Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Maldoror posted:

it's a really cool building. they just might be able to put the fire out. *looks up at raging inferno*

Dick Wulf exposes his dick again and feebly attempts to calm the flames by pissing on them. Derek Smart sits on the other side of the inferno pouring gasoline and throwing molotov cocktails on sections not yet engulfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dear lord baby Citizen, thank you for this bounty.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Marathanes posted:

The difference between SC and AFF is the difference between letting the perfect get in the way of the good enough.

Supposedly, AFF had a $0 budget before being released on Steam, today.

Also competence. Buckets of competence.

Boy I sure hope the intern reading the FBI/FTC tweets passes that doozy up the chain!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If the profanity claims are true, I can't wait to see some of those emails pop up as evidence.

"Gift cards? Sure I can put those on the site. $25 for $25, $50 for $50 and so on, correct?"

"Are you loving retarded you dickless turd? Gouge! Gouge I tell you!"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
To mark the day, I made this quickly:

(the source image was awful)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You're all jelly. Smart's a dick. Ex-employees with axes to grind. Doing something nobody has done before. Author of article is bad and acting as mouthpiece for smart (gamergate stuff as proof). Why are you being so mean when we are just trying to make a game. Some more stuff I forgot.

also this quote.

Any bets on how long until Smart threatens to sue for libel?

It's only libel if it's false, so I think the statement of DS being a blowhard bully bad dev is in the clear.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Not that I care about space games, but I am really curious what would have been possible with that kind of money surrounded by competence. DS keeps saying "it's not possible", but he spent $10 million on his current garbage game where players still fall through floors, and the lighting is all sorts of hosed, so I question his understanding of tech limitations a bit. A whale like this may never happen again, so it's sad it was squandered.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

$89 million has been spent on this game. Using that number and comparing the development budgets of other games... you'd get The Witcher 3 or Metal Gear Solid V.

Wow, didn't think Witcher 3 was that high. drat good game though. Still, it's a different beast. I was wondering more about the transition tech between landing on planets and taking back off into space, if that were fully fleshed out with a competent team.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I will never be his goon.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Derek smart versus chris roberts is like a DBZ battle but instead of power level increasing its the word count of their line by line rebuttals of each other

The power levels keep rising for weeks on end.

"NEXT WEEK ON DBZ"

"IN MY NEXT BLOG..."

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Around the verse should just be a 50-minute video of Ben hula-hooping.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Look instead of wasting his time writing something using 100,000 words that could have used 50 he could be working on the game that doesn't exist and never has existed

Wait which side of the fight are you referring to here.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

at this point I don't think it really matters as long as it keeps fuelling the entertainment

This is 100% true.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

terrorist ambulance posted:

someone please explain in plain no-meme no-irony english what is happening thanks

It's like the power up battles in DBZ that last across 5 episodes. Instead of gold super hair it's gold earrings and instead of yelling it's word salad. Derek is Gohan and Chris is Cell, but Chris is sucking up donations instead of townfolk. Derek tries to end it with a Kamehameha of 10,000 word blog posts, but will this be enough to defeat Chris? TUNE IN NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z.

I hope this is an analogy you can relate to.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

terrorist ambulance posted:

people paying thousands of dollars for vaporware and making posts like this

do you all have brain tumors or something

the radiation is coming from inside the thread

I was just expanding on the guy that mentioned DBZ like a hundred pages back. Sandi once called me retarded - maybe there is something to it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

JonBolds posted:

Hows things in this thread going y'all?

I see you're enjoying the article we ran.

Welcome, friend.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hal_2005 posted:

Remember that scene of the trucks infront of Archer Anderson when the Enron Scandal first broke ? I speculate Chris Roberts is trying to remember Iron Mountain's emergency shreddit 1-800 number while still tripping on a coke high

I doubt much was written down. I imagine Chris hosts meetings on a whiteboard. At the end of each meeting the board looks like John Madden breaking down a replay while having a stroke.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

Holy crap Smart!

Wow. Whenever someone says, "You do NOT want to mess with ME. I will gently caress you up!" It immediately makes everyone want to mess with them. :laffo: What a child.

What an incredible mess from every single direction. I look forward to a great week.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Derek is this a cry for help

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Substitute the name kevin with derek and it would read exactly the same

The Star Citizen Conspiracy
MEET DEREK SMART - INDUSTRY DIRTBAG
Internet, meet Derek Smart. You won’t like Derek Smart after this.
Derek is a washed-up has been, who foolishly thinks people like him; yet most of us who know who Derek Smart is, either 1) ignore him or 2) talk & laugh behind his back
Derek Smart is a failure who thinks that name dropping and picking on other high-profile industry people, is a sport. He does it for attention because, well, otherwise nobody pays attention to Derek.
Derek is sad about that.
Go online and search for “Derek Smart”. There’s your answer.
Before we get into how Derek Smart, in a momentary lapse (he gets those quite often) of judgement, lost his mind and decided to pick on the one person best left alone, let’s set up the background.
Here is a choice statement from Derek pinned to the top of his feed:
“The indie scene today can be articulated by defining it as the greatest collection of over privileged kids in the history of this industry.”
I am going to let that sink in for a bit.
Do you know why he added the “Smart” to his Twitter name? Because Derek is a man with zero redeeming qualities. And he knows it. Having been derided so many times, alienated more people in the industry than the Republican party did to their voters, he remains completely isolated. At least from those of us who, well,don’t give a poo poo about Derek Smart.
For an example of how far Derek Smart will go to attack people - seemingly out of nowhere, let’s take the recent more visible controversies first.
There was an indie dev named Phil Fish. He was awesome, but caustic and a bit unhinged as some would say.
Smart started a beef with Phil Fish, again, out of nowhere. It ended very badly and it played out in full view of the public. Though the digital footprint is there, this piece is not about giving you access to click-bait. But start here:
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/phil-fish-vs-Derek-Smart-what-did-i-miss-1446547/
Then there was that time when Derek decided to pick on - and attack - Elizabeth. Again, out of nowhere.
http://elizabethbanner.tumblr.com/post/10933537219/so-here-are-some-screencaps-of-Smartgate-for-those
Before I forget, Rob Fahey wrote a brilliant opinion piece about “shock jocks” in our industry. You should read it.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-01-enough-of-the-games-media-shock-jocks
Derek Smart is so horrid and toxic to the industry, that even the very gaming media (yeah, even those corrupt folks) had opted to completely BLACKLIST him from the industry. I mean, like completely.
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/12/gamergate-patrick-klepek-leaves-giant-bomb-following-blacklisting-allegations/
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/12/gamergate-game-journo-pros-interview-blacklisting/
Not that I support the use of any such blacklist, but think about this for a moment. And why him? I wasn’t even ON that list. Like, ever. And I’m Derek Smart.
Over the years, he has picked on various high level industry people, including the media. His famous Twitter fight with Jim Sterling is a thing of legend. If you know who Jim is, then you know who prevailed in that one.
I know several industry people who Derek has dealt with in the past. Not ONE of them - not ONE - has ANYTHING nice to say about him. Let me repeat that: NOT A SINGLE ONE.
In fact, my Twitter DMs and Facebook messages lit up like a Christmas tree yesterday with discussions about him.
etc.
etc.
holy moly

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HamHawkes posted:

The entertainment today is lacking. Where is the blog post Dr. Smart.

It was posted a page or two ago.

Edit: Wait, that apparently was tumblr or something. How many different venues does DS poo poo words out on to? I can't keep up.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 5, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
So apparently DS has offered to fully pay Jim Sterling for a full investigation in to CIG. For lambasting Star Citizen backers for throwing money at dumb poo poo, he certainly likes to throw money at dumb poo poo.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

he doesn't say it was dumb for people to have backed star citizen. He backed it himself. He's critiquing CIG for not giving the backers what they had paid for. At least critique the man for the poo poo he's actually done.

For the most part, yes. But he has been all over Wolf/Wulf for his large amount backed among other things. Funding some $100K (or whatever it was he offered) investigation is a bit more than that.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Szcwczuk posted:

Are there any examples of games that were crowdfunded, kick started or on green light that have come out feature complete to the letter of their initial advertisement?

Also Pillars of Eternity, which was a ton of fun to play through. An expansion (part of pledging add-ons) just hit as well.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lodin posted:

Lol that Kevin loving Dent got involved in this poo poo. The guy has no actual interest in standing up for Croberts but his modus operandi for the last couple of years is going after someone involved in gaming and making GBS threads on them just to make a name for himself and Smart is a very easy target. The problem is that he's an even bigger dickbag than even Smart.
He's already tried the same schtick against Jim loving Sterling, son, Totalbiscuit and Jeff Girthman and everytime he ends up looking like an rear end.

His tweets making fun of DS have been pretty funny. Would love to see the Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling ones if there is a nice compilation somewhere.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Please share with the rest of the class.

Also who is Kevin Dent?

I believe in Dent.

(I guess he is also a salty guy like Derek, but his tweets are way better.)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflz posted:

He didn't start writing til this morning, did he?

Gotta get that 10,000 word minimum in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Sure looks like a whole lot of words that say nothing new. Although I appreciated the TL:DR sentence at the end - "I don’t build dreams. I build games. I know these things." It's always good to end a speech with a joke to grab everyone's attention. This man knows how to PR.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Solvency posted:

"In fact, the “evidence” you have provided is comprised exclusively of information and facts that are (1) within the public domain and (2) placed there by your clients. Your clients cannot, therefore, pursue a cause of action for "stalking" based on information and facts that they, themselves, have posted online"

I love a legal smackdown.

You can still stalk people with public information. It's the gathering of tons of data all in one place that is concerning in some cases.

Derek - Real talk, because I know you read this thread and every other single piece of CIG information and family history on the internet. How much money have you wasted with all of this stuff? Don't get me wrong, this circus is a hilarious disaster on all sides and I love it, but when you "consult legal" every time you fart I can imagine it gets expensive.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What's the absolute max someone has spent on this game so far? Like $40k+? Because I just came across a site that totals the cost of every game on Steam. $90k for ~7,500 games.

Which would you rather do: Have a game that doesn't/may not ever exist, or have half of all the PC games out there? Or really any PC game you could feasibly ever want or have time to finish, since many of the 7500 have been shovelware lately. It's a tough decision.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ryde posted:

Credibility and respect are earned in part by not poo poo-talking and gossiping. So anyone with credibility and respect are going to be holding their tongues rather than commenting on this poo poo-show.

Derek Smart is the developer we deserve, but not the one we need.

That's pretty apt. Someone sent this to me the other day: http://www.tweetails.com/result.php?taskid=2636456

So many hours. And that's not even counting the blog/tumblr/whatever posts. As far as I know, Twitter doesn't hand out money for tweets, so that count is absolutely mind boggling to me. This game is ruining the lives of blind believers and dissenters. It's amazing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Same difference as those buzzards who were 100% convinced I didn't have a Ph.D (hint: little known fact, I have two) because they read poo poo online. Then ended up staring at legal declarations and action saying otherwise. Seriously, I was so hoping that twit Ortwin or even Chris, had pulled that one out in their missives. Had they gone there, my guess is that I'd own everything they own by the time the dust settles on that one. I was so disappointed. So somehow, Ortwin being an attorney, probably figured that out or saw the legal action filings.

The Dr. Peppers that fell on you have a more legitimate degree.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Derek, you may not spend "a lot" on lawyers, but time is also money. How much of your day is dedicated to Star Citizen stuff, because it seems like an insane amount. This is just twitter, but I imagine every other SC forum you visit, blog/tumbler/napkin manifestos you write, etc. take up another huge chunk of time.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

neonbregna posted:

Being an Internet warlord is a full time job

I would imagine. He talks and thinks about Star Citizen just as much as the crazies in for thousands. Probably affects his personal life just as much too. "Can't come to bed, honey. Someone made fun of me on the internet." It's like a weird take on Harlan Ellison - I Have No Life, and I Must Sue.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wait is the most recent empty threat over a guy calling Derek a piece of human garbage? Or were there some other more nefarious posts I missed. If it goes to court Derek will have to prove he is in fact not a piece of garbage which seems like a large hurdle to convince a jury of peers.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

He vowed to destroy Derek's career. I think that counts as a threat.

That's a bit more rude I guess. Did he lay out details or a plan? Because absolutely nothing will come of this if someone simply said "I will destroy your career." and nothing else.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

So those few archive/screenshot links with a sentence or two each is it? That's the most tame thing I have read in awhile. Best of luck in your pursuits I guess.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

In the same post he mentioned getting a number of CIG fans to work together to help him. Toss in that he is in an authoritarian position on two communities, and also has close ties to CIG they have dug themselves into a big hole. For example, posting in /r/dereksmart and /r/starcitizen that they should spam-report his accounts to shut him down and to use alts to get around blocks will show that Reddit was used as a staging ground to try and defame Smart. They can't even delete it as the damage has been done and all the data saved.

The thing is, Derek doesn't even need to win. He just needs to make the hearings long and expensive. And people like Trevor need to not only attend but fight it to prevent a default judgement.

The biggest mistake these people made (Dolvak, Dickwulf, etc) was to make the hate subs. They went on a crusade publicly stating they are actively looking to ruin Derek Smart's career and finances because he has criticized a 3rd party. The fact CIG is a 3rd party also has impact because nothing Trevor/Dickwulf have done can be attributed to Derek being a critic of CIG.

This is before looking not only into their personal relationship with CIG, but also using INN's visibility to promote attacking Smart's career.

It's almost funny because it show just how blind these people are. They have been digging into Smart's history, wife, and business as well as his finances. They have been archiving all of his online activity over the past decade, and they've created a community dedicated to stalking him. And yet when they are called out by name they try to play an innocent victim.

Nah, doesn't work that way. They are going to be hosed one way or another unless they convince Derek not to sue.

No idea what INN is, but he also has a storied history and has been hiring people to "research" the people saying mean things about him, some of which he shares with the public in a weird way. With the additional details you provided it sounds like a courtroom shitshow for the ages on both sides. Neither side is wholly innocent, to be sure. What a crazy sue happy world we live in.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

The thing is Derek can afford the shitshow. These people cannot.

Civil lawsuits are often a war of financial attrition, it's why most companies settle even if they could win- only because the cost of the trials would exceed the settlement even if they won.

I am fully aware of that. Just saying it's a Goddamn disaster on all sides. Seriously Derek, how much of your life have you wasted with this business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

How can you call it wasted?

Even if I don't agree with someone's methods or personality, I don't like seeing someone develop a mental illness or an extremely unhealthy obsession over something.

• Locked thread