Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
the thing that stood out to me is he never said sorry or apologised in any way, every line was an excuse or rationalisation of some kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Zeike posted:

Are you the PI?

maybe? just going back to lurking after adding my $0.02

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Thank you for allowing us to fund your game

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Humphrey Vasel posted:

How do backers reconcile "Chris Roberts' glorious unyielding vision" with "input from a million(*) backers"?

*might contain duplicates

basically "Thank you CR" posts count as input

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Ag Bengip posted:

It's quite astounding how every single facet of this guy's personality manages to be unpleasant.

I think he's hilarious

dickwulf posted:

the only thing I'm intolerant of is intolerance
drama does not belong here, and will not be tolerated

:bravo:

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
this is what happens when derek picks a fight with the technology journalist at the BBC
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34548609

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Romes128 posted:

Lol no

She's just sucking up to Croberts so she can write a star citizen book like she did with elite dangerous.

I hope d-smeg makes a stink about it.

She mad dumb.

This will get more news copy though, I would expect to see more backers heading to SC

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Can somebody build the star citizen ships in KSP so these poor people can play their space game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLBw1ZNPisE

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
Mr dickwulf sure has a boner for defending the internet from trolls, is this his first time on the internet? I don't get the crusade?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Eonwe posted:

also that is one lameass snack bar

i worked at a tiny company and I had a going away party with booze and lots of food, this dude works at a huge scam developer and gets some carrot sticks and tea

look closer, its obviously sushi, but still 2 plates of sushi for all that lot? please sir can i have some more?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Justin Tyme posted:

I always thought buggies were a weird fit but I could see them conceivably making sense if they were small enough to cram in the cargo hold but had special buggy roads on most planets (maybe in the future space golf-carts are more popular than cars)

but instead they just dump them on pedestrian foot paths so you can run everyone over with impunity, gg

My understanding is that they are just putting the buggies around the ArcCorp area because there is literally nothing else to do in the meantime. They will be removed later when/if the game comes out.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Young Freud posted:

TBF, the only thing most Aussies know about Asians is that they come on boats and the boats must be stopped.

Yeah but we stopped the boats, fixed the economy and stopped the boats...

...poo poo maybe we should put Tony Abbot in charge of Star Citizen?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Paladinus posted:

Okay, real talk. How can an electric buggy blow up? And why should it blow up from the gameplay perspective right now? Is there really some template for cars in Cry Engine that makes a vehicle explosive by default and they didn't even bother to change that?

its fueled by Chris's ego, of course its going to blow up

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Synchronized posted:

I find it interesting that CIG is now deleting any thread about DS, even when it's their rabid fans attacking him.

It sounds like they got some decent legal advice from their outside firm

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

kordansk posted:

Seraph have you come back to us so soon?

No I created my account on the same day as he was banned and I have come to realise that may have been a huge mistake :(

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Justin Tyme posted:

Plus at this stage I doubt any new true believers who wanted to be in Goonrathi would take a look at the thread and think it would be a good idea to earnestly post

My comment wasn't that of a true believer, but that this is the smartest thing that CIG has done in months given their mishandling of everything leading up to this, but even if you look at their development update post from today link it is still more of the same poo poo "you have to wait more and we aren't going to tell you for how long, isn't that exciting?"

that said i'm going to shut the gently caress up until I can blend better

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
Well the true believers in the drama thread have proven Godwin's law true again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSh3bTzeTsc I guess the narrative needs its villian, although I did laugh at the end

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
Apparently there is some holy text behind the subscriber hedge fund that the infidel need to read to convert them https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/290889/the-interview-with-frankfurt-should-be-released-to-all-backers I have no idea what it is.

I know this is going to be a dumb question...

...but is anyone a subscriber and knows what it is?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
So their amazing thing is crosshairs that don't work :wow:

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Thank you very much :)

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah some of their forums are behind a paywall as far as I know.

Most forums are for backers only, but if you really hate yourself and need to give someone money for validation https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions you can pay monthly for extra jpeg's

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

radd posted:

Originally there was no account locking for gifts or for things bought with reclaimed credit, but they introduced that I think mid 2014.

http://i.imgur.com/C9U6Oq1.png

Rather ironic how they introduced these changes to prevent people from being :airquote: scammed :airquote:

Fang The Parrot fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 17, 2015

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

So :lesnick: says in the interview that there was a bad middleman and all his trades had to be undone, that wasn't true?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

MeLKoR posted:

Most people go all their online lives without even hearing of goons but there's a few that are a bit more clued in, they've either been the victim, seen someone get hosed or heard about it second hand but never actually been to SA. It's impressive what a decade and a half trolling the internet will do., they have this image of goons as Moriarty-like geniuses when in reality it's just the critical mass of ten thousand simultaneous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgXy8HIrhk

I played EvE for a few years, the first big org I joined I got lectured by the new recruit officer to "stay the gently caress away from goons" so it just became one of those things, goons = scary, I don't think I ever looked at SA forums or if I did the paywall was up. I ended up getting scammed by goons, it was a recruitment scam where I lost half my stuff, but immediately afterwards I realised how stupid I had been, oh well should have stayed away from goons, goons = bad. I stopped playing EvE a few months before BoB got destroyed, but I remember reading about it and thinking, loving goons = ruin everything.

Since then I have heard about goons in other games, just small news, nothing big. I didn't back SC until 2014 and I saw "The Goons" were here, uh oh, well I guess I'm just going to have to stay the gently caress away from them. When all this drama went down, especially the last month, it was hard to get a read on what was happening. Dr Smart had raised a couple of reasonable issues I thought, but when he goes into full rampage mode I can't take him seriously. The SC subreddit and forums were okay at first, but more and more even the slightest criticism got downvoted, shutdown or banned, which basically left the conspiricy theorists or the sycophants.

I was trawling through every thread in /r/StarCitizen or /r/DerekSmart trying to find out any "real" information because most of it was garbage, fanfiction or religious worship. I admit that I was watching the conspiracy theorists mostly because they seemed to have some kind of clue what was going on, or at least I thought they did. When I saw all the stuff about D Smart being a goon sock puppet, it all made sense, of course those goons were up to their old tricks! So I decided that I wasn't going to stand for this, I wasn't going to let the goons ruin things this time. So I set myself to watching the goons more closely, I would read everything, i would find where they made their first mistake and I would make them pay, foiling them and foiling the Derek Smart.

So I started from the beginning of this thread, combing through every post to find out what they had, to catch them in their lies! But then it got to a point where, I wasn't looking for dirt on SA or Derek Smart (who I still don't like, but anyway), but i was actually getting a better idea about what was going on. Learning where CIG had misstepped that I wasn't aware of, learning that some of this went way back to before I got involved with SC. Eventually it just got to a point, where I started laughing out loud at some of the things I read, but I think it was when dickwulf did his "A Rally" speech because apparently he thinks he's Admiral Bishop, and someone posted something like "Oh drat we lost the war bros" and someone else followed up with "I blame poor leadership", I loving lost it completely, I was in hysterics with my eyes watering, it was the funniest thing I had read about SC in months.

I guess it kind of dawned on me, that I had assumed a lot of things and I hadn't really checked things out for myself and that even though you were making GBS threads on SC, at least you were having fun. The subreddit has devolved into nothing but sycophants and idiots, and the RSI forums are worse, so even though I'm probably going to end up getting banned for shitposting eventually, I decided you deserved my 10 bucks for making me laugh about SC.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Sappo569 posted:

Welcome!

How many jpegs do you own?

You would die of laughter if you knew, seriously... you would.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

randomcommoner posted:

More reason to tell, and also...

$2,500 and I'm starting to feel pretty sick about it now

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

KakerMix posted:

Word dawg just put in a request for a refund and while you wait see what options you have for charge backs.
It's on them that they hosed up and is cool and good to take back your money if you can and earn a bit o' wisdom and laugh about it afterwards.

Next you can learn secret code phrases and words we use here on something awful like "goku cuck" and "im gay" and "same" and "poopy doopy boys"

Yep I already found the secret subforums, holy poo poo! My jaw hit the flaw when I saw that.

I'm going to go see what options I have for refunds/chargebacks, then I'm going to go cry into a pillow for a bit.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Fooma posted:

Since it's confessional time, do you mind recounting what promises CIG gave that motivated you to go all in on a video game? Did this happen at once or did you slowly slip into "well, just one more ship..."

Genuinely curious how people dig that investment-ditch so deep it's difficult to see where you started and climb back to the surface

Basically I'm lucky enough to have a job with a high disposable income, everytime there was a sale I got excited and caught up in the hype, so over 2 years it was $100 here or $200 there. Plus one thing i've been noticing is the price of ships has been escalating and I've been paying more each time...

...I am such a fuckwit.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Unhappy Meal posted:

I was going to say, "Oh come on, the thread was probably only like 300 pages when they started." Then I went and looked, page 300 was only week ago.

I quite literally have been reading every evening since last Monday. I have to say though, none of it was really a slog at least no parts that I remember. I've turned into my dad, except instead of reading the newspaper I read SA forums.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Dirty Hairy posted:

I started reading when I saw Beer got banned from the RSI forums and wanted more information. Since then, I've skipped around to try to find the highlights, but this thread has consumed all my free time in the last week. I figured I'd finally subscribe here since I've been a casual SA reader for years and especially enjoyed the perspective of the posts.

Question: Did you decide if you're going to try to get a refund, sell via grey market, or do nothing? I've got ships that I purchased in 2013 before the gifting lock that could potentially be sold off. I'm not sure if it's still better to go the reddit trades route, or attempt a refund on transactions that occurred almost two years ago now.

I'm still looking into it at the moment, it looks like I bought all my ships after the 2014 TOS change, so it looks like a refund will be more difficult. I'm looking into what's required for selling them on the grey market. So i guess I might have to hurry up before the Derek Smart burns it all down.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
Some of the citizens are really bitter about the BettysBigTits troll

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
I'm sorry I said anything :( clearly my goon powers are not fully flourished yet like beautiful butterfly -I have shamed my family

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Sarsapariller posted:

The secret to goon posting is to remain ironically detached from everything that happens here. It is also why the notion of anyone infiltrating this thread is laughable- there's nothing to infiltrate, nobody here gives enough of a poo poo to make secret plans involving more than 10 minutes of effort.

When i first started reading this thread, you were talking about hamburger recipes and when the best time to season the meat was... do you know how long i spent trying to breakdown those code words? 7 days later I have a barely coherent understanding of what is happening ITT.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Dusty Lens posted:

We discovered that single moms promising tits move ships.

The nerd rage is palpable

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Raskolnikov posted:

Should have been potato soup imho

Good news citizen we have a new variant releasing today!

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

D_Smart posted:

This is the part where you ask us: "How screwed am I?" And the resounding would be: Well, if you have to ask, the answer is FUBAR. You know, like Star Citizen

Wanna buy a jpeg?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?
Users in /u/dereksmart are quite happy

I checked and /u/thedereksmart has been shadowbanned

Also who ever bought me that av :golfclap: I have either made a friend or an enemy I can respect

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Wait, was he banned from the sub or Reddit in general?

he's been shadowbanned which means he will post but no one else will see it, making him invisible to everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Wulfling posted:

We're an internet hitsquad now?

Wait you're not? which forum is the hit squad forum?

• Locked thread