retaliation for the blog and the fact that it got widespread release in the media.

As you can now see, they simply made it worse by making themselves subject to the Streisand Effect.

They bet on my being completely vilified for writing an opinion based and technical blog. Forgetting that I have been a fixture of this industry for almost 30 years and that sort of tenure has its merits.

So I kept digging and writing. All the while Chris and Sandra kept making defamatory statements about me both in writing and in person. And there are people willing to be deposed under oath about the aforementioned statements.

edit: meh nothing all that exciting or new. carry on.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I would like to cordially invite anyone who will not be asking for a refund at this point to explain why. I can't promise anything from the other participants in the thread but I, at least, will keep an open mind and I am not asking in order to ridicule you. I'm genuinely curious.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

CIG will continue to be inept at media relations and community management. They always have been. I was only speaking to the proclivities of the people here and elsewhere that don't really care about any of this beyond the entertainment value generated by the crossfire. The same ones spouting stuff about the game not existing or obviously being a scam despite the patently obvious thousands upon thousands of manhours of effort expended on it already, and conveniently waving away any evidence to the contrary. They will always find another reason to justify their viewpoint, no matter how little evidence there is to support it.

I can't imagine how much money you must have given to this project to keep up this sham.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I actually cannot bring myself to read past the first couple sentences of Roberts' response it's just too embarrassing.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I did notice that Chris sub-titled his essay "The Long Troll" though.

I wonder how long he's been keeping that in his pocket.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

In less than 24 hours, 1048 posts have been made in this thread.

What is going on?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...-of-the-Company

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...To-The-Escapist

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Incombibulator posted:

When would be the best moments?

a) when something in the presentation crashes
b) when Chris says "let's have some drinks!"
c) "two weeks"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I tend to believe it when people say Chris works manically, which in this case means smashing his way into the crevices of each project and dismantling the things he doesn't like without even talking to the people who made it to figure out why it was made, then leaving just as quickly to go take a giant poo poo and vomit combo on the next project, etc. etc., but then with lots of coke and caffeine to the point where he sounds like Christopher Lloyd at the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit whenever he has to reexplain his vision to some lowly engineer he's about to fire.

• Locked thread
«12 »