Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Best thread about the best game on the whole internet forever, it's been an honor shitposting with you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Wait they are selling lifetime insurance again? They said that poo poo was over however many years ago what the hell

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Klyith posted:

So is there a terrible mockup of the UI for doing SCIENCE! with your $900 science ship?

'Cause, ya know, I don't want to put that kind of money down without seeing that I'm gonna get some engaging gameplay out of it. Can I suggest a pipe dream minigame?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Chocobo posted:

You forgot the [Finish Now] button that instantly completes research but can only be done with credits from the cash shop.

ok but I need you to PLEDGE NOW

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Chocobo posted:

"I don't want to create a game[...]"
-Chris Roberts

dude wants to make movies and sandi wants to star in them

Destined for B-grade or worse for their entire careers, rip.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

i dont like this sir

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

jaegerx posted:

Oh no. The one where he smashes the computer to stop him buying the mouse pad. Easily the best.

That's the one with that dude who used to be on a family-friendly TV show in the 80s and became the religious nutjob guy that runs around with the other dude who whips out bananas and peanut butter as proof of god right? That one is the best yeah

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NecroMonster posted:

that's a goat strapped between a pair of rockets

a rude description of lesnik on around the verse

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LCL-Dead posted:

I was reading a comparison of the Rift/Vive over on True Reviews that left me torn. Vive is going to be the more expensive of the three options dropping in the next 5-6 months by HTC's own admission. Rift feels/looks more complete, more like a finished product but I think the Vive had higher resolution and the partnership with Valve and some of those other companies is pretty appealing.

The visual hardware might as well be identical, same resolution same screen size. The differences are in the tracking technology and the direction their interfaces go.
Vive uses SteamVR, Rift uses Oculus home. Vive comes with its motion controllers, Rift comes with an Xbone controller and the motion controllers are sold separately. Vive uses a laser tracking system with two lighthouse bay station things that allow up to a 5x5 meter tracking area so you can stand up and turn around and flail your booty all over only with the tether to the headset, but you don't have to, the size is just possible, not required. Oculus uses a similar system to what they have now, supposedly better but not as big a tracking area unless you buy and add more tracking camera things. Vive is more expensive than the Rift, but is more "complete".

Personally I'm going for the Vive since it comes out first and I have a room to dedicate to VR like a proper idiot nerd and I'm not really interested in the social zones Oculus is going with their software and development. I also loathe that it comes with an xbone controller instead of the motion controllers because to me that means less people will support them as they'd plan the user to have an xbone controller instead. Also Oculus Home or whatever they call it is closed source where Vive uses Open VR which is not.
If both are good I'll get both though so whatevs.

EDIT
Right the Rift comes with the headphones but I'm not interested in them. I'd much rather have them come with the motion controllers instead of headphones because I feel that's more important but then again I'm not tubby Palmer on the cover of Time.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 30, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sarsapariller posted:

Thank you for bringing this much-needed fresh perspective to the thread, friend.

They're right though, why stay in this thing as it is exceedingly obvious that the only thing left in star citizen is the drama that comes out of it. Roberts is a hack that can't make movies but still keeps trying, Sandi is a hack that wants to be an actor that can't act yet keeps trying, and Ben is a large man that can't kiss Roberts yet keeps trying. They just sold a 900 dollar picture of a ship.
There is and never will be a game, if there is just play it when it comes out, this isn't an investment you fukkin nerds think about it for a few seconds, please.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sarsapariller posted:

Who's staying in though? Like, other than Octopode, is there a single person in this thread who is not rapidly extracting as much cash as possible from this thing?

There are a few people I've seen talking about hesitating pulling everything out, or leaving a ship or saying "well I'm in for 30 so whatever" so I feel that it's more than octopode.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LCL-Dead posted:

Thank you to everyone who responded on this.

The Vive's twin tower area control looked pretty neat and I get what was said about the teleportation mechanic for movement being a bit gimmicky. At the same time, I'm not horribly interested in the whole "move around with the headset on" bit because, even though the room where I keep my computer is large enough to support the process, I also keep my kids lego's in that room and it's not unheard of for there to be 60-70 errant pieces scattered around the carpet. The last thing I need to is step on one of those booby-traps with a headset on my face.

On the controllers: OR's looked a bit more intuitive than Vive's from the glance I gave them and I wouldn't be using a controller anyway as much as I'd likely be using keyboard and mouse. Of course, this depends on the software available so I'm pretty much just talking out of my rear end there. Who knows. I'll keep eyeballing them and maybe throw my refund money at a pre-order for one or the other come November, when pricing estimates are solid and available.

I plan to use it for Elite or ARMA either way as I don't see the more mainstream shooters like Battlefield or CoD effectively supporting the technology, not that I'd buy those on PC to begin with (And I'm sure as hell not buying into the Playstation VR set).

I look forward to the days when pictures will be posted of 14 year olds trying to get upskirt angles on female NPCs.

Keep in mind that the Vive tracking solution means you CAN go 5x5 meters, it's perfectly fine using it to sit down as well. The upshot of having whole room tracking means you can wave your meat hooks around all crazy, whip your head around and try to look up skirts of VR girls (or boys!) without losing tracking even if you are stationary in a chair. Reports are the Rift's tracking is much better than the DK2 but it still isn't whole room like the Vives.
Either way we get to see if VR is going to break out of high-end nerd zone but at least it isn't DOA like all the other times before.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BurnBlackJay posted:

Is there a summary for what happened whit this game ? I wanna laugh to .

Sure.

Summary:
it didn't

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RSI Email posted:

The Endeavor is being offered for the first time as a limited concept sale. This means that the ship design meets our specifications, but it is not yet ready to display in your Hangar or to fight in Arena Commander. The sale includes Lifetime Insurance on the ship hull and a pair of decorative items for your Hangar. A future patch will add an Endeavor poster and then once the in-game model is finished you will also be given an in-game Endeavor mini ship model! In the future, the ship price will increase and the offer will not include Life Time Insurance or these extras.

lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Promatoast posted:

Anyone willing to share specifics with regards to why they've become disillusioned with the game? I thought the general consensus among backers was positive. In fact I was planning to jump in myself after seeing - at least what I thought to be - the game taking form.

star citizen isn't real

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
is this real life

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
All this debate on sources and substantiated rumors and whatever don't loving matter. That Chris Roberts responded AT ALL is so beyond dumb as all gently caress that at the end of the day, Croberts responding at all colors my perception on everything that dude does. If he's so dumb that he responds at all and like he did then he has no hope of managing people when he can't manage his own idiot emotions.

Truecon420 posted:

I'm in for a little over $200 because I am a big idiot, can I get a refund on everything except my original <60$ pledge? Can you pick and choose your refund like that? My original pledge was June 27, 2013. Thanks for any help/advice I can get.

You can do that yeah, request refunds for parts. But why wouldn't you just try to get refunded for everything? You can go ahead and come up with a reason as to why.
If the game does come out you can buy it then though and since it isn't pay 2 win you've got nothing to lose. LTI is also not important at all either soooo

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 2, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

peter gabriel posted:

Look instead of wasting his time writing something using 100,000 words that could have used 50 he could be working on the game that doesn't exist and never has existed

It's my fault Star Citizen isn't done yet guys, sorry

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tusen Takk posted:

Has this game crashed and burned yet? Unless burger chat is getting super intense, something had to have happened for there to be 1300 new posts since I last read this thread

One dude got REAL mad about salted meat or some poo poo idk

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GaussianCopula posted:

Star Citizen - $90 million Ro-Sham-Bo simulator

He might be comparable to Steve Jobs if he was responsible for the Zune and died after that. Please don't compare him to the actual Steve Jobs, who was ultimately responsible for the iPod, iPhone and iPad, revolutionary devices that changed the daily life of millions and made Apple the largest company measured by market capitalization while CR made $90 million selling space ship jpegs.

Steve Jobs ate fruit to death
a dead dumb retard

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Octopode posted:

Please refer to this image when you realize you're lovely at law research and have no hope of providing for yourself in the future rather than killing yourself.

You'll never be as good at this as Derek Smart sorry

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rudager posted:

drat dude, just get your $2k refunded already so you can live a normal life.

maybe you should try this thing called 'success' it's pretty cool, scrub.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That's nice Octopode.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Octopode posted:

Here's a fun exercise: instead of trying to insult me, show me some expert opinion on why accusing someone of breaking the law would not meet the standards of California's libel per se definition. That way, instead of sitting here arguing like babies, we might both learn something! I've already submitted my basis for the legal argument in the form of the ABA article, which even has several relevant cases for perusal.

A fun exercise is hearing you drone on and on about things. The other fun part is wondering when you'll realize that star citizen isn't ever coming out. Will you keep posting? Will you pretend this was all just fun and games and you were in on the joke the whole time? Will you stop posting all together and float elsewhere with your "success"? A mystery for the ages, friend.

Next time on "As The 'Verse Turns"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Hey, your article on Roberts rhetoric was cool and good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Admiral Crackbar posted:

Yeah but it's practically still in alpha itself. Sure, Frontier have slapped the released label on it, but there's still a fuckload of content missing from what was pitched during the kickstarter.

You still can't buy space ships for 900 actual dollars either it's like, what the hell :frontear: get your poo poo together

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Wait so when is Citizen Con? I have to clear some time for the insane drama bender I'm going to be on during it because lmao you know it's going to deliver

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

madcow posted:

I don't agree with some of the things CIG does, but I certainly don't hope they will fail. The pain from the fallout wouldn't just be limited to people with a fondness for collecting flying jpegs.

Maybe when this whole thing explodes and everyone finally realizes that no, Star Citizen is not real some of them will have a shock to their system to maybe bring in some reflection on themselves and better their lives because of it. Just maybe they will grow a little bit and continue life a little bit wiser. Also it's going to be real hilarious seeing how die-hards that never had a hope rationalize the injustice in the world when reality washes over them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

madcow posted:

I would be interested to see how that would argument would work because the way I see it, it would be a net negative since it would just lead to more formulaic, generic CoD and WoW-lite crap. More 'safe money' game design and less risk and innovation.

Are you for real

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Why don't cig just hire a mobile developer to make a star citizen match 3 game or something. Wouldn't that just make them infinite money

Hey Humphrey, sup.

Listen, don't tell the others but I want to let you in on a lil' secret. Chris Roberts, you know him? The Wing Commander guy? Yeah that awful movie, yeah with the bulldozer in space yeah. So anyway that guy, right? He's really fukkin dumb, like holy poo poo dumb. That's why they don't do a thing that makes sense. Because he's dumb as piss.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MeLKoR posted:

I didn't watch through all that but how is the toilet situation on that ship?

poop and pee in zero G

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

OhDearGodNo posted:

E:D doesn't suck, but it's not great.

It's notoriously okay.

It can get real drat good looking tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Id-nlHjvZI

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
So hey Beer since you're banned you should totally have that show with Derek Smart.

lmao at Ben though, the dude is going to be CRUSHED when the realization that Star Citizen doesn't exist and Chris Roberts is a fraud hits. You think he'll go with the break-down route or get real angry at Roberts?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CrazyLoon posted:

Supposedly the UK has some baller tax breaks or something, which is why F42's team is by far also the largest - allows them to save money.

Not like it'll matter, tho, if they plan to piss it all away on CR's vision and why a fair few still hope that Erin, his brother, breaks away with F42 and at least finishes SQ42, cause lol the PU is screwed.

ballin' jpeg breaks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

madcow posted:

Or I am not a gullible cynic and have more experience with real investigative journalism than you?

If there had been or ends up being some legitimate evidence presented as to bad happenings in CIG, like say 40% of the company getting axed within a two week (which I have experienced irl) or a verifiable audio/video clip/document that contained some racist rantings or mentions of misappropriations of funds/fraudulent activity, I might be more inclined to hop on the hate wagon and get a refund. But so far, I have seen none of that. I have just seen one shoddily written "article" with poo poo sources, likely fabrications, and bunch of rantings and empty promise from Derek Smart, a known charlatan, one of which was to release a name at 4am EST, two days ago, to help lend some credence to his claims. Yeah, he never did that, just like he never had two PhDs, never had a good game, and will never have a successful lawsuit against CIG.

I knew pretty much right after the kickstarter ended and CR kept adding more and more strech goals that there was no way in hell that SC was going to meet its original deadline, just call it a hunch. So, release dates being pushed back? Yeah, I don't care, I have seen it countless times with other games with much smaller scopes and scales. I can watch a AtV episode or what not every now and see what they are doing or aren't doing. People leaving or being fired? Welcome to running a business, it doesn't always work out for a variety of reasons, personality conflicts are one of them, and if two people really were fired for releasing information to DS, then they deserved it. For being idiots and violating an NDA, which you can be pretty much certain CIG has.

When CIG starts to layoff significant portions of the staff and starts closing down studios that is when I will start to worry. If the game development starts to bleed into late 2016 and they still haven't released anything significant, say like the first episode of SQ42, which I suspect will come out sooner than that, then I will start thinking about getting my money back/filing a chargeback.

And lets say, for the sake of argument, CIG goes under and I don't get my money back. Oh well, I have spent more on alcohol and women in my lifetime, so losing out on the pittance I gave CIG really doesn't matter to me.

lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
mad cow = burgers = ben lesnik

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
That they made Beer a DSmart 2 is hyper-hilarious.

Motherfucker you guys the joke is 'lol it cant get worse can it guys' but that it always does is really loving with me. When is the laffo ceiling

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I dunno Gryphoon maybe if you gave me some more reasons that star citizen is real and cig isn't a company full of pr disasters maybe you can change my mind.

I'm just having a hell of a time wrestling with the potential existence of a pretend spaceman game. Maybe if you invited some more reddit friends here to post we could be convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Schnorkles posted:

This sounds irresponsible and kind of unlikely tbh.

Your jib doesn't make the cut

• Locked thread