Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Safe to assume this game is finally canceled, just not officially yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there actual reason to believe the Escapist is going to retract their articles about Star Citizen?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the most pathetic game ever. :cripes: I don't understand how this game is getting the support it has? When big game developers offer similar pre-order DLC (thats exactly what this is in all but name) that is at most, $20, people flip their poo poo and get visibly upset. Offer a $450 ship though for a game that might not even come out? Buy buy buy.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 4, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lauresh posted:

I think I have officially overdosed on schadenfreude

DR Derek Smart and co, please space out said schadenfreude into tolerable doses.

Still wish Derek Smart would gently caress off. Every time I see him talk about this game, a tiny part of me wants to see Star Citizen succeed just to spite him. Like I fully agree with him, but everything about him is just so obnoxious and annoying.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

why don't you want all your money back this will never be a game worth playing

Worth playing implies that it will actually be released. This is not likely to ever happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I just read this big loving letter and instead of just writing "we'll see you in court" it was loaded with pedantic babble about how publishers won't take chances (i.e. Won't listen to these goofs) and about how consoles are too small to contain all the dreams of Star Citizen and how the PC is the most majestic gaming system.

This game is like the intersection of the most horrible gaming concepts. I hope it all burns to the ground.

I love the argument about how publishers won't take chances with certain games, even though we are constantly seeing unique indie titles being published all the time by big publishers. Kickstarters and crowd funding are just another way to swindle huge amounts of money out of gullible idiots and get around the middle man that is the investor who expects and can demand a return. People who buy into crowdfunding are dork asses no matter how many successful kickstarters there are.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirTagz posted:

I am still 8 pages behind and not sure if this has been posted..

But isn't it possible CIG is just buyng time with this lawsuit? These things take time right? And while the lwasuit is in progress, from the public standpoint, CIG is still clean. If they get enough time to push out SQ42 or some other major component, that might be enough to save the project from CIG standpoint. Legalfees be damned.. that's just backers' money, spent on a tactical move.

I missed something, where was it stated that CIG is filing a lawsuit? Against the Escapist? I've seen things from backers saying that CIG should file a lawsuit though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Madcosby posted:

they pulled a Smart and promised a law suit

but then they did it SC style and said

in two weeks

Derek Smarts lawsuit still hasn't happened, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gryphon0468 posted:

You're all such huge hypocrites it'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Not believing a word CR says but lapping up the drivel of DS and the crappy games media articles. I'm gonna be hanging around here with a big grin on my face soaking in every word you dumb asses say until CIG releases exactly what they said they would.

Serious response here; Star Citizen has been in development for three years with nothing to show for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agrajag posted:

do you expect picasso to finish his masterpiece in 3 years?

I should be able to go onto the Star Citizen website and look at gameplay videos that show the core features of the finished game, look at screenshots, etc. Nothing like that exists. The website is laid out as if the game was just announced a week ago and therefore nothing exists for it yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RuckusRouser posted:

"However, when it comes to paintings, specifically, almost all of his works were really, really fast, and generally he averaged three per day when he was in painting mode."
https://www.quora.com/How-long-did-it-take-Picasso-to-complete-a-painting

Who is going to break the news to DiscoLeak?

lmao this is great stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is as dead as the soul of gamers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThomasPancake posted:

ITT:

Two groups of autists bitch about a game neither group has played

Neither group will play. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've never seen this video before; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9rqPp_Cyk4 This is from Gamescom. How come CIG doesn't show this on their website front and center? It has actual gameplay. What does this all say about Star Citizen?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I've never seen this video before; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9rqPp_Cyk4 This is from Gamescom. How come CIG doesn't show this on their website front and center? It has actual gameplay. What does this all say about Star Citizen?

Look, I don't wanna defend Star Citizen, but this was a pretty cool gameplay demonstration that is very recent and I need someone to explain to me why this doesn't mean anything and the game is still going to be a huge failure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The game is going to be great and we're just trolling those who don't know any better. You should have been investing this whole time lmao. owned.

What spaceship should I buy tonight?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Because it's a lot easier to make a cool looking demo than a full game?

I suppose that is true and from what I have been reading this is all CIG has been doing is making demos.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair, violence against Derek Smart is kinda justified. Even if you agree with him there's still a case to be made.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

$45 to commit murder.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cubey posted:

IMO if Derek Smart ends up being the man who kills Star Citizen, his past behavior is excused

:agreed:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Octopode posted:

Here's a fun exercise: instead of trying to insult me, show me some expert opinion on why accusing someone of breaking the law would not meet the standards of California's libel per se definition. That way, instead of sitting here arguing like babies, we might both learn something! I've already submitted my basis for the legal argument in the form of the ABA article, which even has several relevant cases for perusal.

I'm assuming we are talking about the Escapist article? I'm honestly not able to keep up with this thread. Nothing about the Escapist article broke any sort of laws. You can't sue a journalist because they said something you don't like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I hope everyone's seen this by now but in the off chance someone hasn't. This is star citizen, a $90 million project by chris roberts and cloud imperium games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE

Star citizen is a scam. They are not capable of delivering on half of the loving bullshit they promised. If you bought a jpeg, I feel sorry for you but at least you can still save yourself and try to get a refund. If you bought a jpeg and are going to sit on it in the hopes that this laughable scam is ever going to exist as promised, you are a dumbass.

I actually haven't seen this video, this is amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AP posted:

They still haven't made it public. I thought that maybe they were scared Derek Smart was actually going to file something and needed a refused refund to do it. Or they got legal advice on the refund situation which meant they couldn't continue their refusal policy. Either way, now that legal poo poo has started flying anyway it will be interesting to see if they continue to refund as quickly or easily.

This is how I got my refund was by mentioning the Derek Smart refund. I was refused 3 times before that though. But yeah, if you want a refund do it asap. This ship is sinking real fast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Welp people actually went aroind IRL investigating and found out that RSI Space Industries or whatever Croberts calls his retarded company spent more than 8 thousand dollars at a single dunkin dounuts since the physical office building was started.

8 loving grand, what can you buy at DD that will set you back 8 grand on the reg for only like a year or so.

Its not hard actually, Dunkin Donuts is overpriced garbage. If you have them cater for you for a whole year, for how many employees CIG supposedly has, 8 grand is understandable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that Chris Roberts has gone on record to say that Star Citizen's financial history cannot be revealed because they people would see that they're spending it on other stuff and not Star Citizen, is there a link to this?

My understanding of how all of this works is that CIG is not a public company, they don't have to release financial information to anyone. Lets say all of this drama goes to court even, financial records aren't going to be made public. They might have to give them up to certain people but we won't be those people. We will know their financial situation soon enough when Star Citizen is canceled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's Derek Smarts gimmick to threaten to sue people. He has done this to Somethingawful multiple times and nothing has ever come of it. He has done it to others and nothing has ever come of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

"I believe this was made by a Battlecruiser 3000 fan" :lol:

That stood out to me as well. Who is this one Battlecruiser 3000 fan?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has there been any game that advertises that development is being led by [That One Guy] from [Successful Game You Liked] that wasn't a total trainwreck?

Always seems to be a trainwreck when there is that one guy who makes it as much about them as the game itself.

Metal Gear Solid V? :P Otherwise you're correct.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Truga posted:

You do know what kickstarter is, right?

The idea of kickstarter is easy enough to understand, it's just that why would anyone want to take part in it? Don't answer this question by the way, I don't actually care, this conversation has been done to death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

95% certain nothing is going to happen today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"Kevin is a washed-up has been, who foolishly thinks people like him"

:lol: loving irony

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

I hope some people will at least learn from this fiasco that every dollar you donate to a kickstarter way past its original goal will in all likelihood be converted into coke lines on a prostitutes rear end and nothing else. You're probably making the prospect of the game being released worse as the devs have no loving clue what else to do with all that cash.

A lot of people should also probably understand that those kickstarters are actually in fact already funded by private investors that you never hear about. Despite the impression given off by gaming kickstarters, most of the time those are just acted as pre-orders and nothing else, even the ones that claim reaching certain goals will mean more features.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

yeah like, most of the examples of successful kickstarters like FTL were actually by far mostly funded by bigger investors and the crowdfunding aspect isn't actually primarily to raise money, it's to get people more invested and interested in the product

All of the big gaming kickstarters to date have been done by people who are veterans in the game industry. They are people who have been in this industry since day one if not close to that. They are business people and despite popular opinion would never put their funding in the hands of random strangers on the internet. That is horrible business.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I really understand right now is that the FPS module was suppose to have been out in a matter of weeks, its been 3 months now since the delay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:woop: :woop: :woop: YAAAAAAAAAAAAY :woop: :woop: :woop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

no_recall posted:

Peter Molyneux - Failed. badly.

Lord British - Failing, quite badly.

Who else is on the chopping block?

Wait, what drama is going on with shroud of the avatar? I don't read the e-mails, but I get weekly e-mails from the devs about updates to the game. It seems to get updated quite often and you can actually play it right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Szcwczuk posted:

So what kind of liability is Cloud Imperium Games on the line for here? I read they are threatening a lawsuit against The Escapist.

Nothing is going to come of this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Berious posted:

They're in a secret forum with all the people who donated to Doobie's Dog House or developed Zybourne Clock

Also Erectile:Disfunction is kind of crappy. Maybe after a couple of expansions it'll be worth playing but at the moment it's quite boring and grindy. Tons of procedural content but very little of it is worth looking at twice.

I tried playing Elite Dangerous once on a friends account. I gave up when the landing and docking tutorial didn't work and docking seemed impossible. Game is too try hard for my taste and has too many bugs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RuckusRouser posted:

Is 2 hours of Derek Smart not posting on twitter enough to file a missing persons report?

Yes but why would we want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This was a prop in Saving Private Ryan.

• Locked thread