Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I could understand if they were after a retraction and an apology, but that third demand for an independent investigation seems excessive. That with the overall tone of the letter suggests they're goading The Escapist to take them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

sorla78 posted:

- I personally hope that The Escapist stands up against this, it would kinda show that investigative journalism wasn't just an opportunistic decision to generate traffic when provided the choice, but that they are actually willing to go full skin. I personally doubt it seeing that their parent companies interests include corporate ad clients that include the games industry.
CIG has locked the Escapist in a game of chicken. If the Escapist retracts the article now (which they well might) after standing by it already then it's basically a huge admission that they aren't cracked out for this "journalism" thing. And if CIG doesn't follow through with their lawsuit (also likely) then it's a huge credibility boost for the article's claims.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Considering that the Escapist pretty much tripled down with both a follow-up article Friday explaining how they got their sources and standing by the story and a podcast all about crowdfunding in regards to this debacle with the author and editor-in-chief, supposedly with advance knowledge that CIG was planning on going a litigation route, I'm guessing that they've already called their bluff.
If they're pretty certain CIG only has a few months of money left then they'll be perfectly safe. :v:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

3 posted:

What I still don't understand to this day is if Smart and the Escapist are wrong, then it would be trivial to prove them as such. But no, let's have the head of the company write a rambling, incoherent letter and threaten to sue the mean ol' journalists for calling us poopyheads.
They didn't even need to prove anything. Looking around the internet the majority seem to have written off the comments simply because it's Smart and the Escapist. All a potential lawsuit is going to do is drag in the closer scrutiny of everyone else.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I haven't looked at Star Citizen stuff closely since the kickstarter but I'm assuming the fans still buying jpegs are expecting to have a full game at some time. What's the consensus on when that will be in their eyes - 2017? 2018? Later? Much later?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Then again there are plenty of creators who did deliver the awesome nonetheless. I was readin an article today with Yu Suzuki THE OG of massive game budgets and he was asked how he'll approach Shenmue 3 without the money he had back then and he was like " well compromise on graphics and make sure we can deliver a solid fun game and awesome story within 6 million." Which is in stark contrast with Chris Roberts and RSI in general.
That's actually really good to hear. I thought Shenmue 3 was a potential disaster in the making but if Suzuki has that attitude it's likely to pull through.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

madcow posted:

If the crowd funding were to dry up, they would just go seek out private investors and additional captial from other sources. With nearly a million "Star Citizens", if the number on their website is to be believed, they have already shown a market demand.
If the funding dries up it's because the market demand has dried up. Those million Star Citizens have already paid and want their $90 million game finished. It's a terrible investment.

Edit: Like I could understand if it's a stand-alone game like Duke Nukem Forever which you can flip for a quick buck. But an MMO that you have to keep running in perpetuity is a bad deal.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 5, 2015

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

madcow posted:

So... the total number of copies a game sells is more or less limited to the number a publisher sells prior to a game's release via pre-orders?

In any event, there are people with money that would disagree with you.
What I mean is, for the kinds of investors with serious money in this hypothetical scenario, what benefit does buying into Star Citizen give instead of starting a complete new game free of debt, drama and expectations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Saddest Robot posted:

It comes with an established base of customers who will literally throw buckets of money at you for nothing.
Yeah but we're talking about when all the whales are bled dry and their money spent on jpeg commercials. All you're getting are angry liabilities.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

madcow posted:

All this bullshit drama going on, no one cares outside a little contingent of superfans and their detractors. Any would-be investor would look at that article the Escapist published (assuming it is even still there come later this week) and recognize it for what it is, unsubstantiated tabloid level garbage.
You're assuming that this Escapist article is going to be the only bad press. When we get to the point where Star Citizen needs bailing out by investment money, there is going to be (and have been) a lot more. In that scenario, everyone is going to be asking where the money went. Whoever bails them out is going to be taking on all that mess.

In that scenario I can see the studios possibly living on, and I can see a Star Citizen being made, it's just not going to be the Star Citizen that they're currently selling.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

So is SC headed for Space Court yet?

Iron Tusk posted:

SQ42 cast announce
Didn't Chris Roberts say this was going to be the biggest name cast in the history of video games?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Kickstarter has been pretty great for small studios, the trick is to:

a) support existing studios that already have a title or two to their name (even if it's just Harebrained Schemes' mobile app, being able to ship things is important); and which

b) aren't run by someone who was forced out of the game industry a decade ago because he was consistently over-budget, behind schedule, and under-delivering.
I keep getting surprised how well developers who fall in variations of the last category get funded. Like Peter Molyneux's Godus for example, which went exactly as backers should have predicted.

Reb posted:

IS there are summery somewhere of all of this drama?/ what the gently caress is going on?
Here is the summary of the last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

In the CitizenCon presentation, did they reveal what role Sandi is having in the single player campaign?

1stGear posted:

The whole "Star Citizen will save PC gaming!!!!" nonsense is probably the one thing about this fiasco that genuinely irritates me. A) PC gaming is doing fine and B) saying Chris Roberts will save it is some golden calf poo poo against the man who actually saved PC gaming, our Lord and Savior Gaben.
It annoys me because I'm hoping for game crowdfunding to mature and Star Citizen is the complete antithesis of that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's "redacted"
The most open development in video games.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

The "save PC gaming" thing feels like a leftover of the rebellious attitude for early game crowdfunding. "gently caress the publishers! We're gonna make the game you want! Things right now? They're bad. But that thing you like? We're bringing it back, baby!"

Or maybe that's still around with new projects, I didn't really look.
It's still there, although recently it's more towards console publishers (Bloodstained and Konami, Shenmue and basic market forces, etc.).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mehrunes posted:

Why use placeholders, especially POTATO? It seems, eh, vaguely reasonable that someone changed a description that nobody would check and wouldn't come up on a search for "Vindicator" that would make it clear that there are people on the inside working against Roberts.
I doubt who wrote in POTATO did in maliciously. To me it makes more sense they were ordered to strip out Vindicator but had to wait for management to confirm a new name. Possibly minutes before launch so it doesn't leak.

I wish they stuck with Potato, that's a great name.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Eh, I'll withhold judgement until I play 2.0 for myself, but wasn't the whole "out of money" thing unsubstantiated rumors coming from disgruntled employees? The numbers being thrown around just don't make sense, unless the whole mismanagement thing is really true (but I feel we'd be hearing a lot more from insiders if that were true)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3npo4o/is_star_citizen_running_out_of_money/
Ignoring everything in the Escapist article, the biggest warning sign in that whole saga was the response from CIG (Chris Roberts and his former lawyer co-founder). That wasn't the type of response you expect from a project undergoing smooth sailing.

The fact that everything is focused strongly on selling more pre-order bonuses is another huge red flag. If everything was fine funding-wise then they could simply hunker down and produce results and let them do the talking. But they can't do that if they need to sell more virtual ships to survive.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The fact that Star Citizen has both promised "Functioning Economy! No Pay to Win!" and also selling thousand dollar packages is why, even though I know very little about the game from a gameplay perspective, I know it will suck.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Vile posted:

Who honestly plays games for story? 90% of the time games are great because... they are fun games with good mechanics. Luck happens to the other 10% and they have a good story on top of a fun game and those are the greats
I do, sometimes. But they bill themselves as stories and not multiplayer open world space epics. And a lot of the very best ones have budgets in the five or six figures and not approaching nine.

Also they don't try to make a serious space epic and then name the bad guys the Vanduuls.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1667407/?ref_=nv_sr_1

That's an awesome list of subpar/lovely movies.
Hey there, Shine was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. I'm sure that was due to the performance of Restaurant Customer (uncredited).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, if Croberts keeps scrapping poo poo, then it will never come out. He pretty much has to keep the graphical fidelity where it is now, otherwise it'll just be Duke Nukem Forever where you are just tearing poo poo down only to rebuild it in perpetuity before the money runs out.
Aren't they going to have to do some major rework anyway? I'm only going from what I've seen in this thread over the last week, but it sounds like all they have right now is a bunch of disparate modules which they hope to eventually snap into a larger framework, rather than start with the framework first and build the modules later. The rear end-backwards method they are using means it's highly likely the pieces won't fit and need to be redone (again).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's 3 years old, and just like its namesake never completed anything.
This isn't true, Star Citizen won a race against Critical Risk and Smuggler Lane.

It did lose in its races against Dr No and Don't Touch though.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Essential posted:

Heh, yeah I guess so. I didn't back it either and had the same thought as you.

Why not just build the original vision and then take all the extra money and build something unimaginably epic?
Because the original vision would cost more than $100 million too.

The pitch in the kickstarter was essentially several AAA games bolted together. It was clearly unachievable bollocks for the money they were asking.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

starry skies above posted:

So what's the deal of them planning episodic release of Squadron 42? Does my $45 get me all the episodes or only the first one?
It's not unusual for crowdfunded projects to split their story up into episodes, mainly because they are running out of money. It's what happened to Broken Age, of which I've seen a few Star Citizen fans describe as a "total disaster" as a counterpoint to SC.

I'd hope your $45 gets you everything but in all honesty from the sounds of things you're probably only going to get one if you're lucky either way.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

No. The opposite. You either A. Had ot have a game package with Alpha access, or B. buy the 5$ AC pass. They've done away with that now.
So what do you get if you buy the basic lowest level package right now? Can you play anything at the moment?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Eonwe posted:

You can barely do that with the $10000 package
Yeah but I thought at least that came with a 3D jpeg viewer.
edit: for some of the jpegs at least.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

madcow posted:

The only playable content out so far is "Arena Commander", which lets you fly around and pew pew against AI or other people in a limited selection of ships and on a couple different maps. There is also one racing map.

Lowest level package gets you one of two starter ships, a full copy of the game when it is completed, and some other stuff.

Of course, if you are of the belief that the game will never come out and CIG is going to go under, then it gets you a bunch of nothing.
Thanks. I'm assuming you still get that if you buy an alpha access package, it's the $5 extra for everything alpha currently provides that is gone.

A lot of crowdfunded games when they go over time throw open alpha access to beta or even all backers. If they are doing that then good of them for something right at least, if not then what is going on.
edit: ^^^ Thanks, good to see they aren't that screwed up.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

madcow posted:

They have always intended to release stuff as it was relatively complete, for testing, marketing probably, and because they knew people would get tired of waiting (as is obvious by recent events).
"Alpha 2.0" is very much term devised for marketing.

Even alpha is to a large degree. Everyone defines the phases differently but to me it's hard to argue "alpha" when the base functionality isn't there. Maybe the argument is that each module is individually in "alpha" in some kind of weird schizophrenic approach to development.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Wulfling posted:

Lots of non-americans essentially threw a massive hissy fit that they didn't want to donate money to American troops for various reasons. From Grr America, to What about my countries troops.

fake edit: Not to mention all the people who hate the military in general and didn't want to support them in any way.
Were they all cool with selling a skin for charity and pocketing half the cash?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

That is loving stupid to get upset about then. Like who care about which nation the injured soldiers are from? They need aid for whatever reason and getting mad an American based company is raising funds for a charity that focuses on their nations military is super stupid. Like that's mind boggling dumb.
It wasn't just injured soldiers though.

RSI posted:

The F7A Military Hornet upgrade pack costs $20 and 50% of the proceeds will be donated to the Play To Give Back charity. The donations will be used to support both Operation Supply Drop and the Honor Flight Network. Operation Supply Drop sends video game care packages to soldiers in high combat areas as well as soldiers recovering in medical facilities. The Honor Flight Network transports veterans of past wars to Washington D.C. to visit and reflect at the memorials that were created for them.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I love how this is carefully correct, in that it artfully dodges around the issue of actually having the ability to do it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tarranon posted:

I've said it before, but it really boggles the loving mind how terribly this whole thing paints the media
Yeah, I agree with all of this post. :smith:

I'd be more okay with how the media in general were handling this is this was a regular AAA game where only the publisher will be out of pocket, or maybe even a regular Kickstarter game where the funding had already been collected. But with Chris Roberts still selling thousand dollar jpegs to the gullible then all this "wow this is a brave new world of video games" talk makes them complicit in selling the impossible dream of Star Citizen.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't think they'll make the 2.5 million goal which will guarantee PVP multiplayer :(
The way kickstarters go they're fairly sure to break $3 million. There is always a huge uptick at the end.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Wait is this actually concept art for the game? Including the "Hairy Roberts" cocktail?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Also I think most people missed it because the drink picture is so bonkers but they literally would have you putting movies in a for each individual fuckin' seat (see the eject button)

Am I missing something obvious about why there is a shout-out to Crusader and Crusader:No Regret in there?

Also Bureau of Lies (2942). :tinfoil:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

To be fair for what other use would you use that buggy.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Hopper posted:

Conveniently he only counts video games.
That's because everything in the physical goods category these days needs to have a working prototype.

There is a hell of a lot less risk with the other categories. Board games that don't deliver get successfully sued, and the only comic kickstarter than I can remember not delivering was because the creator went literally insane and burned them all.

Still it's enlightening to consider that the reason for the Kickstarter video game slump might be because Chris Roberts took all the money to play Hollywood. :argh:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Eonwe posted:

also that is one lameass snack bar

i worked at a tiny company and I had a going away party with booze and lots of food, this dude works at a huge scam developer and gets some carrot sticks and tea
The image is phrased as the guy's farewell party to Foundry 42 so I assume he had to provide the carrot sticks and tea.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Notes from Reverse the Verse:

It's unnerving that they keep encouraging their biggest supporters further and further down the rabbit hole. Surely there has to be a point where you say "dude it's just a game" to some of these people.

quote:

On a side note --

what would have made the buffet acceptable, without being over-the-top?
Honestly that looks on par with my expectations for either an employee moving on or moving to another branch.

If I had any money in SC I'd also be okay with the expensive coffee machines and offices if it was there to provide a good working environment to the employees, because that translates to a better game. It's the focus on Hollywood, scrapping work and general backward approach to development that is the biggest issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Somewhat serious question, to date what has CIG shown for the Persistent Universe part of their game? Not the futzing around in the hangar modules, but signs of the overarching structure that allows flying from system A and B and doing stuff (any stuff)?

My quick search spits out a "demo" from CitizenCon 2014 but my guess from what I've read here is that may have been more canned walkthrough made specifically for the con.

• Locked thread