Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The funny thing is I'm fairly certain Lizzy F dropped out of Gamergate very early on due to all the personal attacks. Also from what I gather from a friend who keeps up to date with this stuff, they're very confused as to why they're even being mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord Tywin posted:

I wonder if some stab in the back myth will spread among the most insane backers after this invariably fails, that if it weren't for that darn Derek Smart they would have had their perfect game.

I expect it will be like Schafer, you'll have people going "Well he was hosed by publishers and corporate money men" and even the those saying "It's okay he had to spend all that money on half a game that missed its deadlines and wasn't that good." And you have others realize that actually, turns out he just isn't good with money.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Holey moley.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I suspect the mentions are because croberts is trying to use "gamergate" as a jar of bees. allude that this might be in their wheelhouse, shake them up, then throw them into the room. Not a good plan for anyone involved if it works, or if it doesn't work.

Just got sent a screen cap in fact that pretty much sums that up. Not image linking it because I don't want to cause a derail. http://puu.sh/kvLSU/7c571a6bbc.png

Croberts little cultists will go very far it seems.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's not like we've never seen it before. We saw it with Schafer with Broken Age and we're seeing it with Inafune and Mighty No.9. Projects that asked for little, talked big, got way more than they asked for, were late, and the product does not look very good. I think if Kickstarter and crowdfunding has been a lesson in anything, it's that sometimes Publishers exist for a loving reason. As easy as it can be to say those mean old businessmen are stomping over their free spirits, but really they're a bunch of people trying to keep a project on time. And it turns out when you put that in the hands of the fans they're far worse than any boardroom.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SirTagz posted:

Well that last comment if pretty much bullshit. It would make sense if Joshua was FBI and stormed CIG Austin office or something to get to the records but they just posted an article. How does that stop an audit or a cleanup or whatever. Wtf people are just loving up their own narratives on both sides.

If they clean up their act before the article drops, then when the article does drop you can sue for libel. Because at the time of publication, the information provided, at least on the stance of company finances, would be incorrect to what was pushed out. 24 hours is SoP for requesting comment, and the requestee is in their right to explain they can't give comment now, but will later, and ask for the article to be postponed. CiG didn't do that.

The fact that Crobert didn't say "Yes I will provide comment, but I need time" says that he wanted to attack, not provide a statement.

EDIT: It's actually a pretty common tactic, to not respond to your critics when an accusation has been made, and then to launch back, tearfully painting yourself as the mom and pop store victim being bullied by those who want to destroy you. That way the people on your side, will become even more fiercely loyal since they will perceive you as having been unjustly attacked, and you call into credibility to accusations of the accuser giving them a tainted reputation.

You can probably think of examples of this that don't have to be pointed out.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ladies and Gentlegoons I am pleased to report I have officially been accused of being Derek Smart. Where do I go to collect my badge?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

quote:

I am going to go with the one who shows their sources. The Escapist won't show theirs, and the fact that the article reads like it was written by Derek Smart tells me all I need to know about who their source is. Chris Roberts and all of the people at CIG are a much more valid source than anything that smells as if it's been tainted by Derek Smart. This is not the first time I've seen a self-important twat on the internet trying to spread drama for the purposes of advancing their own career.

Welp, every cult has to have their boogeyman, and while not quite Satan I guess Derek Smart just works for them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Exmond posted:

Sandi Roberts looks at the damage done by her husband, pushes him aside from the computer and starts typing. Typing the letter that will calm the internet, the letter that will inspire more people to join the cult.

"Rabid Puppies"

It is funny to see the cultists mind squirm, especially if they were on the side of groups like Vox and championed sites like the Escapist. Because it means a ridiculous amount of double think "No I'm not the braindead cultist who's Listening and Believing, you are for trusting the escapist!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

That's loving frightening for several friends I know, but I also know if I brought up those concerns they'd say it isn't like that at all and I don't understand.

Am I reading correctly that the person that wrote this piece named his son "Ender"?
[/quote]

Not the worst name I've heard for a child. I myself am privy to at least one Cantelope.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

JonBolds posted:

As I understand it we're either that or :perfect: - jury's still out, my goons. Still out.

How do you react to the claims that Liz only got the confirmation from Glassdoor and this is all a conspiracy to punch down at auteur savant Chris Roberts?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vermain posted:

The inability for vast swathes of people to understand when they're getting fuckin' reeled in by a scumbag like Chris Roberts is pretty drat staggering, honestly.

The funny thing is these people thinking that just because you're trying to warn them, it's because you want the game to fail. Because there can't be any other reason for telling them to open their eyes and use their loving brains.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The name Ender itself isn't bad, it's the association with Orson Scott Card that makes things uncomfortable.

When your a Sci-Fi writer who's a fan of those books, you could do worse. Like Hubbard.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

lamentable dustman posted:

The gamergate poo poo I dunno about other then he is one of their favorites. I know him for the Sad Puppies thing which is a campaign to vote brigade the Hugo awards (the top scifi/fantasy award) to prevent any scifi that had women or gay characters from winning. Its kinda made the whole thing a joke now.

Okay no, I'm actually jumping in and stopping this one. That's not what Sad Puppies was about and that's definitely not what Rabid Puppies was about.

So the short of it is Sad puppies came about because sci-fi writers noticed that, wait for it, it didn't really matter what you wrote, if you weren't in the clique, you wouldn't get an award. The idea was never to win an award or to stop others from winning. It was to prove that the presumed most prestigious award in sci-fi writing didn't actually consider your quality, just your politics.

As of the last Hugo's, before it, there had been 5, "No Awards" that had ever been awarded in the existence of the awards. This number doubled in one night, because 5 of them had only puppies nominees, these people nominated were men, women, varying politics, doesn't matter what they believed they were nominated for their quality. Which, for the record, is something that had been done for years in awards circles. It was not, as people would have you believe, something unprecedented and designed to kick the women and the gays out of the community.

The Sad Puppies existed to prove that if push came to shove, it didn't matter how good you are, only your politics, at the end of the night, they were proven 100% correct. They would rather deny a wonderful female editor that was well respected an award, then have someone not in the clique win. They burned down their own club house and called it a victory.

Vox is for Rabid Puppies, while the Sad Puppies just wants to point out the inherent cliquishness and see it gone, Rabid Puppies sees the awards as beyond saving and just wants to burn it down. Vox has a lot of politics and policies I personally don't agree with. But do not misrepresent what it was actually about.

I actually get loving annoyed with this, because I do write SF and Fantasy, so I'm actually aware of the poo poo that goes on. And I get really loving angry when people who don't know poo poo flap their gums and run their mouths about poo poo they have no clue about.

so your one paragraph summation.

Vox is a SF author with some pretty wonky politics who hates the inherent cliquishness of the SF community and wants to burn it to the ground so something new can be built. He wants to Senator Armstrong it. I don't personally agree with him on a lot of things, including that, but it has nothing to do about sci-fi with gays or women.

EDIT: and just for clarification, I don't vote at the Hugo's and I don't support either campaign, partially because I'm very lazy and partially because I just don't tend to enjoy conflict with people. I do like to keep myself informed of things going on in the community though.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tarranon posted:

the teens choice awards of genre fiction is shaping up to be a monster

See you can call it that but when you want to be an SF or Fantasy writer you get told over and over "The hugos are the most important thing, the most grand prize for you." So learning that, no, they aren't and no, it actually doesn't matter how good you are as a writer, it just matters how good a friend you are with everyone else. Kinda heartbreaking a little. I mean liberating because you realize "gently caress it, who cares what these people think?" But if you idolized that stuff growing up it can hurt if you made that your job.

I know a main problem people has is the clique tends to want to have its cake and eat it to. They want the Hugo's to be for them, so it's only for the participants of Worldcon, but they also still want it to be the most prestigious award in SF/F. Again, to me, it's liberating really, I never have to give a gently caress about these people because they proved to me that they don't care if I'm good or bad, only if I'm their friend. But I understand where the dislike is.

Like, this is from Brad Torgerson, who was apart of the 3rd Sad Puppies campaign (the one that just past, he both bowed out after it and refused to be nominated for the awards at the past campaign to prove that he wasn't lying when he said he wasn't interested in winning an award)

quote:

I would like this noted somewhere that a biased media hack or a vengeful troll can’t blot it out: 2,500 people from science fiction’s so-called True Fandom throws women under the bus.

Toni and Sheila are the two most-voted editors in the history of their category. Nobody has ever gotten 1,200+ and 700+ Best Editor votes, respectively. Not for short form. Not for long form. That’s historic. A win for women! Right? Wait, no. Its not. True Fandom ruined it with NO AWARD. Yup. The tolerant and inclusive True Fandom. The people who want science fiction to be a safe place for women. Until True Fandom throws those women under the bus.

Mark it in your minds, friends. Remember it. Know the truth of it. The people who parade their inclusiveness and their tolerance, threw THE MOST-TANGIBLY-SUPPORTED EDITORS IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUGO AWARDS, under the bus. By 2,500 people. To make a point. Women who have given decades to the business, got thrown beneath the wheels because people wanted to be right more than they love this field.

Deserving women. Under the bus. By True Fandom. The defenders of Hugo awards purity. Paragons of tolerance. Brave defenders of diversity. They threw women. Under the bus. Wheels. Under. By Trufen.

They cheered when it happened. They CHEERED when Toni and Sheila went beneath the bus.

And, just for clarity, Worldcon calls themselves the True Fandom. This is not some derogatory term that people have come up with for this group of cliquish people.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The fact that many of the nominees chosen strictly for their quality happened to be written or published by Vox Day himself is, of course, of no relevance whatsoever I suppose.

Considering Vox's slate was for people to vote "No Award" because he WANTED to see the awards be reduced to being meaningless? Yes, it has no drat relevance. He was happy to see the awards go the way they did. They gave him everything he wanted.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Omni, source your stupid grog quotes.

It's Onmi you gently caress

I did. I told you who wrote it. Unless you mean the grog quotes related to Star Citizen, which is what this thread is about. In that case, I'm getting them from my friend, who's laughing his head off at the insanity of them, I can ask him where he got them from if you really want to know.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Someone needs to go through these to see if there's a cipher begging for help.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nonsense posted:

GRRM is completely correct about that entire Hugo event and also his side won, which was the correct side. Also is this title cancelled yet? Otherwise the thread title is misleading and should be changed.

If by won you mean "Burned down their own club house and the Sad Puppies will be back for the next year so they didn't do anything but prove them right" then yeah, knocked it out of the park.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Adventure Pigeon posted:

They are pretty poo poo.

But lets keep them out of this thread because this is the bad star citizen thread's moment of glory.

I just don't understand how you become so obsessed with something to defend it to the death like this. Especially since it's not like Space Sim is lacking for content.

Nation posted:

so what do you all make of the people coming out and saying everything is fine

Reminds me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7sE0agEVNg

I have awful comedy taste

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

He's not defending anything, he just wants to change the subject to something that's not a boring as balls derail. If this was TBB, all this stuff about the Hugos would be interesting, but here it's really out of place - all we needed to know was that Vox is a dumb rear end in a top hat, the rest is just political junk that most in the thread either doesn't care about or doesn't have remotely enough context to care.

No. Idiot. I was talking about Star Citizen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

Well, fucker, why are you talking about the Hugos? Eh? Answer that one, genius.

In the post you quoted, where did I mention the Hugos?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Shala posted:

I would like to know more about your dumb awards.

Well I'm too busy watching an awkward goober show pretend he's making a game while people bend over backwards to eat their own asses in support.

At... 4 AM in the morning, I think I'm going to sleep. Maybe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Who's defending what now to the death?

Okay, gonna clear up "You" to refer to a generic person. Like "How do you open this door?" Not "You" to refer to Yourself

So in this case. How do the insane cultists who worship at Croberts feet become so obsessed with this non-existent game to the point of being willing to defend it to what appears to be the death? Especially when I think of a game like Elite, which is a space sim and seems much more fun.

I mean, right now they keep trumpeting out a reddit link that 'discredits liz' except actual analysis of the 'discrediting' shows that only one is close, and nothing stops it from being copied by the same source after the interview. And to me, they seem convinced that Smart is puppeting the Escapist to destroy Star Citizen to kickstart his own career.

But okay, lets assume they aren't crazy cultists, where does the escapist benefit in this? Because this has to be a conspiracy between Smart, Liz, the EiC and all of the legal department who's job is to expressly stop anyone from posting falsehoods that can get them sued into oblivion. So assuming that Star Citizen is actually perfect like these cultists think. What is Smart offering the Escapist to make the inevitable lawsuit worth it? It makes no sense from any stand point.

Holy poo poo

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Swear to loving god Chris's rear end must taste like rainbows and succulent steak because some of them they are trying hard to kiss it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

At least read from when the escapist article dropped which is somewhere around page 24?

It's a wild loving ride.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

By the way the latest insanity on other places is people claiming the Escapist should have posted the emails with the names blanked out (For the emails sent from Sandi that were abusive.)

Except by my recollection that violates an NDO, and it would simply take CiG checking their 'Sent' box for the matching text to sue any whistle blowers. Am I correct?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The hilarious thing is people defending SC have yet to point out how the Escapist benefits from lying. Because if they were lying, that would open them up to a libel suit that CiG could sue for a lot of money because he can claim they've actively cost him sales from refunds. They are convinced it's all part of Derek Smarts plan, but how did Derek Smart convince the Escapist to do this in the first place? What's the gain? I mean even if you say Smart temporarily benefits from it, that all goes down the hill once a lawsuit comes out.

And the escapist itself would basically be signing its own death warrant, saying "We know what we're doing is illegal, but we're going to do it anyway." Why? for clicks? a few extra clicks that will vanish to zero when the lawsuit hits? potential millions lost from exuberant legal fees and lawyer sharking?

I just want one person to explain to me where the magical loving benefit is. It's not like they're going after small fries like in the Stardock incident. There is just no logic here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EminusSleepus posted:

The lawsuit Happening has the same chance as CIG releasing star citizen

Well

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

This debacle isn't funny enough until Chris Roberts leaves his luxury house after receiving anonymous threats on twitter.

only for people to compile video evidence and show he never left his house at all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My new favourite quote from something my friend sent me

quote:

Here's the letter from CIG's legal department. (They attached a picture of the letter here)
Honestly, I don't really see this ending well for Escapist. Either this goes to court and becomes an expensive libel lawsuit between CIG and The Escapist (which they could very well lose), or The Escapist offers a sacrificial lamb in the form of firing Liz and retracting the story. Either way, it paints the picture that The Escapist was either negligent or malicious in publishing the article.
Maybe if it was just Chris Roberts firing off angry emails then the case could be made that he was worried about people actually looking into this, but now that lawyers are involved, he's clearly serious about disproving this and making Escapist take the story back.
Whatever feud is going on between Roberts and The Escapist, it's looking like they were not able to settle it without involving the legal system. The fact remains that Roberts' company was accused of illegal activity, and now they are going to make The Escapist defend their accusations in court.
If it turns out that The Escapist is guilty of publishing libel, it will be disappointing but we should not consider this a defeat for GG. The Escapist is a neutral website that updated their ethics policies in response to GG, but ultimately they are not representatives of the movement, even if the writer of this article claimed to be a supporter of GG.
This reminds me of what happened with King of Pol, except the implications of this are much more severe. If it turns out that Liz, who claimed to be a GG supporter, has herself been writing libelous articles against a game publisher, then the last thing we should do is circle the wagons around her. We are here to protect the gaming hobby from bad journalism, and it is looking more and more that Liz may have been participating in bad journalism.
We are not here to defend journalists who are involved with potentially shady activities just because they made positive tweets about GG in the past, especially if said shady activities included wrongfully smearing the reputation of game developers for personal gain. That would be a complete inversion of GG's mission.

He then proceeded to point out to me that the person can't even bring themselves to point out the obvious case of "And what if the Escapist is telling the truth?" He can only talk about the escapist being wrong, and even if they aren't wrong, losing a lot of money in court and giving in. It's interesting to look into the brain of a Cultist who on the surface is trying to look reasonable. It's like the uncanny valley of human interaction.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Phantom Pain has cut more content than Star Citizen has released.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Typo posted:

Calling it, this whole thing will end with Christ roberts writing a long rambling blog post about how sjws destroyed star citizen and how if everyone just left him alone he would have totally made the greatest game in the history of the universe. The actual game will either be released in a really buggy form with maybe 10% of promised features or bought out by another developer who sees a quick cash grab if the game is pushed out under semi-competent management. The very people whom he scammed the most will 100% agree with him and pledge to donate however much money he needs to make a new game and the cycle continue again with croberts possibly getting another mansion out of it.

Hey look just because his cult borrows literally everything from sjws he's not allowed to blame them after trying to play the outrage game with his wife as his shield.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

madcow posted:

Unless you are an idiot or fear reprisal, it is true.

Although now that I think about since Chris Roberts is a real life Scarface, I guess you raise a valid point.

Hello Madcow, I'm here to talk to you about careers. You see, even before the age of the internet what you did in the work force was typically kept on record when applying for your next job, the idea of being a pain in the rear end but gosh darn it he's so drat good he gets away with it, is a myth perpetuated by fiction. In real life if you're not in a position of power and a theoretical rear end to work with, you just get the boot.

As it turns out, having a lawsuit with your company may be a boon in airing their practices to the world and earning vindication, but it also happens to be loving awful for the rest of your career. After all, employers will look at you with a black mark. They'll be very wary of hiring you in the future, because if you are hired in the future you may wind up suing them.

So an employee has to honestly way that scenario "Am I willing to give up all potential work in this field, to deal with this problem?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

madcow posted:

You mean like kind of the same way that getting outed as the source of a disparaging article about your former employer would hamper your career? At least with a lawsuit, you have some potential to get monetary compensation.

That's why it's the job of the news is to protect anonymous sources In fact it's written into the loving law to stop the police and even the courts from revealing an anonymous source.

https://www.article19.org/pages/en/protection-of-sources-more.html

Even if the escapist were to LOSE the case they would not be compelled to reveal their sources.

EDIT: Even the mentality, for one, taking down a corrupt employer from the shadows with your name not revealed gives you confidence, if someone is abusing their power or running a scam you can take action with no danger to your own name. It also gives companies second thoughts about being immoral dick bags.

To put it into video game terms, Anonymous sources are like the Good option in crappy morality system video games. harder, but ultimately better for you. Lawsuits are the evil option. Quickly benefiting you, but hurting in the long run.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 5, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

By the way, this is old (from 2006 old and archived for posterity sake) but Totally games were not fans of Croberts way back when

https://archive.is/LdG0X

Also contains some information on the creation of X-Wing.

Some choice quotes actually

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 5, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I've reached the point I can't tell when someone is being sarcastic or not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

So let me get this perfectly straight:

People bitch and moan about how games aren't innovative enough these days, how they don't experiment or push boundaries.

Then someone comes around and says they will attempt to do that, attempt to do something that hasn't really been done before.

"Oh that's impossible stop wasting everyones time".

This is the price of innovation. It's taking risk and having a chance of failure. Remaking wing commander with shinier graphics and slightly improved physics is good enough for people? Really? And you wonder why the AAA gaming industry is utterly stagnant.

You want transparency, and then you bitch when you realize that transparency means you get to see who hosed up the creation of vidja games is. You love the sausage but you hate to see it made, and I say this as someone who briefly worked in an abattoir.

You want to know where transparency comes from? It comes from the weekly updates, videos, and Q&A's from the developers, and the CONSTANT updates to the Star Citizen pre-alpha build.

Edit: And let me say this, it's fine to criticize. But the criticism has to be based in fact, not in knee-jerk fear or dismissal, which is what a lot of this seems to come from.

If you say that's what you're going to do, if you realistically budget for that, if you set a reasonable time frame for that. Then I might buy into it.

They sold the game as shinier wing commander and then changed there mind, stacking more and more on when they hadn't even finished the base game they said they would.

I mean loving hell I'd accept it more if they released expansion packs building up the game than a monster project they sell non-existent ships for when they have a few buggy alphas.

The Phantom Pain cut more content than is out for Star Citizen. gently caress. Star Wars The Old Republic was a loving awful MMO but it at least made its deadline and it may have been a buggy mess but it was a game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

The thread that I've read is here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/663.881437-Legal-action-against-Star-Citizen?page=2

Note: 'User was banned for: Should you get arrested for taking a homemade clock to school?. (Permanent)' in the quoted post.

quite.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh hello Jason "Objectivity is a silly thing to strive for" "If you like the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown you are a Pedophile" Schrier, what's your take on all of this.

I'm glad we have such a responsible journalist who is attached to such a wonderful site and- Wait a minute! I thought Gamergate was about harassment! I can never trust Kotaku again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

You all like to gently caress dogs and cum in them

The same could be said of all religions

EDIT

We have a new game.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 5, 2015

• Locked thread