Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Remember.

Nobody at CIG is lying to you. Probably.

https://archive.is/bBXzt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol what is this stupid gently caress even saying

please keep buying more ships

Į\_(ツ)_/Į According to them it's not even a game.

https://archive.is/4BNeA

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

"Current assets are good starting points, but even we don't yet know what the final budget for those will be. "
https://archive.is/z0lTV

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only person who is better than Jared at endlessly talking about nothing is Chris Roberts.

You're correct.
"My dream is to make Star Citizen a 100% community funded game, with the investor money being only for contingency. "
https://archive.is/S1sez

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Loxbourne posted:

What's this referring to?

"As usual, people are intentionally creating drama for the attention it garners. Mr. Mayberry has a very ill close relation and has been on leave for some months now. It's none of our business, and not indicative of anything; Despite what some of the louder detractors would wish." https://archive.is/EO7uX

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart...h5y/retraction/

:^)

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I've always thought it was super interesting how some people can track people down based on their interbutts activity. This is the best tv show ever.

D_Smart if you send me some of my personal information I'll buy the wtchris emote for everyone.

Well.

Beet Wagon posted:

I also live in Florida. Can we just go have a SmartCon and drink margaritas with him?

Pay up.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

He demodded himself.

https://archive.is/4lYyc
https://www.reddit.com/user/ilovecreamsoda

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

He made the subreddit private.

Still half assing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitDerekSmartSays/

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

What a bitch

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

:^)

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbF8cWOLwEI
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<transcript>
Hello citizens, Iím David from INN and with me is Sandi!
Hi everybody!
So let's start with, how did you get your start in marketing. What got you interested
in marking in general because youíve done more than just Star Citizen.
I guess itís something Iíve been doing since I was a small child, my mother had an
import exporse business in australia, so we would do a lot of trade shows around the country
and internationally. So she taught me a lot about positioning a brand, how to be, I mean
in a tradeshow you have to be intimate
You have to sell it, sell yourself
Yes, exactly, and youíre very intimate with the people and of course when I was a child,
there was no internet so you really had to.
Word of mouth was important
Exactly, that was how you marketed something, was to do something by word of mouth and for
it to go viral through your friends and then I got a couple of small business grants, I
had a swimsuit company, I ran nightclubs, Iíve done a lot in the fashion industry.
I did commercial real estate development marketing. Also at the australian graduate school of
management I studied marketing and law and managerial practice and a lot of that stuff,
Yes
So youíre pretty well educated
Yes *laughs* Yup
So once the bulk of Star Citizen's marketing campaign is done, do you have any plans to
go back into any marketing of fashion or acting or trying something else?
Iím not sure. I mean when I started this project in june or july of 2012 and I wrote
the campaign I really didnít; I mean weíre three years later, this project is a moment
to moment experience, yes of course Iíve written a marketing plan however being open
development, it presents its own challenges.
It happens when it happens
Right, I honestly havenít had time to say right, well Iím going back into fashion
or Iím going back into acting because itís such an all encompassing job.
So I guess when you first took on the job I guess director of marketing your official
title or?
Yeah
Okay so when you first took over the job as director of marketing, did you expect to be
doing it for going on more than three years now?
No, I honestly expected, I mean chris did interview other people for this job and you
know like I said at the time well Iím not sure if people are really understanding his
vision and you know I clearly have a good understanding of how chris thinks and how
he works and the two of us have a similar sense of style and how like to engage with
people. I think that made a big difference because any other marketing person, itís
hard to know what chrisís full vision is on a daily basis
Itís hard for us as fans to sometimes know what chrisís vision is so someone coming
from the outside and market to it I can see that being,
Right, and so then itís also a lot of shortcutting in thinking in as much as that I would say
to him right, I want a teaser site, you know with the forty two, I want to have a concierge
service, I want customer service in the gaming industry to be completely different so Iím
coming from different backgrounds
And the customer service that you guys have so far is phenomenal
Thank you! Yeah I trained all of our staff and itís definitely a different way of thinking
Itís great, Iíve only had a few interactions but every single one of them has been better
than the last.
So I kind of feel like the job snowballed
Right
Because the merchandise for example, I have experience in producing merchandise, the timelines
, the budgeting, the everything and so that was something I started when we first did
the citizen cards and oh wow.
Yeah, how did those go actually?
Wow, I mean that was, I spent hours on skype and everything with china to
Giving them all like?
That was such an impossible task, I got to tell you, you know Iím up for the challenge
but that was something. I called vendors all throughout the states, everywhere to get those
made and the metal ones. Yeah that was one of our first products, and the two tee-shirts
that we originally did. So all of that was something I had experience in that I did,
yes I did all the customer service stuff from the beginning, all the events. wanting to
live stream, I mean all of these things and you know I didnít have an assistant or anything.
The thing is a regular director of marketing, VP of marketing wants a team and wants some
people to be doing these things, where as these are all the things Iíve done and so
I not really thinking that's a title and I shouldnít be doing this and doing that.
Right, itís just get it done.
So finding somebody to have all of those cross disciplines, to create a team has been very
difficult, Yeah.
Well we're glad here, youíre doing a phenomenal job.
*Laughs*
So are there plans to transition from current model of marketing which is mainly marketing
to this hardcore fans, to marketing more the general public, people that might not have
heard of Star Citizen?
Yes, there absolutely is. I think I was explaining it before I would liken it to say if had you
the earth and you go right to the core and thatís where weíve started. From the golden
tickets and wayback in the beginning with people who are signing up from having great
experiences on let's say Freelancer or Wing Commander, Starlancer, Privateer and then
we started to, Iíve seen it a lot of fans come up who are teenagers or different backgrounds
and they havenít heard of chris before and thatís cool from a marketing perspective
that youíre reaching out playing arena commander and theyíre like Oh my gosh this is a great
experience or joining an organization and coming as a newcomer. So having said all that,
weíre not out on
At the outside.
We're still somewhere in that mid section and I rely on development so I could have
all the marketing plans in the world which I do have some great plans but I can't implement
those plans until I feel
Thereís something to give
Until I feel like when I step into the shoes of the public person who knows nothing about
Star Citizen, who really hasnít been on that journey of crowdfunding and the whole
experience that those of us whoíve had been around for three years I'm thinking, what
is this game? Right okay, Iíll
Give it a look
Give it a look, but if I donít feel like itís quite the right time then you canít
push to that and also for in terms of building the marketing team, I feel like when we can
push there and were so close, weíre like really close, Come on people
We can feel it
Were so close and then it will be much easier to build upon the marketing team because the
traditional form of marketing
Right
Is more to the general public,
Yes
And so therefore candidates who are wanting to be apart of marketing team for Star Citizen
Theyíve had experience doing that
Theyíve had experiencing doing it, and when Iím seeing all of these resumes coming in,
There more traditional and so when Iím trying to describe how where weíve come from it's
very difficult
Right because they donít
No, and itís not a normal practice. Who has experience in marketing and open development,
who has experience with a really big crowdfunding
Has it been done before to this level?
I donít think so and certainly I donít think in the gaming industry and bless our
fans theyíre amazing, theyíre all intense, itís very tense and it takes them.
I guess it can take a bit of getting used to this intensity for that, exactly that,
the shaking and screaming oh my god oh my god Star Citizen
I mean yeah, I mean I didnít start this project to, I mean literally when I started
this project Iím like look, I have the best plan and if we're going to realize chrisís
vision I want to be the one to say alright it failed because of me.
Okay
I said right, I believe in it, hereís my plan and I can fully see this plan being successful
Right
I want to own that
Let it fail on you and not some random person that might not understand
Yeah, exactly, because I was like well, if Iím going to help chris then I want to make
sure that I full wholeheartedly, do it and if that marketing campaign fails, well then
I will say well I gave it my best
It certainly hasnít failed, it certain hasnít done the opposite of failure
I think weíre very close to a going out more to the public and it being more traditional
because up to date we havenít paid for any advertising and we basically are you know,
all of my whole department, everything is covered with subscribers.
Subscribers yeah, which is
I donít spend more than what subscribers give us, So you know with my producer hat,
thereís a lot of great ideas, I can totally see the empire report being a lot more and
in game I can see stuff with ATV that we would like to do, I can see a lot of stuff across
the board that I would like to do. But, okay, well great!
Thatís good though, itís good to know that there are more ideas but youíre sticking
to what we're paying for which is what subscribers
Right, and I also think and then I can see it being like one of those rides where youíre
like, alright here we go and it happens really quickly and thatís what happened with the
campaign. I mean I went into the campaign with a number of what I feel we could get
to and we exceed that.
Right, Just a little
SG and then I was like okay well I think weíll be here and we exceed that and so I feel like
what pushing out to into the general public we need to be ready.
Right because itís.
Right, I mean squadron 42 was mind blowing and thatís something I need to be ready
saying right I got all these people and I got support on the community side Iím ready
to go, itís not going to cut it with me being the only marketing person, Iíll be
like a wreck.
Overworked a bit
SG Overextended Yeah
Awesome. Star Citizen has done phenomenally well. mind blowingly well with the, well you
guys passed 90 million dollars,
Right
What do you think it would take for another crowd funded video game to emulate this success
and do you think itís possible at some point?
I definitely think itís possible. Iím in the anythings possible category. So I definitely
think itís possible. I mean look I go by instinct so you know would I say itís possible
at this moment, Probably not?
Okay
However, it changes
Who knows
So in a year's time I could have the feeling that right, Yeah itís definitely possible
for another video game to come in right now
Do you think it will be easier for when star citizen shows, look weíve done it, hereís
squadron 42, hereís the game. Do you think then it will be easier for someone to come
in?
Well I think they can certainly look at what we did in terms of say, weíre an open development
and it definitely poses itís own challenges and I donít think anybody has done it to
the scale that weíre doing it and I probably liken ourselves to a political campaign but
Iíve never done one.
Okay,
But it kind of feels like itís ongoing, itís intense, you make these decisions like
And everything gets seen.
Everything's seen, this is a 24/7 job, you got haters, you got your avid supporters,
things are said about you that are that are completely slanderous and untrue and youíre
like wait what? Whatís happening? What? Itís quite mind blowing, so I definitely
think that somebody could look at that and say, hereís some of the things we'reí
not going to do. However having said that, So you would take those things and go alright
well that gets easier but then you will have guaranteed another set of problems which is
just, thatís just how it works if youíre going to be successful at anything, there
will be problems and so you learn from the ones Star Citizens has had but then you have
another whole host of them.
Itís the way it works I guess right? So I got one last question before we end. Whatís
the one best thing that we as fans can help do to help Star Citizen
I mean, I think our fans are just stellar, they are absolutely, itís pretty amazing
what I think our fans do, I donít know if they can do more to help. I look at everything
how I would feel just as a regular human being, without any whatever you want to call it,
labels, or Stereotypes or anything on top of it. As a human being, what can I do? So
I personally am quite silent about things in general. But I probably feel like most
people at a certain point I donít want to be pushed anymore, I donít want to be spoken
for anymore and thereís a movement of, I mean I feel like thereís a bit of a movement
of our signed up majority speaking up in certain ways and I think thatís all I can really
ask for is that people just, You at the certain point have to make a stand for what you believe
in and thatís it really.
That works
And if you donít believe thatís fine, but if you do then
Hopefully the people that do believe and I think thereís a lot of us that are doing
you proud
I definitely have seen and Iíve received many emails and things of support for star
citizen in general that you know that theyíre there and I also see it in terms of the actual
negative part, Itís just so loud, but who is it really, thatís the thing. No I think
our fans do what they do what they do.
Well keep doing what we do and as long as you keep doing the amazing job youíve done,
thank you so much for this interview
Thank you so much, Thanks for interviewing, Thanks guys!
Well thatís that. Weíll see you in the verse!
Weíll see you in a bit!
</transcript>

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Memories

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

We already know Sandi Gardiner hates black people.

But why does she hate Wingman? He's white.

Is there anyone who can explain the wingman hate to me?

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I remember when somebody remarked that this thread was huge for only being a few weeks old. That was posted like five days and 300 pages ago. Id like to see a posts/pages per day chart for this thread.

A previous Star Citizen thread was 905 pages, and it started June 2014 and ended August 2015
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...40&pagenumber=1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...&pagenumber=905

This Star Citizen thread is 703(+) pages and started September 29th
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3744337

It's a big thread.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Sandi ate at 's house

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

but it's not a secret though
https://archive.is/wm9cy

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Agrajag posted:

you know what is improper quadruple+ dipping into the money you raised for developing a game

I got another thing.

Remember that Sandi interview from earlier? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbF8cWOLwEI

https://archive.is/BhJbF

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Incombibulator posted:

That's because China uses slave and forced child labour to make every god drat thing.
Of course it's going to be cheaper.

Also, probably, maybe, the American companies Sandi spoke with hung up on her after she said "Don't you know who I am?".
Allegedly.

SURPRISE ITS poo poo

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Incombibulator posted:

I hope they didnt use backer money for that huge block of seats... That would be scandalous! lolz
Who am I kidding, of course they did. Allegedly.

That's just for

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Unfortunately while the press doesn't follow this thread, it bears repeating/quoting:

Maybe the Press knows the public forum isn't the best format.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

G0RF posted:

Sandi and the CIG team talk out of three sides of their mouths on this. In one episode they say they're not even trying to make money on the merch because it's just for the fans and if they break even it's great. In another, they say China is the only way to do it profitably.

I'm more inclined to believe a third scenario-- "We don't care about the quality of backer customer experience -- but if we're going to bother with this, we're using the absolute cheapest option available so we can pocket more cash."

(And who knows- maybe they own a stake in that sweatshop that loses their stuff frequently.)

I assume Sandi knows better -- because other gaming companies like Bethesda make a princely sum on merch while shipping inside the US. Sure, they might manufacture the sweet figurines in Asia or Mexico, but they consolidate them at a domestic shipper and get that crap to us FAST.

The fact that CIG can't do this right - despite Sandi's supposed education - tells you that either they are incredibly ignorant about something entirely obvious, or they have unstated motives for using a subpar solution, despite the obvious fact that it sucks for most CiG backers AND cig support employees- most people except for Sandi and her friends in China.

Ordered a 4xL polo shirt when it was available in 2013 and to this date still have not received said purchased Item.

Roberts Space Industries - Store - Order Shipped

Your order is now shipping via 4PX.

Your package should be about 4-6 weeks away depending on the speed of your local post service.

Sincerely,
Roberts Space Industries

Sent Reply to concierge stating I have not received my polo on Jan 7th 2014
2 weeks later still no response..
https://archive.is/98Lqx#selection-1687.1-1715.34

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

This thread had a bit of everything. Chris Roberts even attacked games journalists

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...1#post408863495

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU loving WISH FOR
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...0#post408935605

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

lying

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...6#post412736722

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Holy moley Dolvak is a hypocrite.

https://archive.is/HfKuE
https://archive.is/7O1Aa

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

OhDearGodNo posted:

Dolvak isn't a complete shithead- he was all for the /r/BDSSE sub I made a while back to highlight spergs.

I found damning evidence to the contrary.
https://archive.is/Q28ZM

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

https://archive.is/dB1jf

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

CitizenCon 2016

Chris Roberts promises to free his fans and give them Squadron 42 early, if they promise to drink the special mountain dew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkookcrAnSE

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Goddamn

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

If someone made a Dick Wulf Encyclopedia Dramatica article, what would be necessities to include in it?

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Wulf

"I just want my friends to be able to finish their journey to do nothing more than entertain people with a video game.
I couldn't care less about Smart as a person, or what happens to him. I just want him to go away, or even stay if he decides to rejoin the human race.
You know his biggest claim against CIG? The whole crux of his attack? The "accountability" thing? It stems from his utter and complete lack of business knowledge/sense.
Business 101:
You don't publically disclose your reserves. Ever.
It completely kneecaps you in any negotiation on salary, raises, supplier costs, etc...
It is the single most important component of conserving the largest amount of funds."
https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart...eration/cw3gvys
https://archive.is/HyyMt
--------------------------
"Soo... Derek's Flat BrokeÖ"
https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart...eks_flat_broke/
https://archive.is/BbwPV

"It's all a moot point. The dude is flat broke. It's a matter of public record.
Anyone can call the Broward County Florida court clerk's office at +1 (954) 831-4000 and find out that DeREKT has tens of thousands of dollars in Federal tax liens against him.
He can't fund jack.
He should be thanking CIG for the refund so he can upgrade from McDonald's for a week.
As has always been the case, he's full of poo poo and not much else."
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...in_here/cueas95
https://archive.is/HruT5

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Jon Do posted:

look, that man threatened my dream. a dream i have invested over 12,000 USD into. he's questioning the credibility of people I look up to as visionaries.

where is the sub-reddit for best ways to commit suicide

Ya know Dolvak outright threatened Derek Smart right?

"I agree. I used to be in the mind that he should be ignored. Now I want to band together and destroy him. I want everyone to know about the poo poo he has pulled. I want him to never be able to work in the industry again."
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...amazing/cv821lf
https://archive.is/grhgY

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Asema posted:

Wait did this guy seriously go "loving COME AT ME" and now is acting like a Victim?

....what?

Yes.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

thatguy posted:

Ya but... he didn't mean it like that.

Are you sure?
https://archive.is/IgnHR

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

"k np i'll just put it everywhere and you will have to track my rear end down and physically force me to remove it from the internet."
https://archive.is/qelX4#selection-2053.0-2053.127

Dolvak wanted Derek Smart to do this.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Hammerstein posted:

An unbeliever !! Derek is the source of all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

lol Dolvak is trying to make it a GamerGate thing
https://twitter.com/istheguy/status...7596034/photo/1

• Locked thread
«2 »