Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt Underpants posted:

Goonrathi Public Relations at work in the brown sea. My sacrifice for your entertainment.

thanks you for bringing the citizens to the yard

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

Holy poo poo, talk about games that I was certain were never coming out. I remember when this was still a mod for Homeworld.

Huh. I swore it looked familiar.

AFF looks incredibly cool and I'm going to buy it next week and then I'm going to play it a lot.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sorla78 posted:

Brandon Evans is now a confirmed fire.

Brandon Evans
Former UI Programmer at Cloud Imperium Games
Santa Monica, California
Computer Software
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bcevans

good

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agrajag posted:

I think I smell a true believer.

Who, Scott Manley? He's really cool, actually.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We let employees play games of D&D in our conference room in the evenings or weekends.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adventure Pigeon posted:

"Hmmm... how do I calm the agitated masses and restore dignity to my game in this time of trouble"

*begins to type out the word 'Gamergate'*

lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Eonwe posted:

I didn't read this thread for a few hours

What the gently caress

shits gone nuclear

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
thread amazing, good game erryone

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

3 posted:

hi derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8
MP3 Here

code:
the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
the man they all say never quite found a way
to respond to the lies and the slander

from his backers he scored eighty-six million bucks more
though the promises made were quite empty
that company and crew was a bone to be chewed
when the blogs of october came early

the game was the pride of all nerdlings worldwide
spending all of their cash for no reason
as the kickstarters go it was bigger than most
with rewards and good stretch goals well seasoned

concluding some sales with a coupla' space whales
while their deadlines were still disappearing
come three years later when their twitter feeds rang
could it be derek smart they'd been fearing?

the forums online made a tattle-tale whine
with the subreddit frantically wailing
and every man knew as the chairman did too
t'was the goons of october come stealin'

the sale came late and the videos had to wait
though the hit in morale was a small one
when the article came it was more of the same
in the face of a million refunds

when suppertime came all the mods came on deck sayin'
fellas, we'll just have to ban ya
at seven p.m. the last blog post came in, they said
fellas, it's been good to know ya

the chairman wrote in he had committed no sin
toward the broken, the poor, and the hateful
and later that night on his battered website
went the wrecks of star citizen's faithful

does anyone know where the love of god goes
when you browse those forums for hours?
the faithful still say we'll see gameplay next may
if you just spend a thousand more dollars

it might be online and it might be single player
it might even see a release soon
but all that we see is the hopes and the dreams
of the redditors, furries and spacegoons

freelancer's good, wing commander's alright
and the x series keeps on surviving
old freespace seems like a young nerd's dreams
elite and the rest keep on flying

and year after year it just keeps getting clearer
that a space game's just planning for failure
when star citizen goes just like everyone knows
will the goons of october remember?

in a dusty old thread on the forums they watched
the collapse of the faithful on reddit
and as denial began, they stood tall to a man
or at least five in the case of ben lesnick

the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
chris roberts they say always could find a way
to turn failure to more propaganda 

oppah!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lmao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shrach posted:

This is my final effort post in summary of the UK accounts situation.

Under UK law (Companies Act 2006) all UK registered companies must file a number of documents with the agency known as Companies House. These documents are all public records.

A company must file a set of their accounts within nine months of their registered financial year end (or if it is their first set of accounts, they have 21 months from incorporation).

Failure to file documents is considered a strict liability. Eg: Were the accounts filed? Yes/No. If the answer is no, the company itself is fined.

Failure to deliver documents is a criminal offence. All the directors of the company risk prosecution. On conviction, a director could end up with a criminal record and a potentially unlimited fine for each offence. This is separate from the civil penalty imposed on the company for late filing of accounts.

Prosecution of directors and the timeline can vary massively and there is no definitive answer to the questions you may have. When Companies House take steps to initiate criminal proceedings against a director, most will make it a priority to avoid criminal proceedings. Repeat offenders will likely receive less leeway and shortened timelines.

You can read about chef Gordon Ramsay's close encounters with criminal prosecution for failing to file accounts here.

You can check for yourself by following the links but presently Foundry 42 Limited, Roberts Space Industries International Limited, and Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited are all in breach of the law for failing to file their accounts on time. Once they have filed their accounts, you will be able to view them yourself at the links.

As directors of each of these companies, Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Freyermuth are therefore breaking UK law and running the risk of criminal proceedings.

Now why on earth would a financially stable and secure company like CIG not file their accounts I wonder. :rolleyes:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that, for years, this thread was basically true believers being trolled by the occasional person who'd come in and say the game was never going to be made. Now, it's flipped so hard in the other direction that the only way to really bait people is to insist that it's all a misunderstanding and things are going great.

wait a dicking second, how would you know what the thread was like years ago?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OhDearGodNo posted:

The one and only.

When you have the epitome of scope and feature creep criticizing your development, there's a problem.

it's incredibly unfair people care about what he thinks when nobody gives john romero the time of day

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Diakatana is a little different. Romero just had no concept of time.

The game was still done in about 3-4 years. The problem was the promised date was something absurd like a few months.

I can't remember but at that time most of q3w was using Romero as an insult.

In addition to having the financial discipline of a rock star, promising the moon and the stars, and being indescribably arrogant, yeah. Too bad the result was a piece of crap. Oh well, at least we all learned an important lesson and then promptly forgot it.

While the lovely working conditions at CIG have been thoroughly attested, I'm still a bit incredulous about the claims they've managed to burn through all their money already. I mean, how do you do that really? How do you burn 80 million dollors or whatver on this, 50 million of in 10 months according to the worst claims. I can't wrap my head around it. How do you do that? Is it even possible? SWTOR was 100-200 million and iirc the most expensive MMO ever developed, but they had 5 years to rack up that bill.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zmej posted:

dear god

wait did CR actually answer their questions or did some crazy furry splice their video on top of his answers?

he did. They went to their offices and got an interview with him. Sources are uncertain if they were in fursuits during the interview

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You think it's safe to go to bed and surely nothing is going to happen tonight anymore.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are they really giving out refunds

The drama this game generates is the only thing I know about it

Well it is the only thing there is to see really.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
loving hell this thread moves too fast

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jethro_E7 posted:

So when refunds happen, does the counter tick... backwards?

Guess.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what exactly is the souce on the financial situation of CIG?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's good that seraph is back

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MVP posted:

I'm Sandi_Gardiner in twitch chat and people loving lov eme

noice

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MVP posted:

what should I talk about

Ask if there are any black people present and then offer to hire them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
3500 new posts. What the hell happened? Did Doctor smart post again?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Full Metal Boxers posted:

So, just to clarify, it's okay to mention the number of pages added overnight and ask for a recap? And it's okay to boggle at the number of posts in a short period, as long as you use a hilarious form of curse in the process? And it's okay to :psypop: at the number of posts as long as you don't ask for a recap as well wait no nvm that's what I got probated for, but some people didn't?

I just want to make sure I understand so I don't get probed again :ohdear: Help me, Kewpuh, you're my only hope...

The cool rule kewpuh spends the majority of his moderation time enforcing is good and extremely clear and you'rt a retard if you don't get it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

peter gabriel posted:

But what does it mean?

it means you're going to get probated in the future.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Mostly dsmart bashing by those who happened to get a free key (the game was yanked from their account within minutes) due to the Steam snafu back in Sept. Some legit poor reviews there, but that's mostly from people who clearly don't understand the game, let alone the dev process for such a massive game.

Dude, your game is loving rubbish. I hate to break this to you, but you thoroughly owning star citizen in general and croberts in particular won't make line of defense not rubbish. Sorry :shobon:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kimsemus posted:

Holy poo poo yes can you please write a megapost explaining what happened from your perspective? A lot of goons haven't been able to catch up yet and some might be confused as to who you are and how you fit in to the puzzle.

So srs face, please do this thing. :wooper:

Did something happen?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fetus Tree posted:

Oh thats interesting

Hi! You're a really terrible poster! gently caress you!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
embarrased yoshi pooing an egg

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look at this thread
This thread is amazing
Give it a lick

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh good, Seraph is back. Hello Seraph! How are you? I hope everything is ok with you!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

All there is in that blog post is you denying the DMCA takedown had anything to do with you hating the creators guts.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Yes, it's a copyright issue because it wasn't a video made for public distribution.

That's not a copyright issue, that's a personal issue you have. The interview was publicly viewable and therefore of public domain, nobody broke into a vault and stole it from you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

I dunno man, but a very expensive attorney disagrees.

What does the opinion of a professional rear end in a top hat have to do with any of this? You're acting like an rear end with no good reason, going "it's legal!" doesn't change that.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

That was the gist of it, because some were saying that I took it down because I didn't like it. And that's false.

Yeah, but in the absence of anything but your denials about it being personal, that's what people are going to think. You don't convince people by going "nuh-uh!" for 500 words.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

I am a content creator, I know my rights. And regardless of what you - or any fool thinks - there are times when you have to defer to those who know what they're talking about.

The crux of the matter is that, in a term that attorneys tend to use, "she's conflicted out". And she put herself in that position when it became clear that there was a COI at play and was most likely the impetus for her creating the video and using my content without my permission.

You don't have to like (that's largely irrelevant), but that's just the way it is.

D_Smart posted:

Yes, I agree. And it was because of the COI that came to light when some people pointed it out, that caused me to write it.

Yeah? Where are you going with this? She doesn't like you and therefore made a video mocking you. You censoring her video because she doesn't like you doesn't make it ok, legal or not. It's still a dick move and the law is an rear end for giving you the right to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Shameless plug.

Any Goon who already has access to the WIP Line Of Defense, probably knows that the networking code is solid and that we've had multi-crew for over two years now. In fact, we have an Automated Transport System (one test node on Heatwave and the other in space) in the builds and which multiple people can sit in while it flies around.

Oh, and the Starguard carrier is an entire ship. In space. You can run around inside. And in the final version, it too will fly around space. While gamers are doing all kinds of poo poo inside.

1) 2010 - 2015 (exclude one year after I trashed the entire engine and built a new one starting in mid 2011)
2) less than 16 (currently 7, going up to 12-14 now that we're revamping some of the asset textures such as characters, weapons, vehicles etc)
3) less than $12m (to date)

Bigger, more feature rich and technologically efficient, and complete than this $93m disaster in the making.

Just sayin' :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw-cwIGuy0

lmao

• Locked thread