Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Iron Tusk posted:

Didn't they also say he was going to publish a direct response to the article?

Two Weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

BexGu posted:

That is the real kicker isn't it? Like what would have happened if this game only got like 750K, or like barely made it across the finish line? Would the lack of budget made Chris Roberts buckle down and focus on just the core part of the game?

he would probably do the same stupid poo poo just faster.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Eonwe posted:

we've got to be hitting peak crazy as far as star citizen goes

we just have to

well let's see, we have CitizenCon and another DS Massive Missive next week and then early next year we have complete financial insolvency scheduled so I dunno things look promising.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
if you don't give Derek Smart at least part of the refund you receive from CIG as a show of gratitude you are scum imo.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I just loled really hard thinking about people raging about this in the "Social Module" right now.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

They think they're mad now.

:a2m:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Imagine getting so deep under someones skin that they make this their header photo.

DSmart da gawd :cheers:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
whatever they have for CitizenCon is probably going to be sick as hell since it's what they're entire operation is focused on producing. I am unironically hyped to see some rad Mark Hamill motion capture cut-scenes set in space.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

terrorist ambulance posted:

someone please explain in plain no-meme no-irony english what is happening thanks

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:eyepop:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Eonwe posted:

It's actually insanely good

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

Redditor claims Glassdoor reviews of CIG compromise the secret currently and formerly employees sources of Escapist's article.

Seems drat near impossible to believe that could be true-- though certain parallels exist.

How hilarious would it be, though, it the author was truly pulling a Stephen Glass on readers, and Chris Roberts responded to phantom, unveriable claims by Glassdoor posters unnecessarily?

the claim is basically: "these glassdoor reviews mirror what we saw in the article, therefore what we saw in the article was from these glass door reviews". Wouldn't the simpler explanation be that the same people who are willing to talk about their experience on glassdoor would be the ones who are willing to be interviewed?

The guy trying to make a big deal about how recent the reviews are is also dumb - their have been a string of terminations that have occurred over the past couple weeks. There is no more sensible time for those reviews to exist than recently.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 2, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

thatguy posted:

What's the best thing for a person to yell out during CitCon?

nothing you can say you would be as good as bringing an airhorn and using it to comedic effect.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
if you are considering an air-horn but don't really get when to use it because you haven't seen the video, please watch it now for instructions. It is somehow even more hilarious in light of recent events than it was when it was made.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Madcosby posted:

it's just so hard to communicate with people in this thread. everyone tends to act like they were above whatever embarrassment SC brings out all along. You all wanted refunds all along. You all knew no game was coming out all along. You all made money selling ships.

what would you like to communicate.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Madcosby posted:

That more of you need to admit that you were bamboozled, understand now that SC was a scam, that all the jpgs, con events and "development" are just designed to extract more money, and that maintaining any financial tie with SC shows a lack of understanding, even having one ship "just in case".

when I first posted in this thread everyone told me I was preaching to the choir. Then after the escapist article some goons came out and said they finally want out. You need to persuade the rest to get out of this by being honest about being taken for a ride

I mean, I'm sure there are people who have sunk money into the game and aren't admitting it, but there really isn't much you can do about it so it's probably not worth stressing over :shrug: Backers remaining in denial is part of the entertainment, and you can usually tell when someone won't admit to being invested but are coming at the situation from a transparent angle.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Madcosby posted:

you do nothing but ingest the dozens of hours of SC crap they peddle out, then detail the highlights for people here. youre basically chris' pawn on this forums, you and beer. and you do it for free. at least that ham whale they keep putting pictures of gets paid to promote chris next commercial

Uhm. They post stuff in the context of being critical of the project. If they were just posting poo poo as a form of promotion they would have been ridiculed to the point of exile ages ago.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Madcosby posted:

i pity you the most of the people in this thread.

what are you even upset about. nothing you are posting makes sense. we're just hear to have a good time at Crobert's expense just relax. :unsmith:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Now that both Sandi and Chris have had independent meltdowns from recent events, I am hoping Ortwin Freyermuth provides one as well in order to complete the chain. He seems the most self-controlled, so it's kind of a high bar, but I believe in DSmart to take us the distance.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

shrach posted:

This is my final effort post in summary of the UK accounts situation.

Under UK law (Companies Act 2006) all UK registered companies must file a number of documents with the agency known as Companies House. These documents are all public records.

A company must file a set of their accounts within nine months of their registered financial year end (or if it is their first set of accounts, they have 21 months from incorporation).

Failure to file documents is considered a strict liability. Eg: Were the accounts filed? Yes/No. If the answer is no, the company itself is fined.

Failure to deliver documents is a criminal offence. All the directors of the company risk prosecution. On conviction, a director could end up with a criminal record and a potentially unlimited fine for each offence. This is separate from the civil penalty imposed on the company for late filing of accounts.

Prosecution of directors and the timeline can vary massively and there is no definitive answer to the questions you may have. When Companies House take steps to initiate criminal proceedings against a director, most will make it a priority to avoid criminal proceedings. Repeat offenders will likely receive less leeway and shortened timelines.

You can read about chef Gordon Ramsay's close encounters with criminal prosecution for failing to file accounts here.

You can check for yourself by following the links but presently Foundry 42 Limited, Roberts Space Industries International Limited, and Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited are all in breach of the law for failing to file their accounts on time. Once they have filed their accounts, you will be able to view them yourself at the links.

As directors of each of these companies, Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Freyermuth are therefore breaking UK law and running the risk of criminal proceedings.

Really interesting, thanks. Even if they are not formally charged, it's a good example of investor's money being mishandled in terms of the fines alone.

edit: which, if I understand this correctly, would be in excess of $5000 US?... please correct me if I'm wrong

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 2, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

shrach posted:

Not sure what you mean. None of the companies have ever filed a set of accounts so there is no way to guess how late they might be. The ones that are overdue concern the period ending 31 December 2014.

Woah. This is actually a pretty big story. I just wanted to clarify one more thing: When these accounts are filed (on time or no) they are made public online? So when/if they do get along to filing them we can look at what's being spent where?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Iron Tusk posted:

This is one part I don't really believe without way more detail. I don't think uk and German employees are being paid out of a us account. Among all the things in his rant, Chris's point about line level people having no clue about the finances is probably true. Unless the leaker is CIG's Littlefinger. As someone pointed out there's a good chance they aren't using backer funds directly to fund their operation.

iirc, the article said that the $8 million figure was "common knowledge" amongst the staff and expressed consistently among the people they spoke with. Which really doesn't mean much because these kinds of office rumors always exist and aren't necessarily based on anything substantial.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Zeike posted:

huh..who is that? 7

yea I would 7 this thread too if I could

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
The reporter of the Escapist article says in that podcast that there was alot of information that she did not include, saying that it was "very intimate information that was even more concerning than what I showed".

:wow:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

why are there like 3 eonwes in this thread

The last thread had this weird subplot where this dude who was pro-bitcoin and pro-citizen went berserk and was banned alot and would then communicate by buying everyone avatars, and at one point he bought a bunch of cute spinny elephant avatars for people.

He must have spent at least 200 dollars on avatars.

it was a strange time.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Cicero posted:

I worked at Amazon and it was fine. The worst part was getting massively stiffed on raises.

Working at Google is better in virtually every way though.

what are your thoughts on the movie "the internship"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is this a game yet?

yes it got a perfect score in famitsu magazine

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
has the black employee been fired yet

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:stonklol:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

AP posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/14724-The-Kickstarter-Burger

If anyone from the escapist is reading, if you could run a comparison between the failure to deliver Star Citizen via kickstarter, to the successful delivery of the Doobie's Dog House kick starter in your next piece, I'll love you forever.

Thanks.

I kind of get what they're going for, but this is actually a pretty poor representation of what happened with Star Citizen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

sorla78 posted:

The reason why I brought it up is not because of CIG, obviously there's something off there. But more about the driving motive behind the "investigative" piece from the escapist. Depending on if your goal is pageviews or the wellbeing of employees, backer funds or crowdfunding project, you handle matters very differently. Seeing the parental struture behind this all and the background of the managing editor, I doubt that we have any journalistic standards and principles in place, that aren't set primarily to protect them from litigation but not so much to establish quality journalism.

so what specifically about the article do you consider "unethical"?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

sorla78 posted:

I don't find it unethical, I just found it a lazy piece that wasn't going deep enough - IMHO it was just there for pageview's sake, the editor didn't do much research herself to try to validate the claims (follow-up questions). Most of the information it contained circulated in the last SC thread already. There wasn't much new stuff at all, they didn't even pick up on stuff that we posted, the various legal entities and their connection etc. Which isn't suprising if her way to approach potential sources is twitter.

This critique seems pretty lazy. Part of what makes the article valid is that she didn't include everything she was told. She left at least two sources out of the article because she e couldn't verify them. She was given video of an altercation inside CIG and she didn't add it because she couldn't verify the context. She was apparently told evidence that was even more damning than what she reported, but didn't include it because it might identify the sources. If the article was pure "click-bait" she would of just info-dumped everything she was told, waited for the hits and called it a day.

She's the first reporter in the industry who reported on any of this poo poo. Even if you posted in this thread regularly there was still some pretty nice scoops (Sandi's racism). The idea that she didn't go deep enough when she's gone in to more depth than her entire field is a ridiculous standard.

I just don't get where you're coming from, except that you're using the word "ethics" and "videogame journalism" together unironically, which is not a great look.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

bwahahahhahaha

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

AP posted:

Added the Morlan comment too.

Nice. I imagine there will be at least a few corroborating stories/articles this upcoming week now that the dam has burst. Then DSmart Da Gawd to cap it all off on Saturday.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 3, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

People seem to be surprised over how crazy the SC cult is.

Has everyone forgotten this?

http://youtu.be/blPpnnSOiwk

I had always assumed this was an edit :psyduck:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

300 employees at around 50k/yr.
Leases for 3-5 studios
Overhead for the employees
IT equipment, including DS or OC lines
AWS costs
Travel
TNGS, ATV, trade shows
Software licenses

And let's not forget motion capture, geek friendly actors, and if the escapist article is to be believed, private real estate and cars. poo poo is not cheap.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sardonik posted:

My refund is moving forward by the looks of it, they asked me if it was in regards to the escapist article. I told them no, it was CR's response to the escapist article. :colbert:

Probably gonna buy the Elite: Dangerous expansion with the refund money when it gets here. :toot:

they just asked you about the escapist article out of the blue? lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
The fact that they are asking about the escapist article to those who ask for refunds makes me think that CIG does plan on filing a lawsuit.

• Locked thread