Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

The Face of a Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Wulf posted:

I am a nudist
just postin pics of wulf again:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
at some point CR will transition and start saying that star citizen will be the funding platform for his actual aerospace ventures, offering low orbit flights in 2019

and then the real culting begins, as level 420 citizens are the only ones aware of the TRUTH... that their low orbit flights will collide with specific sattelites which will send them to alien heaven.

wouldn't this make them tax-exempt and crowd-funded? l ron, roll in your grave...

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
If I was CIG/RSI I'd definitely just step up what they've been doing: pre-rendered or at least heavily scripted footage, followed by a release of what's basically a tech demo... but it's software that runs without crashing, so clearly the game will be finished and great.

These idiots are already invested hook, line, and sinker. Just tug that hook.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
we can prove you caused damages to our company by attempting to inform consumers of things we didn't want them to figure out on their own

to help the consumers, you thereby damaged our profits. we're in america in 2015, corporate profits trump the consumer's best interest. this is gonna be great.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
on one hand, ostracizing people for who they associate with and which games they play is reprehensible

on the other, from the outside in, the people who play EVE seem to be the absolute worst, particularly goons

drat near every goon I met who was chiefly associated with EVE before other things was kind of a piece of poo poo

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
its happening

roberts had smart arrested for crimes against the soverign state of rsi

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Wafflz posted:

If that's the case then everyone who was refunded should still have their jpegs.

:drat:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

can we get something like this except with a whale backer's $20,000 desktop setup and backer totals?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
now hopes are falling
autumn leaves in the cold winds
money trees, soon bare

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
at this point, character attacks are the perfect bait for CR

can't prove anything exactly? make him dig his own grave!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Citizen Con reveal SPOILED: Konami announces Star Citzen pachislot machine, desktop modules 'scaled back'

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

tooterfish posted:

PULL THE LEVER

every time you pull the lever on a Star Citizen pachislot, it backs $100 straight from your bank account

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

OhDearGodNo posted:

Like refusing to hire people with pubic hair?

is this an actual detail i missed in the sea of 90 million words?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Maldoror posted:

The stupid thing is, a ~$800 Rancilio Silvia with a PID and a ~$300 Rancilio Rocky grinder will make a superior espresso than ANY super automatic, even a $20,000 one. (It just can't handle volume for more than a couple people.)

I have a $20 drip pot and a can of Cafe Bustelo powdered espresso, I think I'm good on the $800 coffee machine, much less $22k if I wasn't selling coffee.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
sideways shot of the cult uniform PJs

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Jst0rm posted:

still. a $800 espresso machine is cheaper then a jpeg of imagine.

the sweetest irony of all, the concept that anyone was stupid enough to pledge more than a grand...

and in addition, not go "welp, I understand that, like gambling, I am throwing my money away"... but instead "GONNA BE GR8"

e: or "I FEEL RIPPED OFF, WHAT THE HELL"

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
citcon guess:
another piece of software that is essentially a tech demo, but mostly runs and a bullshit "big reveal" of something else thats "not quite done yet"

i can hear the whales straining to reach their wallets

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
"here are my justifications for throwing money at something I should have had enough sense not to... hint, they involve being well-off and willing to write off money which I might as well have burned. that's respectable, right?"

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
devils advocate for the least deserving, Ben Lesnick:

goons making fun of people for physically disgusting/repulsive.... yeah.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I mean, laugh at what you want, I'd just say lesnick being a loving tool is the most relevant issue

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
basically it seems to me, the game could come out (though probably not soon), be mediocre to good...

and roberts and family still will have pocketed enough money that was "for the game" that you should still be disgusted

i mean drat

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Iridium posted:

ben will not make that realization. it just wont occur. doing so would mean his life's work as a fanboy (literally this is all he's ever really done) would be empty.

he was born to fasten himself lamprey-like onto CR. he knows no other purpose.

i thought that was the new american dream, to attach brand loyalty to poo poo and then spend way too much loving money on it instead of doing something constructive

look, we have non-existent products to consume, in mass quantities. they're not going to pay for themselves.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Hav posted:

WTF is a gullible cynic?

someone who is easily tricked into thinking a situation is worse than it is would fit that term

not that i agree with mr. "im an investigative journalist, let me tell you how everything's fine and dandy on this project I put money into"

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I mean, I figured the whole point is that you report that an employee claimed x y and z and you confirmed their employment

dont see how that implicates escapist in anything, but im just a plebescrub

e: escapist seems pretty borderline to me, supporting gamergate's "ethics in journalism" facade (when it appears to have been about doxxing feminists to ruin their lives because you disagreed with them) calls anything you say into question

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
dont try to save anyone who bought jpegs dude

theyre too far gone

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Still kinda think that anyone who needs a refund, particularly at this late date, doesn't really deserve one; but hey, whatever, I mostly hope the company/companies fail, not because the backers deserved better...

Instead, because the concept that someone broke ground on a new games market that boils down to "spend thousands of dollars to get a huge advantage and/or something noone else can get" is a terrifying precedent.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
SC would have been gaming ambrosia if not for DEVIL SMART and his huge conspiracy to ruin our fun

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Hopper posted:

Yes, get a nice loose tea. If you go for a flavored variety, make sure it doesn't have too much "aroma" in it. Typically black tea with fruit based flavour tends to have dried fruit chunks and less artificial aroma in it (at least here) than black tea with creamy/toffee/or other non-fruit based flavours. Ironically, my favorite flavoured teais an English caramel type, which has real caramel chunks in it.

If you want pure, get a nice English breakfast blend and enjoy it Saturday morning.

Word of caution, if you are used to teabags, loose till can be very strong and keep you up at night. I drink enough loose tea it doesn't affect me but I had people drink tea and then not be able to sleep for hours.

i prefer yamamotoyama (or stash, before I found a local place for the good poo poo) green tea with some peppermint oil on the bags; i used to drink so much tazo awake/twining irish breakfast that I was getting stains, so I quit.

i do need to get some teasticles for loose-leaf brewing, but that's probably after I break down and get an electric kettle.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
drat, they have it out for registered massage therapists now?

sandi's fuckin losing it

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I have to wonder: What does all this say about crowdfunding? Does an unexpectedly successful sales pitch leading to a sudden overabundance of wealth really cause that much damage to a person's ability to remain competent?

Kickstarter rewards people not based on whether they are successful, but based on how well they can persuade backers that they might someday be successful. Convince enough people that you might someday do something great, and you suddenly have more money than you know what to do with and, at present, few safeguards in place that might put your winnings at risk should you then gently caress up and fail to deliver. What does that do to a person?

How many people in this world really have the discipline and integrity to be responsible with ninety million dollars that were suddenly entrusted to them based on a promise they made?

considering they should have thought of that AT THE TIME because people were basically bringing this point up in regards to how expensive some of the ships were

i dont really think kickstarter could really enact safeguards, so hopefully it's more of a cautionary tale and the kind of thing that leads people to think about their kickst--

BWAHAHA, who am I kidding, my new definition of a nerd is someone who throws money at anything that may appeal to their hobbies, particularly nostalgic appeals, without thought.

it's kind of a "clearly a lot of these people didn't think about how they spent their money" issue. Noone's perfect in this area, but if it looks like a trap, talks like a trap, and smells like a trap... and you give it your money...

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
normally i dont enjoy poo poo-stirring, or doing too much of it myself, particularly on the internet

but this is some beautiful poo poo right here, i hope there's enough of a kerfuffle that CR or sandi has to mention it at least once

if citcon2015 coverage from other sources doesn't have any mention of the dsmart/goon shitstorm, we will have failed to ramp this up.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
i managed to get a few dozen troll comments out over the course of half an hour by pretending to be a cultist, as that kind of fervor is acceptable

poo poo like "DEREK SMART is so annoying it doesnt matter what he says! who cares if youre right if youre annoying?" and "Im at CitCon, somneone said there would be FREE BEER. When and where will the BEER be FREE?" seems to pass muster. generally just emphasising/capslocking specific themes like the "derek smart conspiracy".

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
hahaha, afaik downvotes and negative publicity are just as good as positive in terms of youtube metric type poo poo

dsmart rides the crest of the shitstorm

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
look, Token, you need to pose for this PR shot AND make it look natural or you're loving fired

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
nah, i figure a lot of racist white chicks overcompensate so theres a chance that guy's the buck in chris/sandi's life - explains the smile

bwahahaha

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

sorla78 posted:

Chris Roberts bought the Concorde and is announcing foundation of "Star Citizen Quantum Travel"

I'm sure the concept of making enough money off SC and the crowdfunding platform to start a Virgin Galactic competitor (crowdfunding campaign) came up. Space industries and all that.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Melted_Igloo posted:

did anyone ask this but isn't the game supposed to be released before they start having the 'cons

actual critical questions, thoughtful or not, are met with vitriolic resistance

#notacult

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

FaintlyQuaint posted:

And every new game you wanted to try in the future for a long rear end time.

what if you dont want to try any games

you just want to dream about a perfect one

for years on end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

D_Smart posted:

I told you guys this project was FUBAR. There you have it. You're welcome.

I think even then, as far as SA is concerned, this was mostly preaching to the choir... anyone that's come around since then was trying to keep the dream alive regarding their own "investment". Clearly, those are the hardest to reach.

• Locked thread